Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
can we read books from the sony store ( or formerly sony store) and read them in the

pocket pro without ripping the DRM?
I did a couple of quick searches and didn't find the answer.....
I've also been disconnected from here for a while.

I know they changed their format to epub, but has anyone tried them?

They seem to be offering prices competitive with amazon with respect to NY best sellers

thanks

or... has anyone seen "i am legend" cheap? I want to read it

Last edited by SDRebel; 12-19-2009 at 12:45 AM.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
pocket pro without ripping the DRM?
Yup, works fine in the Pocket Pro, without any changes.

They are stored here: /user/Documents/My Books/Reader Library/

However Calibre balks and says it is DRM.

Uh, only tried it with the $0.0 books.

Maybe those you have to pay for will come with a Sony ereader PID? I seem to remember it asking for what Sony device I own, etc. Don't own any, yet!

Anybody who has signed up at the Sony Store, can you tell me if a CC was required? I can't remember. Would have been tricky for me as my US CCs have a foreign billing address, and my foreign CCs have of course the same non-US address. All this is stopping me from checking out B&N. Bummer!
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
SDRebel
Addict

sweet, thanks....any good $0.0 books? I assume they are the public domain books?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
rxsz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
sweet, thanks....any good $0.0 books? I assume they are the public domain books?
Nope, they aren't public domain books. They're probably books from authors who hope that you'll be hooked on their style and be a paying customer.

I just opened Maximum Ride, just to see if it loaded fine, font zooms and all. Oh no, I'm hooked on it now.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
rxsz
Connoisseur

VPN for those not in US

Btw, I ran VPN with US gateways before I connected with their Sony Reader or signed up at the Sony Store. So, am not sure if that got me past any ip checks or whether the Sony Store checks ip.
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
Btw, I ran VPN with US gateways before I connected with their Sony Reader or signed up at the Sony Store. So, am not sure if that got me past any ip checks or whether the Sony Store checks ip.
I've had no problems connecting to the Sony store or getting books there with my Germany ip. I've only gotten free books, so I don't know about credit cards.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
Maybe those you have to pay for will come with a Sony ereader PID? I seem to remember it asking for what Sony device I own, etc. Don't own any, yet!
No "PID" involved (that's MobiPocket DRM). The ePub files that the Sony Store sells are normal ePub Adobe DRM and will work with any ADE-enabled device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Yes, you can buy any and all Sony ebooks and use them on a Pocket Pro (or any other EInk device with Adobe Digital Editions). You can copy them directly from My Documents\My Books\Reader Library into any folder you want on the Pocket Pro. I have done this and it works. There is no need to go through Desktop Adobe Digital Editions (once you have authorized the device).

Make sure you use the same AdobeID at the Sony store as at other stores. I think this is automatic if you already have Desktop ADE configured with your AdobeID before opening Sony eBook Library.

Note that FictionWise is also now selling Secure Adobe ePubs, in addition to their DRM-free multi-format ebooks that include ePub as one download option.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
SDRebel
Addict

sweet, thanks everyone
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So does this mean I need to install sony's software to use their store?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
So does this mean I need to install sony's software to use their store?
Yes. That is the only way to buy ebooks from the sony store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I now lack interest in the sony store. lol.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Announcement coming at CES

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I now lack interest in the sony store. lol.
Dear omro:

If you can wait until December 7-10, you just may see a fine way to purchase eBooks. I am forbidden to say anything. Just keep a watchful eye!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
tenkar
tenkar doesn't littertenkar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, DX, Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear omro:

If you can wait until December 7-10, you just may see a fine way to purchase eBooks. I am forbidden to say anything. Just keep a watchful eye!
Rob,

Isn't today Dec 21?
tenkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
rxsz
Connoisseur

december? january?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear omro:

You've been working too hard Robertb. You surely meant January 7-10.