View Full Version : newer recipes in older calibre?

booksonthemove
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi,

Can recipes in newer versions of Calibre be used in older versions?

Right now I use calibre to get news on my laptop. The laptop runs linux ubuntu karmic and works with the frequently updated version of calibre that used the binary install. However I have a more powerful freebsd server.

Now, I can install calibre out of the ports tree on freebsd but it is a relatively ancient version, calibre 0.6.27_2 whereas the latest on ubuntu is 0.3.37.

I've tried just downloading the source to freebsd and compiling, but even with the required dependencies it still fails. So wil new recipes work on older software?

cheers

kiklop74
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi,

Can recipes in newer versions of Calibre be used in older versions?

Right now I use calibre to get news on my laptop. The laptop runs linux ubuntu karmic and works with the frequently updated version of calibre that used the binary install. However I have a more powerful freebsd server.

Now, I can install calibre out of the ports tree on freebsd but it is a relatively ancient version, calibre 0.6.27_2 whereas the latest on ubuntu is 0.3.37.

I've tried just downloading the source to freebsd and compiling, but even with the required dependencies it still fails. So wil new recipes work on older software?

cheers

Yes they will.

booksonthemove
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
cool! :thumbsup:

kovidgoyal
02-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes they will.

For the most part :) And dont expect that to stay the same for ever

booksonthemove
02-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Still, this is good. Now, is there a quick way of doing this that i don't know about, or is it literally look-up-new-recipie-in-new-version then copy then paste into old?

thanks!

kiklop74
02-06-2010, 07:27 AM
You can just download all recipe files posted in custom recipes thread and load them in your calibre. They will all appear in custom section.

kiklop74
02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
For the most part :) And dont expect that to stay the same for ever

The answer reflects on the current state of the matters. I know there will be changes :)

booksonthemove
02-06-2010, 07:36 AM
You can just download all recipe files posted in custom recipes thread and load them in your calibre. They will all appear in custom section.

cool, I'll do that a little later today.

AustinTim
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Are the custom recipes saved as .recipe files somewhere (automatically)?

DoctorOhh
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Are the custom recipes saved as .recipe files somewhere (automatically)?

Your custom recipes are stored in the metadata.db file. I use Notepad++ to save separately any recipes I modify as .recipe files for backup.