Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Aztak EZ Reader advice

Hi all,

I've had my Aztak EZ Reader for a year now and LOVE it with the exception of a few minor, albeit annoying things. Let it be known that I have read more than 50 books through my EZ Reader during this time, so it gets used daily.

The first problem I have is that it will reboot itself randomly when I try to advance the page. I tried changing the firmware when I first bought it, to the Hanlin firmware and it didn't fix anything. After several months, I updated the firmware with the Aztak update. This problem has existed since I purchased the device. I thought at first that it would happen when the battery was starting to get low, but it seems to do it throughout the life of the battery, even when it's fully charged. The device will also occasionally (maybe once every other book) lock up completely to where the reset button on the back must be pushed. If there were something to do to remedy this, I'd be thrilled.

Next problem is that with my excessive use, the corners are starting to crack. I baby this device so how this can be happening is a mystery to me. If my precious EZ Reader continues to wear out, I may be forced to replace it, but considering it took me more than 6 months to decide on this one, finding another will probably be difficult. lol

Lastly is that the page numbers are never accurate. I typically read mobi format in this device. Perhaps I should consider a different format? I use Calibre, so converting to something else is not an issue.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
Hi all,

I've had my Aztak EZ Reader for a year now and LOVE it with the exception of a few minor, albeit annoying things. Let it be known that I have read more than 50 books through my EZ Reader during this time, so it gets used daily.

Lastly is that the page numbers are never accurate. I typically read mobi format in this device. Perhaps I should consider a different format? I use Calibre, so converting to something else is not an issue.

AFAIK

Page numbers (shown) are estimates based upon original size. Re-flow to ft your reader and Font size throw them off even more :/ which is why I would just prefer % of the file to be shown. Even that won't be perfect if there are images...

Try converting to EPUB I have had good luck and no lockups.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'd recommend epub as well - or PDF.
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by erosco View Post
I'd recommend epub as well - or PDF.
PDF sometime has flow issues if you try and use alternate font sizes, which is why I lean toward EPUB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Hi all!
What is the difference between Astak EZ reader 6" and Astak Mentor?
Can you point me to the comparison chart if any?

Thank you ,
Irena
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenas View Post
The EZ Reader is a Hanlin V3 and the Astak Mentor Lite is an updated Netronix EB600 (similar to the Cool-er, but with the Epson display controller and 8 grey scales). See E-book Reader Matrix: 6" Devices. So they have completely different firmware (software), although both include Adobe Digital Editions for DRMed PDF and ePub ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
irenas
Zealot

Thank you wallcraft! Will check out the matrix!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Difference EZ Reader 6 inch and Mentor Lite

Quote:
Hi all!
Can you point me to the comparison chart if any?

Thank you ,
Irena
Dear irenas:

Hello!! Thank you for posting!

Wallcraft is right. The main differences are the Epson Controller for quicker page turns and 8 level grey scale (helps on illustrations). However, there are some other subtle differences.

The Mentor Lite has four one-touch buttons on it that take you immediately to the main menu, horizontal to vertical display, and a game known as Sudoku (plays very, very well and is pretty well full-functioned), and more.

The 6 inch EZ Reader still has a very loyal following. It does everything well and seems to be built incredibly well (lowest rate of returns of any product that FRYs Electronics carries) . The MP3 music has a great equalizer on it. It is a perfectly wonderful basic machine! Do not let the word "basic" fool you. It is a great reading device and plays wonderful music quality while you read. It may not be the latest out... but its reliability and ease of operation are somewhat legendary.

I like them both very much as the Pocket PRO gets all the attention while these two six inch devices do a fabulous job and keep on doing it. Both have user-replaceable rechargeable batteries and SD card slots for easy expansion of memory. These two features and the crisp E-Ink screens make them a perfect choice against most other 6 inch made by much bigger names. The 20 formats does not limit you to what you can buy and where you can buy it. That alone beats (my humble opinion) what the bigger names offer! AND... both have great carrying cases included in the price!

Last edited by Robertb; 01-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
irenas
Zealot

Robert!
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!
But you, guys, confused me even more.
Does Mentor read audio books?
I really wish you had side by side comparison...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More confused

Quote:
Robert!
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!
But you, guys, confused me even more.
Does Mentor read audio books?
I really wish you had side by side comparison...
Dear irenas:

I am sorry if we confused you.

If you will go to my blog (www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com) you will see that I have explained the features of the 6 inch EZ Reader and 6 inch Mentor Lite fairly completely in there.

IF I had to choose between them, I (myself) would pick the Mentor Lite as it is faster and has 8 level grey scale. And, I like the one-touch buttons on the side. I have to love them both... but from what you said I think you would love the Mentor Lite!

The Mentor Lite is available at: www.astak.com

Let me know, please, if this does not help!

Last edited by Robertb; 01-29-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:

I actually have this problem with Epub and so switched to Mobi format and now I don't have the problem. Weird how it's different for each person even though the device is the same.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, epub format on my EZ Reader is really funky, which is why I use mobi. Does anyone know why it will reboot randomly, or lock up completely, requiring full reset?
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Robertb

Call or email support@astak.com

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, epub format on my EZ Reader is really funky, which is why I use mobi. Does anyone know why it will reboot randomly, or lock up completely, requiring full reset?
Dear Kressg:

You can reach Astak support at: support@astak.com

or call tollfree: 1-866-368-8788

Let our tech people provide advice on the reboot randomly issue.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
WEMV
WEMV began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6
I am having the same reboot at a page turn problem. I have been working with Elliott at Astak support for the last week trying to find the problem. I sent him one of my epub files but so far he has be unable to duplicate the problem. As suggested you may want to contact him so that he knows that this is not an isolated event. He has suggest that I try reformatting the device memory and then reinstalling the latest firmware. I will try that this weekend and see if it helps. I will post the result after I test it for a while.

Ed
WEMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Robertb

Sent both posts on random reboot to Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMV View Post
I am having the same reboot at a page turn problem. I have been working with Elliott at Astak support for the last week trying to find the problem. I sent him one of my epub files but so far he has be unable to duplicate the problem. As suggested you may want to contact him so that he knows that this is not an isolated event. He has suggest that I try reformatting the device memory and then reinstalling the latest firmware. I will try that this weekend and see if it helps. I will post the result after I test it for a while.

Ed
Dear Ed:

Try Elliott's suggestion.

In the meantime I have taken both posts on this issue and sent them to him so he knows!