View Full Version : New version 1.2.6 available

mikelv
01-25-2010, 09:45 AM
The new version is now available at the Mozilla-website: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281

Here is what I changed:

Support for OPDS catalogs has been added. As first Feedbooks.com and Archive.org (1.5 Million books) catalogs are available.

If you use Calibre2Opds, you can also add your Calibre catalog. Go to the EPUBReader preferences window, tab "Miscellaneous" and enter the URL of your catalog.

EPUBReader is now available in six additional languages: Greek, Spanish, French, Lithuanian, Portuguese and Chinese.

When ePub-files are saved via the EPUBReader "Save"-buttons, they get now more meaningful names (title, author). This works with all epub-files which are loaded with version 1.2.6.

The ePub-Library (which is now called "ePub-Catalog") opens now in a new tab.

The font-size of the ePub-content can now be changed on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog.

As always, please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you ;).

dpierron
01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Looks great, thanks a lot Michael ! I can't wait to run EPUBReader on a Firefox'd Mac tablet :D

Laisvunas
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Michael,

Huge thanks for the new version.

The font-size of the ePub-content can now be changed.

This feature does not seem to be working either on FF 3.5.7 or on FF 3.6 . I tried to change font size of the content pane using both buttons and preferences dialog.

mikelv
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Michael,

Huge thanks for the new version.

This feature does not seem to be working either on FF 3.5.7 or on FF 3.6 . I tried to change font size of the content pane using both buttons and preferences dialog.

Hi Laisvunas, great that you like the new version!

Did you change the font size on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog? If so, could you please post a link to the epub with which you tried it?

Thanks,
Michael

dpierron
01-26-2010, 04:15 AM
Laisvunas,

I'm running FF 3.6 and the font size feature works very well with both the buttons and the preference dialog.

I think I may know why it does not work in your case : I once had this problem with my Sony PRS 505, when I manually edited the CSS file of a Calibre-converted ePub book, and ended up specifying font sizes using points instead of ems...

Maybe that's the problem ?

Cheers,
David.

Laisvunas
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Hi Michael,

Did you change the font size on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog? If so, could you please post a link to the epub with which you tried it?

I tried both clicking Increase font button and changing font size on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog, but neither worked for Content pane - in it font size remains the same.

I tried to change font size in the books from various sources - from epubbooks.com, from feedbooks.com, archive.org but the result was the same - no change of the font size in Content pane.

As an example of the publication I tried can serve this one:
http://www.epubbooks.com/book/292/vanity-fair

mikelv
01-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Hi Michael,

I tried both clicking Increase font button and changing font size on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog, but neither worked for Content pane - in it font size remains the same.

I tried to change font size in the books from various sources - from epubbooks.com, from feedbooks.com, archive.org but the result was the same - no change of the font size in Content pane.

As an example of the publication I tried can serve this one:
http://www.epubbooks.com/book/292/vanity-fair

I tried the epub you mentioned, it worked for me without problems.

Could you change the fontsize with the buttons in 1.2.5?
Which OS do you use?

Laisvunas
01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Michael,

My apologies for incorrect comments.

I misunderstood the sentence

The font-size of the ePub-content can now be changed.

as being written about changing font in Table of Contents pane. The new version of the same sentence

The font-size of the ePub-content can now be changed on the "Content" tab of the preferences dialog.

will not lead to any misinterpretation even such casual English speakers as me.

So, the feature you introduced works like a charm.

One small suggestion: it would be good if the user when he tries to delete a publication were faced a simple confirm dialog "Do you really want to delete the publication by ... titled ...?" It happened to me a couple of times to accidentally delete a publication by wrongly clicking "Delete" instead of "Save as file" button (they are not far away each other). The publications were free and I quickly restored them, but it seems that any irreversable change should be confirmed by the user.

nrapallo
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I just noticed that in 1.2.6 my (old) ePub-Catalog bookmark ( chrome://epubreader/content/index.html ) no longer works and I must now use: chrome://epubreader/content/catalog.xul

Did this change recently?

DaleDe
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I just noticed that in 1.2.6 my (old) ePub-Catalog bookmark ( chrome://epubreader/content/index.html ) no longer works and I must now use: chrome://epubreader/content/catalog.xul

I had to change that also. I also noticed that the bar between the content and book cannot be moved. It only collapses.

Dale

mikelv
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry, yes the URL of the library page changed. I forgot to change the URL of the bookmark. I'll fix this.

mikelv
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I had to change that also. I also noticed that the bar between the content and book cannot be moved. It only collapses.
Dale

Thanks for your feedback! Hm, yes, you are right. I'll check and fix this.

ericshliao
01-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi,
Is the feature of choosing font-face available in 1.2.6? I can't find it.

mikelv
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi,
Is the feature of choosing font-face available in 1.2.6? I can't find it.

Hi Eric! No, font-face choosing is still on the change list. I'll probably add this in the next version.

dpierron
01-27-2010, 05:06 AM
May I make a suggestion ?
If it is possible, I'd like to be able to set a custom CSS that would be applied instead (or better : above) the CSS specified in the ePub file... That's something that can be (and is) done in ADE on the PRS-505, and it changed my life !
And, of course, as another option, specifying the font family (which would probably lead to a EPUBReader-generated CSS stylesheet, in turn used as the custom one would have been, wouldn't it ?)

Anyway, thanks for the hard work on this great plugin !
David.

mikelv
01-27-2010, 11:27 AM
May I make a suggestion ?
If it is possible, I'd like to be able to set a custom CSS that would be applied instead (or better : above) the CSS specified in the ePub file... That's something that can be (and is) done in ADE on the PRS-505, and it changed my life !
And, of course, as another option, specifying the font family (which would probably lead to a EPUBReader-generated CSS stylesheet, in turn used as the custom one would have been, wouldn't it ?)

Hi David!

That's exactly what I've already done: if you change background-color, font-size etc. in the preferences, the values are saved to a CSS which is applied to the content. Additionally I'll add the possibility that you can change the font-family.

What would you like to change additionally?

dpierron
01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
The CSS ;)

Sometimes ePub books are not well formatted, and the supplied CSS make it look poorly designed (huge text in some areas, absolute positioning of paragraphs that do not fit in a mobile screen, ...).

But as a starting point, the font family and the margins will do ;)

DoctorOhh
01-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Maybe I missed it but when I click on a epub to download it automatically opens the epub. I know I can save it afterwards but it would be nice to have the option to open or save upon clicking on the file. More times then not I don't want to open it in Firefox.

DaleDe
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Maybe I missed it but when I click on a epub to download it automatically opens the epub. I know I can save it afterwards but it would be nice to have the option to open or save upon clicking on the file. More times then not I don't want to open it in Firefox.

You can always right click and download it or most browser support holding down the shift key and then clicking. This is no different that PDF's when you have a Reader installed.

Dale

DoctorOhh
01-29-2010, 12:09 AM
You can always right click and download it or most browser support holding down the shift key and then clicking.

Thanks for the reply. I do right click to download the file now. I appreciate you suggesting this option.

This is no different that PDF's when you have a Reader installed.

It is different then PDFs because I have had the pdf download extension for years. Anytime I click on a pdf I get to choose what to do with it.

If I ever see an option to choose whether to open or save added to the extension I'll jump back on board.

Thanks again for supplying the community with a great add-on. :)

mikelv
01-29-2010, 06:51 AM
One small suggestion: it would be good if the user when he tries to delete a publication were faced a simple confirm dialog "Do you really want to delete the publication by ... titled ...?" It happened to me a couple of times to accidentally delete a publication by wrongly clicking "Delete" instead of "Save as file" button (they are not far away each other). The publications were free and I quickly restored them, but it seems that any irreversable change should be confirmed by the user.

Thanks, this is a good idea. I put it on the change list.

mikelv
01-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for your feedback dwanthny!

Like mentioned by DaleDe, the easy solution is to just click on the right mouse button. I understand that it would be more convenient if you are asked if you want to open the epub in FF or store it on the disk. This was requested now several times, so I put it on the change list :).

Rickbk
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi. I just upgraded from 1.2.5 and the new library function shows My Library as _empty_. I know the books are there because I can see folders 1, 2, etc. and files in them - I can open them in the browser. The library locations is still good, as opening one of my old books (e.g. 1.pub) creates a new folder and files (e.g. 29.pub) in the same location.

mikelv
02-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Hi. I just upgraded from 1.2.5 and the new library function shows My Library as _empty_. I know the books are there because I can see folders 1, 2, etc. and files in them - I can open them in the browser. The library locations is still good, as opening one of my old books (e.g. 1.pub) creates a new folder and files (e.g. 29.pub) in the same location.

Hi Rickbk, thanks for your feedback!

- When you say "empty", don't you even see the headers (title, author)?

- Please go to the FF error console and delete all entries. Then load this page: chrome://epubreader/content/library.xul. Does it have the same effect? Please check the FF error console, if you find any errors, please post them.

- Which FF version, which OS do you use?

Michael

Rickbk
02-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Hi Michael,
Thanks for getting back.
"empty" is nothing: My library in the left pane and pale blue on the right pane with no text or graphics at all.
My software, FF3.5 on Vista.
chrome://epubreader/content/library.xul (as per you request) produces just pale blue blank screen.
chrome://epubreader/content/catalog.xul is a 2-pane display.
The error console: 3 messages following your instruction (below).
---
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "An invalid or illegal string was specified" code: "12" nsresult: "0x8053000c (NS_ERROR_DOM_SYNTAX_ERR)" location: "chrome://epubreader/content/library.js Line: 18"]

Error: not well-formed
Source File:
Line: 19, Column: 35
Source Code:
<html:td>Christopher Golliday & Melissa Golliday</html:td>

[ a pretty green line pointing up at the 'M' of Melissa] Ah ha!

Error: [Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "onLocationChange"' when calling method: [nsIWebProgressListener::onLocationChange]" nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]
===

mikelv
02-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "An invalid or illegal string was specified" code: "12" nsresult: "0x8053000c (NS_ERROR_DOM_SYNTAX_ERR)" location: "chrome://epubreader/content/library.js Line: 18"]

Error: not well-formed
Source File:
Line: 19, Column: 35
Source Code:
<html:td>Christopher Golliday & Melissa Golliday</html:td>

Thanks for the update!

The problem is caused by the "&" in the author name. I've attached a new version at the first post of this thread. Please install this one and try it again. Please let me know if the problem is fixed.

Rickbk
02-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi Michael,

I've attached a new version at the first post of this thread. Please install this one and try it again. Please let me know if the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the fix - perfect.
This idea and the software is getting better all the time.
Kind regards, Richard.

Kevin2960
02-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Well it won't change my life .... Much .... But this is great! .... Thnx .... Keep up the great work :thanks:

zshep
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
yayyy