Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Possible Astak Products at CES 2010

Found the following though I don't know how good the source is:

Quote:
The company will show at least one Wi-Fi reader — the Spirite — with 6-inch E Ink screen, built-in MP3 player, and EPUB and PDF compatibility. The Spirite is also compatible with up to 20 non-DRM formats and will likely ship early in the second quarter.

Astak's Touche adds a touchscreen and will offer either 3G or Wi-Fi access, said Astak. A third basic non-connected version, the Strike, will also be displayed. The three 6-inch units could range in price from $229 to $299, but pricing is subject to change, said Astak.
If the Touche is for real and provides the format support, I'm in for one.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Found the following though I don't know how good the source is:

If the Touche is for real and provides the format support, I'm in for one.
Totally agree with you. I just got my Pocket Pro in November but I love it and I'm hooked...having 3G connectivity would be great...but wouldn't that mean using a specific store?

I'm so anxious to hear about the eReader stuff at CES...
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Hello... after long time being silent.. here I am asking if and when would be on plan for Astak to release a 9-9.7" EzReader?...
Maybe similar to that Hanlin A9.... which I think that dimension would definitely be PERFECT for pdf's... eventually with auto-rotation + fitting in window when rotating the device...

Thanks
Ciao
Luigi
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
UGH... I just spent all my money on PocketPro... should have waited maybe for the new model
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
These readers are nothing special. They really do need to be larger then 6 inches to be something.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not to be argumentative, but I don't agree that they need to be bigger. I LOVE my Pocket Pro...it's just the right size to slip into my purse...feels like a regular sized paper back as far as how much is on a page, etc. Of course I read strictly for pleasure and have no need for built in dictionaries, being able to annotate or any of that stuff. Just a bookmark on the last page I read works for me.

The only thing I think is missing from my Pocket Pro would be 3G connectivity, but I knew that when I bought it and I'm o.k. with it. I know when I upgrade that will be one of the reasons why (to gain the 3G access).
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I haven't read any announcements from Astak during CES. Has anyone else?
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I've been looking but haven't seen anything. I'm wondering if I set my hopes too high.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolrone View Post
I haven't read any announcements from Astak during CES. Has anyone else?
Remember there are still 2 more days, lets wait for them.

And yeah, i want to know about future models too (and if there is a 9" or bigger... )
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
Ah. For some reason I thought Friday was the last day.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
French
Groupie

Unfortunately there were none. Can't wait to get an update from Robert. I was really hoping to be moving to an upgraded reader in the Spring/Summer. I'm hooked now.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Uhm at least we can still look forward to those announced Hanlin's A6 and A9 which looks they could be the anti-Kindle...
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Please see todays post on CES

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Unfortunately there were none. Can't wait to get an update from Robert. I was really hoping to be moving to an upgraded reader in the Spring/Summer. I'm hooked now.
Dear All:

During CES there is NO free time at all... 24 hours a day. You answer questions all day long, answer phone calls and emails all night, eat with your company, and try to get 6 hours sleep. Posting becomes impossible. You cannot even take bathroom breaks often and find yourself trying to put those off as long as possible.

CES is total immersion in your booth. At any given time there are ten people looking and expecting to be helped. TV crews are filming, writers are doing stories, and others are trying to sell you on the latest Text-To-Speech or Extended Warranty.

I know that most of you find this odd. Most of us think that all shows are junkets filled with gambling, drinking, and plenty of liquor. CES is not that way for exhibitors. You are constantly trying to remedy the latest emergency on enough brochures or broken TV screens or stolen SD cards. The last thing you can do is post to the forum.

When you get back you have ten days of emails waiting, your body hurts everywhere, and the contacts you did make all want immediate replies. For me I worked around the clock for 9 days. There have been no days off and a twisted knee to not put weight upon.

Yes, it looks like finally we are going to get 9 inch (not 9.7). There were prototypes at our booth and both factories are saying two-three months until they are selling. We expect to finally be able to fill all your needs.

I am very honest with all of you. We have SO much that came at us at CES. I am seeing everything from a new eBook Store to a completely clear Touchscreen (no decrease in resolution) and Wi-Fi all very likely and real. Prices are being worked out, colors need to be thought about, and they need to be built and shipped to our warehouse.

BUT... I hate rumours so I am trying to wait two weeks until everything shakes out and firm plans are afoot. What I have now are some really fabulous potential eBook Readers that look great and seem ready to go very soon.

The 9 inch looks absolutely certain right now!! Yes, it will have Adobe Digital Editions and about 20 other formats. Yes, Wi-Fi and 3G look about to be ready. Sorry that I cannot post pictures or more detail but it takes time to work all this out. AND... there is a certain Product Manager that I respect who wants to firm it all up before I start spreading rumours around. Please bear with us while we set up the models.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Glad you survived the experience, Robertb. Good to have you back, we missed you.

We'll be glad of any updates whenever you can give them

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
French
Groupie

Yes Robert...thank you for coming in and giving us an update. I don't underestimate the amount of work you just went through for CES (and will continue to go through to get caught up). I appreciate what you shared here and that will hold me over until you feel comfortable (have time) to share more.

Last edited by French; 01-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.