Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Embeded fonts vs. TOC

Since upgrading firmware last summer, I have not been able to get my embed font to work in a TOC in epubs on my v3. The latest firmware out still has not fixed this problem and Astak has been getting less helpful as time goes on (and I can't tell if they even understand the issue...).

Has anyone successfully formatted and epub for the v3 (newest firmware) that will allow for embed fonts to be used in the TOC? My document was originally created with calibre, but I have been editing it by hand to try to resolve this issue.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are embedded fonts supposed to work in an ePub TOC?

The TOC is metadata, not part of the main flow of the ebook. In both the Desktop ADE and the Desktop Sony eBook Library, the TOC is never shown in the main text viewing pane but rather in separate sub-windows. I think this is also the case on an EZ Reader - essentially when you go to a TOC you are exiting the main view and going into a library view somewhat similar to how folder contents are listed.

A work around might be to add a "TOC" inside the body of the ebook using hyperlinks. This is how many MOBI ebooks used to do navigation, before an explicit TOC entry was added. If the problem with the standard font in the actual TOC is a lack of the required symbols, you could produce latinized versions or just drop most of the text (e.g. use chapter 1, chapter 2, etcetera). This could be in addition to the more complete internal TOC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Are embedded fonts supposed to work in an ePub TOC?
All I know is they used to. Now they don't

Quote:
The TOC is metadata, not part of the main flow of the ebook. In both the Desktop ADE and the Desktop Sony eBook Library, the TOC is never shown in the main text viewing pane but rather in separate sub-windows. I think this is also the case on an EZ Reader - essentially when you go to a TOC you are exiting the main view and going into a library view somewhat similar to how folder contents are listed.
That should not prevent me from specifying the font. In my case, I want the TOC in the same language as the rest of the EPUB.

Quote:
A work around might be to add a "TOC" inside the body of the ebook using hyperlinks. This is how many MOBI ebooks used to do navigation, before an explicit TOC entry was added. If the problem with the standard font in the actual TOC is a lack of the required symbols, you could produce latinized versions or just drop most of the text (e.g. use chapter 1, chapter 2, etcetera). This could be in addition to the more complete internal TOC.
If Astak ever gets internal links working in epub, that might be an option. Right now, I'd like most of the fixes they add along with the old font behavior.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
All I know is they used to. Now they don't
Could this be from the switch from FBReader to Adobe DE?
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
hyegeek
Groupie

Nope. It was an update to ADE, my reader was purchased after the switch.
Advert