View Full Version : Entourage Edge Countdown

zetareticuli
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Guys, I am on the Feb shipment of the Edge. Does anyone know what day in Feb the edge will start to ship? If it's at the turn of the month, most of us should have it next week...

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Guys, I am on the Feb shipment of the Edge. Does anyone know what day in Feb the edge will start to ship? If it's at the turn of the month, most of us should have it next week...

I am going through withdrawl since I sold my Kindles to be able to afford it. I want it BAD!!!

I have the following apps ready to pull down for it.

1. Evernote
2. Astrid
3. Android Scripting Environment
4. Solitaire for Android
5. Android Arcade Emulator
6. HandyCalc
7. DoubleTwist

Anything else I should be looking at stocking on it?

zetareticuli
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Hahah. I am getting anxious too. That is a great list of applications you have there. Try to see if there are any advanced scientific and/or graphic calcs. Those would make a nice addition. Maybe a chat client. I am also looking forward to start developing stuff for the Edge. Do you think shipments will begin early, mid, or end of next month?

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I honestly don't know.

I will have my camera ready for an UnBox review when it comes in.

jim5467
01-26-2010, 03:02 PM

What day did you make your order? I am on the March date but I ordered fairly early after the Edge was put up for sale.:(

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 03:31 PM
January 9th here. My Kindle DX sold in 19 minutes and my K2 sold in 36 hours. I thought I would get to enjoy them for at least a week while they were up for auction but that was a lost cause. boohoo....

I need my Edge. I want to play!!!!!!

jim5467
01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
January 9th here. My Kindle DX sold in 19 minutes and my K2 sold in 36 hours. I thought I would get to enjoy them for at least a week while they were up for auction but that was a lost cause. boohoo....

I need my Edge. I want to play!!!!!!

I ordered mine on January 9th also but I am listed as a March delivery in my account. Sigh. Oh well, . . .

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Where do you see the delivery group for your order? Mine shows a status of Processing. I don't see anything related to which month it will be delivered.

zetareticuli
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Mine says that my credit card will not be charged until the order ships in March 2010. However, I ordered before the ship date was changed to March. Now I am not sure whether I will get it in Feb or March.

Note that it is also possible that this is simply a generic message that is included now with all orders (stating that they will ship in March). When I placed my order, the ship date was still Feb 2010.

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Mine says that my credit card will not be charged until the order ships in March 2010. However, I ordered before the ship date was changed to March. Now I am not sure whether I will get it in Feb or March.

Note that it is also possible that this is simply a generic message that is included now with all orders (stating that they will ship in March). When I placed my order, the ship date was still Feb 2010.

Mine says the following. It is a copy/paste and notice that it doesn't mention a timeframe.

* Your credit card will not be charged until the device ships. For more information visit the FAQs.

Sorry to hear about the March ship date message on your screen.

zetareticuli
01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, no worries. I guess I will have to wait, then. I am counting on your review after you get it! I am still not convinced I will get it in March (or Feb for that matter). I am going to send them an email tomorrow so that they can tell me definitively if I am on the Feb or the March shipment.

paulckennedy
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Good. I hope that you are in the February order too.

I will definately be putting together a review.

zetareticuli
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Paul,

So I log into my account today and I get the same thing as you. I don't see any dates now. It has the same information you provided earlier for your order. I still sent them an email to get confirmation on shipping dates.

paulckennedy
01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, I am glad to see that your order says the same as mine.

After the iPad launch today, I am now really syked to see the Edge. I know how sexy the iPad is and I probably will see myself buying one for Christmas but..

The Edge just seems to have so many possibilities. The Library and the Annotations alone have me drooling. The programing capabilities of Android and the support for Flash just tops the cake.

zetareticuli
01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Very true. I think the Edge would still have the edge. I will also be ordering an Apple ipad as soon as it becomes available.

jim5467
01-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Very true. I think the Edge would still have the edge. I will also be ordering an Apple ipad as soon as it becomes available.

I agree for the price the Edge is a lot of machine. As for the ipad I have already signed up to be notified when it goes on sale.

thinkpad
01-28-2010, 05:54 AM

In my opinion it looks like the Edge it's going to kick down the iPad into its boots.

paulckennedy
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
This was posted yesterday on the Entourage Edge Community site. I thought it would add some points about the Entourage Edge in comparison to the Apple iPad.

Boris

For the same price, the eDGe gives you:
- two screens
- bigger colour screen
- stereo speakers
- dual noise-cancelling microphones
- widescreen aspect ratio
- better battery life as an eReader (16 hours vs 10)
- you can write notes on the eInk side while doing something else on the LCD
side
- webcam
- open-source OS
- third party apps more freely available (not rigourously controlled)
- non-proprietary (DRM’d) eBooks (you can buy eBooks elsewhere and use on eDGe)
- support for Office documents (read/write)
- protective cover built-in (clamshell) at no extra cost
- kickstand built-in (reverse-clamshell) at no extra cost
- easily replaceable battery (plus you can carry extras)
- support for USB devices (without needing a dock/adapter)
- supports any USB/Bluetooth keyboard (doesn’t require custom dock)
- SD card slot (doesn’t require a dongle, gives you up to 32 GB additional storage)
- not just a big iPhone – a genuinely unique device in the
phone/netbook/tablet/laptop spectrum
- over-the-air backup support
- support for handwriting with stylus
- multitasks (runs more than one app at a time)
- supports USB & AC power at the same time, without needing one-at-a-time extra dongles
- Flash (specifically Flash Lite)

If nothing else, I think the folding design is the eDGe’s significant advantage – the iPad’s design is just asking for a smashed LCD and scuff marks.

January 27, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

zetareticuli
01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah. If all those features work as advertised (and there is currently no reason to think they wouldn't), the eDGe blows the Apple ipad away... In fact, if the eDGe is as good as I hope it will be, I will immediately buy one for the wife.

I really don't consider the eDGe a dedicated ebook reader as the other devices (it is much more than that). As a matter of fact, I plan to buy another large screen dedicated e-reader device as long as the price is reasonable. Considering the price of the eDGe and of the Apple ipad, it doesn't make sense to pay $500 or more for a dedicated e-book reader device. In my opinion, the battery life alone is just not a good enough reason to spend the same amount of money on a much more limited device.

thinkpad
01-29-2010, 06:34 AM
The more I read about this device the more I want one. The only downside is that you don't get as good battery life but 16 hour+ in ereader mode is not to shabby. The fact that the battery is replaceable so you can keep a spare makes it even more attractive.

I think Entourage should point out the screen size more clearly by comparing it with a photo of another big screen reader. Took me a while to figure out that the e-ink sceen is as large as the Kindle DX.

dls81
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM

I read that they will start shipping on the 10th...

zetareticuli
01-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Feb 10th? Did you get an email from Entourage about that?

dls81
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
It's second hand information from a link in the "community" part of the entourage website. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35066954/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/
Hopefully it wasn't just pulled out of thin air. I tried to ask them (entourage) about it on facebook and they just said "february".

zetareticuli
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok, thanks. I think that date is as accurate as any so let's go with Feb 10th, which is about 2 weeks away!

dls81
01-29-2010, 10:15 AM
2 LONG weeks away, you mean :(

paulckennedy
01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Tom Conklin said in an email to me that they have yet to confirm a date yet for the February shipments and he doesn't know where Feb. 10th in the MSNBC article came from.

zetareticuli
01-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Paul, I guess that means chances are it will not be next week. Probably not until mid month. If they were to start shipping next week, they would already know it.

paulckennedy
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
That is unless they just want to make it an event.

KenK
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
2 LONG weeks away, you mean :(

Oh come on, usually "Ships February" means "we'll try to ship it by the end of February". Feb. 10 would be 17 days earlier than I expected.

zetareticuli
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I am thinking something like Feb 20th or so. I would expect it Feb 20+.

Batman Jr.
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
zetareticuli,

F.Y.I., I inquired about this because I saw the same message on my order page (I ordered on December 15). One of the officers at enTourage said it was a computer glitch, so you may very well be on the February shipping list. Good luck!

zetareticuli
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you, Batman. However, I am not holding my breath at this point. I will be very happy the day I come home from work and I see the package...

paulckennedy
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Me too

dls81
01-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I am thinking something like Feb 20th or so. I would expect it Feb 20+.

I hope you're wrong and Feb 10th is closer to the ship date, otherwise it might be late March before I even see it! It stinks that they can't ship through USPS so I could get it sent directly to my FPO address.

Did you guys order the midnight blue or fork out the extra money for a different color?

paulckennedy
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Midnight blue. Come on. $40.00 for a different colored shell? That seemed stupid to me. Just my opinion though. :)

zetareticuli
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I got the midnight blue as well. I also agree with Paul. The price difference was simply not justifiable in my opinion. I would have paid the difference for another color if the default one would have been pink or strong yellow or something. But the midnight blue one looks very nice.

paulckennedy
01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Bright Pink or Noisy Orange could have been the kicker.

dls81
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I got the midnight blue as well... Burnt orange would have been a nice option I might have considered (though not for $40).

Apparently "ships in February" really means the first week of March (week of Feb 28, I read this morning)... oh well. Hopefully mine will ship toward the beginning of the week since I preordered in December!

zetareticuli
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Did you get confirmation of this today? I still don't know when mine will ship. So I guess the new date is Feb 28th. More waiting...

zetareticuli
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Did you guys notice the price now is $499?

paulckennedy
02-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Did you get confirmation of this today? I still don't know when mine will ship. So I guess the new date is Feb 28th. More waiting...

:eek:

I have received no notification as to when it will ship.

dls81
02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I read the ship date this morning (I am 9 hours ahead of east coast) on Facebook, but when I went back to copy and paste it on here I couldn't find it! Now I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Z-
They posted about the pending price increase on the community page of the website on Jan 27. They increased the cost because of the addition of the documents to go software.

paulckennedy
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I got the tweet about the ship date on my cell phone but it disappeared from Twitter.

dls81
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
enTourage eDGe Shipping Notifications
February 2nd, 2010

Customers,

We appreciate your excitement and support for the enTourage eDGe!

Any pre-orders received by January 12 will ship the week of February 26. Shipping will then resume the week of March 26.

We thank you for your patience and enthusiasm to get the enTourage eDGe in-hand. We look forward to getting your feedback!

dls81
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
It just updated again 17 minutes ago and was reposted... Although I could have sworn this morning it said the 28th, not 26th. Glad to know I'm not losing it!

zetareticuli
02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
So it's still going to be March. If they ship Feb 26th (or 28th, no difference), we will still get it in March...

paulckennedy
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, they say the "week" of February 26th and the 26th is a Friday so maybe a little earlier. I wouldn't count on it.

zetareticuli
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I am just going to expect it in March. If we get it sooner, great. If not, March it is. I just hope it is early March.

paulckennedy
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Same here.

Oh, don't expect an SDK before the end of the year. Maybe we can influence Entourage with a set of SDK wish list topics.

loyalist
02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I too am very excited and antsy to recieve an Edge, its exactly what I need for taking notes in my college classes. Unfortunately though I didn't order until Jan 31 so I most likely won't be recieving mine until at least April.

paulckennedy
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I too am very excited and antsy to recieve an Edge, its exactly what I need for taking notes in my college classes. Unfortunately though I didn't order until Jan 31 so I most likely won't be recieving mine until at least April.

Sorry. Feel for ya.

:hatsoff:

zetareticuli
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I really want that SDK. Definitely should put together a list. Do you guys think other companies will model devices after the edge?

paulckennedy
02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know about model like it necessarily.

Too many companies are trying for a single screen concept.

I like the basic layout of the Edge and I really do think that the Edge will stay pretty unique for some time to come. Everyone is going to try to emulate the iPad.

I plan to develop to the Android implementation model suggested by the Edge. I will try to keep my concepts seperated enough that I can incorporate them into the other plethera of Android devices on the market while still leveraging the strength of the combined hardware concept of the Edge.

That is my goal. Like I said in the beginning, I like the Edge now. I used to be a devoted Kindle user until the Edge concept came out. Hopefully, the Edge will work out but I am after the Android concept not the device.

zetareticuli
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I just hope the SDK comes out sooner rather than later. The sooner it comes out, the more attractive the edge can be made to consumers. The strongest selling point of the Apple iphone is the number of applications that exist for it.

mgm1979
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Ordered one for myself AND the fiance on 12/4...its been a long wait, but I'm eager. We both got the midnight blue models b/c I figure I can get a "skinit" for mine or something. (I emailed them about making something specific for the eDGe but haven't heard back from them yet).

Feel like a kid on xmas eve...and xmas eve is gonna be a WHOLE month long! (sigh)

zetareticuli
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I would not count on receiving the eDGe before the first week of March if you are on the Feb list. Which means that those who are on the March list will probably receive it late March or early April.

sarah11918
02-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Since we're set to travel out of the country as of March 1, I emailed support to ask whether I could count on receiving the device by Feb. 26, or whether to make alternate arrangements to have someone local receive it and ship to where we'll be staying. (Hubby pre-ordered in Dec. for me as an xmas present)

I was told to make other arrangements, so it's probably safe to say that they are targeting Fri. Feb 26 (or thereabouts) as the ship date for those of us who ordered before the Jan. 12 deadline.

And yes, I shelled out the $40 for red - pretty much the only colour I would have paid extra for. At least I won't get mine mixed up with all of yours! ;)

sarah11918
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
We both got the midnight blue models b/c I figure I can get a "skinit" for mine or something.

You are an evil, evil poster! Do you know how many hours I've wasted looking at Macbook skins? It never even occurred to me to look re: eDGe as well. . .

zetareticuli
02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Sarah, that reinforces what I suspected that we still won't receive it until the first week of March... I guess when they said "ships in Feb 2010", everyone assumed it will be early Feb when it in fact meant the end of the month...

sarah11918
02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
OK, not that I need another excuse to shop, but has anyone decided yet which carrying case they'll get for the eDGe?

mgm1979
02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
OK, not that I need another excuse to shop, but has anyone decided yet which carrying case they'll get for the eDGe?

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70874

Couple suggestions in there...and I've got my eye on a couple based on the dimensions listed, but I have a feeling I'll end up taking my eDGe into Best Buy/Staples and picking up a case that I KNOW fits...of course, I could waffle on that notion like Brett Farve ponders retirement with the weeks leading up to the ship date.

:chinscratch:

sarah11918
02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks. Don't know how I didn't see that thread.

Is there a specific forum for the eDGe? did I miss that, too?

SCION
02-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I could waffle on that notion like Brett Farve ponders retirement with the weeks leading up to the ship date.
:chinscratch:

:laugh3:

mgm1979
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks. Don't know how I didn't see that thread.

Is there a specific forum for the eDGe? did I miss that, too?

not that I've seen...although, I'd vote to have one added...its about that time!

aleks
02-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I would like to see an Edge forum too. It will be useful for the reviewers that receive their units at the end of the month.

I look forward to seeing those reviews as they will help me decide on whether I want to become an Edge owner. Currently, I have a query in to see if I can pre-order and then cancel with no penalty if the reviews do not sway me to buy the edge.

Aleks

paulckennedy
02-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I would vote yes definately. There has been a lot of buzz on the Entourage Edge. It would be nice to have a single place to share about the Edge.

pendragginp
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I look forward to seeing those reviews as they will help me decide on whether I want to become an Edge owner.

Yes, I'm looking forward to that too.

The Edge or one of the Asus clamshells are what I would like for my 'long-time reader'.

aleks
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
The folks at Entoruage confirmes that I can cancel my order with no penalty prior to shipment. So, I went ahead and pre-ordered my Edge. Now I cannot wait for March 26th to roll around to see my unit shipped.

zetareticuli
02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I should get mine in 2 - 3 weeks (provided the ship date of Feb 26th still stands). I am planning on writing a review 2 or 3 days after I receive it. I am sure that will help you decide whether to cancel your order or proceed. I am hoping the experience for everyone is positive.

loyalist
02-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Just received a email newsletter from Entourage which had this to say,
"Enthusiasm continues to build around the enTourage eDGe as we announce official shipping dates. Those orders placed by Jan. 12 will be shipped on the week of Feb. 26. Shipping will resume for all other orders the week of March 26".
I guess I'll be waiting until March 26 then.

zetareticuli
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I got the same thing. I am on the Feb list, though.

sarah11918
02-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Got my tracking number!! It's been shipped. :D

paulckennedy
02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Good for you Sarah!!! :)

mgm1979
02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
nice move shipping them overnight to everyone...if that's not "class act" customer service, I don't know what is.

sarah11918
02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Absolutely. Although, if I had known they would ship overnight on the 25th, I could have had it shipped to me directly, and not to someone to receive while I travel internationally over the weekend, then ship again to my destination. So, I'm a little disappointed, not in the service, but in not knowing so that I could make the best arrangements on my end.

As it stands, my device should arrive somewhere in Florida today (where I am not!), and I won't see it until probably the end of next week. :(

dls81
03-09-2010, 03:35 AM
My edge was waiting for me at work this morning so I have it on the charger now. I can't wait to get home and give it a try! I have a slew of school documents on my laptop at home that I can't wait to make more portable.

You guys weren't kidding, though- this thing is alot heavier than I anticipated!

paulckennedy
03-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Congratulations dls81.

Yes it is heavier than expected. When you get it home, tell me what you think of the eInk screen as far as viewing angle, contrast, and page color. I personally think that it is one of the best eInk applications that I have seen in practice. I definitely like it better than any of my Kindles.

dls81
03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
The E-ink screen is fantastic! Right now, the LCD side tries to load webpages full size and cuts off the right half of them. I need to mess around with it a bit and see if I can fix that. I also can't get the dang thing to register (I keep getting Error Code 9)... The adobe server seems to be working fine though. Guess I'll have to try again later.

dls81
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I hope that the problem is not that I am not on a US server!

dls81
03-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Absolutely. Although, if I had known they would ship overnight on the 25th, I could have had it shipped to me directly, and not to someone to receive while I travel internationally over the weekend, then ship again to my destination. So, I'm a little disappointed, not in the service, but in not knowing so that I could make the best arrangements on my end.

As it stands, my device should arrive somewhere in Florida today (where I am not!), and I won't see it until probably the end of next week. :(

Sarah-

Did you get your edge yet? Were you able to register it while out of US/Canada? I am having trouble getting mine to register and don't know if its because of the foreign internet (I'm in the middle east).

sarah11918
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Sarah-

Did you get your edge yet? Were you able to register it while out of US/Canada?

Yes, and I was able to register it fine here in Mexico. So, certainly you can be outside of Canada/US when registering. I guess you'll have to ask enTourage if there might be a geographical issue.