View Full Version : Etiquette Question

pdurrant
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I publish a few books. I've recently published one in ebook formats, including a very nice ePub format.

Id like to let people to take a look at the innards of the ePub to see how I've coded various things - svg full page graphics, embedded fonts, nice graphical drop caps and in-line pictures - without having to buy the book.

But since it is a commercial ePub, I can only upload a sample - say half the book.

I can't upload to the ePub eBook section, as that's for free, full books, not commercial samples.

Do we have an "ePub books I'm proud of creating" thread?

Where would be the best place to upload it so that people looking for good sample ePubs can find it (and possibly criticise the coding).

zelda_pinwheel
10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
i love your idea of "epub books i'm proud of creating" thread. :) why not start one ? you can create it here in this forum, it seems like a good place. although if you are looking for discussion about your code, one thread per book / sample might be better, i'm not sure. but why not start with the one you have and we'll see how it goes from there. :)

please remember also the epub code snippets thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46448) which is for sharing good (working, debugged) methods of getting specific layout effects (drop caps, wrapped images, etc.). all additions are welcome !

JSWolf
10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
The sample ePub from Smahshwords looks nice.

pdurrant
10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
The sample ePub from Smahshwords looks nice.

Thank you. It took a lot of tweaking to get their conversion routine to do a reasonable job. The hand-built one is a lot nicer. I must turn it into a sample and upload it hereabouts.

zelda_pinwheel
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you. It took a lot of tweaking to get their conversion routine to do a reasonable job. The hand-built one is a lot nicer. I must turn it into a sample and upload it hereabouts.

yes, please do. :) it is really beautiful and it would great to have it as an example.