View Full Version : eBook download errors - who to contact?

ATimson
02-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I've got about a dozen books that I can't download from Simon & Schuster; Adobe Digital Editions reports "E_ADEPT_INTERNAL", while Sony Reader reports "Adobe error (-1044)".

Who should I be contacting to get this resolved? (Hopefully not Simon & Schuster, since their customer service is just ignoring me...)

frabjous
02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Simon and Schuster, unfortunately, are probably the right people to contact.

But you might try with Adobe, just to see what happens.

Jim Lester
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Better still (says the Adobe person), try contacting the place you purchased the book from.

ATimson
02-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Better still (says the Adobe person), try contacting the place you purchased the book from.
Sorry for lack of clarity - the retailer is Simon & Schuster, in addition to being a book that they published. :)

Well, I'll try a fifth attempt at contacting them, I guess. *sigh*

dmapr
02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I've got about a dozen books that I can't download from Simon & Schuster; Adobe Digital Editions reports "E_ADEPT_INTERNAL", while Sony Reader reports "Adobe error (-1044)".

Who should I be contacting to get this resolved? (Hopefully not Simon & Schuster, since their customer service is just ignoring me...)

If you can't get it resolved in a couple of weeks and paid with a credit card, contact the CC company and ask for a chargeback. In my experience that does wonders to responsiveness of CS.

rmm200
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
The concept of having a dozen books I paid for and can't download boggles me... This technology is in such flux, and most publishers have no clue what they are doing. I would download one, make sure the download is successful, make sure the book displays well on my device, make sure it is worth the money I paid - and only then move on to buying the next.

No publisher will ever be into me for more than one book at a time...
Especially with their policy of no refunds even if they deliver the wrong book.

Robert

ATimson
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
The concept of having a dozen books I paid for and can't download boggles me... This technology is in such flux, and most publishers have no clue what they are doing. I would download one, make sure the download is successful, make sure the book displays well on my device, make sure it is worth the money I paid - and only then move on to buying the next.
In my defense, these are titles that I purchased several years ago in MS Reader, and have successfully downloaded & "backed up". It's their ePub replacements which, while not strictly owed or required, I'm trying to acquire anyways.