View Full Version : Is there a way around the Sony software?

ccowie
11-16-2009, 07:21 AM
I used the sony software only for a couple of weeks after purchasing my 505 months ago. After discovering Calibre's superiority, I began using it exclusively for managing my books.

The problem is that on occaision when I plug my 505 in it automatically launches the Sony software, which immediately begins to try and sync. This has made a mess of things on occaision and required me to use the "fix disk" on my reader to stop it from being in endless format mode.

I still purchase books from the Sony ebook store and the only way I know to log in is through their software. Is there another way to purchase Sony ebooks? Can I disable the auto launch?

Katti's Cat
11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
There is a previous thread on this topic: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59703

So far I just stopped the sync and - lucky me - didn't have any problems with it.

katysax
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
You can avoid using the Sony Ebook reader software - I almost never use it - by using Calibre.

You can stop the autolaunch of the software either of two ways.

1. Run: MSCONFIG. Look for the sony reader software under "startup" and uncheck it.

2. Run: REGEDIT: Hkeylocalmachine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run/
Then delete the reference to the sony software.

Pangolin
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
And for apple? any ideas?
Thanks

pdarcy
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
There is a launchd entry that you need to disable. Do a google search for “launchd editor”. I don’t remember which one I used.