View Full Version : Amazon e-book reader

Chrism
09-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Details of an Amazon e-book reader have been leaked:-

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4121

Called the Kindle

Amazon's upcoming e-book device had its details revealed this morning when the FCC published a PDF on the device which included specifications and pictures. For those of who don't quite remember, Amazon started out with the goal of being the premier online book store -- of course today it's much bigger than that. Amazon's e-book reader, called the Kindle, is a monochromatic display that competes with the likes of Sony's own Reader.

Despite being designed to display e-books, Amazon's reader also comes with a full keyboard. Unlike Sony's product, Amazon's Kindle will let users type up their own documents or edit existing ones. No details on what formats the Kindle will be able to save to have been released. The following are its specifications:
Screen: 6-inch monochromatic 4-level gray scale LCD
Resolution: 600x800 pixels
Storage: 256MB internal
Expansion: SD slot
Audio: built-in speaker with 3.5mm stereo jack
Connectivity: EV-DO/CDMA wireless, USB 2.0
Size: 4.9-inches by 7.5 inches, 0.7 inches thick
Weight: 10.2 ounces

The Kindle is larger than Sony's Reader primarily because of the keyboard. The Kindle also has wireless connectivity, which the Reader does not. The Kindle will be manufactured by Hon Hai Precision, which is otherwise known as Foxconn. No release date has been announced.

Responsible for also manufacturing Apple's line of iPods, Foxconn was recently in a legal debacle over articles published about its treatment of employees. Apple launched a probe into Foxconn and revealed that while most situations were pleasant, Foxconn's employees still felt that there were areas that needed drastic improvement. Foxconn then went on to sue the two authors that published the original report but later dropped the suit due to pressure from the media.

Chris.

TadW
09-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi Chris,

also check out:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7569
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7570
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

It's definitely good news.

diana
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
No bad, good info, Thanks.

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
The Kindle is LCD not eink. That makes it not worth purchasing.

NatCh
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
The Kindle is LCD not eink.That's got to be an error, or typed by someone who doesn't grasp that there is a difference between e-ink and LCD -- everything else we've seen indicates e-ink. :shrug:

If it's not an error, then yeah, this think is as dead as yesterday's fish before it ever leaves the drawing board. $400 for an LCD? I don't see that happening. :unafraid:

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Probably correct about it being wrong. At least if it's to sell it better be wrong.

yvanleterrible
09-12-2007, 02:31 PM
The Kindle is definitely eink.

On page 31 in the troubleshooting part of the manual it is stated:

Q: My screen flashes every time I turn a page.
A: The flash you see when you turn a page is a normal part of the display refresh process.

Something familiar?

On page 39 of the same manual are the specs.

Display : 6" diagonal electrophoretic display 600 X 800 pixel resolution 4-level grayscale.

On page 16 of the 'retrieve Kindle' PDF document, you can clearly see the e-screen.

This is why there is so much of a good vibe going for the Kindle. Its design is awfull but the machine was promising as it was. It's built around eink and a wireless communication system.

The manual is pretty revealing and interesting to read.

To recap the source, those documents were retrieved on the FCC site while the Kindle was awaiting certification. A couple of us had the good fortune to save them and the next day they were removed from circulation.

I can just imagine how angry the officials at Amazon were.:unafraid:

Ravenflight
09-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Responsible for also manufacturing Apple's line of iPods, Foxconn was recently in a legal debacle over articles published about its treatment of employees. Apple launched a probe into Foxconn and revealed that while most situations were pleasant, Foxconn's employees still felt that there were areas that needed drastic improvement. Foxconn then went on to sue the two authors that published the original report but later dropped the suit due to pressure from the media.
Oh no, yet another device made with slave labor in China? And after I just got through forgiving myself for buying an iPod? This will not be good for my Karma. Who makes the Cybook again?

NatCh
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Bookeen "makes" the Cybook ... but it seems to be built by the same folks who build the STAReREAD device. :shrug:

Ravenflight
09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Bookeen "makes" the Cybook ... but it seems to be built by the same folks who build the STAReREAD device. :shrug:
'Build' that's what I meant- Need to know if it's built using the same group of slave labor as the Kindle and some iPods. Since I now have to base my purchasing decisions on how likely the purchase will result in me being reincarnated as a iPod assembler in China. :D

NatCh
09-14-2007, 12:51 PM
"reincarnated as a iPod assembler in China" :rofl:

yvanleterrible
09-14-2007, 02:19 PM
It's tough being an assembler when you got no hands Ravenflight(your avatar shows none):grin2:

Slave labor is kind of harsh you know. Some shops there are pretty decent. The low prices are mainly around the fact that life there is way less expensive than here and there are no unions and other factors. And products like iPods are robot built for the most part.

We should ask mogui to investigate.

nekokami
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
The reports about the Foxconn factories were mixed, but the multiple instances over the past couple of years of brick makers being rescued from factories which they weren't allowed to leave, where they were barely fed, and who were still wearing the same clothes they'd had on when they'd been "employed" can hardly be described as anything but slave labor.

NatCh
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I can think of some other descriptions, nekokami, but they wouldn't exactly be incompatible with that one. :beadyeyes

yvanleterrible
09-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes I agree that labor in general suffers, but in our case we're talking of a whole different sector of industry. And the Chinese make two different classes of workers, those who work for internal markets and those who work for export where everything made is followed by our inspectors with specific criteria in mind.

Ravenflight
09-15-2007, 11:22 AM
And the Chinese make two different classes of workers,
What kind of factory do they manufacture these workers in? Are the workers treated better if they're manufacturing export workers? :D

Tom Swift
09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Every day I see thousands of young girls trudging to the factories, filthy clothes, chains dragging in the dust.

Actually, they are all smiling and joking and holding hands because they have a job instead of having to work in a field or in a brothel. Close down the factories over here and they go back to work as prostitutes or in the fields. They get paid about $150-$300 US a month, which is a good wage over here. I can get a nice meal for under a dollar and living expenses are incredibly low. Calling it slave labour is unfair.

nekokami
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
The accusation of slavery is being made within China itself: Scores held over Chinese slavery (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6761217.stm)

While there are many decent factory jobs in China (and I've seen some of them on my visits there), there is also a genuine problem with slavery in some "illegal" factories. Let's not over-simplify-- in either direction.

JSWolf
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
And a lot of illegal look-alike drugs come from China and these drugs cause all kinds of health issues.

RWood
09-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes I agree that labor in general suffers, but in our case we're talking of a whole different sector of industry. And the Chinese make two different classes of workers, those who work for internal markets and those who work for export where everything made is followed by our inspectors with specific criteria in mind.
Such as assuring that there is enough lead in the paint on kid's toys. :D

Ravenflight
09-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Yes and the FDA recommended daily allowance of antifreeze in your toothpaste. :grin2:

yvanleterrible
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Yeah that was a biggie! But compare that error to the thousands of reliable chinese products you already own and use. Compare it again to the flawed designs we do here like 4by4 tires blowing up.

My business is suffering from the influx of cheaper products coming from China but I do keep an objective eye towards them. Most are well done and frankly, more efficiently than I could ever manage!

If we were to eliminate everything coming from Asia, services included, there would be nothing complete left to buy, not a single car, truck, TV... Even the furniture I make, in part from local woods, would lack most of the hardware to keep it together; and what of the machines to make it!

We have to stay objective and keep our minds clear on such touchy subjects. Nothing is black, nothing white, just shades fo grey...

HarryT
09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Astronomy is my main hobby, and that's been absolutely revolutionised by Chinese-made optical instruments in the last 10 years. One can buy telescopes made in China today which cost a quarter of the price that European or American-made ones did 10 years ago, and are just as high a quality. Of course there are a few "bad apples" in the Chinese manufacturing world, but I'm sure that's true of every country.

nekokami
09-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Of course there are a few "bad apples" in the Chinese manufacturing world, but I'm sure that's true of every country.
Indeed, perhaps the issue is that there are so many "apples" in China that even quite a small percentage going bad tends to be noticeable.

Ravenflight
09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah that was a biggie! But compare that error to the thousands of reliable chinese products you already own and use. Compare it again to the flawed designs we do here like 4by4 tires blowing up.
I'd have to agree with you there- I swore off buying 'American Made' automobiles a long time ago simply because of the poor build quality and bad reliability. Of course the whole concept of what is an 'American Made' car has been turned upside down what with 'American Made' Fords being manufactured in Mexico and Japanese Honda's and Toyota's being made in the United States.