Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Bookmarks

Robertb:

I didn't see any recent threads on this, so here goes. I have one 3" and one 5" reader. My wife and I read quite a lot. I am usually reading 1-3 books at a time. It is frustrating with our readers because with epub and pdf (through no fault of Astak), we are forced to use those file types predominately.

Well, the bookmark feature doesn't work. And what is even more frustrating is that the reader doesn't "remember" where I am in the book, like my mobi files do. I can change books and come back and my reader remembers where I was. This doesn't happen in either my pdf or epub books.

I am asking that these issues be addressed , if it hasn't already. If we are to use our readers , to read, we should be able to bookmark our location.

Thanks
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
Robertb:

I didn't see any recent threads on this, so here goes. I have one 3" and one 5" reader. My wife and I read quite a lot. I am usually reading 1-3 books at a time. It is frustrating with our readers because with epub and pdf (through no fault of Astak), we are forced to use those file types predominately.

Well, the bookmark feature doesn't work. And what is even more frustrating is that the reader doesn't "remember" where I am in the book, like my mobi files do. I can change books and come back and my reader remembers where I was. This doesn't happen in either my pdf or epub books.

I am asking that these issues be addressed , if it hasn't already. If we are to use our readers , to read, we should be able to bookmark our location.

Thanks
I have noticed with both those formats that "Recently Read" does remember.
The issue is, it remembers the Physical file page number that the first line on the screen belongs to. The next line may have the next page number showing. If you exit the book and come back, you return to the beginning of the physical page (which may be 3 or 4 screen pages).

Can it be made to remember the screen offset count count as well?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Yes, we are working with the factory to improve the bookmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have noticed with both those formats that "Recently Read" does remember.
The issue is, it remembers the Physical file page number that the first line on the screen belongs to. The next line may have the next page number showing. If you exit the book and come back, you return to the beginning of the physical page (which may be 3 or 4 screen pages).

Can it be made to remember the screen offset count count as well?
Dear All:

I know they already did a Firmware Upgrade to improve the bookmarking back in September... and at that time several people posted saying it was improved.

I will try to get to the bottom of the problem and find out what can be improved.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I know they already did a Firmware Upgrade to improve the bookmarking back in September... and at that time several people posted saying it was improved.

I will try to get to the bottom of the problem and find out what can be improved.
It is possible that people don't know how to use the new bookmark ability which is not described in the manual. It is also possible that if they have a folder with spaces in the name that this is a known problem.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Improved doesn't mean fixed, but I can't say one way or the other as I do not own a Pocket Pro.

However, as you wanted a specific write-up, try this Robert:
  • Name your SD card (in Windows, right-click and select properties on the drive) "ROBERT B"
  • Create a folder on the SD card and main memory called "Bookmark Test"
  • Create a book file in those folders called "Bookmark Test.epub"

You now have spaces in the drive name, the folder, and the file. Save bookmarks within each of the files, leave those books, come back, and check that the bookmarks are still available and accurate.

This test shouldn't take more than 90 seconds and will either reveal the problem or mostly put to bed the rumors about spaces not working.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a pocket pro. If i press 6, it is suppose to bookmark right? but when i close a book that i have bookmarks, then open it again, press and hold 6, the bookmarks are gone! help.
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I found the bookmarking on the astak PP one of the most frustrating issues with the UI.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is possible that people don't know how to use the new bookmark ability which is not described in the manual. It is also possible that if they have a folder with spaces in the name that this is a known problem.

Dale

Dale is right. If your folder/subfolder has a space in the name, i.e.,

Firstname [space] Lastname

Bookmarks are flaky.

Rename with just a single word, i.e., Firstname_Lastname

I've only used single word names in my subfolders and have never had a bookmarking problem.

Good luck.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
This problem (spaces in folder names) is well known and has been explained before. I can't understand why Astak have not had it fixed before now.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
The Bookmark Bug is item #32 on the fixes and enhancements list.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgej View Post
I have a pocket pro. If i press 6, it is suppose to bookmark right? but when i close a book that i have bookmarks, then open it again, press and hold 6, the bookmarks are gone! help.
Actually you are supposed to hit one of the numbers between 1 and 5 and then hit (not hold) 6, it will save your bookmark to that number between 1 and 5. Holding 6 I believe also clears all bookmarks in the current eBook.
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
Actually you are supposed to hit one of the numbers between 1 and 5 and then hit (not hold) 6, it will save your bookmark to that number between 1 and 5. Holding 6 I believe also clears all bookmarks in the current eBook.
I thought that holding 6 showed all current bookmarks.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I thought that holding 6 showed all current bookmarks.
All depends on firmware level. see the EZReader FAQ page

And IRRC that is a Long Press, not a Hold.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
All depends on firmware level. see the EZReader FAQ page

And IRRC that is a Long Press, not a Hold.

argh - long press/hold/click - too complicated, not a good human interface
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
argh - long press/hold/click - too complicated, not a good human interface
Page turn: Short press
10 pages: Long press

With few buttons, designer had to get creative (and sometimes confusing).
"Tap3" in search requires way precise timing
My Cell is easier, but then it has more buttons.