View Full Version : Screensaver Hack for International K2?

Winston
10-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Hello All,
I just upgraded to a K2 International from the first K2. I loved the screensaver hack on my old Kindle; why this functionality is not provided to begin with is beyond me. The Version 4 hack does not work on the new International K2 (and neither does the modified DX hack). I am hoping one of the brilliant and generous programmers out there will work their magic and perhaps modify the new DX hack for the K2 International? Huge thanks in advance for your kind help in this regard.

Winston

jyavenard
10-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Hello All,
I just upgraded to a K2 International from the first K2. I loved the screensaver hack on my old Kindle; why this functionality is not provided to begin with is beyond me. The Version 4 hack does not work on the new International K2 (and neither does the modified DX hack). I am hoping one of the brilliant and generous programmers out there will work their magic and perhaps modify the new DX hack for the K2 International? Huge thanks in advance for your kind help in this regard.

Winston

Hi.

I updated the program to create update package for the Kindle 2 international ; but somehow the installationg script fail to run properly..

Not sure why..

Blog Kindle
10-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I have the same problem with Unicode Font hack.

It fails in the same way as when I tried to unbrick my US K2 by installing patches from recovery mode. It will recognize the patch, the progress bar would move a little and then the install fails before anything in the script ever executes.

Worst case scenario is that Amazon started digitally signing the updates. In this case it may be impossible to bypass without at least opneing the case and attaching a serial console. I hope it's not true

jyavenard
10-23-2009, 01:27 AM
I have the same problem with Unicode Font hack.

It fails in the same way as when I tried to unbrick my US K2 by installing patches from recovery mode. It will recognize the patch, the progress bar would move a little and then the install fails before anything in the script ever executes.

Worst case scenario is that Amazon started digitally signing the updates. In this case it may be impossible to bypass without at least opneing the case and attaching a serial console. I hope it's not true

Mine shipped with firmware 2.2.1 ; seems that some got 2.2.

Hopefully getting our hand on the firmware binary will provide some information with what's different...

Winston
10-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Thank you both so much for trying!

Blog Kindle
10-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Yep. Mine is 2.2
Yes - having a binary would definitely help. If someone would get a hold on one - please let me know by all means.

jyavenard
10-24-2009, 06:59 AM
All right...

Using ;debugOn and ;dumpMessages ; I looked at what was going on:

091024:105149 EXT3 FS on mmcblk0p1, internal journal
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:def:processing update /mnt/us/update_test-k2i.bin
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:def:version is "FC02"
091024:105150 system: I _otaupexec:def:update image checksum OK
091024:105150 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature does not exist for "install.sh"
091024:105150 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature verification failed

So either by signature it means the signature found in the .dat file and the calculation has changed ; or packages are actually signed from now on , killing user updated...

millin
10-24-2009, 10:52 AM
That seems too...

Maybe, from now on, the only way to patch the kindle is via the seria terminal with adding small wires from its back to get the serial port.... ?

...at least it's not so difficult to do such modification.

Blog Kindle
10-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that the same kind of check was done in previous versions of Kindle when installing recovery mode updates. So someone could peek into recovery mode image and take a look at the scripts that process the update.
In the past I was able to dump portions of flash block device to user-accessible partition using hand made updates. Unfortunately my knowledge of linux file systems and disk partitions is not strong enough find that image and get specific files from it.

Winston
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
I checked and the software running on my iKindle is 2.2. I'd forgotten how much I dislike looking at pictures of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Why would a company so savvy about so many things, make it so difficult to make a Kindle experience more customized and personal?

jyavenard
10-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Hi

All right..

The signature is rather trivial ; it just looks for a .sig file containing a sha256 signature ...

It tests using keys found in /etc/uks ; so it's just a matter of adding our own signature key there and creating the proper .sig file...

Edit: Ok.
I've created an image that installs a new RSA key to the kindle.
I'm just finishing testing of a new packager that will create the signature file automatically..

Will be sharing it soon ...

Jean-Yves

millin
10-30-2009, 03:38 AM
Hey, jyavenard!

That sounds great, you are the hero... :)

Winston
10-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Outstanding! Can't thank Jean-Yves enough and everyone else who has been working on this! This is great news, let's hope it pans out.

Thanks again!

Unconnected
10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Please share soon, will this enable us to get rid of jane austen from the screensaver.

jyavenard
10-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Please share soon, will this enable us to get rid of jane austen from the screensaver.

I've posted how already..

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60856

I made the screen saver hack for the Kindle 2 International, but after checking it didn't work.

I had a closer look, and the configuration of the screen saver has changed and the hack (version 0.4) won't work as is ...

Looking into it right now..

Jean-Yves

clarknova
10-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I had a closer look, and the configuration of the screen saver has changed and the hack (version 0.4) won't work as is ...
Yeah, it changed with the release of the DX. The DX hack will likley work if you change the screen saver directory location, since the DX points to the 824x1200 files, and the K2-int would need to point to the 600x800 files.

jyavenard
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, it changed with the release of the DX. The DX hack will likley work if you change the screen saver directory location, since the DX points to the 824x1200 files, and the K2-int would need to point to the 600x800 files.

Ah I didn't know there was a specific DX screen saver...

the images are in /opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 ; but I can't see anywhere in the scripts where it's referenced ; must be done in java directly.

I did have fun though and wrote directly to the eInk framebuffer, loading my own image...

I'll look at the DX version right away

jyavenard
10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Here it is..

Update:
Now, do not require any pre-installation. Will work as is...

If you have installed the version earlier, there's no need to upgrade again..

The file is now a gzipped tar, instead of a ZIP

Winston
10-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much intrepid Jean-Yves! I'm thrilled to have my iKindle working with my own screens. You are a total genius! Thanks beyond words.

Winston
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
The iKindle seems to prefer gifs to jpegs or pngs. If you are a Mac user make sure you don't have any spaces in your title. Use an underscore instead of a space for the .gifs

Hack work perfectly! Bravo Jean-Yves!

daffy4u
10-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Here it is..

Remember that you *must* install the update
update_freekindle-k2i.bin

as described here
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60856

I'll add pointer to this post and script in the Visual Kindle Guide this weekend. Thanks for the hard work!

Edit: If anyone is able to grab screen shots from your computer and Kindle (alt+shift+g on the Kindle) of the installation of this hack (like those seen in Visual Guide for the U.S. version) it would be much appreciated. Some of us (pointing directly at myself) find it easier to follow instructions with pictures. Thanks!

Pushka
10-31-2009, 02:23 AM
I just cant get this to work. I have so many files downloaded onto the kindle now, none of them work, yet I follow the instructions to a T. Sigh.

Maybe I will try it on a different PC that has very few programmes.

Pushka
10-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Today I tried this process again on a brand new laptop which had no media files or programmes, other than those pre-installed through Windows. And :eek: the process worked like a dream. Which means that somehow, the many programmes that I had previously installed on my own laptop had somehow corrupted the files that I was trying to copy onto the kindle. Perhaps others might find this a help. When the .bin files were opened on my old laptop, their icons were changed to make them look like files belonging to other programmes.

So, jyavenard, thankyou to you for your hack, and I am also pleased to know that there was nothing that I was doing wrong, it was just that the programmes I had on my laptop were causing issues. Which is what I thought was happening anyway. And why I asked that question in the other thread.

And I am so pleased to get rid of those terrible dead people!

Winston
11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Just installed the new 2.3 software. It would not install until I ran the handy uninstall hack thoughtfully included in Jean Yves package. Now I am hoping to reinstall the hack and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. . .

Winston
11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Worked perfectly! The hack is seamless with Kindle Software 2.3. Thanks again Jean Yves!