Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Joe Schmoo
Joe Schmoo began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Which format should I convert .lit files to?

I ordered an Astak Pocket Pro a few days ago. Due to arrive tomorrow!
I have several .lit books. I understand that the Astak doesn't do a very good job with this format, but that Calibre can convert these books into many other formats.

Which format would be the best for the Pocket Pro?
Joe Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I do not have an Astak product but I would use Calibre to convert one of your books to all the different formats the Astak supports. Then throw them on your Astak and pick the one you like best.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I do not have an Astak product but I would use Calibre to convert one of your books to all the different formats the Astak supports. Then throw them on your Astak and pick the one you like best.
This is good advice. I don't know if I'd bother with all the formats as it doesn't do some of them all that well. I'd go ePub if it were me, but you could try Mobi as well or maybe FB2 and then see which one you like the best.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmoo View Post
I ordered an Astak Pocket Pro a few days ago. Due to arrive tomorrow!
I have several .lit books. I understand that the Astak doesn't do a very good job with this format, but that Calibre can convert these books into many other formats.

Which format would be the best for the Pocket Pro?
EPUB works for me. Everything I have done the conversion is rather basic, so it might choke on a really complex .LIT.
Try it... Not satisfied, try something else. It takes only a few minutes to run a Calibre convert on a mid range machine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
To my way of thinking, ePub is the obvious choice. It's the default format I use all the time. It's also nice to use an open standard.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This is good advice. I don't know if I'd bother with all the formats as it doesn't do some of them all that well. I'd go ePub if it were me, but you could try Mobi as well or maybe FB2 and then see which one you like the best.
I've been finding with FB2 that the only FB2 files that work are ones converted from plain .txt. .epub is good and solid.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'll third the suggestion for ePub. It seems like the format to go for ebooks nowadays.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another nice thing with ePub is it's easy to edit/fix things if needed, either unzipping and editing the files directly or using Sigil.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I agree that the ePub format works best for me. There's a Wiki for formats here. The latest firmware upgrade provided more font sizes for some of the formats and this is not reflected in the Wiki. IIRC, text was one of them. It should still be helpful for other features, though.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Joe Schmoo

My Pocket Pro arrived today. I had already converted a few books into various formats using Calibre. I loaded them in to compare, and I agree that ePub seems to be the best, or at least tied for best.

Problem solved... and now to read!

Last edited by Joe Schmoo; 01-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
My Pocket Pro arrived today. I had already converted a few books into various formats using Calibre. I loaded them in to compare, and I agree that ePub seems to be the best, or at least tied for best.

Problem solved... and now to read!
Congratulations on receiving your new Pocket Pro.
I rather like Epub, it is my favorite format.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I find I like Mobi slightly more than epub. I like that mobi shows the page number you are on, etc.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Joe Schmoo

Tried both mobi and epub again. I still prefer epub (slightly).

Mobi shows page numbers, but at the expense of screen real estate (minor). You can see what page you're on with epub by hitting the menu key.

Mobi allows easy change between fonts, but only has 3 zoom levels. Epub doesn't change fonts, but has 5 levels of zoom.

Epub allows change from portrait to landscape, mobi doesn't.

Mobi allows internal hyperlinks, epub doesn't.

Can search (awkwardly) with epub, can't search with mobi.

Ultimately, for me, the better zoom levels were the deciding factor.

Epub by a nose.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I find with Mobi I'm happy with the first level of zoom it gives me so I don't mind about that. And I hate landscape mode so no worries there. Didn't even notice there was less room on the screen with mobi.

I do like Epub but my problem is that with the couple of documents I've converted to it when I push the button to see what page I'm on what it tells me is incorrect. For example I was reading a book it told me was 313 pages... I knew the book was at least 3x that. I told it to show me the last page, it still said it was 313 pages. When I got to page 313 suddenly it jumped back to page 100 though it didn't jump back in pages physically, only on the page counter. So yeah, I don't know what that's about but it's what made me decide to go with mobi over epub.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Tried both mobi and epub again. I still prefer epub (slightly).

Mobi shows page numbers, but at the expense of screen real estate (minor). You can see what page you're on with epub by hitting the menu key.

Mobi allows easy change between fonts, but only has 3 zoom levels. Epub doesn't change fonts, but has 5 levels of zoom.

Epub allows change from portrait to landscape, mobi doesn't.

Mobi allows internal hyperlinks, epub doesn't.

Can search (awkwardly) with epub, can't search with mobi.

Ultimately, for me, the better zoom levels were the deciding factor.

Epub by a nose.
Which machine do you have? On the Pocket Pro there are now 9 zoom levels on ePUB. ePUB can also follow internal hyperlinks using the 0 key to highlight the one want and the ok (menu) key to accept the selection.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote