View Full Version : epub

naveed_csuet
10-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Kindly tell me how to read epub file in WinCE??????

AnemicOak
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
There's supposed to be a version of Zulu Reader that's for some versions of CE according to this thread...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32551

The website is www.zuluexpress.com but appears down right now. The developer is also a member here, username ondabeach.

Zulu is for non-DRM'd ePubs. If you're looking for a way to read DRM'd ePubs you can't AFAIK. You'd have to remove the DRM.

wallcraft
10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
The other way is to use MS Reader, or eReader or MobiPocket Reader or uBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html) after converting the ePub off-line using Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Reader.

See DRAFT - A Beginner's Guide to WinCE Ebook Reader Software (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32551)

naveed_csuet
10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I have checked this link, but it is for reading HTML, pdf files and some others.

I want to read epub files in WinCE?
Is there any built in tool to read epub files?

naveed_csuet
10-20-2009, 12:10 AM
if there is not any built in reader for epub files for WinCE,
Then how I can do it????

Thanks for your kind considerations...

wallcraft
10-20-2009, 12:18 AM
if there is not any built in reader for epub files for WinCE,
Then how I can do it? Calibre (has its own forum here) can convert between a wide range of ebook formats. If your ePubs have DRM (encryption) you will have to first remove the DRM. Once you have a DRM-free ePub, Calibre can convert it to an ebook format you have a reader for.

naveed_csuet
10-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Kindly Sir, how I can know DRM (encryption) in ePub format and how to remove it, because I am newly assigned worked on ePub format
????

Elfwreck
10-20-2009, 02:17 AM
If you purchased the ePub files using the Adobe Digital Editions program, they are probably encrypted. In order to remove the DRM to read them with another program, you'll need to find the Adobe Inept script to use with Python program. (It's a complicated process, and the forum rules require that we not go into detail about it.)

However, if you can read the ePub files on a program like Stanza, or with Calibre (which are both free downloads that work for Windows, but don't run on WinCE), then you can use a program to convert the ePub into a .lit file.

I believe Mobipocket software and Calibre will both convert to .mobi format, which can be read on WinCE (http://www.ebookmall.com/windowsce/) with Mobipocket's reader. (You could also convert to Palm EReader, but there's no reason to do so.)

naveed_csuet
10-20-2009, 03:25 AM
I have checked by converting ePub files to others formats like HTML, txt, lit, pdf, pdb by ABC Amber ePub Converter. Then opened this file in WinCE device.

But the problem is this I want to open ePub files directly in WinCE device. Because if user put ePub files in Storage Card of WinCE device and he want to see it, he must not need to convert first to other formats than he will be able to see it in the device.
kindly understand the exact problem and suggest me well!
???

Grauheim
10-20-2009, 03:34 AM
The solution has been explained above - strip the DRM, then use Zulu Express to read on your WinCE device. You'll have to be more explicit about what you didn't understand...

orion2001
10-20-2009, 03:54 AM
I have checked by converting ePub files to others formats like HTML, txt, lit, pdf, pdb by ABC Amber ePub Converter. Then opened this file in WinCE device.

But the problem is this I want to open ePub files directly in WinCE device. Because if user put ePub files in Storage Card of WinCE device and he want to see it, he must not need to convert first to other formats than he will be able to see it in the device.
kindly understand the exact problem and suggest me well!
???

naveed, Let me try to explain this in a simple manner:

1) There is no way to read DRM'd EPUBs directly in windows CE. You will have to strip the DRM first and then load it on the WinCE device.

2) If the Epub files are not DRM'd then you can use Zulureader software: http://www.zuluexpress.com/ZuluMobile.aspx
Install that and you should be able to read EPUB files (non DRM'd) without needing to do any conversions.

naveed_csuet
10-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks all of you, now I have got it...

ondabeach
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
ZuluReader will run on CE devices, there is a CAB download for CE on the site www.zuluexpress.com. Zulureader will only read DRM free epubs though. What device do you have? ZR was developed for small display devices, 640x480 or less but I have people testing it on large screen (1024x768) CE devices and I am working with them to make ZR suitable for all screen sizes. If you have any problems installing or using ZR you can email me at stevedales@gmail.com.

JSWolf
10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Firefox can't find the server at www.zuluexpress.com.

Bilbo1967
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Firefox can't find the server at www.zuluexpress.com.

My Firefox can.

JSWolf
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Is there any way to fix this issue with the DNS?

naveed_csuet
10-21-2009, 12:55 AM
can anyone send me setup of ineptkey.pyw and ineptepub.pyw?
Because they are not freely available on Google.

send me at naveed_csuet@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

wallcraft
10-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Because they are not freely available on Google. Try a Yahoo search.

naveed_csuet
10-21-2009, 01:12 AM
I also tried Yahoo search...

naveed_csuet
10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
can we edit ePub books by Zulu Reader to make changes in the ePub book if not then how?

Grauheim
10-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Sigil (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203) is an editor for epub books.

You can also edit them using a plain old text editor (which is my personal preference.) You first have to unzip the ebook file to reveal the various html, css and configuration files, and after the changes you have to zip it up again.

naveed_csuet
10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
I am editing ePub in PC but I want to edit ePub books in my WinCE Device,
is it possible???

naveed_csuet
10-21-2009, 06:41 AM
I need source code of Zulu Reader, because I have devices with different resolutions some times Zulu Reader is not working. So I want to make software like Zulu Reader to see ePub book with different resolutions WinCE devices.
???

Grauheim
10-21-2009, 06:43 AM
The short answer is yes, you can edit them manually on your Windows CE device (unzip, text edit, zip.) Whether this is practical or not depends on your application.

I don't think there's a Sigil port for Windows CE, but imagine that it would be possible to do one with some indeterminate amount of work.

I note that your EL1000 device does not have a keyboard, however, which I imagine could make it tricky to do substantial editing?

kennyc
10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
My Firefox can.

Yep, me too.

JSWolf
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Now I am able to access the site. No idea why I could not the other day.

kennyc
10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Sunspots.

JSWolf
10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Sunspots.
Or an issue with the DNS.

DaleDe
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I need source code of Zulu Reader, because I have devices with different resolutions some times Zulu Reader is not working. So I want to make software like Zulu Reader to see ePub book with different resolutions WinCE devices.
???

Why don't you just contact the author and have the bug fixed. He is very responsive. You don't need the source code.

Dale

naveed_csuet
10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Can anyone tell me the programming steps to read ePub books???

Thanks a lot

Grauheim
10-22-2009, 08:17 AM
There is an FAQ (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43230) in this forum which discusses the details of the ePub format.

If you want to see how to program with ePub, you could consider looking at the Calibre source. I'm not sure how Kovid has it licensed, though. You will need to be careful if you're embarking on a commercial project.