View Full Version : iLiad Hack to enable Web browsing on the iRex iLiad

Alexander Turcic
07-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Props to our dear iLiad hackers for totally rescuing a slow news day by dropping this in our laps: ali, arivero, and R2D2 et al. have figured out ways to enable the wired and/or wireless connection of the iLiad, even when you are not using it to connect to the iRex Delivery Server. If you want to browse the Web with your iLiad, jump to this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7063) and follow the details.

Don't forget to stop by our new iLiad hacking section (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106) - I am sure there'll be soon tons of more goodies to satisfy everyone's appetite.

arivero
07-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Good thing that tribble was so an enthusiastic user, risking to do every kind of things in a new machine.

And note that it is a potential risk to enable browsing in a huge LAN because the root password is very easy to guess, and worms will get into it if they wish. No problem afaik if you browse from your NAT address at home. In any case, the risk is low because automated attack systems do not carry ARM binaries nor busybox.

Alexander Turcic
07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the hint, arivero. And our gratitude to tribble for testing.

tribble
07-21-2006, 07:49 AM
I am your humble servant :D
But it would not have been done without the help of many others. I would say nice group effort. Lets hope we will keep working together so successfully.

R2D2
07-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Yes, better replace "R2D2" by "tribble". I am just the one not finding the power switch, asking stupid questions and trying to do even more stupid stuff. ;-)

NatCh
07-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes, better replace "R2D2" by "tribble". I am just the one not finding the power switch, asking stupid questions and trying to do even more stupid stuff. ;-)
Hey, in computers, "stupid" questions just make you think about things from the bottom up. Well, not in tech support, but otherwise.... :happy2:

b_k
07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey, in computers, "stupid" questions just make you think about things from the bottom up. Well, not in tech support, but otherwise.... :happy2:
i can say what stupid questions cause in tech support:
the urge to strangle the user with the phone cord or alternatively wish you had a E.C. button on your phone (aka Electrocute Caller).

:happy2:

NatCh
07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
the urge to strangle the user with the phone cord or alternatively wish you had a E.C. button on your phone (aka Electrocute Caller).

Yeah, they stop letting me answer the user calls, something about suggesting that someone had been smoking crack I think -- I love it when a plan comes together :rolleyes5

Riocaz
07-21-2006, 11:35 AM

Someone's been reading too much BOFH...

NatCh
07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Someone's been reading too much BOFH...
Okay, I give: "BOFH?"

Edit -- oh, wait, nevermind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofh)

Riocaz
07-21-2006, 11:49 AM
If you work or have worked in IT then I recommend you read them...

I know several real-life sysadmins who match this general description, though not quite so ready to take a luser's life via cattleprod.

NatCh
07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
If you work or have worked in IT then I recommend you read them...

I know several real-life sysadmins who match this general description, though not quite so ready to take a luser's life via cattleprod.
I'm reading them now. You'll probably also enjoy www.UserFriendly.org -- I do.

Riocaz
07-21-2006, 12:36 PM
not for a couple of years.

It started getting a bit samey.

Much like Dilbert.

NatCh
07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Much like Dilbert.

Last place I worked, I had to stop reading Dilbert -- it's bad when it get's too similar to what your actual work is like. :rolleyes5