View Full Version : Entourage eDGe Update

zetareticuli
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Received an email from Entourage that I pasted below. Really, I was expecting something like this. I never expected all the functionality out of the box so the message came as no surprise to me.

Congratulations on your purchase of the world's first dualbook! You are part of a small group who will receive the very first shipment of the enTourage eDGe™. As an early adopter, your device will arrive running the first production version of our operating software. This software has some limitations that will be fixed with a software update in the coming months.

Our software update will provide support and functionality for the following:
Bluetooth profiles for keyboards and stereo headphones
Flash Lite support
Still and video camera capabilities

We will notify you when the update is available so you can download it directly to the device and bring your enTourage eDGe™ to its full operating potential.

In the meantime, enjoy the many other groundbreaking capabilities of your new dualbook, the enTourage eDGe™.

Batman Jr.
02-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Received an email from Entourage that I pasted below. Really, I was expecting something like this. I never expected all the functionality out of the box so the message came as no surprise to me.

Congratulations on your purchase of the world's first dualbook! You are part of a small group who will receive the very first shipment of the enTourage eDGe™. As an early adopter, your device will arrive running the first production version of our operating software. This software has some limitations that will be fixed with a software update in the coming months.

Our software update will provide support and functionality for the following:
Bluetooth profiles for keyboards and stereo headphones
Flash Lite support
Still and video camera capabilities

We will notify you when the update is available so you can download it directly to the device and bring your enTourage eDGe™ to its full operating potential.

In the meantime, enjoy the many other groundbreaking capabilities of your new dualbook, the enTourage eDGe™.

zetareticuli,

I received the same message. The only one of these three features I was expecting to be present at the outset was the still/video camera functions, as it was a prominent part of the marketing campaign. I've been impressed with enTourage's customer responsiveness and integrity so far, so I hope this doesn't indicate a lot of "surprises" to come.

zetareticuli
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Good point. The camera functionality is not a big deal to me right now. But since it was mentioned in the marketing campaign, they should have specified it would be a future add-on from the software side.

paulckennedy
02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Congrats guys. I posted a similar thread about mine. So far I count 4 of us who got the email.

Who else is out there??? yippee!!!

cacapee
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Me too! Can't wait to hack...

Batman Jr.
02-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Anyone else daring to hope that this notice might mean that shipping will start next Monday instead of next Friday? :pray:

EDIT: Just got my credit card authorization! :yes: :batman:

dls81
02-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Got my email yesterday as well. My card has a pending charge that was initiated on the 19th.

Did you guys check out the new tutorial video that Entourage put on youtube?

zetareticuli
02-20-2010, 08:52 AM
My card also has a hold. I am hoping it will ship monday. I am going to check out the youtube video. Haven't seen it yet.

zetareticuli
02-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Just watched the video. Very good. From the video, I really don't see any big delay in the time it takes to respond to commands. This is really one of my biggest concerns. How responsive the eDGe is. I doesn't look bad at all in the video.

dls81
02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
My card also has a hold. I am hoping it will ship monday. I am going to check out the youtube video. Haven't seen it yet.

I thought it was nice for them to put it out before shipping so we can have an idea of how to use the different buttons and features before we even have it in our hands.

zetareticuli
02-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Yes. I really like what I have seen from Entourage so far.

mgm1979
02-21-2010, 09:28 PM
yeah, now that this is about as official as its gonna get before they actually get in our hands, we should get an OFFICIAL enTourage eDGe section in the forums going...lets go Mods :hint

ckole
02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
There are a bunch of new short video describer features in detail. While I look forward to the first "Hands On" reviews Entourage is doing an excellent job of describing the device in detail. I have asked Tech Support a few questions and they were very prompt with answers.

I asked them about the Android Marketplace and that is a "not yet" item. I guess in order to have the marketplace you have to be a partner with Google. They did say you should be able to manually load applications. Hopefully a few more devices like this will come out and be powered by Android. Then you really should see some apps that cater to the larger screen format.

I currently own a Nook and like it. This will hopefully take things to the next level. I am really looking for a device that will allow me to read manuals from work.

paulckennedy
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
AndAppStore.com has an client app which allows Android applications to be purchased from them via PayPal and then downloaded. I am anticipating this being my main vehicle for purchasing Android apps. It isn't the Android Marketplace but I don't see a reason why it won't work.

zetareticuli
02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I will be writing applications for the eDGe and taking requests for applications after I have owned it for a couple of weeks or so.

ckole
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think it has this feature but a good RSS reader with download capability would be nice. If and when I get one I am sure Caliber will work. However, it would be nice to have something directly on the device where you will be able to download when connected and then read anywhere.

paulckennedy
02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
FeedR_News_Reader (http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/apps/FeedR_News_Reader)

Looked up RSS feeds on AndAppStore and found FeedR. I use Tabloid.com to send me a PDF file with my RSS feeds in my email. I want to see how well it handles the pdf on the Edge.

mgm1979
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
so, here's a silly uneducated programming language. Is there a way to develop a script or something that could upscale whatever Android Apps we run through it to take advantage of the larger screen??? (wouldn't THAT be cool!?!?!)

Again, I don't know what I'm talking about...just thinking/dreaming out loud...

zetareticuli
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Are you referring to the eInk display or the regular LCD screen? Writing stuff for the eInk display is much more challenging and depends almost entirely on an SDK that Entourage would need to make available specifically for that.

paulckennedy
02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Has anyone had their order changed from Pre-Approved to Shipping yet? Not here. I was really hoping that it might be here by Thursday. Would have made a great Birthday present.
:(

zetareticuli
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Paul, Happy Birthday! No, man. My credit card shows a hold but the amount has not actually been debited yet. Mine still shows "pre-approved". I really hope I am wrong but I don't really expect to receive the eDGe until mid/end of next week.

paulckennedy
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Me either but I can still hope. Thanks.

mgm1979
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Are you referring to the eInk display or the regular LCD screen? Writing stuff for the eInk display is much more challenging and depends almost entirely on an SDK that Entourage would need to make available specifically for that.

yeah, the LCD screen...so that rather than running Android Apps as they are already written, and doing so in a window the size of a smartphone, we could "upscale" those apps to use the larger screen...???

Paul, Happy B-Day...no change in order status here either - and I'm like you...keep checking every day! I fear an arrival by the end of next week is more likely - especially since I only paid for the standard ground shipping...sigh.

Batman Jr.
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Me either but I can still hope. Thanks.

No joy here, either. :sad:

zetareticuli
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes, the applications can be adapted to the larger screen. As far as receiving the eDGe, I say we won't get it until next week, a March delivery date as I always suspected.

paulckennedy
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Did you notice the API Demo icon and the supplied game in the videos?

Applications Snapshot (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4059393&l=f62e30cf63&id=611906681)

They look cool!

zetareticuli
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, those are very cool. I can't wait to start writing code for it.

paulckennedy
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM
zetareticuli,
do you have an avd built for the Edge spec? I set Android 1.6, screen spec 1024x600 and it fails to open.

zetareticuli
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Paul, yes, I get the exact same thing. I only played with it briefly but I get the exact same thing. I will have more time this weekend to get back to work on it.

Batman Jr.
02-26-2010, 12:52 AM
F.Y.I - They've started to ship, and for at least two of us with overnight delivery! Yeah, baby!

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 12:53 AM
You beat me to it Batman! :rofl:

Batman Jr.
02-26-2010, 12:56 AM
You beat me to it Batman! :rofl:

:bow2: :batman:

cacapee
02-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Can't wait for the reviews. Shouldn't we get a new forum for this by now?

dls81
02-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Order shipped! It should be to my friend's house today and then I just have to wait for her to ship it out to me, so I should see it in about another week... I can't wait!

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 08:17 AM
It is now 50 miles away from me. This is like Christmas!!!

Congrats dls81.

dls81
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Oddly enough I paid for ground shipping and they sent it overnight. I'm not complaining!

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
My order also shows shipped. I also received the confirmation email. After I receive it, I will write a review after I have had it for a few days. I paid for ground shipping so it won't be until late next week.

dls81
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Z - check your tracking. I paid for ground and got overnight.

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Thank you. You're right! It shows delivery by 10:30 AM today! I wonder if they will leave the box or I will have to go to them later to pick it up. There is noone home right now...

Batman Jr.
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
It is now 50 miles away from me. This is like Christmas!!!

Congrats dls81.

In my city and on the truck for delivery! :yes:

dls81
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Grrr how frustrating! I wish I could be getting mine today!

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Can't wait for the reviews. Shouldn't we get a new forum for this by now?

I emailed the admins asking for a forum - maybe MORE of us should...???

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
In my city and on the truck for delivery! :yes:

On the truck here too!

:happybounce::knuddel::sweethear:party4:
:locked:
:dtw::drinks::pandalol:

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 11:40 AM
DELIVERED!!! My Fiance will be bringing it to me here at the office in an hour or two!!!

SCION
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm excited for everyone. :happydance: Time for me to start following the review posts! :D

zetareticuli
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Went home and got it. I will be posting first impressions in a separate thread.

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
YEAH zetareticui!!!!

Still waiting! :(

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
DELIVERED!!! My Fiance will be bringing it to me here at the office in an hour or two!!!

Congrats!!!!:thumbsup:

Batman Jr.
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Ditto (on the delivered part, that is :))! It's at the office waiting to be claimed. Now I've got to sit through an already-scheduled car repair, then it's play time! :yahoo:

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I live in the boonies so I have to wait till 12 or 1.

Playtime is a coming!!!

We NEED that Forum! I see a lot of topics on the Edge's capabilities as well as some wonderful reviews in the VERY NEAR future!!!

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I live in the boonies so I have to wait till 12 or 1.

Playtime is a coming!!!

We NEED that Forum! I see a lot of topics on the Edge's capabilities as well as some wonderful reviews in the VERY NEAR future!!!

Yeah, I figure we need (at least) the following structure:

enTourage eDGe
> Accessories
> Applications
> Developer's Corner
> Troubleshooting

repods
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
but the edge is sold in europe ?

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
mgm1979 You got my vote!