Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: What EZ Reader and PP features we like best.
FORMATS: DRM PDF [with reflow] & EPUB Formats 32 60.38%
FORMATS: 20+ open non-proprietary, non-DRMed formats 39 73.58%
FORMATS: Audio: MP3 8 15.09%
FORMATS: Graphics 8 15.09%
FEATURES: Customizable startup and closedown screens 12 22.64%
FEATURES: Memory: Internal 512MB; External SD 36 67.92%
FEATURES: Multi Level Folder support 40 75.47%
FEATURES: Display: Font Increase 3 to 9 levels depending on format 32 60.38%
FEATURES: Display: Portrait or Landscape 18 33.96%
FEATURES: Display: Grayscale resolutions (4 Basic or 8 PP) 15 28.30%
FEATURES: Display: controls on graphic displays 8 15.09%
FEATURES: Text-to-Speech (TTS) 7 13.21%
FEATURES: Volume control on MP3 files 9 16.98%
FEATURES: Bookmarks 16 30.19%
FEATURES: Hyperlink jumping 13 24.53%
FEATURES: Search capability 13 24.53%
FEATURES: Clock 7 13.21%
FEATURES: Ability to add favorite fonts 19 35.85%
FEATURES: Firmware upgradeable 37 69.81%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: MR members chosen colors 7 13.21%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Rubberized coating 19 35.85%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Battery: Long life 32 60.38%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Battery: User Replaceable 33 62.26%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Size: Think, Lightweight, portable 33 62.26%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: E-paper, reflective anti-glare screen 33 62.26%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Supplied leather cover 28 52.83%
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Standard cables 21 39.62%
SERVICE: Good price 36 67.92%
SERVICE: Worldwide customer support 16 30.19%
SERVICE: Warranty support 13 24.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
PP Poll of Favorite Features

Capabilities we like best on our Astak EZ Reader and Pocket Pro!

I didn't realize how many capabilities and the varied ways to describe them would be needed. So here goes my first poll.

Just finished: WOW.

Ok, select as many features as you like. Please be discriminating and don't just choose all. I'm sure we'd all like to see how the features stack up in everyone's opinions.

Enjoy. (Sorry, didn't have room for the ??purple fish next to the???)

Last edited by AJ Starr; 01-20-2010 at 11:14 AM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
After going through that list several times, I still ended up choosing every one of those options. I really can't just put out a few over the rest as I feel they are all the features I demand in a ebook reader and also in turn justifies the price point and the reason why I'm switching (largely) from print to digital media.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thanks for the work A J

The sample size is still small yet, but the much talked about Clock is not doing well
I only marked those I considered Important enough to affect the purchase or future recommendation.
A few of the items I did not mark were the "tie breaker" decision items.

The one item not on your list, was "DRM type supported is not tied to a single book vendor/store". (not the same as a single type of DRM)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Ooh! I hope I have mine before the poll closes so I can vote! I'm guessing I won't have it by then... but it would be cool if I did!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ooh! I hope I have mine before the poll closes so I can vote! I'm guessing I won't have it by then... but it would be cool if I did!
I choose 30 days for the poll, so hopefully you will have it.

AJ
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Thanks for the work A J

The sample size is still small yet, but the much talked about Clock is not doing well
I only marked those I considered Important enough to affect the purchase or future recommendation.
A few of the items I did not mark were the "tie breaker" decision items.

The one item not on your list, was "DRM type supported is not tied to a single book vendor/store". (not the same as a single type of DRM)
You're right. This didn't even dawn on me, since I won't go to the proprietary stores anyway. I also noted I totally missed putting about the three different methods to change pages. I must have missed several line-items on my draft.

AJ
Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru

For those who were interested, here is my draft document I worked from. I did miss a few items I wished I had included, unfortunately, I used up the maximum item count on the poll.

FORMATS
favorite format
Supports DRM PDF [with reflow] & EPUB Formats
Supports 20+ open non-proprietary, non-DRMed formats
Text:
EPUB
PDF (Portable Document Format)
TXT (Text)
PDB (Palm Database File)
DOC (Microsoft Word)
HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language)
FB2 (FictionBook format)
LIT (Microsoft Reader)
PRC (Palm Resource File aka DRM-free Mobi)
WOL (Proprietary format used by HanLin eBook)
CHM (Compressed HTML)
DJVU (widely used for scientific publications)
Audio: MP3
Graphic:
PPT (Power Point Graphic Presentation)
TIF (Tagged Image File Format)
PNG (Portable Network Graphics)
GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)
JPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
BMP (BitMaP image file)
Compression:
RAR
ZIP

FEATURES
Customizable startup and closedown screens
Memory:
>>>Internal flash memory 512MB
>>>SD card slot for external memory
Multi Level Folder support
Display
>>>in Portrait or Landscape
>>>Grayscale resolution 4 LEVELS 8 LEVELS
>>>Font increase 3 to 9 levels depending on format
>>>Graphics with display control
TTS Text-to-speech
Mp3 files with volume control
Fast page turns
Bookmarks
Hyperlinks
Search capability
Add fonts
Firmware upgrades
Clock
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES
Several, MR chosen, colors
Battery
>>>long charge life
>>>User-replaceable
Compact size
>>>Thin, lightweight, portable
Several options for page turn
Standard cables/charger.
Rubberized coating
>>>easy to hold
>>>doesn't show fingerprints
>>>and doesn't reflect light
E-Ink, anti-glare screen

SERVICE [UPDATES]
Good price
Worldwide sales/service customer support
Warranty support
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Great job on poll!!

Dear AJ:

Great job on the poll and I thank you. I took a copy of it and am sending it out to prospective retailers. It also helps me fine tune what I should dwell upon when I chat up the Pocket PRO to retailers.

Yes, I have always liked the three page turn options on the Pocket PRO. Many people do not notice them. We just finished getting a review in Women of Las Vegas Magazine! This is a magazine purely for women and women issues. THEY idolize the Metallic Purple. Anyway... they reviewed the Pocket PRO and said the three page turn otions were perfect for a woman's somewhat smaller hand and they strongly praised that!! The love for the Scroll Wheel is growing and they loved that entire concept.

Anyway... your poll is fantastic and I thank you!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I find thus far the results to be rather interesting. Seems people are really happy with the features of the device that just work, but are not too concerned overall (sure not many votes yet but an indicator) about modifications (such as fonts and clock). Interesting to see if the pattern changes the more people vote.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Good to see others think the same about most of the features.

I wasn't surprised to see the mp3 playing capabilities scoring low. It's just something I don't need. I turn on the stereo, and listen to that while reading, and I don't have to have those stupid buds stuck in my ear (or wear headphones)
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Out of the 30 attributes, I voted for 11 of the ones that are most important to me. Of the 21 voters so far, the highest polling features of 20+ formats, internal/external memory, multi-level folders and e-paper screen have 16 votes. This is quite interesting as it indicates the strongest features recorded so far are not seen as such by all voters. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on how results look after a wider spectrum of members choose their top features.

Thanks for posting a wonderful poll AJ! It is rather comprehensive given that there is a limit of thirty selections to polls. It is also appreciated that you gave fellow forum members a chance to contribute to your creation, in regards to the positive items to be placed on it. Well done!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
At this writing most of the 12 things making Pocket Pro owners the happiest are not available on any other 5-inch reader. In fact, the Sony PRS300 shares only 4 of our 12 favorites: secure ePub support, upgradable firmware, battery life and the eInk screen. I think it's odd that reviewers in the national press seem to always pass over those other 8. Some of them are important.

Too bad there wasn't enough space for more issues. The convenience of the 5-inch reader--its form factor--is a strong point for any reader being used to read literature and questions combining form factor with content and intended purpose might be worth asking: convenience, portability, readability, type of reading you want a reader for, that sort of thing.

This survey was a good idea AJ. Very interesting.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru

I'm happy it came out well. I was hoping for more participants. Maybe before the poll closes we'lll get the numbers up. I chose a month for it to be open.

I was also thinking that the suggested changes in the sticky thread might make a good poll. See which features people want before we inundate RobertB with the requests.

Any ideas on this, anyone?

AJ
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Passed over by reviewers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
At this writing most of the 12 things making Pocket Pro owners the happiest are not available on any other 5-inch reader. In fact, the Sony PRS300 shares only 4 of our 12 favorites: secure ePub support, upgradable firmware, battery life and the eInk screen. I think it's odd that reviewers in the national press seem to always pass over those other 8. Some of them are important.

Too bad there wasn't enough space for more issues. The convenience of the 5-inch reader--its form factor--is a strong point for any reader being used to read literature and questions combining form factor with content and intended purpose might be worth asking: convenience, portability, readability, type of reading you want a reader for, that sort of thing.

This survey was a good idea AJ. Very interesting.
Dear 6charlong:

Exactly!! Well said. I beat on my reviewers now to remind them over and over not to bypass the form factor. They always talk up the speed and that it is not wireless! I TELL THEM: not being wireless is NOT a defect!! Talk about how light it is and how good it feels in your hand and how it has a user-replaceable battery and it has 20 formats and you can expand the memory to hold 8,000 eBooks. Reviewers are sometimes very odd as they get ingrained on a few things and do NOT want to write about form factors.

I tell them we have a new clear-as-crystal Touchscreen coming. They say Sony tried Touchscreen and it was not very successful. I remind them: "CLEAR"! They yawn. I tell them: "old Touchscreen cut the brightness by about 35%". I tell them: "this one does not". But, I mention Wi-Fi and they sit up and start taking notes.

By the way, many of you know I have been after Rob Pegoraro of the Washington Post for 14 months. Yesterday I get a nice note from him wanting to email. All things must pass!! Maybe we will see a review yet from Rob!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
AJ Starr
Guru

With 31 votes, a little over two weeks to go

Sorry, moderators, this will be the only time I bump this to the top.

I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to vote before it closes.

AJ