View Full Version : Can you do this with a copy protected epub file?

mr ploppy
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
My reader adds page numbers, which covers up the last character of a line of text once the page numbers hit double figures, and the last 2 characters once it hits treble figures, so I need to set a fairly wide right hand margin to stop this from happening.

With normal epub files I can just rename them to .zip and drop in a new stylesheet .css file with my preferred margins and other stuff. If I bought an ebook with copy protection would I still be able to do this?

Pardoz
02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
With normal epub files I can just rename them to .zip and drop in a new stylesheet .css file with my preferred margins and other stuff. If I bought an ebook with copy protection would I still be able to do this?

Only if you disinfected the DRM first.

pepak
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
You can, if your device supports user stylesheets. Sony Readers do, via a hack.

Jellby
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
If the css file is encrypted, I wonder if you can replace it with an unencrypted file...

dmapr
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
If the css file is encrypted, I wonder if you can replace it with an unencrypted file...

Yes, but you have to remove the corresponding EncryptedData node from the encryption.xml found inside META-INF directory within epub file.

pepak
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
You don't replace it. You just override ADE's defaults, which in turn are overriden by book's CSS.