Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Astak Bookstore compatability questions

Ok, I'm just about to pull out the wallet and buy a Pocket Pro but I have one remaining question. All the various e book stores and their various formats have me a bit confused. So, I have a gift card from Barnes & Noble that I'd like to take advantage of, can I use books from there? How about Sony & Fictionwise? If I can't use those stores yet, is there any time-line that I can look forward to?
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman View Post
Ok, I'm just about to pull out the wallet and buy a Pocket Pro but I have one remaining question. All the various e book stores and their various formats have me a bit confused. So, I have a gift card from Barnes & Noble that I'd like to take advantage of, can I use books from there? How about Sony & Fictionwise? If I can't use those stores yet, is there any time-line that I can look forward to?
Yes, you can use those stores and hundreds of others. You just need to be careful that you pick a format that the Pocket Pro can read (which is most of those you are likely to encounter). If in doubt try a free book in the format you are interested in before laying out cash. Check the wiki for stores and info on formats.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman View Post

No, not Barnes and Nobel Epub, Fictionwise, yes if you purchase the DRM-Free or AdobeDE-EPUB or other compatible format.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
With the exception of Barnes & Noble, any Adobe Digital Editions book (ePub or PDF) will work on the PEZ. To use the Sony bookstore, you have to install their reader software for the downloads.

Be aware that while the PEZ will work with lots of unencrypted formats, the only two encrypted formats it can open are ePub and PDF. Fortunately, these are becoming universal formats, so they are widely available.

Barnes & Noble decided to go with a different encryption system for their ePubs. Adobe claims that a new version of ADE will be released to the ebook manufacturers this spring so that new firmware can be developed. It's possible that everything will work out perfectly and B&N books will work on other devices besides the nook. It's also possible that I'll win the lottery and world peace will break out. I wouldn't hold my breath for any of those.

There are a couple of websites that make it easy for you to search for books and compare prices.

http://www.inkmesh.com/

http://ebooks.addall.com/
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New eBookstore coming

Dear All:

If you can wait only a few more days you will find that Astak will have a solution for you.

This is hush-hush stuff... but the big surprise is only days away now.

With the Pocket PRO you have 20 formats you can buy eBooks in. BUT... EPUB and PDF are becoming SO popular now and you can use the Text-To-Speech (that comes standard with the Pocket PRO) on these two formats.

Last edited by Robertb; 01-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Really looking forward to the news!!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

If you can wait only a few more days you will find that Astak will have a solution for you.

With the Pocket PRO you have 20 formats you can buy eBooks in. BUT... EPUB and PDF are becoming SO popular now and you can use the Text-To-Speech (that comes standard with the Pocket PRO) on these two formats.
Now I'm even more anxious in addition to waiting for my PP to arrive. I can't wait to hear what the "solution" is.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Looking forward to see what the "news" is!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
this is exciting! is it a few days yet?

Quote:
Dear All:

basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, not Barnes and Nobel Epub, Fictionwise, yes if you purchase the DRM-Free or AdobeDE-EPUB or other compatible format.
In addition to Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard, I have also been able to download ePubs from Sony's bookstore for use on my PocketPro.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear All:

Maybe the long-awaited eReader DRM compatibility?????
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not yet ereader DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Maybe the long-awaited eReader DRM compatibility?????
Dear 93terp:

Not yet. Barnes & Noble still rough. Cannot get SDK yet and talk or exclusivity in contract. It is not as easy as "pay money, get ereader". Still trying!

Nope, the news is about a certain place you can buy eBooks and that is about all I can say. A part of this certain place will have Google 1.5 Million free eBooks. Google needs to approve the website. That is the ONLY delay! This certain place will have much more than free eBooks. It will have latest content in EPUB for Adobe Digital Editions DRM!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Oooh... I can hardly wait! I've got some books in my wishlist on an ebook store, just waiting until I get my Pocket Pro... but if Astak has a specific store (especially if the prices are better!) then I can hardly wait to go there!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Dear 93terp:

Not yet. Barnes & Noble still rough. Cannot get SDK yet and talk or exclusivity in contract. It is not as easy as "pay money, get ereader". Still trying!

Nope, the news is about a certain place you can buy eBooks and that is about all I can say. A part of this certain place will have Google 1.5 Million free eBooks. Google needs to approve the website. That is the ONLY delay! This certain place will have much more than free eBooks. It will have latest content in EPUB for Adobe Digital Editions DRM!
Sounds better than eReader DRM!!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Oh, boy...will there also be an announcement about new hardware?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote