View Full Version : Entourage eDGe - PDF Usage Review

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Entourage eDGe - PDF Usage Review (http://cutdapaper.com/2010/02/28/entourage-edge-pdf-usage-review/)

These are my views of the PDF capabilities of the Entourage eDGe. I can say that it is miles ahead of my experiences with the Kindle DX and definitely on par with my uses of the Adobe Reader on my PCs. The capability for the annotations and highlights will make it my main PDF viewer in the future.

:2thumbsup

Gunnerp245
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
@paulckennedy

On the eInk side;

- Can you jump to page within PDF?
- Search word within PDF?
- If PDF file has bookmarks are they active?
- Can you add bookmarks?
- How are annotations indicated in the PDF?

TIA,
Gunner...

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 11:49 AM
@paulckennedy

On the eInk side;

- Can you jump to page within PDF?
- Search word within PDF?
- If PDF file has bookmarks are they active?
- Can you add bookmarks?
- How are annotations indicated in the PDF?

TIA,
Gunner...

You can jump to any page in the PDF via the # on the bottom right of the eink screen. It opens up a keypad in the center of the eink screen.
You can search for a word in the pdf. It gives you options for whether to search in the book, google, wikipedia or the dictionary. In the book, let's you move forward and backward to the word locations. The dictionary pops up an overlay on the lcd side with the information. The google and wikipedia entries automate those tools in the web browser.
I don't have any PDFs that bookmarks with them but bookmarks are availabe from ine book information button. Dog earring a page shows up as a bookmark in the information screen. So yes you can add bookmarks.
Annotations and highlights are marked with an icon in the Book information ( index). You can show or hide them via an icon list in the interface. You can edit the information for each entry.

zetareticuli
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with Paul's view 100%. Excellent PDF support in comparison to other e-readers. Last night I did some thorough comparison with Kindle DX (my neighbor owns one). The eDGe has the edge. It is light years ahead of the Kindle DX PDF support. Honestly, even if Amazon would come out with updates to the Kindle DX, I don't think it would even come close.

Guys, overall the eDGe is an impressive device. I really wasn't expecting it to be that great so I am amazed by what I have seen. If you are considering an e-reader, you can't go wrong with the eDGe. Excellent job by Entourage. Just be aware that is weights more than a netbook in the 10" range.

scoff
02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
paulckennedy, in your review you mentioned that opening a Chinese pdf was really slow, possibly because it was downloading the required asian character library. After the initial download, do those PDFs open at a normal speed or are they slow every time?

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
It appears to be each time. They use the Adobe Mobile Reader for the software. I would wonder if it was possible to install other languages in addition to what is supplied.

mrscoach
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Does the eDGe support passworded PDFs? Unfortunately my textbooks have this. I can at least open them after the initial time if I tell it to save or remember the password, and do not have in internet connection, but I need to at least get that first time over with.

I'm tired of killing more trees by having to print off my textbooks because eye strain keeps me from reading all I need to on my computer.

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't have any to test with but I was told by a friend at Edge that they were having problems with password protected PDFs on the eink screen. I suspect that password ones should be viewable in DocsToGo but again it is using the lcd screen. I suspect th password problem can be fixed in a future software update.

mrscoach
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Thank you. I've been thinking of ordering it just to see, but I'll hold off for now. My hubby is now convinced I need a reader because I've been having to read so much, and end up seeing double in the evenings.

zetareticuli
02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't have any to try either. If you have one, send it and I will try it for you. I have opened about 200 PDF files and have not had any big issues. I did find something interesting with 4 PDF books. Neither the eInk or Docs to go, were able to display images from those PDF books. On the eInk, it's just blank space. On the LCD using Docs to go, a box is displayed with a red X where the image is. Most of the PDFs have worked and I still think PDF support is great.

zetareticuli
02-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Thank you. I've been thinking of ordering it just to see, but I'll hold off for now. My hubby is now convinced I need a reader because I've been having to read so much, and end up seeing double in the evenings.

Be aware that this thing is heavy and it's uncomfortable to hold for longer than 5 - 10 minutes. Ideally, you would need to support it on something and take the weight off your hands and arms. The eDGe weighs more than 3 lbs. Compare it to holding a netbook, a bit heavier even.

mrscoach
02-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Be aware that this thing is heavy and it's uncomfortable to hold for longer than 5 - 10 minutes. Ideally, you would need to support it on something and take the weight off your hands and arms. The eDGe weighs more than 3 lbs. Compare it to holding a netbook, a bit heavier even.

Thanks, but I read with my book or laptop sitting on the arm of the chair or couch, or even sitting in my lap, right now, so the weight isn't as much of a concern for me.

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I read some of Breaking Dawn last night in bed. Stuck my new usb light in it and propped it up on my chest folded back. It wasn't like using my Kindle 2 but it wasn't bad. Still plan on getting an Alex though for my casual reading. I am planning on the Alex because I believe it will be the easiest to share my library with.

ckole
02-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I created a simple password protected PDF. http://www.aznet.com/files/edge_test.pdf

Just a print out of one of these threads. The password is 1234.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Ckole,
The password protected pdf failed in the eink as expected but worked like a charm in DocsToGo.

mrscoach,
The id/password protected pdf failed miserably in both screens. Because of its size, I thought I had locked up the eDGe but it returned. I would definitely test that file with future purchases if that is the kind of pdfs that you have to deal with. I followed your instructions when I was finished..

mrscoach
02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks for trying, Paul. And I was so hopeful, too.

zetareticuli
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
These are items that would be easy to correct via future updates to the software... I have found additional PDFs that include images and these don't display on either screen. Opening the PDF from Windows and Linux works fine, both using Adobe Reader.

qno
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for trying, Paul. And I was so hopeful, too.

Maybe this will help you:
http://townx.org/blog/elliot/removing-password-pdf-linux

It's a workaround that gives you a password-free pdf, although it will not be 100% identical with the original.

aleks
03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Has anyone tried opening a pdf from gooble books? In particular one of the large files at 36MB or larger?

I downloade a bunch in preperation of receiving my edge and want to make sure thtey will work.

mgm1979
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I opened a couple, but nothing that large...

Dulin's Books
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
For Password PDFs Entourage will need to update/move to Adobe SDK 9.1

mrscoach
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Ahhhh, it gets worse! I just began my next class and tried to print the first chapter of my new textbook. They have told us that annotation isn't important to these, and don't have it, because we can print out a copy of the books and make notes on that. Great, except the printed copy of my chaper has the publisher's watermark across all the pages, making the text very hard to read.

I've already talked to my college, and will send an email both to the publisher and a copy to my college. this is completely unacceptable. Do they want me to read the darn book, or not?

What's really funny? It is a book on using,

wait for it,

TECHNOLOGY! Go figure.

Gunnerp245
03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
@paulckennedy

Thanks.

Gunner...

teelu
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Can entourage edge open and/or edit powerpoint / excel and ms word files

paulckennedy