Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Aztak sent me a used reader?!

I just ordered the 6" reader from http://www.theezreader.com/. It arrived yesterday, but it is very obviously used:
-The two most frequently used buttons (the two page-forward buttons) are badly worn, and the paint has faded so badly on the main page-forward button that the number zero on it is obscured.
-The reader is meant to have a matte finish, but underneath the main page-forward button someone's finger has worn the plastic so much that it is shiny and smooth.
-There are two noticeable scratches on the top right-hand corner
-There is a small piece gouged out of the plastic on the bottom right-hand corner.

Photos of all of the above are attached. Incidentally, I happen to have another Hanlin reader (same model) which I recently dropped after a year of heavy use. The body of that reader has no visible scratches or gouges, and the paint is not noticeably worn on any of the buttons. I don't know how old this reader is, but I'm willing to bet that it's taken well over a year of heavy beatings.

I called Astak customer support, and the guy told me that it couldn't possibly be used because it's not their policy to send out used devices. I don't know how it happened, but it did, and their lack of acknowledgement is making me very mad.

Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I will look into this immediately.

As a policy, Astak does NOT sell used or anything but new devices. Returned units are used at Trade Shows and never shipped.

BUT... your pictures are good. I do not argue... but I will get to the bottom of this!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Robert
Look at the Logo on that product
It does not match the pictures on the Web site or the one on My Pocket Pro.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Let us match numbers and get this right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
I just ordered the 6" reader from http://www.theezreader.com/. It arrived yesterday, but it is very obviously used:
-The two most frequently used buttons (the two page-forward buttons) are badly worn, and the paint has faded so badly on the main page-forward button that the number zero on it is obscured.
-The reader is meant to have a matte finish, but underneath the main page-forward button someone's finger has worn the plastic so much that it is shiny and smooth.
-There are two noticeable scratches on the top right-hand corner
-There is a small piece gouged out of the plastic on the bottom right-hand corner.

Photos of all of the above are attached. Incidentally, I happen to have another Hanlin reader (same model) which I recently dropped after a year of heavy use. The body of that reader has no visible scratches or gouges, and the paint is not noticeably worn on any of the buttons. I don't know how old this reader is, but I'm willing to bet that it's taken well over a year of heavy beatings.

I called Astak customer support, and the guy told me that it couldn't possibly be used because it's not their policy to send out used devices. I don't know how it happened, but it did, and their lack of acknowledgement is making me very mad.

Dear Krytes:

PLEASE, call Elliott tollfree at 1-866-368-8788 right away and let him assist you. You did not say when you purchased this and if you can call we can find out what may have happened. In any case, if all checks out on the paper trail, let Elliott get you taken care of properly! No fighting. Very easy.

THEN, once we get the old unit back with box, we can find out how this happened and prevent this mistake from happening again. Our hours are 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

Note to Mr. Ducks: Thank you. Sometimes when we return units to the factory they ship us back new units that have the old logo on them. Which of course means we need to assure the factory did not ship us a used unit in the first place. We did update our logo about 5 months back.

In any case, we are wanting to get things done promptly and to your liking, krytes. And... then we will scrutinize how in blazes the mix-up happened and why and prevent it.

My most sincere apologies if we did make this mistake. We like our end users and would never purposely ship anything not fully new!!~
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Robert,
Thank you for the speedy reply. I'd like to know how it happened, too. I bought the reader to read my electronic textbooks for courses that I'm currently taking. Shipping it back to the States (I'm in Canada) would mean a minimum of around two weeks without a good way to read my textbooks, so I'm not eager to do that.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing functionally wrong with the unit. I'd prefer to keep it. Astak does sell refurbished products on their website at a discount, so could you just refund me the difference between a new and refurbished reader? I'll send this to Elliott so he can get any information he needs to check up on where this reader came from and why.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
astek