View Full Version : Entourage eDGe First Impressions

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Went home and got the eDGe. It was delivered by FedEx at 10:15 AM ET. I took it out of the box, played with it for literally 5 minutes, then plugged it to charge for 8 hours (as indicated in the quick instructions that come in the box). I had to come back to work for a meeting. Here is a very quick first impressions.

1. Excellent quality, solid, for the overall unit
2. Fingerprint magnet (mine is the default blue one)
3. Stylus could have been of better quality
4. Booted up in 15 seconds
5. Good response time and fast menu navigation (faster than I expected)
6. Fast eInk (faster than Kindle DX, faster than Astak, faster than Nook, fastest I have seen so far).
7. Heavier than I expected

I plan a full review in the next few days.

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
this mirrors my fiance's impressions, to a "T" - I'll add comments after I get my hands on mine in a couple hours.

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, these things become evident within the first 2 minutes of using the eDGe. I will also be posting a full review during the weekend.

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 04:42 PM
wow - just wow...I've gotten my hands on it, finally, and Z's got it down...I'm not as familiar with the Android OS so I've fumbled around with that some, but other than that, I love this thing!

SCION
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
More, More, More!!! :popcorn:

devseev
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I was supposed to receive mine today as well, but got an apology email saying that due to unexpected shortages I would now have to wait until March 8 for my unit. Not sure how many are in the same boat as myself, but it's good to see that some people are getting theirs on time.

Like others, I am anxious for more details. Particularly curious how well this will work with Microsoft Exchange/Outlook email - opening PDF attachments, annotating them and emailing the annotated PDF.

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I will get to a better review this weekend. I will try to do a two part review. Let me play with it for a little longer before I write the review. So far, I really, really like the eDGe.

Spiritwnd
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
:mad: :wall: :mad: :whistle: :deal: :zoiks: :dots:

:mad: :deal: :ban: :zoiks: :smash: :rifle:

I think I will just go order the thing!!!!

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I can say that it is heavier than I expected. The eink is definitely faster than all of my versions of the Kindle ( I have owned all three )

The lcd is highly addictive. That being the case, I have played some with the eink but not enough to give my review yet.

Overall, I am highly impressed by everything about the eDGe except for its weight. The glossy blue case is definitely a finger print magnet. As soon as a Skinit is available, I will be buying a set to both protect my investment but also to hide the prints.

The stylus is really a simple plastic device. It's main advantage is how TIGHT it fits in the slot. You won't lose it by it falling out. That is for DAMN sure.

The hinge is very tight. The whole device feels like a professional tool. It has a lot of plastic but it definately doesn't feel cheap.

I have opened several pdfs and epubs on the eink side. Zoom and annotation works as advertised. Again it has very fast page turns. PDF reflow works. It resets the zoom level when you use it. Don't really know if it is a feature I will need but it definitely works great.

The picture tool works with even annotations which is cool. I haven't figured out how to save off the pictures that I take ( that will be cool if it is possible ) Work on the eInk side does not interfere with actions on the LCD side. It is truely a multitasking environment.

The Journal tool works exactly as demonstrated in the video. There is about a 3 second wait after pressing the Journal button for it to come up. It is the same amount of time to go back to the book mode.

I downloaded Sudoku Challenge from AndAppStore. Starting the app is slow but once up it works great!. The app comes up full screen except for the eDGe menu at the bottom of the Lcd screen. I would really like to know how to hide it except when on the Home Screen.

You can switch to the mail app without losing your place in the web app. Again it is definitely multitasking. I switched to using a usb keyboard a few minutes ago and it just works.

The money on the first releases wasn't placed in any fancy packaging. It had 3 layers of bubble wrap around it inside the FedEx package which showed just how nicely they cared for it.

I am just tickled pink.

edercito
02-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions. This is the first time since the Kindle 1 that an ebook reader caught my interest (well, this is more like a tablet). It looks particularly suited to finally be able to read scientific papers comfortably.

I do wonder if the battery life will be close to what they advertise.

Eder

karavisa
02-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Look like I will order one. I wonder if we can take a photo or video and save it to pdf

dls81
02-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Did you see the goober on ebay who has 4 of them and is trying to sell them for $1000 each?

Also, check out the numerous tutorial videos entourage has added to their youtube account.

repods
02-27-2010, 05:22 AM
I can say that it is heavier than I expected. The eink is definitely faster than all of my versions of the Kindle ( I have owned all three )

The lcd is highly addictive. That being the case, I have played some with the eink but not enough to give my review yet.

Overall, I am highly impressed by everything about the eDGe except for its weight. The glossy blue case is definitely a finger print magnet. As soon as a Skinit is available, I will be buying a set to both protect my investment but also to hide the prints.

The stylus is really a simple plastic device. It's main advantage is how TIGHT it fits in the slot. You won't lose it by it falling out. That is for DAMN sure.

The hinge is very tight. The whole device feels like a professional tool. It has a lot of plastic but it definately doesn't feel cheap.

I have opened several pdfs and epubs on the eink side. Zoom and annotation works as advertised. Again it has very fast page turns. PDF reflow works. It resets the zoom level when you use it. Don't really know if it is a feature I will need but it definitely works great.

The picture tool works with even annotations which is cool. I haven't figured out how to save off the pictures that I take ( that will be cool if it is possible ) Work on the eInk side does not interfere with actions on the LCD side. It is truely a multitasking environment.

The Journal tool works exactly as demonstrated in the video. There is about a 3 second wait after pressing the Journal button for it to come up. It is the same amount of time to go back to the book mode.

I downloaded Sudoku Challenge from AndAppStore. Starting the app is slow but once up it works great!. The app comes up full screen except for the eDGe menu at the bottom of the Lcd screen. I would really like to know how to hide it except when on the Home Screen.

You can switch to the mail app without losing your place in the web app. Again it is definitely multitasking. I switched to using a usb keyboard a few minutes ago and it just works.

The money on the first releases wasn't placed in any fancy packaging. It had 3 layers of bubble wrap around it inside the FedEx package which showed just how nicely they cared for it.

I am just tickled pink.

with the e-ink side you can only read documents or you can do other things ?
if the answer is the first.. it's not much different from having an e-ink device plus a netbook.. you simply are avoiding to use a cable, and you are gaining instead a lot of unnecessary weight when you read stuff..

think about it..

Spiritwnd
02-27-2010, 08:31 AM
:)

Mine is now on order.

For all of you Early Adopters out there, I salute you!
I was worried about it a little. Especially the case design.

-Spirit

paulckennedy
02-27-2010, 10:03 AM
with the e-ink side you can only read documents or you can do other things ?
if the answer is the first.. it's not much different from having an e-ink device plus a netbook.. you simply are avoiding to use a cable, and you are gaining instead a lot of unnecessary weight when you read stuff..

think about it..

Right now you are correct but I say wait for the sdk to hit. I see lots of possibilities with this 2 screen format. The ability to have 2 documents open from the same library At The Same time presents a world of possibilities. Books, magazines, and Newspapers can highly expand with the interactive capabilities.

Right now, it appears to be a very capable and fast eink device.

Spiritwnd
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
... I see lots of possibilities with this 2 screen format. The ability to have 2 documents open from the same library At The Same time presents a world of possibilities. Books, magazines, and Newspapers can highly expand with the interactive capabilities...

Very interesting concept that might well be a two-point-oh add in the software adaptation for the device.
It appears to me that the company is very forward with communications and might be equally as forward regarding concepts. With Andriod at the heart of the device, it is going to be wide open so that when the SDK is out perhaps we will see the beginning of the "Android-Edge apps".

paulckennedy
02-27-2010, 10:44 AM
I am not saying to wait on a 2.0 version but instead to see what happens when the sdk gets to outside developers. Ths thing is an Android device which means that the eink side is simply new hardware programable from the sdk. This is where this thiing can get wild. As android dev I can immediately work with the lcd side. It is the eink implementation that I need guidance on controling. That is where the sdk will shoot it out of the park.

Spiritwnd
02-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with the don't wait and SDK subject matter.

However, we are now :offtopic: and in dire need of having the moderators give Edge it's own forums with a dev forum where we can resume this.
As a developer, Edge will be my second Android device but my first desire to start playing with Android development - especially if I can design apps for that eInk screen.

paulckennedy
02-27-2010, 11:41 AM
You asked. I answered. For first impressions, my comments were spot on and in MY opinion ON TOPIC.

Spiritwnd
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
WE (I am equally as guilty) got off topic when we started dreaming about potential Dev for the item.
YOU are right that your first impression are on topic.

Sorry - thought I made it clear when I said we needed a dev forum to continue the discussion.

zetareticuli
02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Guys, I agree with everything Paul mentioned earlier in his "quick review". I am impressed. Excellent, excellent device. No doubt about it. Excellent for a first release device. Very, very impressive. Very fast eInk. Page turns, zooming, PDF display capability, technical PDFs display very well. Fastest eInk refresh I have seen so far. One big negative is the weight. It is much heavier than I expected. I will be posting a full review later on along with some pictures.

mgm1979
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Good point, Z...in regards to a first generation device. Any tech-geek will tell you about the hardships and shoot/miss experiences with first of its kind gadgets, especially cutting edge technology like this. enTourage has CLEARLY done their homework with this one. While my fiance and I have both noticed some laggy software - THAT is the only negative we can find, and we ARE looking for faults! Weight aside, this thing is absolutely incredible, and the folks in VA are to be commended for bringing such a quality device to market ON TIME...the laggy software is sure to be cured with software updates, which I expect (based on my customer service experiences so far) to arrive fast and furious, once they get through this huge launch rush.

We are BOTH more than satisfied with our investments, and HIGHLY recommend anyone contemplating an order to jump on the bandwagon - as Paul has said, this thing has LOADS of possibilities once things REALLY get moving with inside/outside developers.

soilwork
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
It sounds very good so far, but I wonder how long the battery will last while using e-ink screen with some occasional annotation. Could some of the owners give us some rough estimates?

repods
02-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Good point, Z...in regards to a first generation device. Any tech-geek will tell you about the hardships and shoot/miss experiences with first of its kind gadgets, especially cutting edge technology like this. enTourage has CLEARLY done their homework with this one. While my fiance and I have both noticed some laggy software - THAT is the only negative we can find, and we ARE looking for faults! Weight aside, this thing is absolutely incredible, and the folks in VA are to be commended for bringing such a quality device to market ON TIME...the laggy software is sure to be cured with software updates, which I expect (based on my customer service experiences so far) to arrive fast and furious, once they get through this huge launch rush.

We are BOTH more than satisfied with our investments, and HIGHLY recommend anyone contemplating an order to jump on the bandwagon - as Paul has said, this thing has LOADS of possibilities once things REALLY get moving with inside/outside developers.

well you are right but when the possibilities will be out most likely more similar devices will be on sale..
well one good thing is that now the others e-ink device makers can stop playing marketing games with customers and show their real stuff..
I guess you know who I'm talking about..

paulckennedy
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I can definitely say that I miss Flash when using the web on the Edge. I definitely don't see how the iPad web experience could be any different.

scoff
02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I hope someone who has the eDGe would be kind of enough to check (or tell me if you know already) how it handles finding annotations. One of Entourage's youtube videos said that the table of contents will show you all the pages you've to which you've attached notes. Will it also show you all the pages you've annotated?

I would be purchasing the device for academic reading and plan to do a lot of annotation, so I'm wondering how one would go about keeping track of all the annotations.

Also, does the dictionary feature work for any languages other than English?

zetareticuli
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Scoff, I will be doing this testing for you and will post the results.

cacapee
02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
We need that sub-forum!

Zetareticuli - What would be the best way to get started with developing for android on the edge. First thing I'll be looking at is a chm reader if it doesn't already exist.

zetareticuli
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
The first step is to become familiar with the device itself. Use it thoroughly for a few days and discover its strengths and limitations. From there, we can create a list of items that we would like added and take it from there.

Spiritwnd
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Oddly enough,the app is titled "Android CHM Ebook Reader" from HYStudio

Got mine for the G1 from the Marketplace and it is also available at androilib (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.org-hystudio-android-chm-jmij.aspx)

It is okay, a couple of bugs but works for the most part.

-Spirit

cacapee
02-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice... Thanks for the link

What happens when you fold the edge screens all the way back. That is, how protected is the screen on the back when using the one on the front?

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
The eDGe has the bezel which is raised from the screen by a few millimeters. Also the bezel has rubber points around the device about a millimeter tall. That said, on a flat surface the screens are not touching the surface. Locking the lcd disables all of its buttons but the menu button and powers it down. Clicking the menu button rwice unlocks the lcd. I don't. Know if it is possible to disable the buttons on the eink screen.

cacapee
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Guess I'll have to look for a case that can fold back to protect the back screen.

Can you download/open pdfs from the internet/intranet? That would be the thing that would make it truly awesome for me...

paulckennedy
02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Cacapee,
I have been dowloading them all day!

cacapee
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice!

devseev
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
A few questions for the lucky owners:

1. Can you password-protect the device? E.g. via boot-up password, etc?

2. How good/fast is video playback? Youtube clips from web, Mpeg4 from internal storage?

3. What kind of peripherals work via USB besides flash drive and keyboard? Mouse? Printer? An external DVD drive would be nice if DVD video would be supported.

Gunnerp245
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
@paulckennedy

From the video review at Laptop Magazine,
http://www.entourageedge.com/blog/?p=401, they show/talk about handwritten notes.

Do the handwritten notes have to be hidden or can they be left always viewable? If always viewable, are Notes which are applied via the LCD keyboard still accessible via the Notes Icon?

Gunner...