View Full Version : Digital Editions -- Too Many Activations

Serena
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Has anyone had any luck with getting their activations re-set? Is there a better way to do this than going through Adobe Support?

I re-set my device, and in the process I ran out of activations. Did not realize that activations are not actually per device, but apparently are counted every time you attempt to activate. I have a support ticket in with Adobe, and have been waiting 4 days for them to fix. Apparently, the support desk does not know how to re-set the activations.

I also contacted Sony to see if they could help, but apparently, they just have to put in a ticket with Adobe too.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Never mind, I went with the "strip DRM" solution. Thank you I Love Cabbages!!!

JSWolf
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I did activate a second computer with ADE. Went well. But the only reason I did so is so I can see the ePub to know wat sort of fixes I need to make to it after I strip the DRM.

Jim Lester
01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
What's the case #?

Serena
01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Case number is 181367978. It's now been 7 days, and no support from Adobe. But I figured out how to strip DRM in less than an hour, and found Calibre, which is a much better program than Adobe Digital Editions anyway.

Jim Lester
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the Case #. It looks like Support just reset your activation count (however they did it incorrectly so it would've caused you additional heartache). I reset it correctly for you, as well as added my usual complaint to management about our support.

Serena
01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Thank you! I know it's not your fault, I do appreciate your support.

Jim Lester
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Serena,
Is the Aluratek Libre that you are having problems with something you purchased, or is a pre-release copy that you are reviewing?

I ask because the Libre has not yet been certified by Adobe yet.

Serena
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Interesting. The Libre was something I purchased, because it said on their webpage that they support Adobe Digital Editions. I think the problem I had with it is that the firmware update didn't take properly (I suspect because they had me install it on the cheap memory card that came with the book, but I can't prove that). Once I got the firmware update to work, it accepted the Digital Editions activation just fine.

Serena
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
It is also listed as a supported device on the Adobe Digital Editions page???

Jim Lester
01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
The device page (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices/) lists the currently active and announced products that our RMSDK customers have told us about, and does not state anything about their certification. Given the title "Supported Devices page" I can see where this is confusing.

theonna
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
What's the case #?

Case #0181387248 -here is mine.
I would greatly appreciate your help.
Now it could be awesome if we could manage our activated devices via adobe account, same as Sony Reader Library, it is still not very convenient, but as of now- even If I strip my reader library account- I still can not reregister a device- adobe digital registration fails.
Thank You

Terisa de morgan
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Well, I have the same problem now. I've just sent the ticket so, if I know nothing on next Wednesday I'll complain here :D

But that isn't the problem. I've deregistered a computer and activated again. It shouldn't change the number of activations I have. This is a real software bug, sorry, not a security feature or anything else. I can run out of activations deauthorizing and activating only one device.

Jim Lester
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, I have the same problem now. I've just sent the ticket so, if I know nothing on next Wednesday I'll complain here :D

Support's average clear rate is 3 days, and I won't generally step in to fix unless it's been a week. However definitely complain if it hasn't been fixed by Wednesday (you too theonna)

But that isn't the problem. I've deregistered a computer and activated again. It shouldn't change the number of activations I have. This is a real software bug, sorry, not a security feature or anything else. I can run out of activations deauthorizing and activating only one device.

2.) Deactivation only deletes the activation record from your machine, it doesn't do anything else. Specifically deactivation doesn't give you any activations back, so you only really want to do it if "you sell a reader or computer " and not for any other reason.
(you can read the rest of the thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=716613&postcount=15) for additional details )

You will note that we don't have a menu item deauthorizing - this is on purpose.

JSWolf
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
The device page (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices/) lists the currently active and announced products that our RMSDK customers have told us about, and does not state anything about their certification. Given the title "Supported Devices page" I can see where this is confusing.
Under Sony, the 500 is missing. It now supports ADE if it's sent in for a firmware update.

JSWolf
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Jim, is there any reason we cannot deactivate ADE for an active device in order to get back these activations?

theonna
01-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Jim, is there any reason we cannot deactivate ADE or an active device in order to get back these activations?

I second the question.
If I am allowed by EULA to have 6 authorized devices- and I sell, update, reinstall on any of them- I could run into that exact problem? Well, I did run into it already.
:angry:

dms
01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I ran into the same issue last week with the "Too Many Activation Error" I have not heard back from digital editions support and if you read their forums, there are many people in the same situation. It was definately my fault since I didn't realize that activations are not by device too and I was so excited when I got my new reader. I downloaded some books from my library and that is when it hit me. I can't read my borrowed books, but at least I can reborrow them if my activations ever get cleared.

Jim Lester
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Did you get this resolved, and if not what was the case #?

(I responded to theonna privately, btw).

dms - same deal. I will jump in to fix things if you case has been dropped (I consider that to be more than a week) but I will need the case #. However the current average close rate for these support cases is 3 days (or at least that is what support tells me it is....).

rmeister0
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
I ran into this exact same problem that had my PRS-300 useless for over a week until it was fixed. Prior to Sony's conversion to ePub I never had a problem authorizing and de-authorizing a computer.

The big problem with Adobe's DRM scheme is the complete lack of transparency. The fact that deactivating a specific installation does not give you that activation back is only to be learned on some internet forums.

Now apparently there's this mysterious number of activations that are added to your account over time, but what are they? How many? How often?

Sony's Bookstore and iTunes both give you ways to look up how many computers and/or devices you have authorized and what your current limit is. Both give you a mechanism to de-authorize and give you that activation back.

Adobe must provide a self-help customer service option on their web site where a customer can see exactly how many activations have been used and how many are left. And if they won't change how deactivations work then at least provide a mechanism to request more without having to wait a week for a return e-mail or call tech support only to be told the issue has to be referred up the chain.

:smack:

Sydney's Mom
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I ran into this a couple computers ago, and it was fixed in a couple days. But I can see it happening again, and soon! As we get more and more electronics, and want to read our library books on them, the lack of ability to add new electronics is a real bummer.

Terisa de morgan
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Did you get this resolved, and if not what was the case #?

No, I haven't gotten it resolved, sorry to annoy you. The case is #0181387235. I apologize to disturb you, I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.

Valloric
01-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.

[emphasis mine]

Seriously? That's horrible. I'd never expect something like that from Adobe.

Jim Lester
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
No, I haven't gotten it resolved, sorry to annoy you. The case is #0181387235. I apologize to disturb you, I understand they have a lot of problems but I've tried to call by phone twice and when I was transferred to the department for this, nobody answered the phone.

I can't see enough information in the case to fix this. Please send me a private message with either your AdobeID or the exact and full text of the error messages (I'll need all the numbers, etc after the error code: E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS)

Part of the problem here is that our Phone support isn't doing it's job of correctly telling people that the correct mechanism is to use the web portal (no phone support for ADE) - http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions - click on 'Submit a web case'.

(and yes Valloric, I agree it just not right.... )

Valloric
01-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Part of the problem here is that our Phone support isn't doing it's job of correctly telling people that the correct mechanism is to use the web portal (no phone support for ADE) - http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions - click on 'Submit a web case'.

(and yes Valloric, I agree it just not right.... )

Well then, we agree: it's just not right.

If the correct procedure needs to be followed then Adobe needs to instruct users on what the correct procedure really is. As you've said, Phone Support should tell them what to do.

I do appreciate the help you're giving these people. It's not your job and you're still doing it. That goes a long way in my book.

dms
01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
That would be great. I've been waiting since 1/13. I actually have 2 case numbers because I tried to do the online chat and that did not work so the support person opened another ticket. I've tried updating it a couple times adding all the info that I thought the techs would need to fix it, but I have not heard back. Here are my case numbers. #0202916368 & #0181381645

It definately was my fault being new to ebooks, I did not understand how all the activations actually work together. Thank you for your help.

Jim Lester
01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Done.

Edit: oops - this was for dms - his activations are reset

Terisa de morgan
01-21-2010, 01:40 AM
I've sent the message and I think that support is a bit overhelmed with this (I've called to Spanish support, and no person attends you, it's an automatic SW to transfer the call).

Jim Lester
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I've sent the message
I got it and have reset your activations.

I think that support is a bit overhelmed with this (I've called to Spanish support, and no person attends you, it's an automatic SW to transfer the call).
Although I am much more familiar with how support works than I was two years ago (and this isn't necessarily a good thing), I've got no clue about how the non-english phone lines are staffed, so I can't say for sure whats going on there.

JSWolf
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
How many ADE activations do we get and how many device activations?

Terisa de morgan
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I got it and have reset your activations.

Although I am much more familiar with how support works than I was two years ago (and this isn't necessarily a good thing), I've got no clue about how the non-english phone lines are staffed, so I can't say for sure whats going on there.

Thank you very much. And about support, it's very normal in Spain.

dms
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Jim, Thank you. I did get a message today that my activations were cleared. I haven't tired yet, but thank you for your help and helping everyone out there.

MerLock
02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
I have this fear that I'll be screwed if I have this problem and Jim either retires, moves on to another company or stops visiting these forums. =(

w1nt3r
02-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Hi Jim, can you also reset mine? Case #0181418915. Thanks!

Jim Lester
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Jim, can you also reset mine? Case #0181418915. Thanks!

EDIT This case was fixed on 02/04 (and still pending w1nt3r's confirmation that it was actually solved). 2 days seems to be about the average after all the information is gathered. I'm working with support to make that make that much better.

...I will jump in to fix things if you case has been dropped (I consider that to be more than a week) but I will need the case #. However the current average close rate for these support cases is 3 days (or at least that is what support tells me it is....).

Not yet - you just submitted your case.

tonyfordham
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I am based in the UK and cannot get a page where I can register my query/problem can anybody help.

Tony Fordham

Jim Lester
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
The Support Portal (http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal) is available at http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal

Are you having problems getting to that page?

tonyfordham
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
:help::help::help:

I have lodged a case with Adobe regarding the subject error and cannot seem to get a response from Adobe can anybody help as I have an unusable brand new Sony Touch Reader PRS-600. The case sent to Adobe was as follows:-

Case #0181421501

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:33:31 AM PST

I am using a Sony Reader with Adobe Digital Editions and I am trying to activate my Adobe Digital Editions so I can upload purchased ebooks and get the following message:

E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept/Activate 6676:676:7676 urn:uuid:ff8a1a25-5995-49ac-ba9c-64ec32f6bc69

I have seen in the Forum that this issue has been raised by others.

To ensure it was not my Sony Touch Reader I contacted Sony and they tried a number of things from their side and then ultimately replaced the whole unit and I still get the Digital Editions error as indicated above.

Is there a way around this as I use my Reader on 2 machines i Desktop and the other a Laptop both running Vista Ultimate.
Browser: Firefox
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate

Can anybody help or at the worse suggest a legal alternative software not removing the DRM.

Regards

Tony:help::help::help:

Jim Lester
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Tony,
I fixed your immediate problem, I've also responded on the Adobe forums where you posted.

Yes you can use the Sony Reader with multiple machines as long as both your Desktop and your Laptop are authorized to the same AdobeID. If you've done that it shouldn't ask you to reauthorize.

rmm200
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Jim as far as I know your efforts to help the people in this forum are above and beyond your normal job responsibilities for Adobe.

I hope someone in your management chain reads these forums and realizes how much good you are doing for Adobe.

I would put you in for a bonus if I could - best I can do is bump your Karma.

Robert

tonyfordham
02-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Tony,
I fixed your immediate problem, I've also responded on the Adobe forums where you posted.

Yes you can use the Sony Reader with multiple machines as long as both your Desktop and your Laptop are authorized to the same AdobeID. If you've done that it shouldn't ask you to reauthorize.

Dear Jim

Many thanks uploaded books and all is well again.

Kind regards

Tony

dadkan
02-28-2010, 05:22 AM
I get the same error "E_ACT_TOO_MANY_ACTIVATIONS ", submitted the problem
(Case #0181464660) and after 2 days they responded with the need of system info and my Adobe ID!
I could send them but how long will this time take, god knows.
I have also another case still open and no response.

Can anybody help me with that error? I booked an exam and i can't reed my book now.

wallcraft
02-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Can anybody help me with that error? I booked an exam and i can't reed my book now. See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423).

Jim Lester
02-28-2010, 11:31 AM
dadkan,
Without your AdobeID that you are using to authorize (which may or may not be the one you are using to log in to submit a web case) or the full exact text of the error message they will be unable to reset your activations.

Wallcraft,
Telling him how to circumvent the DRM when he no longer has the keys on the system is as unhelpful as Adobe support is currently being to him.

pietvo
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I really did read on another forum (Dutch) from somebody who had two different Adobe ID's on two different computers and authorized his Sony Reader on both and could read books from both accounts at the same time on his ereader.

pietvo
02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Telling him how to circumvent the DRM when he no longer has the keys on the system is as unhelpful as Adobe support is currently being to him.
His problem was not that he doesn't have the keys on his system but that Adobe's supports takes too long. Which is rather frustrating when you are before an exam. I can understand that, as an Adobe employee, you frown upon the idea of removing DRM, but when you are in a hurry it might be the only option you have. If Adobe and the publishers wouldn't make things so difficult people probably wouldn't need to go this direction.

afv011
02-28-2010, 01:20 PM
On a side note, is there a way to find out how many activations you have used?

dadkan
02-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Dear Jim,

You saved my day. Thank you so much.
I'm very happy that there is so kind and helpful people in the world, Adobe should be proud of you.

Best Regards,

Dadkan

John
03-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Dear Jim -

Every time I start up the Sony Reader Library, it says my computer is authorized to a different account. It then deauthorizes my computer and reauthorizes it. This works for a few days, but then I obviously run out of authorizations.

The program Adobe Digital Editions goes through the same routine.

Is there any way to get the software to stop reauthorizing itself every time it starts up?

Thank you for all of your help!

John

John
03-05-2010, 01:58 AM
The folks at Sony support helped me track down the problem that kept giving me error 2023. The software from Sony was reauthorizing itself every time I ran the Reader Library software because the "cookie" or "keychain" entry for the Reader Software had become corrupted in my keychain.

In order to fix the problem, we had to remove the offending entry from the keychain, then call Adobe, to increase the number of authorizations, and then reauthorize the Reader Library software.

It's been three days and so far everything is working as it should.

Cheers!

John

sweetnlov
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I received the PRS 600 for christmas. Since that time I have downloaded either purchased books or library books approximately 10-12 times. Now each time I go in to download books the system asked me to authorize my computer. Why is that? Now, of course this week I was out of books so tried to download a book from the library and was told I had too many activations. I have only ever used the one laptop to download books. The whole problem is for some reason the system kept asking me to authorize every time I downloaded a book. This cannot be normal. Can someone help me out? Thanks

Jim Lester
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
sweetnlov,
I would suggest contact Sony Support (sad to say, but they are more responsive than Adobe support). They should be able to help you out.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

YoYo
06-05-2010, 05:27 AM
HELP! Adobe is driving me crazy, I sent them a question to support which I have copied below. Their answer makes no sense to me whatsoever!
Case #0181624621
I have been using ADE for a while without trouble. Recently, it asked me to activate before adding a new book and I did not do so because I thought it was already activated. When I went to reactivate, it said books would not be readable.
Please tell me:
1. How to check it my ADE is authorized
2. If it is unauthorized I want to authorize it without affecting my library
I am worried about activating too many times because I want to upgrade to windows 7 and will need to reactivate again then.

My name is Rakesh, and I am responding to you in reference to your email
request dated 06/03/2010 for assistance regarding the issue which you
are facing with Adobe Digital Editions.
I will be glad to assist you with it, however first let me take this
opportunity to thank you for using Adobe's Product.

I would like to inform you that you activated Adobe Digital
Editions without authorising your Adobe ID.
Thats why you are unable to read an e-book to another computer.

Inorder to read that e-book you need to contact to the e-book vendor.

Can anyone here help me? I have tried to enter my user name and password in the library tab in ADE and when I do, I get the threatening message about my books being unreadable. If I authorised my computer does it not count because I did not authorise the adobe ID. Why can't they have any instructions on the website?

rmm200
06-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Give customer support guys a break; more often than we would like they can only read from the script they are given, and I suspect they don't know what half the words mean.

Small price we pay to have a free-trade world.

Robert

Jim Lester
06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
HELP! Adobe is driving me crazy, I sent them a question to support which I have copied below. Their answer makes no sense to me whatsoever!
1. How to check it my ADE is authorized

If ADE is asking you to enter in a AdobeID/password on startup then you are not activated. The dire warnings state if the AdobeID you entered is not the AdobeID you purchased the books with, then you will not be able to read the content currently on the computer anymore. Go ahead and enter your AdobeID, and see if you can read the books. If you can not, then you need to submit a support case to see what the AdobeID was that you purchased the books with.

If it is ADE is not asking for the AdobeID/password at startup, then you are activated but may have done so anonymously. If you are anonymously activated then your content is not transferable to any other computers or devices. Upgrading your OS will most probably deactivate your computer and cause you to lose all of your content. (Basically don't activate anonymously unless you do not want to keep your content).

To determine if you anonymously activated, select "Authorize Computer" from the library menu. If you are authorized to an AdobeID it will display the AdobeID. If you are anonymously activated, it will start up a wizard (with dire warnings) to associate an AdobeID with your anonymous Adobe DRM account. The dire warnings are saying that you should use an AdobeID that hasn't been used to authorize ADE (or Sony EBL) before.

YoYo
06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
If ADE is asking you to enter in a AdobeID/password on startup then you are not activated. The dire warnings state if the AdobeID you entered is not the AdobeID you purchased the books with, then you will not be able to read the content currently on the computer anymore. Go ahead and enter your AdobeID, and see if you can read the books. If you can not, then you need to submit a support case to see what the AdobeID was that you purchased the books with.

If it is ADE is not asking for the AdobeID/password at startup, then you are activated but may have done so anonymously. If you are anonymously activated then your content is not transferable to any other computers or devices. Upgrading your OS will most probably deactivate your computer and cause you to lose all of your content. (Basically don't activate anonymously unless you do not want to keep your content).

To determine if you anonymously activated, select "Authorize Computer" from the library menu. If you are authorized to an AdobeID it will display the AdobeID. If you are anonymously activated, it will start up a wizard (with dire warnings) to associate an AdobeID with your anonymous Adobe DRM account. The dire warnings are saying that you should use an AdobeID that hasn't been used to authorize ADE (or Sony EBL) before.

Oh no, it looks like I activated anonymously without realizing it. I have only bought a few books, the rest were from the library and have expired anyway so I think I will be able to redownload them.

My question now is if I want to activate to fix things for the future, should I use my exisitng adobe ID or start a new one? If I have an adobe id but did not use it to authorise, it should be alright?

One other question and thank you for being so helpful. I tried to download a library book on a laptop (since my desktop was causing problems), this worked fine in the past. I got this error message:
Error getting license

License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

I checked the laptop and it says it is authorized to my email address so it is just the desktop that is anonymous. The laptop is using version 1.7.1 and the desktop has the new version.

Could it be that the new version of ADE is not causing me all this trouble?

Jim Lester
06-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh no, it looks like I activated anonymously without realizing it. I have only bought a few books, the rest were from the library and have expired anyway so I think I will be able to redownload them.

My question now is if I want to activate to fix things for the future, should I use my exisitng adobe ID or start a new one? If I have an adobe id but did not use it to authorise, it should be alright?

If you can redownload the existing books with a new account, I would suggest using the same AdobeID that you have authorized your laptop with, just to keep things simple. In general if you don't want to have to think about it, you are best off with one and only one AdobeID that all your computers/devices/and books are tied to.

One other question and thank you for being so helpful. I tried to download a library book on a laptop (since my desktop was causing problems), this worked fine in the past. I got this error message:
Error getting license

License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

Most likely you are trying to download a book, that you have already opened on your desktop (either using the same .acsm file). Your desktop computer is activated to a different (anonymous) user than your notebook (your AdobeID). This is another reason why you want to keep everything with one AdobeID.

Joykins
01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
bumping this thread now I finally found it...I am experiencing the same problem. I am hoping Adobe can settle this in a timely manner (I submitted a web case). If it does reset my authorizations, does anyone know what happens to the books I have authorized right now both on my computer and nook? (library books and purchases from Sony and Harlequin)? Will reauthorizing everything make it all right or will it make them inaccessible? Last time I authorized my nook it did really funky things with my library books and purchases.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116510

kkysnoopy
02-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Dear Jim

I also requested adobe to reset my activation but they close the case without doing so ,

Case #018196994 , and I reopen another one after it closed case #0182085338 .

Hope you can help reset my activations because i need to activate my new ipad and new iphone . I should have deactivate the older devices but it's too late as I've sold them.

delchar4
03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm having same problem. Had to reset my first Sony reader several times. Bought a newer model. It was defective, swapped it and that was defective also. Returned it and bought a Nook Color activated it and was able to move all my books for Sony Library to the Nook and open and read them. After a week the Nook touch screen went crazy, Swapped for a nother Nook Color and this one is working perfectly. So when I got the final Nook I was already over the limit. Had to get a second ADE account to be able to activate the Nook. After doing so I couldn't read any of the books I had bought with the Sony or the first Nook. I have an open case with Adobe also and have received a response basically asking for the same info I already gave them. What should my next step be?

pietvo
03-30-2011, 01:34 AM
You should not get another Adobe account, as you won't be able to read your books on that as you noted. Just forget about that new account and don't use it. More than one Adobe ID will cause you a lot of trouble. Just wait until Adobe has increased the activation count on your original Adobe ID. And take the opportunity to protest to this whole DRM business as much as you can.

tmkious
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
My ade is also giving me the same error code. I have tried going to adobe site to start a web support ticket but its not letting me.How do i get this reset? This is so frusterating.

Toxaris
01-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Via Adobe... You must enter a ticket or give them a call.

Jim Lester
01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Looks like Adobe changed it's support website again... try this:

Go to http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions
Click on Submit a Web case
This should take you to the customer support portal.
Choose 'Using a product or service' for the 'Choose Issue Type' drop down list...
Next select the 'I am an enterprise customer, partner, or developer and have purchased a support plan.' - yes this is not true, but it's the only way to get the ticket started and Adobe should be slapped for putting this under here (It didn't used to be).
This will cause 'Choose Products' to show up - select 'Additional Products' and then select Adobe Digital Editions and then hit continue.

This should take you to a form to fill out - make sure to put the full and complete error message (which contains the number version of your user id - which will make sure they get the right account) in the details box.