View Full Version : Entourage eDGe - Great Reader for Scientists

zetareticuli
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Guys, here are some pictures of the Entourage eDGe displaying the Kepler Extrasolar Planet Finder Instrument Handbook. This is the perfect example of a technical PDF. The same type of PDF that engineers and scientists read. The eDGe does a wonderful job displaying technical PDFs. It really looks no different than reading it on computer using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The overexposure in the pictures is the result of the light sources around. It actually looks excellent and very sharp.

ckole
03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
What size was the PDF doc formatted for? 8.5 x 11? If it is that format this is super promising. I have lots of company manuals which I want on a device. My Nook just doesn't work well.

Also can you tell me the physical measurements of the eink screen. Width and Height.

Thanks!

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Yes, 8.5 by 11 is the format for this. As far as the exact physical measurements of the eInk screen, I don't have those right now for the eDGe. I will take measurements later today and post them here.

osama_jamal
03-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Super clear images!!
Way to go eDGe. I think this product is the most advanced eReader available at the moment.

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Super clear images!!
Way to go eDGe. I think this product is the most advanced eReader available at the moment.

Agreed.

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
it seems the same as my kindle DX in quality (same screen tech of course for the eink side). Si I m unsure as to why the edge claims the title as best ereade for scientist. I am a little dubious of the form factor and power consumption based on the second screen

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I checked it is the exact same size and resolution as the Kindle DX screen. I think this is an interesting device as I have never met a gadget i did not like, but it seems sorta frakenstein to me.

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
PDFs look better on the eDGe than the Kindle DX. I have performed side by side comparison with several PDFs and the eDGe wins hands down. The hardware is comparable but the eDGe software for the eInk is better. I think that explains the difference. In addition to this, PDF Table of Contents works and zooming is excellent. Of course, Amazon could release software updates to the Kindle DX that offer similar functionality as far as displaying PDF is concerned.

Now, the eDGe's biggest issues are portability and battery life. At over 3 lbs, the eDGe weighs more than many 10.1" netbooks. Also, the eDGe has sides (the eInk and the LCD), this makes handling it more difficult than the Kindle DX. In addition to this, the battery life of the eDGe is shorter than the Kindle DX by at least a few hundred page turns. Also, Kindle DX gives you access to the rich selection of the Amazon Kindle store. Other than these items, the eDGe is light years ahead and there is no comparison as far as features and functionality.

If Amazon would fix some of the issues with the Kindle DX (better PDF support, folder structure, etc), it would make the Kindle DX a much more attractive device.

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
PDFs look better on the eDGe than the Kindle DX. I have performed side by side comparison with several PDFs and the eDGe wins hands down. The hardware is comparable but the eDGe software for the eInk is better. I think that explains the difference. In addition to this, PDF Table of Contents works and zooming is excellent. Of course, Amazon could release software updates to the Kindle DX that offer similar functionality as far as displaying PDF is concerned.

Now, the eDGe's biggest issues are portability and battery life. At over 3 lbs, the eDGe weighs more than many 10.1" netbooks. Also, the eDGe has sides (the eInk and the LCD), this makes handling it more difficult than the Kindle DX. In addition to this, the battery life of the eDGe is shorter than the Kindle DX by at least a few hundred page turns. Also, Kindle DX gives you access to the rich selection of the Amazon Kindle store. Other than these items, the eDGe is light years ahead and there is no comparison as far as features and functionality.

If Amazon would fix some of the issues with the Kindle DX (better PDF support, folder structure, etc), it would make the Kindle DX a much more attractive device.

I would love to see the kindle and the edge side by side with a technical pdf

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Guys, here are some pictures of the Entourage eDGe displaying the Kepler Extrasolar Planet Finder Instrument Handbook. This is the perfect example of a technical PDF. The same type of PDF that engineers and scientists read. The eDGe does a wonderful job displaying technical PDFs. It really looks no different than reading it on computer using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The overexposure in the pictures is the result of the light sources around. It actually looks excellent and very sharp.

can you post the pdf so i can try it on my kindle for comparisons

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/manuals/KSCI-19033-001.pdf

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 06:25 PM

attached is a kindle dx image (from me cell phone) i am not sure but it looks the same as the edge (its dark and cruddy because my phone camera is weak)

wallcraft
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Also can you tell me the physical measurements of the eink screen. Width and Height Same Vizplex screen as the Kindle DX:

(140 203mm) 9.7" 825 1200 pixels, 150 ppi

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 06:52 PM
For some reason, I see the eDGe's sharper. Could be my eyes, though. My main issue is that I am stuck with whatever I see on the DX. With the eDGe, I can zoom in. I really would love to use the DX but the poor PDF support is a big issue for me. 99% of the documents I read are in PDF.

SCION
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
..it seems sorta frakenstein to me.

:laugh3:

davidspitzer
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
For some reason, I see the eDGe's sharper. Could be my eyes, though. My main issue is that I am stuck with whatever I see on the DX. With the eDGe, I can zoom in. I really would love to use the DX but the poor PDF support is a big issue for me. 99% of the documents I read are in PDF.

you can read in landscape which zooms in and crops the white space - I am sure amazon will be expanding the pdf features in the near future also - I am sorta wary of being orphaned by the company that makes edge if they do not do well - Amazon is not going anywhere soon

zetareticuli
03-04-2010, 09:43 PM
It's a much higher probability with Entourage Systems than with Amazon, I agree.

In my opinion, the PDF functionality of the DX is just not good enough for what I need. Hopefully, they will improve the functionality with software updates.

cacapee
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Any comments on the 8 shades of gray that the edge's eink screen has versus the 16 shades of gray that the kindle dx has? I just noticed this discrepancy and wanted to see if it was a deal breaker...

Thanks

Batman Jr.
03-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Any comments on the 8 shades of gray that the edge's eink screen has versus the 16 shades of gray that the kindle dx has? I just noticed this discrepancy and wanted to see if it was a deal breaker...

Thanks

cacapee,

I have compared my Kindle 2's screen with the eDGe's and have not seen any discernible difference. In fairness, I will say that I didn't perceive the low contrast that many Kindle owners reported on Amazon's forums last spring, so maybe I'm just not able to distinguish differences subtly enough. I do, though, notice some increase in sharpness since the latest Kindle firmware update. So for me it's at worst a wash, and if more shades are "better" maybe the eDGe provides more bang for the buck in that regard.

Purge
03-06-2010, 02:06 PM
What's the contrast like on the e-ink screen?

I've got a PRS 600 and the contrast annoys the hell out of me. So much so I'm looking at getting a new reader.

Batman Jr.
03-07-2010, 03:07 AM
What's the contrast like on the e-ink screen?

I've got a PRS 600 and the contrast annoys the hell out of me. So much so I'm looking at getting a new reader.

Purge,

Seems fine to me, no problems with clarity of type, ghosting, etc.

fgruber
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi

What is you experience with the annotations and journal app? Are they responsive enough for writing math/engineering derivations?

Fred

sarah11918
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Sorry, bad internet connection. Duplicate post. See next post.

sarah11918
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
The journal app is almost on par with the Journal experience on a Tablet PC. As a journal-warrior on Tablet PCs (tutored math, so a lot of equations and solutions), I'm pretty impressed.

The speed is definitely quick enough to keep up, and even when it lags behind, the lag is only in the display. It does catch everything you write. As mentioned in the laptop magazine review, it's slower if you put the "smooth my handwriting out" tool on while you write. Best bet is to write for a bit, then hit the smooth button. Also, there are different page backgrounds: blank, graph, lined etc. I find that with a blank background, there's next to no lag and the writing is sharp, even before smoothing. With any other kind of visible background, it's marginally less good, but still absolutely fine.

Less than a tablet PC in that it can't do colours (only shades of gray) and no handwriting recognition, but quite comparable in most other aspects. The journal was one of the main reasons I bought the eDGe, and I'm very pleased.

fgruber
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
thanks. That sounds good.

It would be fantastic if they decide to add handwriting recognition and voice/annotation sync like in onenote...

paulckennedy
03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
As far as contrast is concerned, I must say that I am VERY pleased with the eDGe.

I currently have the eDGe about 2 feet to my right opened up flat. The lcd is off and I have a copy of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead on the eInk side. Now it may be me but I have often found myself in shock at how "Paper" like the eDGe displays the eInk. I have the font at a Medium setting and it is quite comfortable to just glance to my right and simply read.

Now I am at work so normally I would have a programming related PDF open for reference but I must say that even with this epub open, I never had this kind of visual experience with any of the Kindles that I have owned.

sarah11918
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I currently have the eDGe about 2 feet to my right opened up flat. The lcd is off and I have a copy of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead on the eInk side. Now it may be me but I have often found myself in shock at how "Paper" like the eDGe displays the eInk. I have the font at a Medium setting and it is quite comfortable to just glance to my right and simply read.

Hubby had the same reaction. The viewing angles are amazing. The LCD side, not so much, but the eInk side, yes.

kevindorsey
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I got to see this, as my gf could probably use a viewer like this. She is a PHD student and has shown an interest in readers.

zetareticuli
03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
The more I use it, the more impressed I become. The eDGe is definitely the best e-reader I have used so far. The eInk display is excellent, viewing angles are great, very sharp and readable. All my scientific and technical papers are displayed great by the eDGe. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it feels heavy after holding it for a while. I have to put it down on a table or support it on something, very much like a thick text book.

X. Trapnel
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Tiny question: when you zoom (eg to crop away whitespace/margins), does it know to preserve that zoom for the rest of the PDF's pages? Does it save the zoom for the next time you open the file?
Thanks to everyone for posting this stuff!

zetareticuli
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
For the first question the answer is yes. For the second question, in truth I have not even noticed. I will do some testing and post the results.

TallMomof2
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
One of the coolest features is the ability to copy an image from the eInk side to the LCD side. This allows you to see the image (or graph or chart) in color. The image stays on the LCD screen even after you "turn" the page on the eInk side.

DaleDe
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
One of the coolest features is the ability to copy an image from the eInk side to the LCD side. This allows you to see the image (or graph or chart) in color. The image stays on the LCD screen even after you "turn" the page on the eInk side.

That is a really useful feature. Often the text describing an image extends to the next page.

Dale

andrys
03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

I agree with you on the DX needing the full Adobe PDF support.

The DX, otherwise, has a really beautiful screen (for my eyesight at least), but I prefer the Landscape mode for many PDFs on it. Since that way they are sometimes larger/wider, with bigger fonts than one might get on an 8.5 x 11 screen, that works for me except with multiple columns that are long vertically in that you have to turn a page to scroll down and then go Prev to get the next column. There I'd love the zoom probably.

Since we're looking at pics of technical paper PDFs with regard to clarity, I have some photos of the DX display of PDFs, including sheet music (the little squiggles can be very key) as well as electronic manuals (+ webbrowsing pictures) at http://bit.ly/kdxphotos ... If they added the zoom and editing capabilities, that DX would be a killer.

I suspect it is something about Adobe and Amazon as competitors in some area or is Amazon just not willing to spend the money Adobe would charge them for it. I don't get it.

Having said that, I am used to using the PDFs as reference and putting a copy into mobi format and marking that one up from with the highlighting and note organization you can get on the device (multiple search results with finds in context and links to the pages plus the password-protected webpage we get for our annotations (if we don't disable annotation backups with the book to their servers).

A sample of the annotations page (all notes can be seen on one long scrolling page for each book if you like) is at http://bit.ly/kwebnotesample
- I chose a short one with no private notes for the sample for a blog entry on annotations.

I explain the annotation features a bit at my blog entry at http://bit.ly/webknotes1 and I just saw Batman's problems at one time.

Batman, if you're reading, software update v2.33 fixed that sluggishness in a big way.

But the interactive features from Entourage Edge's e-paper screen to the LCD are very nifty. Scribbled notes others can read easily when comparing thoughts on a PDF are very nice in that they appear with the PDF to anyone reading it.

I like the regular Kindle features available with that.

Batman Jr.
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree with you on the DX needing the full Adobe PDF support.

The DX, otherwise, has a really beautiful screen (for my eyesight at least), but I prefer the Landscape mode for many PDFs on it. Since that way they are sometimes larger/wider, with bigger fonts than one might get on an 8.5 x 11 screen, that works for me except with multiple columns that are long vertically in that you have to turn a page to scroll down and then go Prev to get the next column. There I'd love the zoom probably.

Since we're looking at pics of technical paper PDFs with regard to clarity, I have some photos of the DX display of PDFs, including sheet music (the little squiggles can be very key) as well as electronic manuals (+ webbrowsing pictures) at http://bit.ly/kdxphotos ... If they added the zoom and editing capabilities, that DX would be a killer.

I suspect it is something about Adobe and Amazon as competitors in some area or is Amazon just not willing to spend the money Adobe would charge them for it. I don't get it.

Having said that, I am used to using the PDFs as reference and putting a copy into mobi format and marking that one up from with the highlighting and note organization you can get on the device (multiple search results with finds in context and links to the pages plus the password-protected webpage we get for our annotations (if we don't disable annotation backups with the book to their servers).

A sample of the annotations page (all notes can be seen on one long scrolling page for each book if you like) is at http://bit.ly/kwebnotesample
- I chose a short one with no private notes for the sample for a blog entry on annotations.

I explain the annotation features a bit at my blog entry at http://bit.ly/webknotes1 and I just saw Batman's problems at one time.

Batman, if you're reading, software update v2.33 fixed that sluggishness in a big way.

But the interactive features from Entourage Edge's e-paper screen to the LCD are very nifty. Scribbled notes others can read easily when comparing thoughts on a PDF are very nice in that they appear with the PDF to anyone reading it.

I like the regular Kindle features available with that.

Hi Andrys,

Yes, I have noticed a definite uptick in speed in the Kindle 2 processing after that update (although I had never felt it was super slow), as well as a darker contrast in the type, which again, though, had not been a problem for me in terms of reading enjoyability.