Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
5 Minute First Impressions...

I could only use my new PP briefly, as I had to rush out to class. Am writing this in my break.

I had a BeBook in 2008, but returned it because it was too slow and the 4 greyscale display was a major disappointment. But I loved the form factor and simplicity, but it's inability to render my PDF textbooks in a readable manner was a dealbreaker. I bought a DR1000S and loved the screen, loathed the form factor and the slow speed. I knocked it off the desk and cracked the screen a few months ago :-(

The PP was never bought to replace the DR as a textbook reader, I bought it for a bit of fun and to read fiction on.

Opened the box, saw the "leather" case. Liked the size of it, loathed the colour. Anaemic tan is not an attractive colour. Charcoal grey would have been slick. Minor quibble.

Took the PP out of its case and plastic and loved the colour and the feel of the "Classic Maroon" exterior. I wanted a non-bland distinctive colour, something fun.

Plugged it in and turned it on.

I agree with all the comments about the less than dark colouring of the times font used for the menu. For some reason it is a dark grey, rather than a black. I have a personal hatred for times fonts, so I'm wondering what will happen if I delete the font from the PP. If it can even be done. The arial font used on the "about" page is a lot clearer and darker than the larger times fonts below it.

I only had time to try two files. I threw in the 16GB SDHC card from my DR and opened up one of the PDFs I'd created from my lecturer's PowerPoint files. The PP displayed the PDF perfectly and readably, I'm very pleased.

Had a bizarre thought, decided to open a 13mb PDF textbook, just to see how it handled it. Normally, on the DR1000S, this would open quite slowly, but the textbook's cover flashed onto screen on the PP almost instantly. To flip between pages was equally swift compared to the DR1000S. In portrait mode, a full screen page of the textbook was pretty much unreadable. The text was way too small. However, rotated and reflowing, the text is small, but surprisingly readable. Shock! I wasn't expecting that. I had tried opening this same textbook on the BeBook last year, but it was slow and the 4 levels of grey, even rotated and reflowing, rendered the text barely legibly. For this considerably smaller PP to open the textbook quickly and readably, albeit with rather tiny text, is a huge unexpected boon.

I have left it charging and I will try it more when I get home.

I'm excited.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you for 5-minute review

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I could only use my new PP briefly, as I had to rush out to class. Am writing this in my break.

I had a BeBook in 2008, but returned it because it was too slow and the 4 greyscale display was a major disappointment. But I loved the form factor and simplicity, but it's inability to render my PDF textbooks in a readable manner was a dealbreaker. I bought a DR1000S and loved the screen, loathed the form factor and the slow speed. I knocked it off the desk and cracked the screen a few months ago :-(

The PP was never bought to replace the DR as a textbook reader, I bought it for a bit of fun and to read fiction on.

Opened the box, saw the "leather" case. Liked the size of it, loathed the colour. Anaemic tan is not an attractive colour. Charcoal grey would have been slick. Minor quibble.

Took the PP out of its case and plastic and loved the colour and the feel of the "Classic Maroon" exterior. I wanted a non-bland distinctive colour, something fun.

Plugged it in and turned it on.

I agree with all the comments about the less than dark colouring of the times font used for the menu. For some reason it is a dark grey, rather than a black. I have a personal hatred for times fonts, so I'm wondering what will happen if I delete the font from the PP. If it can even be done. The arial font used on the "about" page is a lot clearer and darker than the larger times fonts below it.

I only had time to try two files. I threw in the 16GB SDHC card from my DR and opened up one of the PDFs I'd created from my lecturer's PowerPoint files. The PP displayed the PDF perfectly and readably, I'm very pleased.

Had a bizarre thought, decided to open a 13mb PDF textbook, just to see how it handled it. Normally, on the DR1000S, this would open quite slowly, but the textbook's cover flashed onto screen on the PP almost instantly. To flip between pages was equally swift compared to the DR1000S. In portrait mode, a full screen page of the textbook was pretty much unreadable. The text was way too small. However, rotated and reflowing, the text is small, but surprisingly readable. Shock! I wasn't expecting that. I had tried opening this same textbook on the BeBook last year, but it was slow and the 4 levels of grey, even rotated and reflowing, rendered the text barely legibly. For this considerably smaller PP to open the textbook quickly and readably, albeit with rather tiny text, is a huge unexpected boon.

I have left it charging and I will try it more when I get home.

I'm excited.
Dear Omro:

Thank you! You are off to a good start and letting it charge is the way to go!!

Do NOT assume that all the latest Firmware Upgrades are on there already. You cannot do any harm by doing the download of all Firmware Upgrades again just to be sure you are up-to-date.

I am happy that you are excited!! I also love the Classic Maroon as it is a not-the-norm color and catches everybody's eyes!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I plan to update the firmware when I get home, definitely.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
omro
Addict

Am loving PDF reflowing, my DR1000 never did that.

An on device delete feature is sorely needed. I print off a lot of blogs to PDF, so I can read them on a commute. I used to read and delete as I went on my DR1000.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
An on device delete feature is sorely needed. I print off a lot of blogs to PDF, so I can read them on a commute. I used to read and delete as I went on my DR1000.
The Lbook firmware for the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO) has that feature, but I *thought* that the Astak firmware had it also? With the Lbook firmware, when you are in the bookshelf, you just press the number key for the book you want to delete and HOLD THE KEY DOWN until a pop up menu appears. One of the menu items allows you to delete the book. I use that feature all the time since I never leave any previously read material on my reader.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
omro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The Lbook firmware for the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO) has that feature, but I *thought* that the Astak firmware had it also? With the Lbook firmware, when you are in the bookshelf, you just press the number key for the book you want to delete and HOLD THE KEY DOWN until a pop up menu appears. One of the menu items allows you to delete the book. I use that feature all the time since I never leave any previously read material on my reader.
Nope, just opens the book
Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
It does work that way with OpenInkpot, but that doesn't run on the PP (yet?)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for checking!!!! I guess that I will be continuing to use the Lbook firmware on my PocketPRO then, since I do use the delete capability a lot.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
It does work that way with OpenInkpot, but that doesn't run on the PP (yet?)
The Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO) is in the OpenInkpot Wiki, but there is no schedule shown for when a port might begin.