View Full Version : Is there a standard format for library eBooks?

RonaldJJames
03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm looking for an Ebook Reader and one of my requirements is the ability to read eBooks from public libraries. I understand that the ePub format supports book expiration and would therefore be suitable for libraries to provide. Are there other formats that libraries may provide?

Thanks

Croptop
03-04-2010, 09:46 AM
ePub is the only format I've encountered so far but that doesn't mean that there aren't other formats in use elsewhere.

phansen1218
03-04-2010, 09:46 AM
The 2 library's I have access to both have epub books (they use overdrive). I am using a sony prs-600 and have had no trouble downloading books from both of them.

Ken Maltby
03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I think most require that you obtain a library card with that library system/city, to use
their ebook loaning setup. Which means that you will have to conform to the formats
that the library system(s) you are a resident of, are using. For most of us, that limits
our choices, a lot.

The library Systems I have encountered are not shy about the services they offer,
you should find it all spelled out on their web site.

Luck;
Ken

rcuadro
03-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I have seen PDF and ePub... and the library used Overdrive.

I forgot... there are a couple books available as mobi but not many...

TallMomof2
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
It depends. At my library ebooks are offered in ePub, PDF, or MOBI. Only newer ebooks may be offered in ePub and occasionally MOBI. Older ebooks are offered mostly in MOBI with a smattering of PDF.

Newer versus older refers to when the ebook was added to the collection. Assuming that you have the same Overdrive interface you will be able to list the books in order of when they were added.

My local library system usually has an ebook inventory of around 500 ebooks most of which are best sellers.

asjogren
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
My Public Library (Seattle using Overdrive.com) has all 3 and all 3 have DRM:
- PDF has the most
- ePub seems be getting more of the new titles
- Mobi

I still await the eReader that handles all 3 with no "games". A notebook or netbook computer with Adobe Digital Editions plus MobiPocket Reader at present appears to be the best single solution.

I hope some of the future hybrid devices will solve this. I expect the Entourage Edge will with additional software in the near future.

dsvick
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Cleveland has ePub, PDF, and mobi. The greatest number are in PDF, but the newer ones are in ePub so they are slowly converting.

DawnFalcon
03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I hope some of the future hybrid devices will solve this.

Mobipocket (i.e. Amazon) refuse to allow that.

asjogren
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Amazon may not create the application, but all the pieces are available.

There are non-Amazon applications that can read, display, and convert to/from Mobi.

The encryption scheme is already known. Creating a "new" MobiPocket ID and registering it with your library is not a problem - I already registered my Kindle.

Unless MobiPocket PATENTED the process, it seems to me that processes that we can do with scripts and Calibre could be implemented in a new eReader program. And if done appropriately, would not expose an unencrypted eBook.

If any of these (future) eReaders is straight Linux and supports WINE and is/or emulates Intel, then a real MobiPocket Reader can be installed.

edembowski
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The encryption scheme is already known. Creating a "new" MobiPocket ID and registering it with your library is not a problem - I already registered my Kindle.

A sane person may take this approach. Unfortunately, the authors and supporters of the DMCA to not take this position, and anyone making a 3rd party implementation would face legal problems. This is one of those things where there is not a great deal of case law to support or reject the implementation, but I strongly suspect that it would not go well. In any case, there will be a legal problem.

If any of these (future) eReaders is straight Linux and supports WINE and is/or emulates Intel, then a real MobiPocket Reader can be installed.

This would be another good way to go, but software distribution would be a problem. The user would need to follow some type of procedure to get the software installed (the 3rd party could not redistribute the app without a license).

- Ed

Joykins
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I've seen epub, pdf, and mobi.

My nook can handle the epub and pdf just fine, and the fact is they don't have anything in mobi that they don't have in pdf in the libraries I use.

Sydney's Mom
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Chicago Public Library has pdf, epub and mobi. Epub seems to be taking the lead. I read all 3 on my kindle, and don't worry about the fact that I use something to break DRM in order to get them in a format my kindle will read. I actually would enjoy being the defendant in a "Kindle user reads library books!" copyright suit.

guyanonymous
03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
A little graphic illustration about why DRM doesn't work (one of many out there)....this one applies to libraries and Overdrive.

p.s., is there a way to have your attached images display inline in your text?

Jim Lester
03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
A little graphic illustration...
If you are going to repost the guy's work, the least you could do is to give him credit. This work came from Brad Colbow: http://www.bradcolbow.com/archive.php/?p=205

guyanonymous
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Considering I didn't find it on his site or with any reference to his site, and his name isn't on the art at all, that's kinda hard. But thanks for assuming I'd purposely shunned the (to me) unknown artist.

But thanks for the link to his site, as I'll check it out in the future.

Jim Lester
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Google to the rescue http://www.google.com/search?q="Why+DRM+Doesn't+Work"+graphic
First hit (and most of the others) will get you to attributed inclusions.

Edit: But looking through the list there seems to be plenty of other unattributed placements as well. Sorry it's a peeve.