Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
misterken
misterken began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Questions about Getting Started with Overdrive Books

Just got my EzReader and will get a library card to be able to download books from Overdrive library.

Assuming I download a book. Is there a "Getting Start" link that I could read up on to show me how to do this step by step?

Do I need to have ADE installed on my computer? Where do I go to download that?

How and where do I get an Adobe ID? Can I read ADE books on the EzReader anonomously?

Once I download the book, do I just copy the file onto my SD card or copy it to my EzReader by dragging and dropping it via Windows Explorer?

Is there something on the EzReader where I tell it my Adobe ID?

Can both my wife and I download books using different accounts and read them on the same EzReader?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ken
misterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
You download ADE from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Once installed you'll need to authorise your computer, part of this process requires you to create an Adobe ID (by using your email address).

Once ADE is installed you plug in your EZReader and have ADE authorise that device (keep in mind you can authorise up to 6 devices with one ADE ID).

I havent used Overdrive, but other epubs I have bought I have downloaded the file (.acm I think the extension is) and then opened that file up in ADE, which will then download the actual book you purchased.

From there through ADE just drag'n drop the file in the ADE window from your library to your EZReader.

Hope this is of some help.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
I use overdrive and follow the steps exactly like the one by Solicitous, it will work.
Just select the title and choose send it to the device(last part).
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
misterken
misterken began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Multiple ADE account authorizations per eReader?

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed writeup. It seems pretty straightforward.

Does anyone know if an eReader can maintain authorizations from two different accounts? Or can an eReader only maintain one account?
misterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Currently it's one account on one eInk device. A computer can have an account per OS user account.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
What Solicitous said, and the file extension is .ascm.

It will first appear in your "download" window/dialogue box where you will typically be asked whether you wish to save it or open it (or refuse it, which of course is not an option if you want to read it). If you save it, the .ascm file will be in your download folder where you will need to seek it out and double-click to open it.

It is much easier to just tell it to open, at which time it will also open ADE (if its not already open) which may just sit there for a while appearing to do nothing until it finally may show a progress bar. The book cover will then appear.

If you have borrowed and downloaded several books, click the "borrowed" folder to see them all. (You have a choice of seeing your books as covers, or as a list, btw).

When you connect your reader via USB (this can be done before or after opening ADE), it will appear as two devices (if the SD card is plugged in and the device is turned on), just as it does in Windows Explorer. You will need to click each one to determine which is the SD Card and which is the internal memory. (The internal memory is usually the one with the Astak User Manual on it).

You may just drag and drop the book(s) from the ADE folder to the reader and it/they will be automatically dropped into the "/Digital Editions" folder. Btw, there is a "Digital Editions" folder on both the SD card and the internal memory, but it will only be placed in the one on the device you dragged it to. If for some reason you want it in both places, you will need to drag and drop it to both "disks".

I am unfamiliar with the method of choosing to send it to the device mentioned by Spectrum as I only use the "drag and drop" method. Probably cuz I tried it and it worked, so I didn't seek any other method.

WARNING: Downloading ebooks may become habit forming and has been shown to cause an increase your love for reading if you ever come up for breath and stop downloading every book you can find.

Hope this confuses you and welcome to the Mobileread forums.

Last edited by eGeezer; 01-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterken View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed writeup. It seems pretty straightforward.

Does anyone know if an eReader can maintain authorizations from two different accounts? Or can an eReader only maintain one account?
Are you talking about library accounts or ADE accounts? ADE manages downloading books from several different sources, so I would think you and your wife could share one ADE account to download books from your two library cards (accounts). I'm not sure why you would want two ADE accounts or even if that's possible. I don't see an option to switch accounts in my version of ADE.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
You should also know that sometimes you will transfer a file to your reader and it will not open. If that happens just retransfer the file until it works.

Also, you cannot have an Overdrive PDF ebook and an Overdrive Epub ebook on the device at the same time.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Also, you cannot have an Overdrive PDF ebook and an Overdrive Epub ebook on the device at the same time.
That's only a problem for Sony Readers, and not for the Astak readers (among others).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Belgrave
Belgrave began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
WARNING: Downloading ebooks may become habit forming and has been shown to cause an increase your love for reading if you ever come up for breath and stop downloading every book you can find.
I'm just starting to notice this!
Belgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I downloaded two ebooks from my local library via this and it works really well, though there is a giant border around the text of a good centimetre on all sides, regardless of the zoom level, which is kind of distracting. But still, it's nice to know it works :-)
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #12
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I've just finished the first of the two books that I downloaded from the library. I want to be sure I do this correctly. The FAQ on the libary's website doesn't answer the question.

Do I have to "Return Borrowed Item" from ADE with the PP connected to the computer? What if I return the item and then connect the two, will the system flip out and tell me off?

When the borrowed book times out, does it delete itself from the PP? Does it delete itself from ADE? Do I really need to just do nothing and the system will do it all for me as a result?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Related question:

If I just copy the .epubs from "My Digital Editions" folder in "My Documents" directly onto a SD card and then plug the SD card into my PP, I assume I can still read the books?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
OK, I've just finished the first of the two books that I downloaded from the library. I want to be sure I do this correctly. The FAQ on the libary's website doesn't answer the question.

Do I have to "Return Borrowed Item" from ADE with the PP connected to the computer? What if I return the item and then connect the two, will the system flip out and tell me off?

When the borrowed book times out, does it delete itself from the PP? Does it delete itself from ADE? Do I really need to just do nothing and the system will do it all for me as a result?
The DRM times out at the end of the checkout period preventing you from reading the book any longer.
1. you do not have to return it - they know when it expires
2. you do need to delete the file manually - just to avoid accidentally trying to read it and recover the disk space it occupies.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
omro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The DRM times out at the end of the checkout period preventing you from reading the book any longer.
1. you do not have to return it - they know when it expires
2. you do need to delete the file manually - just to avoid accidentally trying to read it and recover the disk space it occupies.

Dale
Cool, cool, so I delete the files off the PP.

When I return the item from ADE, does it delete from the laptop?