Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Revised FAQ sheet completed but not posted

Dear All:

Our webmaster is working ONLY on a special surprise we will announce at CES. so he will not immediately be able to post my new FAQ sheet.

I just wanted to let you know that I have finished a newly revised FAQ sheet that will finally bring everything up-to-date. The existing FAQ sheet was written primarily for the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic. The Pocket PRO is on there also but to a smaller degree. There have also been a lot of Firmware Upgrades that needed to be mentioned with instructions on things like "how to set the visible clock to the right time" and how to engage the Search Function.

I was hoping he could post it to our website before CES; but he cannot. The Special Surprise is taking 100% of his time and I cannot even hint what this surprise will be.

Anyway, the revised FAQ sheet is finally done and awaiting posting.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new FAQ sheet is posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Our webmaster is working ONLY on a special surprise we will announce at CES. so he will not immediately be able to post my new FAQ sheet.

I just wanted to let you know that I have finished a newly revised FAQ sheet that will finally bring everything up-to-date. The existing FAQ sheet was written primarily for the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic. The Pocket PRO is on there also but to a smaller degree. There have also been a lot of Firmware Upgrades that needed to be mentioned with instructions on things like "how to set the visible clock to the right time" and how to engage the Search Function.

I was hoping he could post it to our website before CES; but he cannot. The Special Surprise is taking 100% of his time and I cannot even hint what this surprise will be.

Anyway, the revised FAQ sheet is finally done and awaiting posting.
Dear All:

Thanks to some great work by Iris... the changes and revisions to the FAQ sheet are now posted. You can go to www.theEZreader.com under "support" and see the changes.

It is not perfect but a lot of important info was added. I want so badly to have our FAQ sheet be a changing and constantly getting better idea. As new features are added (via Firmware Upgrade) we need to mention how to work in those features.

Thank you for your patience!
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Thanks to some great work by Iris... the changes and revisions to the FAQ sheet are now posted. You can go to www.theEZreader.com under "support" and see the changes.

It is not perfect but a lot of important info was added. I want so badly to have our FAQ sheet be a changing and constantly getting better idea. As new features are added (via Firmware Upgrade) we need to mention how to work in those features.

Thank you for your patience!
saw a glitch:
Code:
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

To adjust the music volume while reading a book... do "NOT" press in on the "nub" on the scroll wheel... just move the scroll wheel "up" to increase volume and "down" to decrease volume while reading a book with the music playing.  Always start the music playing first and then you can open the book.
And you might add: Works with many Linux Distributions similar to Ubuntu.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Robert,

Please please tell us the "big surprise" is he's gonna get rid of the REALLY annoying intro screen to your website?

I think that would please a lot of people
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Robertb

Good find, I will correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
saw a glitch:
Code:
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

To adjust the music volume while reading a book... do "NOT" press in on the "nub" on the scroll wheel... just move the scroll wheel "up" to increase volume and "down" to decrease volume while reading a book with the music playing.  Always start the music playing first and then you can open the book.
And you might add: Works with many Linux Distributions similar to Ubuntu.
Dear the Ducks:

Sharp eye! I will get that done!!
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Looks good, Robertb.

I suspect that, when doing a firmware update, the bin file needs to be in the root of the SD card. Might be good to say that.

Agreed that you should say it is compatible with Linux (all versions, not just Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu). As a Linux geek, I'd expect to see something like, "The Pocket Pro is seen as a USB device and the filesystem will automount (if enabled) or can be mounted." Bonus points if you mention that Adobe's DE crap doesn't have a Linux version, despite their promises, but that this can be worked around by registering the Pocket Pro once using a Windows computer, then copying ade files manually. Linux geeks, like me, are used to reduced functionality and work arounds, just tell us (and, as these things go, the Pocket Pro really doesn't have reduced functionality if you use Linux).

I would suggest taking out the specific updates from the latest firmware. If you want to give them as examples of what past firmware updates have done, fine, but you don't want your FAQ to go out of date quickly. It is good to encourage people to update. (In fact, I'd love an e-mail list I could sign up for that would e-mail me when there is a new firmware.)

I would expect to see directions for checking the version number of the firmware (I found it somewhere). It is good you say no harm is done if you update it to the same version (and it is the easiest flash I've done on any device anywhere - total piece of cake).

I think you have instructions for updating the firmware in there twice, under two different questions. Ditto for adjusting music volume.

At the end of the visible clock (I love this feature!!!! Please add date display.) text, I see this "<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false"

Sorry to be so picky, but for some customers, the FAQ is a make it or break it document when deciding which device to buy. I bought the Pocket Pro because of you being active on this forum, the number of formats and the information in the FAQ (I'd been previously leaning heavily towards a Cybook).
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
Looks good, Robertb.

Agreed that you should say it is compatible with Linux (all versions, not just Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu).
I only tested it on Debian versions and was not sure.

Quote:
It is good you say no harm is done if you update it to the same version (and it is the easiest flash I've done on any device anywhere - total piece of cake).
No special fixtures or software running on the PC. Plug, Hold and Power ON and let it rip

Quote:
text, I see this "<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false"
I missed that one. Now RobertB will never let me hear the end of it and take away my Eeagle Eye badge.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
QIbHom
Connoisseur

theducks, I'm pretty sure that USB support is in the kernel now, so all the distros are going to see it just fine. If you aren't automounting, yeah, there are a few things you'd have to do to access the filesystem, but if you aren't automounting, you know how to do that without being told. Or you are running screaming back to Windows or MacOS.

The drag and dropitude under Linux works a treat. Since the Pocket Pro requires no special software on the computer it is attached to (except in the case of DRM Adobe stuff, which many Linux folks aren't going to be looking to use, anyway), IMHO, it is compatible with Linux.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
theducks, I'm pretty sure that USB support is in the kernel now, so all the distros are going to see it just fine. If you aren't automounting, yeah, there are a few things you'd have to do to access the filesystem, but if you aren't automounting, you know how to do that without being told. Or you are running screaming back to Windows or MacOS.

The drag and dropitude under Linux works a treat. Since the Pocket Pro requires no special software on the computer it is attached to (except in the case of DRM Adobe stuff, which many Linux folks aren't going to be looking to use, anyway), IMHO, it is compatible with Linux.
It works for me on theLinux Distro I use
I was just avoiding the blanket statement that it worked with all Distro's. The only difference I see, is I have ti "eject" each drive (to be safe) on Linux and I cn Stop the pair in the USB task tray on windows XP
Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Robert,

Please please tell us the "big surprise" is he's gonna get rid of the REALLY annoying intro screen to your website?

I think that would please a lot of people
I'll sign onto this. Often I am signing in on a little tablet or netbook. This screen would be even worse on a phone.

Less is more sometimes.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Bonus points if you mention that Adobe's DE crap doesn't have a Linux version, despite their promises, but that this can be worked around by registering the Pocket Pro once using a Windows computer, then copying ade files manually. Linux geeks, like me, are used to reduced functionality and work arounds, just tell us (and, as these things go, the Pocket Pro really doesn't have reduced functionality if you use Linux).
Well bugger me, the things you learn. I installed ADE through Crossover and provided I mount the PP before I load ADE all works a treat, but good to know there is an alternative though.

I kind of find it a little ironic how all these Linux devices released don't actually come with official Linux support for the user, all are designed for Windows (and on occasion MacOSX).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It works for me on theLinux Distro I use
I was just avoiding the blanket statement that it worked with all Distro's. The only difference I see, is I have ti "eject" each drive (to be safe) on Linux and I cn Stop the pair in the USB task tray on windows XP
Fair enough, and true. I unmount or eject both drives, too.

But, since USB is in the kernel now, it'll be common to all of them. BSD, I don't know about, but I'd be shocked if it didn't work there, too.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well bugger me, the things you learn. I installed ADE through Crossover and provided I mount the PP before I load ADE all works a treat, but good to know there is an alternative though.
Cool! Never occurred to me to try emulation. Nice to know as a backup.

Hmm...maybe a sticky Linux with the Pocket Pro thread would be in order, after gathering a few tricks.

And MacOS is just unix with lipstick these days<g>.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I note that not only does the Firmware update procedure appear twice, in both instances, it still only references the 6" procedure of holding down the "vol up" button on the right. Still no mention of the 5" procedure of holding down the top "pg turn" button on the left.

although, the second entry does direct one to the Firmware page where the directioins are complete.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote