View Full Version : Entourage Edge DOA?

paulckennedy
01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultimate-guide-to-ebook-readers-we-care-about

In the attached link, Gizmodo gave the Entourage Edge a 0% chance of survival and essentially deemed it dead on arrival. What are they thinking about?

I know that it is heavy but when I look at it, I see something with twice the usability of the Que which is definately years beyond the Kindle.

Am I missing something here? I am on the pre-order list for the Edge so I really want to know what everyone else thinks about this review.

Nate the great
01-15-2010, 05:20 PM

In the attached link, Gizmodo gave the Entourage Edge a 0% chance of survival and essentially deemed it dead on arrival. What are they thinking about?

I know that it is heavy but when I look at it, I see something with twice the usability of the Que which is definately years beyond the Kindle.

Am I missing something here? I am on the pre-order list for the Edge so I really want to know what everyone else thinks about this review.

The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover. It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design.

Are you in the February or March shipments? If you don't want it I'll buy it off you.

paulckennedy
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I am in the February shipments. I sold my Kindle 2 and Kindle DX to get the money for it. So, I am kind of jonesing for my pdf fix right now.

I didn't really know how dependent I had become on my DX until I sold it.

JSWolf
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Overall pretty bland reviews.

zetareticuli
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover.

Agreed 100%. Provided the device has no hardware issues (and it shouldn't have) it is a great device and "infinitely" more powerful than any other ebook reader currently available. Other vendors will follow down this same path probably making devices that are lighter and easier to carry.

I should be on the Feb shipment list. If the eDGe is as great as I think it will be, I will be purchasing one for the wife.

pilotbob
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't know but this device is on the top of my list above the Que, Kindle DX and iRex for a tech book / PDF reader and business meeting device.

Hey, if you want to just sit and read fiction all day then Kindle, Sony, CyBook devices are all you need.

But, that's not the market for this device, clearly.

BOb

zetareticuli
01-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Exactly! I see it the same way you do. Those readers you mentioned are strictly for reading fiction and/or books that have been formatted for their specific formats and display options.

DaleDe
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
The bloggers over at Gizmodo share a weakness with journalists; they don't know much about anything they cover. It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design.

Are you in the February or March shipments? If you don't want it I'll buy it off you.

Actually, when I talked to them at CES they intend to be a first class eBook Reader. It is their prime goal. They just define features a little bit different. They are able to be able to link the two screens together. You can for example click an object in a book and bring up and image or even a movie over on the other screen. The TOC on the LCD screen links directly to the eBook content.

Dale

Nate the great
01-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Actually, when I talked to them at CES they intend to be a first class eBook Reader. It is their prime goal. They just define features a little bit different. They are able to be able to link the two screens together. You can for example click an object in a book and bring up and image or even a movie over on the other screen. The TOC on the LCD screen links directly to the eBook content.

Dale

It's the reader part that I disagree with. It does so much more than simply read.

Madam Broshkina
01-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Dale
Do you think this is the reason that some of the edge books are so expensive? Are we getting some enhanced content? I could see paying $19.95 for the Lost Symbol if one screen you had the text and on another screen perhaps videos or pictures of the locations in the book.

Dulin's Books
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
No its merely that Entourage cannot subsidize the ebook purchases like Amazon can. Amazon can sell the books for close to cost or even at a loss and still profit. Smaller newer Book sellers cannot.

Look at the prices at Powell's for instance http://www.powells.com/ebookstore/ebooks.html?margin=eBooks Powell's is legendary in this part of the world for good prices on new and used paper books. But their ebook prices are more like you would find at sellers other than the Amazon's and B&Ns of the world.

The lost Symbol is currently $15.75 at Powell's

Selcien
01-16-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't get it. In their guide they have the price as a negative, yet in their hands on they call the price "incredible". They also sound quite pleased with the device in their hands on and yet finish by saying that they "can't really hold it up in one hand"? I've had a Kindle DX and while it could be used one handed two hands were better, and propping it up/resting it on something was even better yet. So who on earth would expect to be able to hold this monstrosity in one hand when it's clearly meant to be laid down on something?

I'm very interested in this device but it just sounds too good to be true, I mean, it's only $10 more than I had paid for the DX, so what's the catch?

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Companies are always trying to make better devices and sell them cheaper and cheaper to remain competitive. Supposedly, there is no catch. That remains to be seen, however. I plan to write a review of mine after I get it.

paulckennedy
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I plan on writing up a review too. I propose that all of us who get on, work on making demonstration materials for new owners on how to get the most from their device.

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes. That's a good idea. I will even take pictures of how PDFs and other supported formats work. My main interest in the eDGe is the combination of both a netbook and e-reader features, especially for the price. The price of large screen readers such as the Kindle DX and iRex products has always been questionable in my opinion, considering that they are only dedicated devices. For under $500, often for under $350 you can get an 10.2" or 11.6" netbook, which is a much more powerful device. Don' get me wrong, I know an e-reader is an e-reader and cannot be expected to perform as a netbook but the price is unjustifiable in my opinion. In my opinion, $250 - $300 would a reasonable price for a dedicated large screen reader device such as the Kindle DX and $150 to $175 would be a reasonable price for a smaller 6" dedicated reader.

paulckennedy
01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I believe that the prices of e-readers is like the price of gas. The manufacturers will set the prices to what they can get. I hardly believe that the existing prices truly reflect the cost of the device and a reasonable profit for the maker. The Edge is a good example when you compare its release price to the existing price of the Kindle DX. The Edge LITERALLY has TWICE the hardware of the DX and easily tons more features but when you compare the prices, they only differ by 10 dollars. Amazon is making a killing on the DX. That is just plain obvious.

For its functionality from what I have gleened, the Edge is reasonably priced for its features. I agree with your price range for the 10 inch readers. I think we will see 5 and 6 inch dedicated readers in the $75 to $125 range .

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Paul, yes, I agree with your assessment as well.

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Paul, by the way, have you seen this cheapo netbook? (http://www.bigboxstore.com/ebook-ly-eb01-cheapest-netbook-mini-laptop.html?___store=default)

While not of the same quality as an Asus or Acer, it is an impressive machine for the price. Two of my friends have it and it is very good. This, again, reinforces the fact that dedicated e-reader hardware are overpriced.

HansTWN
01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I believe that the prices of e-readers is like the price of gas. The manufacturers will set the prices to what they can get. I hardly believe that the existing prices truly reflect the cost of the device and a reasonable profit for the maker. The Edge is a good example when you compare its release price to the existing price of the Kindle DX. The Edge LITERALLY has TWICE the hardware of the DX and easily tons more features but when you compare the prices, they only differ by 10 dollars. Amazon is making a killing on the DX. That is just plain obvious.

For its functionality from what I have gleened, the Edge is reasonably priced for its features. I agree with your price range for the 10 inch readers. I think we will see 5 and 6 inch dedicated readers in the $75 to $125 range .

It is easy to talk about "reasonable" prices. But if nobody considers the profits reasonable enough to sell at the prices you envision, what does it matter? Of course Amazon is making great money on the DX now. They have to make money somewhere, since they lose a lot on the bestsellers. But the LCD screen for the Edge costs just a fraction of what the e-ink screen goes for, even more so given the current shortage of e-ink screens. So the Edge is not "twice the hardware". Amazon will drop the price of the DX in a few months when the other 9.7" readers start to come out, I am sure. The Edge is so different in shape, the target market is very different. Besides, don't forget that Amazon probably made very little on the DX last year, when they introduced it the screen certainly was way more expensive. They also took a big risk when they put it on the market, Sony still doesn't believe in big screen readers. So now Amazon are recouping that initial investment.

I am sure the $50 and $75 black and white readers (5" or 6") will start to appear once color screens are good enough for reading. But instead of 6 million units a year they will need 100 million or more to reach that price point.

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
In spite of its price tag, I applaud Amazon for having introduced the Kindle DX. No matter how good the software of a 6" reader is, it will always be a 6" reader. The larger screens are a requirement for any serious use by academia. What is killing the Kindle DX especially from the results of university trials is the poor software that runs on it. If Amazon were to take the time to improve the software and enhance PDF support, the Kindle DX would be a more than capable device. The hardware support and physical dimensions are there. Hopefully, Amazon has acknowledged this and software updates coming soon will resolve most of these issues.

HansTWN
01-16-2010, 08:58 PM
In spite of its price tag, I applaud Amazon for having introduced the Kindle DX. No matter how good the software of a 6" reader is, it will always be a 6" reader. The larger screens are a requirement for any serious use by academia. What is killing the Kindle DX especially from the results of university trials is the poor software that runs on it. If Amazon were to take the time to improve the software and enhance PDF support, the Kindle DX would be a more than capable device. The hardware support and physical dimensions are there. Hopefully, Amazon has acknowledged this and software updates coming soon will resolve most of these issues.

If they do so, I might still buy it. Because even so the Que looks real good, it is much safer to buy from a company like Amazon, not a startup. Perhaps Amazon even has a new large screen this year?

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
If they do so, I might still buy it. Because even so the Que looks real good, it is much safer to buy from a company like Amazon, not a startup. Perhaps Amazon even has a new large screen this year?

Same here. I think there is a 70% chance that Amazon releases a new e-reader this year. Or at least software updates that will dramatically enhance the experience of reading on the Kindle devices.

paulckennedy
01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I have owned ALL 3 of the Kindles. I recently sold my Kindle 2 and DX to get the Edge next month. I am still a fan of Amazon and the Kindle store. I will continue to shop the Kindle store once they come out with a Kindle for Android app.

"Twice the hardware" refers not just to the LCD but also to the wacom and touch features offered by the Edge. When you also add back in the SD, USB slots and BlueTooth support, the Edge definately sports "twice" the hardware of the DX.

I hope that Amazon looks at the features that Entourage has enabled and then updates the Kindle line. One feature of the Edge that Amazon should try to steal is the Tag Library organizational scheme.

Amazon blazed a trail with the Kindle. Now they need to innovate or simply get out of the way.

HansTWN
01-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I have owned ALL 3 of the Kindles. I recently sold my Kindle 2 and DX to get the Edge next month. I am still a fan of Amazon and the Kindle store. I will continue to shop the Kindle store once they come out with a Kindle for Android app.

"Twice the hardware" refers not just to the LCD but also to the wacom and touch features offered by the Edge. When you also add back in the SD, USB slots and BlueTooth support, the Edge definately sports "twice" the hardware of the DX.

I hope that Amazon looks at the features that Entourage has enabled and then updates the Kindle line. One feature of the Edge that Amazon should try to steal is the Tag Library organizational scheme.

Amazon blazed a trail with the Kindle. Now they need to innovate or simply get out of the way.

You can bet that they already have new devices in the pipeline. But now is not the time to announce them. The Sony's 7.1 screen is no challenge, Irex selfdestructed again with the 800, and the other 9.7" screens are coming in September or so only. And as far as the Que is concerned they will just sit and wait for the response. So for the moment it makes sense to just have the money coming in and spring the announcement just before a serious challenger actually brings their devices to market.

Amazon is not doing that "9 month early announcement" nonsense. When they announce a new device it is all set for delivery within a month or so. Announcing something too early just means they would have to drop prices for their old models.

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
What's unbelievable is that most of the neat things we want from an ebook reader such as the Kindle DX can be improved with software and Amazon has done nothing about that. As far as the hardware items such as SD card support, Bluetooth, and USB, there is nothing for the current Kindles there. However, I think Amazon is likely to introduce at least some of these in the next line. Even without a next generation of Kindles coming out any time soon, a software updates that adds killer PDF support, folder/file management, custom zooming options, simple apps, games, etc, would make the existing Kindle a great device to own.

paulckennedy
01-16-2010, 09:41 PM
A software update that adds support for epub, a real folder system and better pdf support would be great. If Amazon was smart, they would jump on Android.

zetareticuli
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
A software update that adds support for epub, a real folder system and better pdf support would be great. If Amazon was smart, they would jump on Android.

Yep. If predictions are accurate there should be thousands of applications by the end of the year. A few companies that specialize in the software market have mentioned figures like "30,000 apps for Android by the end of 2010". I don't think you can easily explain the "30,000 apps" in such as short time period. In my view, 5,000 - 10,000 is very reasonable.

Sweetpea
01-17-2010, 06:14 AM

I'd take that DoA of theirs with a lot of salt.

Take the Nook:

According to them a survivability of 80%.

4 + points, one of which is "Lending and in-store Barnes & Noble action will be huge" and we still have to find out how that will work and the other "Native ePub support"

3 +/- points

2 - points.

Then the Entourage Edge, survivability of 0%.

3 + points

4 +/- points

2 - points, including price, but as it can do more, you'd expect a higher price tag, right?

No mention of epub reading. If that's a point in favour of the Nook, shouldn't it also be a point in favour of the Edge?

So, one +/- point less and a drop of 80%??

Right...

I still like the Edge, haven't seen anything in that "review" that would make me like it less. I'm just not crazy about Android...

HansTWN
01-17-2010, 08:25 AM
I still like the Edge, haven't seen anything in that "review" that would make me like it less. I'm just not crazy about Android...

Yup, just like Apple, Google are the masters at hyping good, but not outstanding products to make people think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Android is not bad, but has some serious flaws, too. Memory handling is one of them. For example you can run just 6 programs at the same time. Android is still a work in progress. And you almost forced to use all Google services, gmail, search, etc. If you don't, then Android is not convenient to use at all. Though I must say, that Google standing up to Chinese web censors has definitely helped improve the very low opinion I had of them (which is mainly due to the fact that they have very little respect for people's privacy).

andrys
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
...It might be a failure as an ebook reader but that's okay because it's not an ebook reader. It's a netbook. Their lack of knowledge blinds them to the possibilities inherent in the design. ...

It's a netbook, then, without a hard disk or a physical keyboard. That's sure attractive.

My Samsung netbook is smaller than the Entourage Edge and allows me to do my work easily with it.

I also carry a DX. It's light and flat and is a hell of an e-reader. Wikipedia is not that slow in its mobile version but I can read my DX anyway WHILE having the Netbook open to the Net for more info as long as I have WiFi. The advantage of the DX is Wikipedia is there on top of my book and accessible through slow Kindle-G3 access.

What I couldn't abide with the Edge is that I can't detach the ereader portion. (I think the Asus dualbook will allow detachment but it's not even near ready and won't do what the Edge does.)

You're right - it's dead as an E-reader. I think they'd sell well if they DID make a separate e-reader because its background looks lighter and they have the e-reader study tools all ready to go.

No, if I bought one of these, I'd also have to carry my netbook to be working as quickly as I can w/o worrying about space or using SD cards to save things to and take things from. I'd have all the apps I like always there and ready to go. I'd have a bulky bag then.

It's nifty being able to move a graph over and see it in color. But a DX stand-alone reader can be used along with a smaller netbook to see PDFs or books from Amazon and B&N on the netbook in color with no need to move the graph over.

I don't see how it can have a life, with an Apple iSlate-type thing coming out. But it IS only $390 or so? And that's where they have a chance. And the Apple will have only an LCD screen in this incarnation from all I read.

But who's the audience for the Edge? Right now the features sound more fun-like than actually useful in a real work environment.

It can use a USB keyboard from what I remember - but that's extra bulk and I guess it could use an external hard drive too. More of the same.

I don't think Gizmodo is far wrong here, though I find the device attractive to look at and probably fun to use if not on a deadline.

I truly do not get the advantage of the Edge, except that it'd be fun to scribble on one side to go along with a file, but then the scribbles can't be read by any handwriting recognition program. I'd have to type up what I had hand-written when ready to do other work instead of just importing the text of what I'd typed.

IF it were lighter, that would be a killer. Right now I just don't see it.

pilotbob
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't see how it can have a life, with an Apple iSlate-type thing coming out. But it IS only $390 or so? And that's where they have a chance. And the Apple will have only an LCD screen in this incarnation from all I read.

$490...

IF Apple does release a Tablet next Tuesday then I can pretty much guess that...

1. It won't be under $1,000.

2. It will have an OLED or LCD screen so the battery life will be (in real world use) about 4-5 hours... even if they say 8 in their presentation.

If you want a device to play movies on, play games on, surf the web on, a tablet MID is more your style.

If you want a device to read large format PDF ebooks and work type documents and also be able to do some productivity stuff on the side... I think the Edge is a contender... over and above just a Netbook.

BOb

andrys
01-21-2010, 09:02 AM
$490...

IF Apple does release a Tablet next Tuesday then I can pretty much guess that...

1. It won't be under $1,000.

Estimates are between $750 to $1000 and the unknown quantity is the data plan, which can add another $30/month or more. But they could drop it to $600 with a 2 yr plan, so the stories go. If it's $750 + a data plan, I don't see the 10 million units they're estimating this year.

I wouldn't be a candidate for one though and I like gadgets and on-the-go net access (though I am very patient with slow access if it's free).

2. It will have an OLED or LCD screen so the battery life will be (in real world use) about 4-5 hours... even if they say 8 in their presentation.

I read one "insider-relayed" bit that said Apple plans on two models, the OLED one to come later in the year -- and because the OLED display alone at that size costs $1,000 today, it'd be a $2,000 device.

I can't imagine that working out very well. But the current one coming is said to be LCD. Just a few more days and we'll finally know. WSJ had a detailed article on it yesterday.

If you want a device to play movies on, play games on, surf the web on, a tablet MID is more your style.

Many of us just want light e-readers, with good editing capabilities for PDFs. Those who want tablet web devices and will pay the data charges for them when not using WiFi at home would be the (much) more affluent and mainly gadget-oriented types.

Book readers (people) might be attracted to the idea, but the lack of a reflective screen and print-on-paper look, which definitely is easier on the eyes for long-session sequential reading, would make it unworkable (most gadgeteers don't understand this)

If you want a device to read large format PDF ebooks and work type documents and also be able to do some productivity stuff on the side... I think the Edge is a contender... over and above just a Netbook.

For business reading of documents, I'd lean more to the Que and use my netbook as I am now, for anything it can't do.

Honestly, it's the lack of a hard disk! in something so large as the eDGe that is a stopper for me, when I think of someone who would invest in the company on the belief this will sell in large quantities.

But I'm probably missing something here.

Does the lack of a hard disk and a physical keyboard (for meetings) and the reliance on 4 gigs of internal storage + an SD slot not concern others? In something that's almost three pounds?

It's beautiful, but is it practical?

andrys
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
What's unbelievable is that most of the neat things we want from an ebook reader such as the Kindle DX can be improved with software and Amazon has done nothing about that. As far as the hardware items such as SD card support, Bluetooth, and USB, there is nothing for the current Kindles there. However, I think Amazon is likely to introduce at least some of these in the next line. Even without a next generation of Kindles coming out any time soon, a software updates that adds killer PDF support, folder/file management, custom zooming options, simple apps, games, etc, would make the existing Kindle a great device to own.

The folder/tags support is said by Customer Service notices on Facebook and the Amazon forum to be coming before summer. They've been working on the organization problems of the Kindle.

Coincidentally, last night Amazon announced it's opening up the Kindle for developers to add apps and make some $$.

I'm afraid the PDF support we want for editing depends on Amazon paying Adobe for the Digital Edition full license and they're competitors at that level.

I wish they would just at least get ePub non-DRM support going, especially since they own Lexcycle.

But this new Kindle apps-thing starting a limited beta in a month with late 2010 as a goal is more than interesting. This really changes the entire picture. Revenue to the developer will be about 70% minus cost of delivery of the product.

Since Amazon customers don't pay for wireless access (except for personal document delivery to the Kindle), apps would need to include ongoing charges for wireless access -- unless they're tiny apps (less than 1M) with less than 100KB/user/month use of wireless data (which is nothing) and these would qualify for the free-apps category.

If not a free app but the app is larger than 1MB and the wireless data used is still less than 100KB per user/month, there'd be a one-time charge for purchasing the app.

And anything beyond that would involve monthly charges to cover wireless costs.

I copied most of the salient facts from their pages minus the usual PR to my blog entry at
http://bit.ly/kwamznkdk

What's your take on this? Very different from apps for a smartphone where data plans are already being paid for by the customer.

- Andrys

zetareticuli
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
If the SDK for Kindle comes out and all functions can be easily implemented and not crippled in any way, an alternate PDF reader could theoretically be written that offers at least zooming capabilities.

pilotbob
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Does the lack of a hard disk and a physical keyboard (for meetings) and the reliance on 4 gigs of internal storage + an SD slot not concern others? In something that's almost three pounds?

Well, with the prevalence of "cloud" apps like Google Mail, Google Apps, Evernote, Basecamp etc. you really don't need alot of local storage. Have you looked at the JooJoo? It has 0 storage and relies 100% on an internet connection. At least you can do stuff on the Edge without a WiFi connection.

Yes, I think it is practical.

BOb

andrys
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
If the SDK for Kindle comes out and all functions can be easily implemented and not crippled in any way, an alternate PDF reader could theoretically be written that offers at least zooming capabilities.

That would be good.

andrys
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, with the prevalence of "cloud" apps like Google Mail, Google Apps, Evernote, Basecamp etc. you really don't need alot of local storage. Have you looked at the JooJoo? It has 0 storage and relies 100% on an internet connection. At least you can do stuff on the Edge without a WiFi connection.

Yes, I think it is practical.

BOb

Saving to a cloud and retrieving from them takes more time by far than I like.

Especially when depending on one instead of using that as backup.

The JooJoo is a really sad story.

zetareticuli
01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Saving to a cloud and retrieving from them takes more time by far than I like.

Agreed. I also prefer to have my local storage via built-in storage or SD cards. 128 GB - 256 GB SD cards will be released in 2011 by Sandisk, Kingston and others.

pilotbob
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Agreed. I also prefer to have my local storage via built-in storage or SD cards. 128 GB - 256 GB SD cards will be released in 2011 by Sandisk, Kingston and others.

The Edge does have an SD slot BTW.

I just think with 16GB SD card it will have all the room I need. It doesn't need to contain every document I need... I assume you can side load it with WiFi... so I can leverage the storage on my real PC.

BOb

zetareticuli
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I just think with 16GB SD card it will have all the room I need. It doesn't need to contain every document I need... I assume you can side load it with WiFi... so I can leverage the storage on my real PC.

BOb

I agree. I think that for the time being 16 GB is more than enough for me to store ebooks. My entire collection of ebooks and technical manuals (mostly PDFs) is ~ 12 GB out of which I only use about 4 GB at any given time.

By the way, are you on the Feb or March shipment for the Edge? Does anyone know when in Feb it will ship?

paulckennedy
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
For me, I think of an Edge as a supped up DX.

I like the concept of an interactive reading experience where I can more easily annotate what I read. I like the idea of being able to link various pieces of information in those annotations to whats in my library and to whats on the internet. It is always amazing how I am always losing access to that found information simply because of the amount of research that I do.

The ability to work on Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files on it only increases its usefulness.

I do not want to replace my computer. When I want to do programming, database work, or other processor intensive duties, I plan on using my computer.

I don't need more than 32 Gigs of storage at a time. If I need more, I can probably just put in another 32 Gig SD card. I will only really use up that kind of space when storing movies and music. I definately will not use that kind of space up with reading.

zetareticuli
01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Neither will I. A 32 GB card should be more than enough for most people. Also, I don't expect the Edge to replace my PC wither. I plan to use each for the task that it's designed to perform.

mgm1979
01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Also, I don't expect the Edge to replace my PC wither. I plan to use each for the task that it's designed to perform.

exactly - the same way a NETbook doesn't replace a regular laptop/desktop machine...so many critics are trying to make this thing out to be a subpar laptop, when that's not its intended use at all...its a suped up eReader, that's it.

Sure, the MSI (Win7) device debuted at CES looks like it'll have some promise, but lets see what kind of price tag it comes with, and whether or not its a netbook or eReader first...

DaleDe
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
And besides as I recall it has 2 SD slots.

Dale

paulckennedy
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Sorry. One SD Slot. Two USB Ports.

SensualPoet
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM

Agreed that Amazon must not sit on its laurels and stop all development of the Kindle. But then, there's no evidence they have, right? Since the summer they have: brought out the Kindle DX; brought out the Kindle 2 Global Edition; added pdf support for the Kindle 2; brought out the Kindle DX Global Edition; added support for other languages; created a new royalty model for authors. And delivered flawlessly over the critical Xmas season when its prime competitors floundered.

If Amazon was smart, they would be VERY cautious about "jumping" on Android. Amazon Kindle is a gateway into selling, seamlessly and easily, as much content as possible. The Android OS is about surfing the net and becoming a netbook or a gussied up smartphone. Amazon should focus on making the best dedicated reading device and focus enhancements on readers within niche markets -- like text-books, annotation, note-taking sharing, etc. It does not have to figure out a good way to add video pop-ups to Sherlock Holmes.

Amazon has the ability to drive the vision here and, so far, they are doing a pretty good job. There's no sign they are asleep or on vacation. But as tempting as slipping into glitz like adding a "touch screen strip" so they can say the device "has a colour screen", they need to make sure their device really delivers the best content and the best reading experience.

I admire Sony as a CE player but they really need to be taken to task for their silly claim of "1 million Google books". These are delivered as the OCR'd versions of Google scans -- which means they are virtually unreadable due to so many errors. It's shocking, actually.

It's far too early, in short, to "demand" Amazon "get out of the way" when it is Amazon that is actively seeking better ways to access for more content, for more people in more countries. Amazon's agreement with AT&T to deliver seamless wireless 3G in 100 countries, free, is pretty astonishing.

zetareticuli
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree that Amazon is definitely not asleep. For sure they are delivering. The thing is that we would like to see support for other formats as well as better support for PDFs. I am pretty confident that they will at least deliver on the better PDF support including zooming by the end of winter.

DaleDe
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry. One SD Slot. Two USB Ports.

Oops, you are right. Well one of the USB Ports could hold a memory hub if more memory is needed. They can be faster than SD cards anyway.

paulckennedy
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Agreed that Amazon must not sit on its laurels and stop all development of the Kindle. But then, there's no evidence they have, right? Since the summer they have: brought out the Kindle DX; brought out the Kindle 2 Global Edition; added pdf support for the Kindle 2; brought out the Kindle DX Global Edition; added support for other languages; created a new royalty model for authors. And delivered flawlessly over the critical Xmas season when its prime competitors floundered.

I will give it to Amazon about getting the Global Editions out to market. They have been able to get an established product in the US to the World. They should make a ton of money.

If Amazon was smart, they would be VERY cautious about "jumping" on Android. Amazon Kindle is a gateway into selling, seamlessly and easily, as much content as possible. The Android OS is about surfing the net and becoming a netbook or a gussied up smartphone. Amazon should focus on making the best dedicated reading device and focus enhancements on readers within niche markets -- like text-books, annotation, note-taking sharing, etc. It does not have to figure out a good way to add video pop-ups to Sherlock Holmes.

The problem is that the software which drives the Kindle is getting aged. It was Amazon who insisted that they would never enable foldering. Amazon nows seems ready to update its organization scheme. It just took years of harassing from their install base to get them to see how important it is.

They don't need to find a way to make video pop-ups work in their readers. They just don't need to get behind the development curve and frankly, they are.

The Kindle is a Linux OS the same as Android. With all of the devices coming to the market with Android and with the wealth of developers who will be schooled on how to develop for Android, it would seem prudent for Amazon to consider converting the OS over to Android. They can still limit how the interface is handled which in turn limits the Apps which will be placed on it by the End User. By making a key move to Android, they would virtually mega-jump their ability to support the Kindle. They could still implement a proprietary model for selling Apps for use on the Kindle. They could still have a licence model like Apple has with Iphone App Development. They would just empower the developers who want to develop for the device.

Amazon has the ability to drive the vision here and, so far, they are doing a pretty good job. There's no sign they are asleep or on vacation. But as tempting as slipping into glitz like adding a "touch screen strip" so they can say the device "has a colour screen", they need to make sure their device really delivers the best content and the best reading experience.

The only effective use of an added LCD panel has been with the Entourage design in my opinion. Amazon should keep the design of the Kindle simple but still groundbreaking. Their focus should be on being the best Book Store model out there.

I admire Sony as a CE player but they really need to be taken to task for their silly claim of "1 million Google books". These are delivered as the OCR'd versions of Google scans -- which means they are virtually unreadable due to so many errors. It's shocking, actually.

The Google books thing is pretty lame. One quick thing they should definately do though is standardize on EPub. The Mobi format will be their downfall do to its inability languagewise. Now that they have went Globally, they should want the whole world to want one.

It's far too early, in short, to "demand" Amazon "get out of the way" when it is Amazon that is actively seeking better ways to access for more content, for more people in more countries. Amazon's agreement with AT&T to deliver seamless wireless 3G in 100 countries, free, is pretty astonishing.

I stand by my statements. Amazon is a great company and I enjoyed my Kindles immensely. Amazon just needs to maintain their sharpness on the cutting edge or just get out of the way for those they inspired.

lorenzoens
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Reading this now after two years seems quite funny.

LOL, when it comes to big/advanced readers, seems like the authors weren't that much informed.

Both QUE and Skiff never entered the market. The Edge, which they gave 0% of surviving, lasted 14 months and after 2 YEARS, now, in 2012, it's still the most advanced ereader available. The only one which allows you to WORK over a text.

The only E-READER for academics and for education.

After the company ran out of business, it's been acquired by russians and it's bein used in schools (http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/03/features/classroom-disruptor?page=1). In Europe you can still buy it from Holland at a discounted price, and it's absolutely worth it.

Other 9,7" ereaders currently selling: the Kindle DXG is prehistoric compared to it (only it has a better readibility thanks to the Pearl screen). The Pocketbooks cannot annotate like the Edge. The new Boox M92 may compete with it, if only it had a decent firmware.

Edit: I've just seen a new video review of the 9,7" Jetbook "Color". Gosh, for 500 bucks it's terrible. Isnt' the edge still better?

Filark
02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
:rofl: Thanks, Lor (may I call you that??) for resurrecting this thread! Pretty funny how much things have changed, and how they've stayed the same! :p

I agree with you that nothing truly "better" has emerged.

If only enTourage had been a bigger company, or sold to a bigger international (not just Russian) company, and been able to continue evolving their 2 product lines. I would so love to see a trimmer, lighter, faster version of the big eDGe with a Pearl eink screen, and the same for the Pocket eDGe, which could include cell phone capabilities. :2thumbsup

People still ask for a good, large pdf reader in the "Which one should I buy?" forum, and the answers are unsatisfactory.

Sad. A year later for me and I'm still glad I decided to buy! :D

MasterTec
02-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Don't know if you guys are familiar with computer joysticks but this reminds me of the Logitech G940.

It could have been great! But decisions to skimp on quality, R&D and support plagued the product to the point of death.

Sad really. It had sooo much potential. Now everyone is afraid to try anything even remotely similar.

lorenzoens
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
But if you read this:
http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/03/features/classroom-disruptor?page=1

you see that someone still has the guts to bring forward the idea.

By my opinion, the dualbook format is unmatched for working on texts.