Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
originkim
originkim began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V5(=EZreader PP)
Unhappy Why EZ-PP doesn't support other epub formats but English?

Hi!

I'm a Korean student using Hanlin V5 in Shanghai.

Although PP supports many languages with TXT, HTML formats, it seems that PP doesn't fully support epub formats (except English).
I've tried three other languages(Korean, Japanese and Chinese), but failed.
There are just "???" except the Enligh parts.
It only supports Epub formats containing font files.
Can it support EPUBs fully through the firmware upgrade later?

This issue is quite a disappointment for me.

Hanlin V5 = EZ Pocket Pro = BeBook mini

Last edited by originkim; 12-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
originkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by originkim View Post
Hi!

Hanlin V5 = EZ Pocket Pro = BeBook mini
The hardware is the same.

The firmware may make it behave differently depending on which one you use..
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
originkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The hardware is the same.

The firmware may make it behave differently depending on which one you use..
Thank you. I understand.

But, I'm using the Astak firmware(5" EZ Reader Pocket PRO Astak 12/11/2009) in my V5.
And there is no problem so far.

So I think, at least, Astak PP and Hanlin V5 Firmware are exactly same.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong

I will do more test and let you know about the result.

Thanks anyway !

Last edited by originkim; 12-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Will check

Quote:
Thank you. I understand.

But, I'm using the Astak firmware(5" EZ Reader Pocket PRO Astak 12/11/2009) in my V5.
And there is no problem so far.

So I think, at least, Astak PP and Hanlin V5 Firmware are exactly same.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong

I will do more test and let you know about the result.

Thanks anyway !

Dear Originkim:

I work for Astak.

Many of our employees are Mandarin-speakers and readers so I will ask around and see about EPUB in Mandarin and whether that can be done. The factory is in China and they all speak Mandarin so let me find out if the problem is with Adobe or what we need to do.

I will work on this. Sorry for the disappointment. Let me see what can be doneto facilitate EPUB in Korean!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Thumbs down

Quote:
Hi!

Although PP supports many languages with TXT, HTML formats, it seems that PP doesn't fully support epub formats (except English).
The same problem with Polish font I’m wander when Astak will fix this problem I have tons epub books
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
originkim

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Originkim:

I work for Astak.

Many of our employees are Mandarin-speakers and readers so I will ask around and see about EPUB in Mandarin and whether that can be done. The factory is in China and they all speak Mandarin so let me find out if the problem is with Adobe or what we need to do.

I will work on this. Sorry for the disappointment. Let me see what can be doneto facilitate EPUB in Korean!

thanks fou your reply, Mr. Robertb.

It's very kind of you to reply most of the questions (including complaints just like mine) as a member of Astak Corporations.

It is very impressive for me.

I hope I can hear a good news soon.

And I think this forum is the only one place where we can hear about the news from the Astak corporations directly.

This must be lucky for all of us.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
thanks fou your reply, Mr. Robertb.

It's very kind of you to reply most of the questions (including complaints just like mine) as a member of Astak Corporations.

It is very impressive for me.

I hope I can hear a good news soon.

And I think this forum is the only one place where we can hear about the news from the Astak corporations directly.

This must be lucky for all of us.
Most of these problems are simply the fact that the special characters are not in the font that ePUB uses. If Jinke supports user fonts by being able to add the CSS override I think it will solve most of the issues.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
megabadd
Enthusiast
megabadd began at the beginning.

Device: Astak PP
I have the same problem, but with Japanese and Chinese epubs.
megabadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post
I have the same problem, but with Japanese and Chinese epubs.
Have you downloaded the special fonts that are available for these languages from the EZReader web site. It won't work without them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I assume the "Adobe language package", referenced by DaleDe, will solve your problems. If not, a work around for now it to add your owns fonts, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too! The disadvantage of this approach is that you have to modify the CSS of each ePub ebook to define your font as the default (easy to do with Calibre), but this does give you great flexibility.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
originkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I assume the "Adobe language package", referenced by DaleDe, will solve your problems. If not, a work around for now it to add your owns fonts, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too! The disadvantage of this approach is that you have to modify the CSS of each ePub ebook to define your font as the default (easy to do with Calibre), but this does give you great flexibility.

thanks.
I have tried the [Fixing the CSS file] method myself, and I succeeded.
But it is a little annoying to me.
Because I know the i-river Story(another reader very popular in Korea) does fully support multi-language epub without modifying the CSS.

I'm going to try Adobe language package that you mentioned, anyway.

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
megabadd
Enthusiast

I dled the Adobe language pack a while back and it didn't do anything for me...

Going to test out the CSS edit thing.

Problem: I get this error when trying to edit my news recipes' CSS in Calibre: ERROR: Invalid input: <p>Could not create recipe. Error:<br>unindent does not match any outer indentation level (recipe24.py, line 14)

When I try and add this code:
@font-face {
font-family: "Ryo Gothic"
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/RyoGothicPlusN_Medium_FONT.ttf);
}

Line 14 is the "@font-face {" line

Help?

Last edited by megabadd; 01-05-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
megabadd
Enthusiast

Help. Anyone?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think there should be an ";" after "Ryo Gothic". If this isn't the problem you may have to ask in the Calibre forum.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post
I dled the Adobe language pack a while back and it didn't do anything for me...

Going to test out the CSS edit thing.

Problem: I get this error when trying to edit my news recipes' CSS in Calibre: ERROR: Invalid input: <p>Could not create recipe. Error:<br>unindent does not match any outer indentation level (recipe24.py, line 14)

When I try and add this code:
@font-face {
font-family: "Ryo Gothic"
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/RyoGothicPlusN_Medium_FONT.ttf);
}

Line 14 is the "@font-face {" line

Help?
Rename yours font like that (ryogothicplusnmedium.ttf) no upper case no underscore only letters.

@font-face {
font-family: "Ryo Gothic";
src: url(res:///abook/fonts/ryogothicplusnmedium.ttf);
}
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote