Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Acrobat Ebooks

Hi...I posted this question in the Hanlin thread also.

I assume the Sony Ebook Reader will not be able to show downloaded .pdfs from Amazon.com with DRM.

My question to all you guys and gals is simply this - Assuming the reason you wanted to buy an ebook reader was to BUY new ebooks in great numbers would not the above issue rule out the Sony Ebook Reader? or not?

Please explain why - maybe I have missed the point and ebooks can work with the Sony ebook reader from other sources - I do not know.

Cheers
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

You are right. the Sony reader will not be able to display any drm format except their own propitary format. Because you will be stuck with thier format for mainstream books they WILL charge more per book that other sites like amazon. If your planning to buy a lot of ebooks, go buy the illiad. Even though the illiad is not able to display drm books right now, they do plan to have software to do that by the end of the year. Plus the illiad will have user made software that will do that a lot quicker. If you dont want to wait there is always converting the books. The Sony will activly seek ways to foil any attempt to display any drm format other than their own.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert