Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Big problem with my Pocket Pro

Ok, so the other day my PP was stuck on the start up screen and would not turn off. I reset it... it still would not turn off or start, just stuck on the start up screen. Finally I reset again and it worked.

Tonight I go to use it... the same problem but far worse. I even took out the battery and the device did not turn off! Just stayed on the start up screen. But it won't actually start. So, the device is now unusable. It will not turn on or off. Just stuck on the start up screen. I have tried plugging it in to charge, still no change.

So any advice? To me the machine seems dead.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Ok, so the other day my PP was stuck on the start up screen and would not turn off. I reset it... it still would not turn off or start, just stuck on the start up screen. Finally I reset again and it worked.

Tonight I go to use it... the same problem but far worse. I even took out the battery and the device did not turn off! Just stayed on the start up screen. But it won't actually start. So, the device is now unusable. It will not turn on or off. Just stuck on the start up screen. I have tried plugging it in to charge, still no change.

The e-Ink screen will stay at the same place it was when power is removed.

Would it Power off if you held the power button a really long press?
Did you try with the SD Card removed (Disk type error)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Laura, let us help!!

Quote:

Dear Laura:

1. It is normal for an E-Ink screen to keep displaying with the battery removed. That is how these screens work. They use zero power to display an image.
2. USE ASTAK!! Call Elliott toll free at 1-866-368-8788 and let him suggest how to fix the problem. IF he cannot fix it, he will replace it. You have great customer support here... so use it!!

Do not worry. Are you positive the battery is 100% fully charged? Did you note the lightning bolt in the battery icon when you thought it was charging?
If no lightning bolt it is NOT charging.

It could be just a bad battery... but the first question we ask is: ARE you positive it is fully charged?

We will get you right!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The e-Ink screen will stay at the same place it was when power is removed.

Would it Power off if you held the power button a really long press?
Did you try with the SD Card removed (Disk type error)?
It would not power off even holding the button for a long time. I left it charging overnight and now it will power on and off but still never goes past the start up screen. And yeah, tried it without the SD card and still nothing.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Laura:

1. It is normal for an E-Ink screen to keep displaying with the battery removed. That is how these screens work. They use zero power to display an image.
2. USE ASTAK!! Call Elliott toll free at 1-866-368-8788 and let him suggest how to fix the problem. IF he cannot fix it, he will replace it. You have great customer support here... so use it!!

Do not worry. Are you positive the battery is 100% fully charged? Did you note the lightning bolt in the battery icon when you thought it was charging?
If no lightning bolt it is NOT charging.

It could be just a bad battery... but the first question we ask is: ARE you positive it is fully charged?

We will get you right!!
Hi Robert,

I contacted tech support and Elliot has replied. He suggested something, I tried it, didn't work. So I have replied and told him so. As for the battery being fully charged, it was on half charge when the problem started. When I tried to plut it in to charge it as I said it will not go past the start up screen. No lightening bolt shows up. BUT, the light indicator was flashing amber and today when I got up it was solid green which I think means fully charged. But still nothing.

My partner also has a PP so I will try their battery and see if it's a battery issue.
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Laura81
Addict

Ok, I tried my partner's battery and that still didn't fix the problem so it's not a battery issue.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
An idea way out in the open but...would a reflash of the firmware fix it?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
An idea way out in the open but...would a reflash of the firmware fix it?
I don't know that it would even be possible since I can't get anything except the "Starting" message to appear on the screen. There'd be no away to access the options to do the firmware.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
I don't know that it would even be possible since I can't get anything except the "Starting" message to appear on the screen. There'd be no away to access the options to do the firmware.
Could be a FW corruption? Try to do a re-flash of the latest firmware (put the latest one unziped on the root of the SD card, put it on the PP and turn it ON while presing the right page arrow at the left side of the unit). If that dont fix it it could be a HW problem
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Flashing might work, because it happens before the "start-up" process start to run.
At least you have a friend handy to write the setupv5.bin to a SD card (in case you do not have a card reader handy)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Laura, for trying hard!

Dear Laura:

I feel badly as I want you to get to enjoy the device and keep enjoying it.

Getting an RMA from Elliott is very simple and we can get right on the problem. I appreciate that you are trying everything.

Just please do not worry. I am monitoring all of this and stand ready to assist.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Laura81
Addict

Thanks Robert. I tried reflashing the firmware as was suggested here and by Elliot. It didn't work. It will not show me anything other than the starting screen. So I guess at this stage I will just have to send the device back for a replacement, which will suck being without one for what will probably be weeks but at least it's still under warranty!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Robertb

Sending it via RMA and weeks

Quote:
Thanks Robert. I tried reflashing the firmware as was suggested here and by Elliot. It didn't work. It will not show me anything other than the starting screen. So I guess at this stage I will just have to send the device back for a replacement, which will suck being without one for what will probably be weeks but at least it's still under warranty!
Dear Laura:

I am really sorry. Very rarely does this happen. In any case, I will monitor and rush them.

I do not remember where you are located. But, we are not like huge companies that take weeks to turn something around. I would anticipate that as soon as they get it a new one will me mailed out the next morning.
Send me a PM and I will send you the tracking number so you are informed at least. Let me know in the PM your full billing name and where you live. Let me try to make this quick for you. Keep your SD card PLEASE! Send everything else back as you will almost certainly be getting a brand new one.

I am deeply sorry.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Same thing happened to my pocket pro... the little loading bar on the bottom of the start screen would only get to about two bars... then nothing... It kept getting worse with each use till it stopped working all together. I sent mine back through fedex and they had mailed me a new new one the same day they got the broken one. I had my replacement before the week was up (mailed it on a monday and got it on a thrusday). Of course it will depend how far you are from the shipping location and what day of the week you mail it on. But it was fairly fast.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Robertb

Nimblem... thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
Same thing happened to my pocket pro... the little loading bar on the bottom of the start screen would only get to about two bars... then nothing... It kept getting worse with each use till it stopped working all together. I sent mine back through fedex and they had mailed me a new new one the same day they got the broken one. I had my replacement before the week was up (mailed it on a monday and got it on a thrusday). Of course it will depend how far you are from the shipping location and what day of the week you mail it on. But it was fairly fast.
Dear nimblem:

I appreciate your post. Many places you go you see only complaints. I have never seen so many happy people taking the time to tell their experiences.

I am pleased we took good care of you and hope we can make this fast for Laura!!