Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
cian
Enthusiast
cian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Abby PDFTransformer Abby FineReader

Hi,
I've decided that I need to bite the bullet and buy an OCR package. Abby seems like the best, but given that PDF Transformer is cheaper is there any advantage to buying FineReader? All I care about is accurate OCR, ideally preserving formatting of the original text (I have a lot of academic books that I need to get off my shelves). Does anyone know if the OCR of PDFTransformer is identical to FineReader?
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Kellhus
Kellhus began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF Transformer is for... pdf files only.
Kellhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
cian
Enthusiast
cian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have no problem scanning books in and turning the scans into PDFs that made up of images of each page of the book/paper. However it seems, reading their advertising blurb, that PDF transformer can OCR PDFs. I was just wondering if the OCR engine was identical, and if there are problems with going down that route. There's quite a difference in price, plus PDF transformer has some other useful features (conversion into HTML/RTF).
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The OCR engine should be the same. The full version of FineReader allows manual zoning of the pages, search & correction of the OCR before output, and choice of several output formats (HTML, Text, RTF, PDF, Excel, more).

If the scans themselves are good, and mostly text-based (i.e. not magazine layouts with exotic fonts & text on top of photos) the differences should be minor.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote