View Full Version : Just ordered Pocket Pro!

jpt
10-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey--
I ordered a white Pocket Pro -- the black ones were out of stock -- earlier today. It'll be my first dedicated ebook reader. (Right now, I use a Nokia 770 and an OLPC).

Scheduled to get here next Wednesday, but that's assuming it really shipped today, and I'm not sure how that works...

-- J.P.

GA Russell
10-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Is that the second time they've been sold out of the black ones already?

jusmee
10-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey--
I ordered a white Pocket Pro -- the black ones were out of stock -- earlier today. It'll be my first dedicated ebook reader. (Right now, I use a Nokia 770 and an OLPC).

Scheduled to get here next Wednesday, but that's assuming it really shipped today, and I'm not sure how that works...

-- J.P.

I just did the same. Black, as you say, was out of stock. Luckily I prefer white on a computer device - so, like you, I chose white.

Mine will take a little longer as I am not in the US. Can't wait !! :)

luvshihtzu
10-24-2009, 05:33 AM
I just returned my black Astak Pocket Pro. It was the last black one on the 13th when I originally ordered. Will they send it out as refurbished, or will they use it to replace ones that are broken? Just wondering.

Javed
10-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Hey--

Congratulations on ordering your new Pocket Pro, Jpt! :thumbsup:

Javed
10-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Is that the second time they've been sold out of the black ones already?

Yes, it is at least the second time that the black ones have been sold out!
I have a black one myself. :cool:

jpt
10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Congratulations on ordering your new Pocket Pro, Jpt! :thumbsup:

Thanks. It's already pretty close -- already got across the country just today; it's a few states away.

*scampers around in circles, giggling*

... Ahem. Sorry... got a bit squirrelly there...

-- J.P.

bbqncigars
10-24-2009, 08:01 PM
J.P.: where did you order yours from? Just wondering, as I just ordered one from the EZreader site. Now to get a spare battery, and I'll be set.

jpt
10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
J.P.: where did you order yours from? Just wondering, as I just ordered one from the EZreader site. Now to get a spare battery, and I'll be set.

I got it from the EZ Reader site as well.

-- J.P.

bbqncigars
10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks. The batteries show as not available when you try to buy them, btw.

jpt
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
It's waiting for me at the campus mail center. I'm going to pick it up between classes.

YAY!

-- J.P.

jpt
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey--
I have it. It's awesome. I'm downloading the latest firmware. I'm definitely going to have to do some converting -- namely, I want everything in my favorite font, and I can't do that with .rtf files. Haven't tried any .html files yet.

-- J.P.

cvkemp
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Make sure to full charge it before trying to do a firmware update

Chuck

Robertb
10-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I just returned my black Astak Pocket Pro. It was the last black one on the 13th when I originally ordered. Will they send it out as refurbished, or will they use it to replace ones that are broken? Just wondering.

Dear luvshihtzu:

We do not sell refurbished units. If it is broken we will return it to the factory. If it is not broken we will use it as a display model at CES and other trade shows.

Robertb
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey--
I have it. It's awesome. I'm downloading the latest firmware. I'm definitely going to have to do some converting -- namely, I want everything in my favorite font, and I can't do that with .rtf files. Haven't tried any .html files yet.

-- J.P.

Dear jpt:

Good for you!! The Pocket PRO is a great first dedicated eBook Reader. It has far more formats than any other device, displays beautifully, and has Adobe Digital Editions with pdf reflow. The 8 level grey scale also does a great job on displaying illustrations. Try the MP3!! This has a great stereo sound system and takes a standard headphone jack.

Yes, do charge it fully before use. IF you are going to have any problems with a new eBook Reader most of it will be traced to low charge. Always remember that the battery charge gauge is just a general guide. They are not super-accurate. I recharge whenever it gets down a little below halfway.

DO go to the website: www.theEZreader.com and check the FAQ sheet. That is updated often and it is filled with helpful tips and ideas.

I do work for Astak and I welcome you to this forum and to being a Pocket PRO partner!!

Robertb
10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks. The batteries show as not available when you try to buy them, btw.

All countries have different laws on shipping batteries. We are researching now and hope to have the Internation-Ship batteries available soon.

All North American batteries ARE available now at: www.the EZreader.com. PLEASE ... let me know if you are having any problem with this and you are in North America.

jpt
10-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Make sure to full charge it before trying to do a firmware update

Chuck

It came almost entirely charged, and I charged it a bit and did a firmware update. It's fine.

-- J.P.

jpt
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Dear jpt:

Good for you!! The Pocket PRO is a great first dedicated eBook Reader. It has far more formats than any other device, displays beautifully, and has Adobe Digital Editions with pdf reflow. The 8 level grey scale also does a great job on displaying illustrations. Try the MP3!! This has a great stereo sound system and takes a standard headphone jack.

Yes, do charge it fully before use. IF you are going to have any problems with a new eBook Reader most of it will be traced to low charge. Always remember that the battery charge gauge is just a general guide. They are not super-accurate. I recharge whenever it gets down a little below halfway.

DO go to the website: www.theEZreader.com and check the FAQ sheet. That is updated often and it is filled with helpful tips and ideas.

I do work for Astak and I welcome you to this forum and to being a Pocket PRO partner!!

Thanks! I'm loving it so far. It came almost entirely charged (i.e. 3 or 4 gicks), and I've charged it a bit so far. I'm going to charge it fully tonight.

Also... about all the file formats... any chance of getting custom font support on more of them? I *love* the font Gentium... and part of why I bought an EZ Reader was the custom font support. Now, I don't mind having to convert to a different format, but it'd be nice if it worked with more formats.

Awesome ebook reader!

-- J.P.

wallcraft
10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Also... about all the file formats... any chance of getting custom font support on more of them? In principle, format-specific user-provided font support should be available for FB2, MOBI and ePub. I have not been able to get FB2 and MOBI to work (they do on the EZ Reader Basic). The FB2 font problem is on the EZ-Reader fixes and enhancements list (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56133), but not the MOBI font problem (even on the Basic fonts are finicky, see How to use user fonts in MOBI files (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_V3#How_to_use_user_fonts_in_MOBI_files)). For ePub, you have to produce your own custom ePubs but the font can be on the device rather than embedded in the ePub, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too! (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901)

jpt
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
In principle, format-specific user-provided font support should be available for FB2, MOBI and ePub. I have not been able to get FB2 and MOBI to work (they do on the EZ Reader Basic). The FB2 font problem is on the EZ-Reader fixes and enhancements list (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56133), but not the MOBI font problem (even on the Basic fonts are finicky, see How to use user fonts in MOBI files (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_V3#How_to_use_user_fonts_in_MOBI_files)). For ePub, you have to produce your own custom ePubs but the font can be on the device rather than embedded in the ePub, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too! (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901)

I was hoping for support in HTML and RTF files myself...

-- J.P.

wallcraft
10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I was hoping for support in HTML and RTF files myself. I tried a RTF, which did not use the selected font (from the main menu), and a HTML, which did use the selected font. In the case of RTF, I wonder if the problem is that the font is specified in the document. In HTML, did you want fonts specified in the document to work?

Robertb
10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I was hoping for support in HTML and RTF files myself...

-- J.P.

Dear JPT:

Wallcraft is a Moderator here on the forum and an incredible resource. He knows the most about fonts and what to do.

I am going to ask the factory about making it easier to change fonts on the Pocket PRO. It is easy on the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic; and I want to have it as easy on the Pocket PRO. I love Gentium also!!

wallcraft
10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Wallcraft is a Moderator here on the forum I'm not a moderator. Moderators have their names in green.

bbqncigars
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Robertb,
I still couldn't find the battery on the site with either FF or IE. How about a direct link? I'm currently in Minnesota for a few days, but would love to order a spare for my PP.

Edit: I just ordered one through the astak.com site. Dayum, shipping = $10!! I would have ordered a spare battery with my PP if they had been actually available two days earlier, just to save on shipping.

theducks
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not a moderator. Moderators have their names in green.

Wallcraft
:rofl:

jpt
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Dear JPT:

Wallcraft is a Moderator here on the forum and an incredible resource. He knows the most about fonts and what to do.

I am going to ask the factory about making it easier to change fonts on the Pocket PRO. It is easy on the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic; and I want to have it as easy on the Pocket PRO. I love Gentium also!!

Yeah... it's beautiful. Heck, I have my system fonts on Windows set in Gentium.
But yeah... I'd love it if there were an option to just override *all* the fonts with the user-selected one. (A minimum font size, especially for HTML files, and more font sizes are always appreciated.)

Also -- another quick question -- how do you change the volume on the TTS?

Thanks. I love the ebook reader.

-- J.P.

Robertb
10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah... it's beautiful. Heck, I have my system fonts on Windows set in Gentium.
But yeah... I'd love it if there were an option to just override *all* the fonts with the user-selected one. (A minimum font size, especially for HTML files, and more font sizes are always appreciated.)

Also -- another quick question -- how do you change the volume on the TTS?

Thanks. I love the ebook reader.

-- J.P.

Dear jpt:

Just got off the phone to China and our factory. A new firmware upgrade will be out next week. That will go up for free download on our website. It will make the scroll wheel more useful. For example, you can push IN on the "nib" on the scroll wheel and that will put it into volume control.

I am not sure what else will be on the firmware upgrade... but that is one of them!

jpt
10-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Dear jpt:

Just got off the phone to China and our factory. A new firmware upgrade will be out next week. That will go up for free download on our website. It will make the scroll wheel more useful. For example, you can push IN on the "nib" on the scroll wheel and that will put it into volume control.

I am not sure what else will be on the firmware upgrade... but that is one of them!

Nice.

Just so you know, your existence on this forum is probably half the reason I got one of these, rather than another rebranded Hanlin v5 -- the great community and feedback.

-- J.P.

Robertb
10-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not a moderator. Moderators have their names in green.

I am writing this in green as you ought to be a moderator. You know SO much about all of this. I am absolutely in your debt!!

Robertb
10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Nice.

Just so you know, your existence on this forum is probably half the reason I got one of these, rather than another rebranded Hanlin v5 -- the great community and feedback.

-- J.P.

Dear J.P. :

Thank you. I also feel that what we WANT this Astak Forum to be is a comfortable and supported place. Astak cannot ever compete with Sony and Kindle on advertising. We CAN and will compete on the best product. But what makes us unique I think is we do listen and we do interact!!

wallcraft
10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I am writing this in green as you ought to be a moderator. Please don't embarrass me with this kind of nonsense. The question of who is a moderator is for the forum management to decide. It isn't at all like what sub-forums to include, where member input is important.

theducks
10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I am writing this in green as you ought to be a moderator. You know SO much about all of this. I am absolutely in your debt!!

I second the nomination (if that counts). Wallcraft has been very helpful an a great example. :thanks: