View Full Version : ebook publisher & blockquotes

Chauncey
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Can some one explain what I am doing wrong with my blockquotes?

The attached image shows what I am ending up with:

Below is the code I am using:

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
td.coverpage {width:100%; height:445px; text-align:center; vertical-align:middle}
h1.booktitle {margin-top:15%}
h3.author {margin-top:5%}
h3.book {margin-top:7%}
p.blockquote {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_begin {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_mid {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_end {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
.pagebreak {page-break-before:always}
header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head}
span.header {font-size:x-small}
span.footer {font-size:x-small}
footer {display:none; display:oeb-page-foot}

</style>

<P class="blockquote_begin">The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.</P>
<P class="blockquote_end"> <b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society </P>
<P class="blockquote_begin">In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.</P>
<P class="blockquote_end"><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </P>
<br>

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Chauncey

nrapallo
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
:) Do you realize that blockquote is a reserved HTML tag name i.e. <blockquote> ... </blockquote>? It indents both left and right margins at the same time. Perhaps try that instead. :chinscratch:
(see the second and third images attached which use blockquotes for each paragraph and nested blockquotes, respectively.)

I attach a .imp ebook made using just blockquotes as per this HTML code:<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
td.coverpage {width:100%; height:445px; text-align:center; vertical-align:middle}
h1.booktitle {margin-top:15%}
h3.author {margin-top:5%}
h3.book {margin-top:7%}
p.blockquote {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_begin {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_mid {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_end {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
.pagebreak {page-break-before:always}
header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head}
span.header {font-size:x-small}
span.footer {font-size:x-small}
footer {display:none; display:oeb-page-foot}

</style>
<br>
<blockquote>The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.</blockquote>
<blockquote><b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society </blockquote>
<blockquote>In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.</blockquote>
<blockquote><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </blockquote>
<br>
<br class="pagebreak">
<blockquote>The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.<br>
<blockquote><b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society <br>
<blockquote>In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.<br>
<blockquote><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
<br>

Now addressing your problem:

Are you trying to reproduce that with your code using <p> only? If you want the text justified you might want to add the style "text-align: justify" to your <p> lines.

Your HTML code works for me as per the attached first image. :dunno:

Perhaps, you need to use the most recent version of eBook Publisher (v2.3.15) available for download here (http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/support_publisher_download.htm).

What exactly would you like to see your HTML code do?

Chauncey
01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Once again thanks for the fast responce.

LOL I do this work on three different computers, when I tried the code at home using eBook Publisher ver 2.3.9 it worked like a charm. (sorry)

As for why I want to use the code <p class="blockquote">? Well I use Editpad Pro and using it's clip function in allows me to insert
( class="blockquote") inside the <p> very quickly and I don't have to move to the end of the line and insert </blockquote> the </p> closes the blockquote.

My library is on another computer but I bastardized a text up to show where I am using it...I haven't checked out poems yet so until I come up with something better it works

Chauncey

nrapallo
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Once again thanks for the fast responce.

You're welcome! I too like using HTML code to produce .imp ebooks; it offers so much flexibility and styling to one's personal tastes. :)

LOL I do this work on three different computers, when I tried the code at home using eBook Publisher ver 2.3.9 it worked like a charm. (sorry)

As for why I want to use the code <p class="blockquote">? Well I use Editpad Pro and using it's clip function in allows me to insert
( class="blockquote") inside the <p> very quickly and I don't have to move to the end of the line and insert </blockquote> the </p> closes the blockquote.

For fun try adding italics or justification to your <p> code using the p.blockquote defined in the <style> section, as follows (in bold):p.blockquote {font-style:italic;text-align:justify;margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}

Just have fun with it!

Chauncey
02-05-2010, 03:39 AM
I have decided to revisit this posting in case anyone else has a similar problem. The code shown above does indeed result in the correct first line placement, however I had more code after the style coding which I didn't include:

<BODY style="text-indent:1em">

This was forcing the first line of the blockquote to start at indent:1em, I have corrected it for now using a div tag removing the indent.

Chauncey

DaleDe
02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I have decided to revisit this posting in case anyone else has a similar problem. The code shown above does indeed result in the correct first line placement, however I had more code after the style coding which I didn't include:
Quote:
<BODY style="text-indent:1em">

This was forcing the first line of the blockquote to start at indent:1em, I have corrected it for now using a div tag removing the indent.

Chauncey

I recently found that this body entry was required to get the indent to work properly on an eBook I was working on. It ignored the text-indent in the p entry of CSS. I would say it is a bug in eBook publisher.

Dale