View Full Version : Design the ultimate eBook site

ondabeach
02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for more suggestions of what you would like in the ultimate eBook site. Both from the perspective of an Author and a Reader.

For the Authors we have:

Free autonomous uploading to the library, you maintain full direct control over your eBook and it's appearance in the library.

If need be we will convert your eBook to ePUB format for you free of charge.

The ONLY fee you pay is 15% of the (sale price - PayPal fee which is 30 cents plus 2.9% of the sale price) So if your eBook sells for $2.99 you will receive $2.21

$2.99
- .39 PayPal
- .39 ZuluExpress
= $2.21 You

For the Readers:

Completely anonymous eBook purchase and download. You don not need to become a member or be logged in to the site to download our free public domain titles or to purchase paid eBooks.

For Members:

Book Lists on your Member's page:
"Wish List" for both free and paid eBooks with direct purchase and/or download.
"My Uploaded eBooks" eBooks you have published in the library
"My Downloaded eBooks" free and paid eBooks can be re-downloaded any time anywhere.

For Everyone:

No Adds
No Popups
No Cookies

Coming Next:

"Recommend This eBook" links so that you can "One Click" recommend an eBook to your friends on Twitter, Face-book and other social networks (requires that you enter your login details for the desired network in your profile). Your recommendation will include a link to take them straight to that eBook in the library.

Please check out the site (www.zuluexpress.com (http://www.zuluexpress.com)) if you get a chance and let me know what you think, and what would like to see added.

Cheers,

ondabeach.

pagansoul
02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
You should explain that it is not possible to download a ebook at this time only to place on your wish list.

ondabeach
02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi pagansoul,

To download an eBook simply click the green arrow below the word "FREE" ;)
you can do that either from the library or your eBook "Lists"

I just tested it both as a visitor and as a member.

Cheers.

HarryT
02-07-2010, 10:35 AM
For Everyone:

No Adds
No Popups
No Cookies

Why do you consider "no cookies" to be a good thing, if I may ask? I want a site to remember who I am, to offer me suggestions as to what may interest me based on what I've bought previously, and so on. Why should I have to re-enter all the information that I've already told you, when cookies provide a perfectly good mechanism for that information to be stored for re-use?

JSWolf
02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
The ultimate eBook site would also sell eBooks with no DRM. That means current NYT bestsellers DRM free (as an example).

ondabeach
02-07-2010, 10:50 AM
A lot of people are suspicious of cookies and about the only thing that can't be done without them is auto-login. As for a member's habits on the site are concerned, I can get that information from the database. SQL is a beautful thing ;)

However, if people want auto-login they by God they shall have it!! That's kinda the whole point of the thread. This is actually a genuine opportunity for people to quite literally design "The ultimate eBook site".

Cheers.

ondabeach
02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
The only kind of eBooks we have are non DRM ePUBs :)

t-town
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
This thing just has an awful design. Great initiative, awful design.

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Agreed: The site sorely needs to be brought up-to-date visually.

You may benefit from one of the online web template sites that will let you download a ready-made design and use it as-is, or (if you're good with photoshop) make light to heavy modifications to it. The Read an E-Book Week site (http://www.ebookweek.com/) did this with FreeWebsiteTemplates.com (http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/), and it made a huge difference in the look of Rita's site.

There are, of course, sites that will charge you for a template, but I'd start with the free services, because the template variety and quality aren't bed.

ondabeach
02-07-2010, 06:09 PM
The overall asthetic of a site (or anything for that matter) is made up of many things. So it would be really useful if you could be a little more specific.

Do you mean the colors, contrast, layout, quality of images/custom graphics?

And are you talking about the home page, other pages in particular?

I've had feedback from other MR users saying they really like the look of the site so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do about your suggestion.

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
The overall asthetic of a site (or anything for that matter) is made up of many things. So it would be really useful if you could be a little more specific.

Okay: From my perspective, the "Zulu green" is okay. The banner and navigators don't work as-is: The banner should be at the top. I'd more closely tie together the site name graphic and the Zulu character, make them parts of the same image basically. The navigation buttons are overly large and awkward-looking, and should be underneath the banner.

The homepage needs clearer subdividing of the three sections. Vertical dividers would work, so would table frames or different table cell colors (at least for the center column, to provide separation from the other two). I'd remove the center justification on the homepage text.

I would also remove the center-justification from the Publishing page text... and if the Forums page is not active yet, remove the navigation button.

The other pages are essentially okay.

HarryT
02-08-2010, 02:43 AM
The only kind of eBooks we have are non DRM ePUBs :)

Does that mean that you won't be selling e-books from the major publishers who insist on DRM and geographical restrictions?

ondabeach
02-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks Steve, now that is something I can chew on ;)

ondabeach
02-08-2010, 04:38 AM
Yes Harry that's right, only DRM-free ePUBs with no geographic restrictions. That may not help us get rich but we built the site as a place for authors to self publish and sell direct to the public. We don't accept copyrighted work from anyone but the author.

AFK_Matrix
02-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi Ondabeach,

I hopefully sent a nice long pm to you about your site. Hope it helps mate, I too would say the site needs a graphical update. I have used templates for a web making tool called Joomla. Nice tool as it has a behind the scenes GUI that makes it easy to change things, I used it as I am a noob when it comes to site design. I came up with a great looking webpage with it.

HarryT
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Yes Harry that's right, only DRM-free ePUBs with no geographic restrictions. That may not help us get rich but we built the site as a place for authors to self publish and sell direct to the public. We don't accept copyrighted work from anyone but the author.

Oh, I see. I hadn't appreciated that.

camino real
02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen? Don't just leave it to the authors to do this job, a second pair of eyes always catches something the original writer may miss.

Perhaps, for a fee, you could offer editing facilities for prospective new authors? I've downloaded far too many $1.99 and $2.99 novels which look a mess and are almost unreadable.

I do realise Sturgeon's Law plays a large part in self-publishing! :)

AFK_Matrix
02-08-2010, 06:41 AM
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen? Don't just leave it to the authors to do this job, a second pair of eyes always catches something the original writer may miss.

Perhaps, for a fee, you could offer editing facilities for prospective new authors? I've downloaded far too many $1.99 and $2.99 novels which look a mess and are almost unreadable.

Or if that is a little too hard, maybe a section where readers can notify authors of books that need their formating looked at?

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I've always felt authors/publishers should include their contact information with the book itself; I do, and I always respond to e-mails about formatting issues. But it doesn't hurt if there is a similar contact point for ZuluExpress, to pass on that info (or to be informed when authors seem to be ignoring their customers' requests for formatting fixes).

ondabeach
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Tks guys, I'm loving all this feedback. I have made a pretty radical change to the home page, check it out.

If it gets the nod I'll implement the look throughout the site :)

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
It's definitely an improvement!

GyGeek
02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, better.

ondabeach
02-09-2010, 01:39 AM

Hi camino,

I know exactly what you mean. All of the public domain titles on the site have been edited. We have had emails from readers letting us know of formatting issues which we passed onto the author and saw the issue through to a happy resolution for all.

Obviously prevention is better that cure and we offer to help authors in any way we can to prepare their eBook for uploading. As a matter of course, we download new eBooks and make sure they open in ADE and if we notice anything glaring we inform the author.

So basically we are providing an editing service of sorts for free, though I definately see merit in a full editing service.

ondabeach
02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
I've always felt authors/publishers should include their contact information with the book itself; I do, and I always respond to e-mails about formatting issues. But it doesn't hurt if there is a similar contact point for ZuluExpress, to pass on that info (or to be informed when authors seem to be ignoring their customers' requests for formatting fixes).

Top shelf stuff as always Steve, having your email and website details in your eBook is a no-brainer (you'd think). How about I add an "e-Mail the Author link" for each book in the library. The link would also appear in the member's "Downloaded eBooks" list.

I could also add a little blurb to the receipt page the customer sees after their payment has been received.

Something along the lines of "We constantly monitor the quality bla bla.... but if you find any errors bla bla..... please contact the author here joe@bla.com. If you do not recieve a reply then contact us here bla bla. And we will bla bla.

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
bla bla bla... uh, I mean, yeah, that's the stuff.

GhostHawk
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Much improved!

Hope you'll get lots of authors wanting to list books with you. :)

ondabeach
02-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Much improved!

Hope you'll get lots of authors wanting to list books with you. :)

Me too! :thanks:

ondabeach
02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
bla bla bla... uh, I mean, yeah, that's the stuff.

Hey, they don't call me the Word Smith for nothing. Actually they don't call me that at all........ :chinscratch:

ondabeach
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
I want a site to remember who I am...

Your wish is my command. ZuluExpress now has auto Login using cookies :)

ondabeach
02-11-2010, 04:33 AM
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen?

We can't guarantee the quality of presentation, but we do proof read new uploads to the site. I will be adding an extra little button that will appear alongside each eBook in the library to be used to report any problems with formatting or anything else. Sort of a "Make a comment about this eBook" kind of thing.

There will be another button that let's members "Follow" an eBook (or an Author and all their eBooks). "Follows" are lists of events related to an eBook or Author, these events include (selectable) "Comments" (mentioned above), notification of a review being posted, a sale of said eBook, update/edit of said eBook etc. Member's "Follow Lists" will be accessible from the Member's Profile Page :D

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok, I've given the library a face lift, check it out and let me know what you think.

John F
02-17-2010, 08:49 AM

For the Readers:

Completely anonymous eBook purchase and download. You don not need to become a member or be logged in to the site to download our free public domain titles or to purchase paid eBooks.

Has this changed? I can't seem to do anything without logging in.

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 04:54 PM
:smack: doh!

:angry: my bad.

:chinscratch: not enough sleep?

:thumbsup: Fixed!

:D Tks.

JSWolf
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Making someone register to see the site is a bad idea. Making them register to download/buy anything is ok.

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 05:19 PM
You don't need to log in to view or download eBooks guys, I had a brain fart at 2am and uploaded an incorrect file version to the site. It is fixed now and ZuluExpress is once again the land of the anonymous. Of course I'll be adding lots of cool stuff for member's only, just ask and you shall (might;) receive.

But please do tell me what you think of the new look for the library :)

cbarnett
02-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I like the look, but when I click on the Library button, the buttons on the far right beside the book description are truncated and unreadable. I'm still impressed with your site and what you're trying to achieve with it! :thanks:

Elfwreck
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Poor grammar and punctuation in book descriptions doesn't inspire me to download those books. (And claiming that The Lost World created the genre of science fiction is a bit much... a lot of people put Shelley's Frankenstein as the first science fiction novel.)

The text boxes with the book descriptions should have a slight internal margins; it's hard to read text that's flush against the lines of the boxes.

The formatting of the books themselves--some of the free ones, anyway--is not good in the Firefox ePub reader. Some have no indents for paragraphs *and* no spaces between paragraphs; the Kipling poetry has hard returns after every line (with space between, even inside verses) and no bolding or indication of the start of a poem other than all caps; Dracula has chapters named Navpoint 1 through Navpoint 9.

Should not have clickable sub-sections with no content. If there are no books in that category, the link shouldn't be live.

Also--no direct download. Clicking "download now" opens a new tab in Firefox which opens the epub. The books should have a direct right-click-to-download button.

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Also--no direct download. Clicking "download now" opens a new tab in Firefox which opens the epub. The books should have a direct right-click-to-download button.

This is actually due to the Firefox ePub app... it did the same for me. When I dumped the app, I retained download ability. (IOW, a problem with the app, not Zulu.)

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Tks cbarnett, glad you like where it's headed.

Elfwreck, tks for your comments about the formatting, I will pass them on to the people editing the eBooks writing the synopses.

As far as who started the Sci-Fi genre, I'm sure there are dead people all over the world who would argue with both of us, if they weren't dead that is! :rofl:

Tks for the info re the FF ePub app Stevo, as soon as I make any money you're going the payroll! :D (You do know I won't rest until ZR is a place you'd be proud to market your works)

I am in the process of creating new buttons to replace those daggy text ones (books by this author, reviews etc) so that column will dissappear soon.

JSWolf
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
And make it easy to find free books.

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi wolf, you mean as a search option on the library screen, something like a filter? Right now 70% of our eBooks are free :) There is an option there now to 'Sort' your search result and one of the criteria you can choose is price.

JSWolf
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi wolf, you mean as a search option on the library screen, something like a filter? Right now 70% of our eBooks are free :) There is an option there now to 'Sort' your search result and one of the criteria you can choose is price.

Not an option to sort on price, but a link that's easily seen to click to see a list of just the free eBooks that you can sort in multiple ways.

ondabeach
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
A filter it is that asking for you are? (that's my Yoda impersonation)

No problemo, on the library page, to the left (or above) the 'Sort By' box I will add an option to only show eBooks that are 'Free', under $3 or whatever.

I will now sharpen my coding pencil and be at it :)

ondabeach
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Guys, I've made some more changes/refinements based on these suggestions and ones from other threads. Some things are still coming but need to wait as they require broader changes throughout the site. I can't thank you all enough for your ideas, just keep'em comin'. the library page is starting to look pretty cool and I've got the required button clicks find and download/buy eBooks to a minimum.

If I let something slip through the cracks make sure to let me know.

Hi JSWOLF, your filter for hiding public domain titles is going in today.

Hi Elfwreck, we have started re-editing all of our public domain titles, synopses and sample chapters.

I'd love some feedback on the new feel to the library page and some more ideas to keep me working and out of trouble :) Check it out here (http://www.zuluexpress.com).

GhostHawk
02-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Starting to get places. :)

I love the direct download links, sorting by price, etc.
Wishing you all the best, keep doing what your doing!

pricecw
02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Running Firefox with noscript I get nothing but an xml <!--. Everything else is blocked.

My basic opinion, if the site requires me to allow it to run scripts before I see what it is, it isn't worth the time to look at it. I really don't feel it worth the risk to allow anonymous sites to run scripts the moment I visit the site. To many security holes in the OSs today to trust that.

From what you said, PayPal has a lot of people flocking away from it. I left when I had a bad e-bay transaction and they would not help at all. Really showed their colors. Anyway, depending fully on PayPal, you will lose costumers.

--Carl

ondabeach
02-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Starting to get places. :)

I love the direct download links, sorting by price, etc.
Wishing you all the best, keep doing what your doing!

:thanks:

Steven Lyle Jordan
02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
From what you said, PayPal has a lot of people flocking away from it. I left when I had a bad e-bay transaction and they would not help at all. Really showed their colors. Anyway, depending fully on PayPal, you will lose costumers.

I have not had that experience at all, since I started using PayPal for sales. Just sayin'.

HarryT
02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure what the perceived risks of PayPal are. Perhaps it's different in the US, but in the UK PayPal are a bank, regulated by the Financial Services Authority just like every other bank, and your money is perfectly safe.

JSWolf
02-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Since this is going to be the ultimate eBook site, all eBooks would be free forever.

frank.w
02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
they do add functionality that I find useful -- I'd also go a step further and suggest that a sprinkling of advertising probably wouldn't hurt, it could add to the look of your pages, and would certainly provide a bit of revenue - money that could mean the difference between sucess and failure at some point.

In the end, the best thing your can give your visitors is choice.

- Frank

ondabeach
02-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi pricecw, sorry mate but our website is too dynamic by design not to use javascript. Also sorry to hear you had a bad e-bay experience but PayPal are still the best of the 'bad bunch'.

Hi Steve, same here, I think PayPal rocks, but then again everybody screws the pooch from time to time.

Hi Frank.w, yes, I have tasted cookies and they're mighty fine. I implemented cookies and auto-login after Harry made his cookie comment earlier. Sorry if I respond too fast to reuests, I don't want to give any-one head spins lol. I'm trying to avoid advertising as it is one of my pet hates on web-sites. We may accept ads from people or companies providing services to authors such as copyrighting etc at some point though.

Hi JSWolf, mate you'll have to convince the authors to give their work away gratis, if you succeed let me know and get them on the site ;) , we can promise we'll continue to operate on the smallest profit margin possible to encourage low prices on eBooks though.

cbarnett
02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
ondabeach, why don't you put a link to zuluexpress in your sig? I think you'd be totally justified, and then we don't have to hunt up the url (and you don't have to remember to post it) when you let us know about updates or changes, etc.

SimonSays
03-01-2010, 12:15 AM
hmm I only see 10 books in the library but know there has to be more than that because depending on how I sort them, I see different titles, however, I can never view more than 10. Shouldn't their be a "next" or "more" button

Using SRWare Iron browser if it helps any

pricecw
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what the perceived risks of PayPal are. Perhaps it's different in the US, but in the UK PayPal are a bank, regulated by the Financial Services Authority just like every other bank, and your money is perfectly safe.

Not here in the US, they are just a corporation and there are a number of web sites that tell the tale of the customer woe. Personally, I was happy with them, and trusted they would be there as they said when I needed them. They however did not stand up to their agreement with me. So I cancelled the account then and there, and the ebay one. Went from spending significant $$ with them to not using them. I figure a company will always show it's colors when they have a problem to resolve, that when you decide if it is worth remaining a customer.

Hi pricecw, sorry mate but our website is too dynamic by design not to use javascript. Also sorry to hear you had a bad e-bay experience but PayPal are still the best of the 'bad bunch'.

Sorry to hear this. It isn't hard to have a webpage that isn't 100% scripts. Also, as above, PayPal will keep me out of your store. I am probably not a huge loss to you, and your store isn't a huge loss to me. I was trying to point out limitations that would stop your site from becoming the ultimate eBook site.

--Carl

ondabeach
03-01-2010, 03:14 AM
No worries Carl, at the end of the day we all have to be true to our own self, thanks for your input.

GeoffC
03-01-2010, 06:30 AM
ondabeach, why don't you put a link to zuluexpress in your sig? I think you'd be totally justified, and then we don't have to hunt up the url (and you don't have to remember to post it) when you let us know about updates or changes, etc.

seconded ... (please...)

ondabeach
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Hope you like the signature. :D

ondabeach
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
maybe this time....

GeoffC
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
maybe this time....

bravo - now we don't have to search ! - just look for you .....

Direct Ebooks
03-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Must admit, I have found paypal great as well, both on a personal and ecommerce level. A little bit expensive, but that would be my only gripe.

jabberwock_11
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
The library browsing isn't as easy as it was when the site first went up. It's become difficult to browse through the books because it only allows you to view ten books and does not have a "next" button or even any indication that there are more than ten books in any given category. Maybe a thumbnail view of the library would make it easier to browse through.

cbarnett
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
maybe this time....

Much better! :thanks:

ondabeach
03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
The library browsing isn't as easy as it was when the site first went up. It's become difficult to browse through the books because it only allows you to view ten books and does not have a "next" button or even any indication that there are more than ten books in any given category. Maybe a thumbnail view of the library would make it easier to browse through.

Hi Jabberwock,

Sorry about that, I must have broken something while I was in the process of adding a public domain filter to the library page. Everything is working as it should be now including the new fiter option which allows you to "filter' out public domain titles from your search.

Let me know if you still have dramas.

Cheers, and congrats on winning our eBook Reader comp, I hope you enjoy your BeBook Neo when it arrives :)

Rarzipace
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm with pricecw on the Javascript issue. I browse with NoScript and there's little I dislike more in terms of web design than a site that won't load word one without JS enabled. I understand that functionality may be limited with JS turned off, and for the most part I'm fairly free with my "temporarily allow" option, but if you can't be bothered to offer so much as a "Sorry, you need to enable Javascript to view this page" when I come in with JS turned off (and a reduced functionality version of the site is better), then I'm turned right off.

Why should/would I alter my browsing habits to view your site? You can't tell me if all you're showing me is a mostly-blank page with some garbled remnants of content. The anti-JS contingent online is probably pretty small, so it's reasonable to decide you don't care what we think. Just don't expect us to care to view your site--again, if I can't see anything, you can't tell me why your site is worthy of an exemption to my global blacklist.

ondabeach
03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm with pricecw on the Javascript issue. I browse with NoScript and there's little I dislike more in terms of web design than a site that won't load word one without JS enabled. I understand that functionality may be limited with JS turned off, and for the most part I'm fairly free with my "temporarily allow" option, but if you can't be bothered to offer so much as a "Sorry, you need to enable Javascript to view this page" when I come in with JS turned off (and a reduced functionality version of the site is better), then I'm turned right off.

Why should/would I alter my browsing habits to view your site? You can't tell me if all you're showing me is a mostly-blank page with some garbled remnants of content. The anti-JS contingent online is probably pretty small, so it's reasonable to decide you don't care what we think. Just don't expect us to care to view your site--again, if I can't see anything, you can't tell me why your site is worthy of an exemption to my global blacklist.

Hi Rarzipace, it's not that I don't care what you, Pricecw or other anti-scripters think, It's just a matter of priorities and pleasing the majority first.

I will get around to putting a "please turn on scripting to view this site" message up on the home page. I'm just not sure when that will percolate to the top of my list.

ondabeach
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Hey hey all you paranoid androids out there (just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you).

Just kidding, I knew someone once who was attacked and left for dead by an innocuous looking piece of Javascript!

Now I really am joking, and just to prove that I have nothing against the anti-scripting community, and that I do indeed care what everyone that is good enough to spare the time to visit our site thinks, I have added a plain text message that will appear should you have scripting disabled in your browser that the site has cooties.... I mean that it uses Javascript. :rofl:

ondabeach
03-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey JSwolf, if you're still tuned in, I have added the Public Domain filter as a checkbox option to the library page so you can exclude Public Domain titles from your search results. :)

ondabeach
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
If you're using a MID to surf the net then check this out!

I just got my hands on a Jointech JE 100 MID/eBook Reader (mobile internet device). Basically a MID is any hand-held device that you can use to surf the net. For example an iPad is a MID and so is an iPhone, as well as hundreds of other devices out there, including a lot of devices being sold as eBook Readers.

If you've ever used a MID, then you'll have discovered that not many sites can adapt themselves to the small screen format, meaning you have to scroll all over the place to see everything which is really annoying.

I am in the process of adapting ZuluExpress to resize itself to suit any screen size, so if you have a MID then check out the site and let me know if it is displaying correctly on your device (and if not, what device you have).

I think this is really important as hand-held devices are so much more convenient than laptops and are taking over as the 'portable device' of choice.

So far I have adapted the home page and the library pages and am working feverishly on the others.

Be aware that the library navigation is working in IE but is a bot dodgy in FireFox and Chrome. I am working on fixing that now I'm happy with the layout.

Cheers,

Steve.

ondabeach
03-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Hi all those anti IE people out there, you'll be happy to know that the library navigation controls all work fine in FireFox, Chrome, Opera and of course IE.

Let me know if you have any issues :)

Hamlet53
03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi. It is apparent to me that you have designed your site to be scalable for when you have a much larger number of books available, so some of my comments may not apply once your reach that state. But here goes.

Starting with your home page clicking on any of the four current choices for ebook categories (for kids, popular fiction, adult fiction, non-Fiction) presents the same list of books. What is the point of having these buttons since that is the case?

The check box to filter out public domain titles does not work. Checking it than conducting a search still returns mainly public domain titles when searching General Fiction Adventure sorted by price; almost all the titles listed are are public domain.

I don't care for the in page scroll box presentation of longer text, but that's just my preference.

I also noticed that the JavaScript code that drives your site is occasionally buggy and produces unexpected page transfers.

Still it has the potential to be a great resource.

ondabeach
03-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi Hamlet,

Thanks for the comments, very useful, I broke the home page 'Library' links yesterday when I made some other changes, my bad.

All fixed now though :)

I've tested the pub domain filter and it's working in the browsers I have for testing. Would you mind checking again and seeing if it's ok, and if not, then if you could let me know which browser you are using that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve :)

lene1949
03-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Hi Steve..

Good on you for seeking peoples suggestions to your site...

I agree with the proofreading of the books uploaded.. Some books have quite a few errors...

But, all-in-all Great job! :iloveyou:

ondabeach
03-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Hi Steve..

Good on you for seeking peoples suggestions to your site...

I agree with the proofreading of the books uploaded.. Some books have quite a few errors...

But, all-in-all Great job! :iloveyou:

Thank you so much lene, my partners, Don and Wendy originally did rough clean ups on the public domain stuff we put up there. At the moment they are going back through them all and hand editing them from beginning to end, not a job I'm envious of let me tell you.

The end result will be wonderful though, all the old classics available as beautifully presented eBooks available to everyone for free. I will be adding a button for each book in the library that you can click on to report any errors you come across. As part of that process I will also be adding an edited date/versioning system, nothing comlicated but some means of knowing if the version in the library is more up to date than the one you have.

Thanks again lene, and if you have any suggestions then please let me know.

Cheers,

Steve.