Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
ezjim
ezjim began at the beginning.

Device: astak EZReader PocketPro 5
Battery life vs what document being read

I normally read .mobi formatted ebooks and I am quite used to not turning off but just setting the keyboard lock. I unlock, read a bit and then lock. The PP lasts a long time like this - much longer than a week for sure. Well I had one PDF book, opened it, locked the keyboard, came back two days later to a beep beep beep aka flat battery when I tried to unlock to do some reading.

So the question is. Has anyone noticed that the battery life under keyboard lock changes depending on what format they are reading?

My suspicion is that each ebook format has its own software to decode and just maybe some modules do not really go into an idle state????

ps running the December update.
ezjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezjim View Post
I normally read .mobi formatted ebooks and I am quite used to not turning off but just setting the keyboard lock. I unlock, read a bit and then lock. The PP lasts a long time like this - much longer than a week for sure. Well I had one PDF book, opened it, locked the keyboard, came back two days later to a beep beep beep aka flat battery when I tried to unlock to do some reading.

So the question is. Has anyone noticed that the battery life under keyboard lock changes depending on what format they are reading?

My suspicion is that each ebook format has its own software to decode and just maybe some modules do not really go into an idle state????

ps running the December update.
Hmmm
I read mostly EPUB here, but the few PDF that I read were using the XPDF viewer (Menu option.) So the next question: Which viewer?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Why would the viewer keep consuming battery life once a PDF doc has been decoded? It's all loaded into memory and the device really only consumes power when a screen refresh (page turns, etc) is needed or it needs to read from the SD card.

I haven't tested it with my PDFs yet since I too mainly read ePUBs.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Why would the viewer keep consuming battery life once a PDF doc has been decoded? It's all loaded into memory and the device really only consumes power when a screen refresh (page turns, etc) is needed or it needs to read from the SD card.

I haven't tested it with my PDFs yet since I too mainly read ePUBs.
I agree that it is the way it should work

A Bug:
That keeps the keyboard active and sensitive to pressure on the closed cover?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree that it is the way it should work

A Bug:
That keeps the keyboard active and sensitive to pressure on the closed cover?
That would be a very serious bug. Is he sure he locked the keyboard? Maybe somewhere along the way, the reader bumped an object which then unlocked the keyboard?

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-24-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That would be a very serious bug. Is he sure he locked the keyboard? Maybe somewhere alone the way, the reader bumped an object which then unlocked the keyboard?
There was a bug in the code that locked the keyboard, but did not totally ignore the keypresses, thus waking up only to find it was to ignore because it was locked.
The Lock remained in place.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Quote:
There was a bug in the code that locked the keyboard, but did not totally ignore the keypresses, thus waking up only to find it was to ignore because it was locked.
The Lock remained in place.
Is this corrected in the latest firmware? Or is this still a ongoing bug?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Is this corrected in the latest firmware? Or is this still a ongoing bug?
For most people with the Nov -> firmware, it is no longer the problem.
There may be a bug that is limited to a specific format that got missed or the user is not actually running the firmware they think they are
Lately, my charges have only happened while loading and maintaining the Library on my PEz.
The last real charge was over a month ago, and I read a few hours every day
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Ah, so ezjim is probably not running the latest FW unless Astak really did miss the bug for PDFs.

I think my last charge was Friday bringing my PP from 3/4 charge to full charge. Read about 100 pages since and haven't even gone through 1/4 charge yet. I probably don't have to plug it in until I have another full series to load on it or whenever my battery runs down to 25%.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ah, so ezjim is probably not running the latest FW unless Astak really did miss the bug for PDFs.

I think my last charge was Friday bringing my PP from 3/4 charge to full charge. Read about 100 pages since and haven't even gone through 1/4 charge yet. I probably don't have to plug it in until I have another full series to load on it or whenever my battery runs down to 25%.
I suggest that you charge at or before 50% based upon information read in other threads for longer battery longevity.

Only 100 pages and down 25% Are you using Text to Speech or playing Music?
I read a 1000 pages and don't drop a bar.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Quote:
I suggest that you charge at or before 50% based upon information read in other threads for longer battery longevity.

Only 100 pages and down 25% Are you using Text to Speech or playing Music?
I read a 1000 pages and don't drop a bar.
No no, you misunderstood. My battery meter still reads 100%. And I only had enough time to get through 100 pages this weekend.

You know, I've only tried the music player and it drains my battery quickly. Gonna stick to my S9 if I want to listen to music and read. I have not tried the TTS yet. Read somewhere that it isn't supported on PDFs or EPUBs. As I haven't de-DRM'ed my MOBI files, I don't have any on my PP to test the TTS.

Man, this Astak forum section needs something really exciting (it's kinda boring around here). Like maybe a picture thread of our PEZ and PP setups?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

You know, I've only tried the music player and it drains my battery quickly. Gonna stick to my S9 if I want to listen to music and read. I have not tried the TTS yet. Read somewhere that it isn't supported on PDFs or EPUBs. As I haven't de-DRM'ed my MOBI files, I don't have any on my PP to test the TTS.
Just tested TTS on EPUB. It read the current page, then auto advanced a page and continued reading. Maybe there is a situation where it hangs??? EPUBS can contain more than 1 file chained together.

TTS does not seem to be available on PRC files

What I got with XPDF reader was just weird
Adobe PDF did slightly better then it stopped working.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
ezjim

Quote:
Hmmm
I read mostly EPUB here, but the few PDF that I read were using the XPDF viewer (Menu option.) So the next question: Which viewer?
Standard viewer not XPDF.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
ezjim

Quote:

December update. This update fixed a lot of the lockup problems I was having btw
Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
ezjim

[QUOTE=Acreo Aeneas;755091. . . . . about 100 pages since and haven't even gone through 1/4 charge yet. [/QUOTE]

This sounds about normal when I read .mobi books

Tags
battery, xpdf