View Full Version : iRex iLiad available for preorder to everyone (who is invited)

Alexander Turcic
06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Not with a bang but with a whimper iRex opened their online store (http://www.irexshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/28) today. Although it's still not officially announced (http://www.irextechnologies.com/shop/index.htm), as our savvy (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6799) readers (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6767) pointed (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6781) out (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6770), you can now preorder your own iRex iLiad e-book reader for 649 Euro (plus 20 Euro for shipping). *bummer* turned out I was a bit too euphoric -- you still need to be "invited" by iRex in order to complete the pre-order.

Watch out though: the iLiad is not expected to be in stock before the last week of June, and iRex doesn't exactly have a good track record of meeting their deadlines.

[via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/16/iliads-irex-e-reader-goes-on-sale-online/)]

jæd
06-16-2006, 04:23 PM
So who has ordered one...? Do I trust Irex with 600 euros...? Oh... You still need that elusive invite...!

oliverbogler
06-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Not with a bang but with a whimper iRex opened their online store (http://www.irexshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/28) today. Although it's still not officially anounced (http://www.irextechnologies.com/shop/index.htm), as our savvy (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6799) readers (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6767) pointed (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6781) out (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6770), you can now preorder your own iRex iLiad e-book reader for 649 Euro (plus 20 Euro for shipping).

Watch out though: the iLiad is not expected to be in stock before the last week of June, and iRex doesn't exactly have a good track record of meeting their deadlines.

[via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/16/iliads-irex-e-reader-goes-on-sale-online/)]

Either I am missing something :blink: , or this isn't quite right. You cannot preorder unless you have an invitation email, as discussed in other threads. You can add the Iliad to your cart, but to check out you need to login, and to login you need an invitation (the register button doesn't allow you to register, only to login). So today is no different from the situation this since earlier this week - Engadget was a little behind the curve... ;).

Out of curiosity - is there anyone from the US who has received an invitation email?

NatCh
06-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I haven't, but I'll let y'all know if I do (though I'll be out for a couple of weeks starting the 22nd).

Alexander Turcic
06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Oliver, thanks for the correction. I was too excited for a moment so I didn't complete the check-out process to find out that you indeed still need an invitation.

Edited the first post accordingly.

oliverbogler
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Oliver, thanks for the correction. I was too excited for a moment so I didn't complete the check-out process to find out that you indeed still need an invitation.

Edited the first post accordingly.

I wish that you had been right, believe me... !! I am scanning my inbox for that elusive invitation, which seems more desireable around here than tickets to the World Cup Final!

TadW
06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
What a tease... what is that with the "on invite-only" crap companies like to use so much these days? Looks like ever since Google introduced its invite-only Gmail service, everyone finds it hip to do so alike. It's ridiculous.

Laurens
06-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, the bright side is that I cannot be tempted to buy one now because I don't have an invite anyway. Really dumb communication on their part, though.

High 5
06-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, the bright side is that I cannot be tempted to buy one now because I don't have an invite anyway. Really dumb communication on their part, though.

Communication seems to be the Achillesheel of Irex.
Or, as a spokesman of Irex put it:
"yes we do have those readerthingies and we do sort of ship'm... sometimes... to certain people... in certain countries... if we feel like it... for a certain amount of money... I think."

As I said earlier, this is what you get if you unchain labrats and toss them in the big bad world of commerce.
:scholar: + :bulb2: = :rolleyes5

oliverbogler
06-16-2006, 05:32 PM
:scholar: + :bulb2: = :rolleyes5

Brilliant - first mathematical use of smilies I have seen!

You are the :crowngrin !!

watcha
06-16-2006, 07:23 PM
I got the invite, only because some weeks back I registered interest with their 'email us' form.
However, reluctant to order as I read that the reader was to get added 'functionality' for the non-business consumer in Sept/Oct. I want a reader mainly for e-books and maybe for getting news/blogs etc.

TadW
06-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I can sense a second-hand market for dealing with invites here ;)

ath
06-17-2006, 03:27 AM
what is that with the "on invite-only" crap companies like to use so much these days? Looks like ever since Google introduced its invite-only Gmail service, everyone finds it hip to do so alike. It's ridiculous.

Not from the point of iRex. I suspect the one thing they don't want to have now is a support problem: lots of single tech-happy users with problems and questions that are of comparatively small interest to solve on a bit by bit basis. Particularly if their customer support isn't geared to that kind of situation. It just steals time better spent on supporting B2B customers -- i.e. where the money iRex will live on is --, and rarely generates anything else but heat. The heat that comes from 'I can't get my hands on one' is of a different kind than 'It doesn't work -- it must be crap'.

That, I suspect, is the reason for the 'invite': do you represent a company that reasonably can be expected to provide content or application or other interest that can be expected to increase the demand for the device? That is, is a unit sold to you very likely to generate future sales? Yes? Welcome, step right in. No? -- sorry, you'll have to wait a bit longer. Of course, I'm guessing here ... but my guesses are based on experiences from a company in much the same situation that iRex is is now. You don't want to spend money on the wrong thing until you have a reasonable economy. I'd be surprised if iRex thought their cashflow would come from enthusiasts and early adopters of the platform.

I'm waiting for September myself -- or rather when iRex opens their shop for end-users. That's when they think the device as well as their customer support is at a level where they can handle it. Or ... when they have decided that they won't give any support to end-users at all, but only to companies. There is a possibility that iRex may prefer to see themselves as a platform provider, and such companies are very rarely interested in supporting end-users.

Sischa
06-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Ah sorry but i think you overrate what Irex do or not do. I don't think they do a selection about who to invite and who not. They are just a little bit unorganized and need some time (and probably miss some people).

I contacted them on 2 different ways. One time for a company which has nothing and really nothing to do with ebooks or technical gadgets in general but i used the e-mail form they had on their site to get informed when shop opens.

The second way was for my own company which could generate many distributors for a device like the ilead. I contacted them 2 times but not with the email form mentioned above and what should i say for the first company nothing to do with ebooks i got an invite for the second i not even got a reply ...

Hope they will get their things done in the next few month or act more professional with other companies cause if not the iLead will be the next "money run out and product line shut down" ebook thing out there (which would be a pity).

pitcher23
06-17-2006, 07:45 AM
I can sense a second-hand market for dealing with invites here ;)

LOL. If I get one I will offer it for free. I still want the device, but my crazy lust for it has ebbed where I would not pay an estimated $850 for it. I will wait to see what their B2B partners offer it for come late summer early fall.

Snappy!
06-17-2006, 09:26 PM
erm ... Alex, invitated? :p ... invited you meant?

NatCh
06-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Actually, I like "invitated" (with a long i sound, you know) :)

VillageReader
06-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Communication seems to be the Achillesheel of Irex.

Well, maybe so, but I haven't seen a post regarding the new .pdf (June - 06) of the data sheet. So what's different, hmmm?

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 11:39 AM
erm ... Alex, invitated? :p ... invited you meant?
Oups! Wasn't my day then ;)

Now, I just received an invitation. Big question of the day - should I go ahead and buy one?

tribble
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Sure ;) How can you resist? I can feel your urge to instantly go to the irexshop and place your order. Dont fight it. ;) It is a very natural desire. At least for people in this forum. And dont forget to post your order number :)

diabloNL
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Oups! Wasn't my day then ;)

Now, I just received an invitation. Big question of the day - should I go ahead and buy one?

If I would get an invitation I would have the same doughts. Buy the Sony Reader or the Iliad that is more expensive and bigger in size while I only want to read a book.

If I would get an invitation and wouldn't use it I will give it to someone here on the forum that is in desperate need of one. :wink:

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I found a way how I could give anyone here an invitation who wants one. Just not sure if iRex would appreciate it...

diabloNL
06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I found a way how I could give anyone here an invitation who wants one. Just not sure if iRex would appreciate it...

Share it my friend. :D

CommanderROR
06-19-2006, 03:14 PM
damn...i'm stiill not immune to irex posts...I am almost 100% set on never buying an iRex, but somehow it still has it's...attraction...^^

So...what is this plan and why dont you just call iRex and tell them that if they don't issue an invitation to all mobilereaders somebody will...^^

Azania
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Definitely get one for yourself and, go on, hand out those invites. It will be good for you, good for iRex and good for the rest of us!

b_k
06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
i would think as long as it generates them sales, they wouldn't mind. But as soon as the first starts to send complaints in any form to Irex ....

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
damn...i'm stiill not immune to irex posts...I am almost 100% set on never buying an iRex, but somehow it still has it's...attraction...^^

So...what is this plan and why dont you just call iRex and tell them that if they don't issue an invitation to all mobilereaders somebody will...^^
I know the feeling. I am struggling RIGHT NOW whether or not to hit the checkout button. €650 isn't a bargain, especially considering the outstanding issues, but then ... I've been longing for an E Ink reader and this might be my chance.

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
If you really, really think you'll get the iRex and only need the invite, feel free to PM me. No guarantees though, I can only tell you how you'll be able to get around the invite-restriction to sign-up and to make the final purchase.

CommanderROR
06-19-2006, 04:17 PM
it's extremely tempting...but since they won't be in stock before june 30th (yeah...i'll believe that when I see it...) I'll wait a little longer and k´continue researching the possibilities of the Hanlin devices V8 and V2.
Maybe i'll manage to get one of the V2 samples...negotiations still ongoing...^^

Azania
06-19-2006, 04:31 PM
it's extremely tempting...but since they won't be in stock before june 30th (yeah...i'll believe that when I see it...) I'll wait a little longer and k´continue researching the possibilities of the Hanlin devices V8 and V2.
Maybe i'll manage to get one of the V2 samples...negotiations still ongoing...^^
From what I can see, the difference between the iLiad and the Hanlin models is the type of difference you find between an iPod and any other portable "mp3" player. The iRex looks to be a real ergonomic wonder of industrial strength (i.e. overengineered!) and a potentially great feature in being able to get a proper daily newspaper on your device. I think it's worth taking the plunge - I bet the iLiad is going to become a design icon still used by us "old-timers" in twenty years time! Cheap at the price! ;)

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Looks like they discovered the loophole, as it doesn't work anymore, at least as of this moment. If you are interested to know, it involved some simple refer(r)er spoofing. Give me a day more to reconsider, and if I decide against buying the iRex, I am more than happy to give out my invite to someone else.

CommanderROR
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm not so sure about the design...especially the "back side2 looks really ugly...^^

What really worries me about the Hanlins is the very present "ghosting" that can be seen on most if not all TaKirs V8 pics and the fact that software might or might not get developed for them.
What really worries me about the Iliad is the fact that we have no way of knowing how well the battery will really hold out. Also, with the long boot-time I have no idea how using it for casual reading would feel. also, the lack of a cover and the inability of the company to talk to their prospective customers worry me...

Alexander Turcic
06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
What really worries me about the Iliad is the fact that we have no way of knowing how well the battery will really hold out.
I agree that is also my main concern. It's not the goal of E Ink to replace batteries just as often as with other display technologies.

CommanderROR
06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I just contacted Jinke about the ghosting issue. I checked all the pictures I could find and saw ghosting on all but one. BAD.
Has anyone ever notices ghost-images on the Iliad? I can't remember ever seeing it there...
Let's see what Jinke has to say about this. I pointed them to 2 pictures where the issue is very visible so you might say i'm making accusations with proof here...^^

Maybe we should ask henrycat about ghosting on the Iliad. He has been very quiet for a while now. He also didn't post the videos he wanted to..again...^^
The poor guy must be very busy...or maybe his internet connection broke down again...:-)

Meanwhile, check out the Hanlin images and see for yourself how serious the ghosting is...

TaKir
06-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Here you can see some gosts at Iliad )) Look below the last line (link to page3) - white squares...
http://ilimas.com.sapo.pt/IMG_1435.JPG
and here too... (to the leftand below from "Dear Customers") - white squares too...
http://ilimas.com.sapo.pt/IMG_1428.JPG

So, it is not a problem of Jinke or Librie - I guess new Sony Reader will have this "gosts".

But it doesn't look so "strong" in reality. And doesn't disturb reading at all ))

ath
06-20-2006, 02:04 AM
But it doesn't look so "strong" in reality. And doesn't disturb reading at all ))

From the photos, it gives the impression of show-through in printed books: the paper is slightly too thin, and lines not in register, so the 'shadows' of the lines on the next/previous page are faintly visible.

Although it's something to avoid, it's rarely something that disturbs the reading process seriously (though one of the photos with big box 'show-through' was rather bad.)

I pick up the first book on my table -- the Niven collection 'Three Books of Known Space' from Del Rey -- and the show-through is fairly obvious, once the eyes get tuned-off from the text. I think this is the first time I've noticed it myself, though.

I pick up a volume of Dashiell Hammett from Library of America, and show-through is very pronounced, due to the thin paper. Yet, when I'm reading the book, instead of just looking at it, I don't see the show-through except at chapter headings, where there is a large area of unprinted page.

If that's the level of ghosting present, I shouldn't worry about it. Digital photos are sometimes auto-sharpened (my camera always does that), and this would over-emphasize any ghosting in the image, making it difficult to judge the real effect from the images. It might be better to compare with a ordinary, modern book -- better, worse or the same?

TaKir
06-20-2006, 02:19 AM
2ath

You got the idea absolutely right! I have no books, in which there are no gosts at all )))
But it never takes my attention while reading...

Some books have more visible gosts from the back side of a paper, some (very-very seldom) almost have no gosts.
And nobody cares of them...

I've seen no gosts only in art-books (about museums, countries etc,) and in ads papers ))) They use expensive and thick paper (>120g/sq.m).

But... If you will scan your books... You'll find gosts even on such expensive paper ))) For having no gosts while scanning, you should put a piece of black paper from the back side of a page...

Just checked - most p-books, magazines, etc, in my collection have more visible gosts comparing with Jinke...

CommanderROR
06-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Reply from Jinke:

Yes, the current display shows the Ghosting. Now eInk and PVI is improving the displaying effects through technology. The current effective method is “double clear display”, but this will reduce the refreshing speed and the display will flash, the reader won’t feel good about that. After we compare the effects of “double clear display” with “one clear display ”, we still adopt “one clear display”, the strong ghosting you mentioned only happened when you first turn the page after you don’t read the book a long time. When you read the book in normal speed and turn the page, the ghosting will gradually be lightened.

Snappy!
06-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Incidentally, is it possible that the "greyness" of Sony reader and hanlin is worsen due to the contrast or lack thereof between the white casing and the "white" of the screen itself, while iRex's black case increases the perception of "whiteness" in the "white" of the screen.

I've seen some optical illusions where two blocks of grey appear vastly different but are in fact the same color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_illusion
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Gradient.illusion.arp.jpg/250px-Gradient.illusion.arp.jpg
Simultaneous Contrast Illusion. The grey bar is the same shade throughout

ElaHuguet
06-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi Alex,

If you decide you're not buying, I am REALLY interested in buying the iLiad, only thing stopping me is the lack of invite. :)

Regards, Daniela.

CommanderROR
06-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Exactly what I always say Snappy.
dark frames for bright screens...^^

Interesting observation: The Ghosting I saw on the Iliad screenshots seems to be very different from the Ghosting the V8 produces.

Might be that this is because of the pictures that were taken, but I'd love to hear Henrycat's comments on the whole issue.

watcha
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm interested to know what those who plan to buy are going to read on the reader. Are there e-books out there that'll work on the Iliad? I lost faith years ago when Microsoft changed the rules and books that I'd bought to read on my Ipaq pda would no longer open. Although recognising pdf files, will the Iliad cope with books sold to be read with Adobe Reader? Are there text only books? pdf only books? Yours in ignorance!

Riocaz
06-20-2006, 01:04 PM
The iLiad will read a variety of document types: pdf (though not encrypted, i believe), html/xhtml, txt etc.

More details can be found here:

http://www.mobileread.com/eink/

Also the iLiad and the Hanlin (V2) are linux based. As such "homebrew" readers will almost certainly follow soon after launch.

VillageReader
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm interested to know what those who plan to buy are going to read on the reader. Are there e-books out there that'll work on the Iliad? I lost faith years ago when Microsoft changed the rules and books that I'd bought to read on my Ipaq pda would no longer open. Although recognising pdf files, will the Iliad cope with books sold to be read with Adobe Reader? Are there text only books? pdf only books? Yours in ignorance!

Project Gutenberg is up to over 18k books available as .txt and .htm files.

Also, see the anouncement today (MoblieRead from page) on the new standard that should resolve most protection issues (provided they don't force you to update your device every 6 months). A lot of people seem to be on board with this standard.

CommanderROR
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
About Homebrew software...

I'm hoping very much that this will happen for both the Hanlin and the Iliad.

But:

to be of interest for programmers, a device needs to be at least moderately popular. The trouble is, that eink readers are actually losing popularity due to the numerous delays. If Jinke manages to get their Samples out at the end of June (meaning: sometime now...) and their distributers manage to quickly "regionalize" the devices (without breaking them...) so that it actually starts selling in August, together with the Sony Reader, and their SDK is good, then they might still captures some of the crowd. Many unpredictable factors there...
LEt's hope they do...