View Full Version : What is wrong with UPS?

griffonwing
09-29-2009, 07:06 AM
OK. So I packed up my PEZ and shipped the unit out on Friday via UPS. Here is the tracking info so far.

HARRISON, AR, US 09/25/2009 5:10 P.M. PICKUP SCAN
HARRISON, AR, US 09/25/2009 9:05 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
LITTLE ROCK, AR, US 09/27/2009 11:51 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LITTLE ROCK, AR, US 09/28/2009 2:57 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
LENEXA, KS, US 09/29/2009 3:02 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LENEXA, KS, US 09/29/2009 3:43 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

OK. So it shipped out 4 hours after drop off. Not bad.
Harrison to LR is about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic and roads, so the time there is fine.

However, it then shot west to Ft Smith and up to Kansas City, MO area, and it took a whole 24 hours to do it? I live 4 1/2 hours from the Lenexa area!

google map of the track progress (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Harrison,+AR&daddr=little+rock+arkansas+to:lenexa+kansas&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=35.484985,-92.68965&sspn=1.697408,2.963562&ie=UTF8&ll=36.253133,-94.21875&spn=6.722201,11.854248&z=7)

This is painful to watch.

Solicitous
09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
HAHA I think it is postage in general. I've been tracking my USPS shipped PP to here in Australia, and it has been cleared from customs about 36 hours ago. So either (a) it has been passed onto local Australia Post and USPS tracking doesn't update frequently, or (b) a special Border Security episode is being filmed around my Pocket Pro !!!

kennyc
09-29-2009, 07:48 AM
OK. So I packed up my PEZ and shipped the unit out on Friday via UPS. Here is the tracking info so far.

Harrison to LR is about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic and roads, so the time there is fine.

However, it then shot west to Ft Smith and up to Kansas City, MO area, and it took a whole 24 hours to do it? I live 4 1/2 hours from the Lenexa area!

google map of the track progress (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Harrison,+AR&daddr=little+rock+arkansas+to:lenexa+kansas&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=35.484985,-92.68965&sspn=1.697408,2.963562&ie=UTF8&ll=36.253133,-94.21875&spn=6.722201,11.854248&z=7)

If you shipped standard then yeah, it's slow because all the company focus/efforts are on the overnight, 2-day, etc.... I've even had packages delivered while they were still listed as in transit to the destination.

griffonwing
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
If you shipped standard then yeah, it's slow because all the company focus/efforts are on the overnight, 2-day, etc.... I've even had packages delivered while they were still listed as in transit to the destination.

Slow, i can accept. Virtual backtracking is altogether different.

3 Am Tuesday morning, and we are almost where we started Friday evening. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll get shipped on board a freight plane to San Jose. :D

Slite
09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Slow, i can accept. Virtual backtracking is altogether different.

3 Am Tuesday morning, and we are almost where we started Friday evening. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll get shipped on board a freight plane to San Jose. :D

via Iceland of course. Or possibly Portugal.

DaleDe
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM

It is like watching your luggage get lost. I think you should contact UPS. They clearly put it in the wrong truck.

Dale

AJ Starr
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Remember UPS does not work on weekends. You should check again this morning, it should have the Monday travel indicated.

AJ

theducks
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I have worked for UPS during peak season.
It is all about time windows. There is 2 small windows of chaos at any UPS Center. Outbound and Inbound :). The rest is Delivery.
Zones = Days of ground transit.
Only certain sorting locations (hubs) get to send packages to non-sorting locations.
Those big Gray trailers (not your local, brown package car) move packages between hubs and all but the remotest "centers" once a day or to another hub.
If you are foolish enough to send a "Next Day Air" to a neighbor, the package will probably go all the way to Atlanta and back.
The USPS does similar, you just don't get tracking detailed like FedEx and UPS do.

kennyc
09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
My new Pocket Pro is on the Fedex truck and out for delivery! Yeah!!

Morlac
09-29-2009, 11:03 AM

:thumbsup: congratulations! Just sent mine back yesterday, so the waiting has just begun for my replacement. Gotta pace myself!

May your new PP bring you much pleasure! :D

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
for me ups ground almost always takes 5 days, even if the distance is short, and I am in a major citi.....
I sent mine back through USPS priority mail and it was there within 2 days.

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM

same here. I'll go home early and continue working from there to wait for the fedex guy to drop the package and run..... maybe I should prepare my camera to capture that :rofl:

kennyc
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
same here. I'll go home early and continue working from there to wait for the fedex guy to drop the package and run..... maybe I should prepare my camera to capture that :rofl:

We'll be standing by for pics.

:D

DixieGal
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
It's just weird, that's all there is to it. I ordered some silver this morning (down to $16/troy ounce, so jump on it before it goes back up!). Shipping is tons of options, but to FedEx it to my office where it will be mis-delivered was $1.50 more than USPS to my house in the 'burbs. And it will arrive at home more quickly. Makes no sense.

The most recent shipment was 3 wks ago. I decided to go with the "residential" FedEx. I followed the tracking while it circled the US a couple of times, and then saw that it had been delivered and signed for by a "P. Mathewson." Who??? Took FedEx 3 days to find my package, which had been delivered to a bingo hall and signed for by a security guard there. I'm ALWAYS having trouble with them, and avoid them whenever possible. On the other hand, our UPS man is a gem, always delivers on time, even comes after hours if something needs a signature and he knows we are at work.

It also helps that his mom is one of my closest friends! :D

kennyc
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Always helps if you know someone in the business.....now about that silver....

kennyc
09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
You guys stay away from my front porch...tracking says it's been delivered!

Chiron
09-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Now, where did i put that stalking list? *rush to search* :rofl:

DixieGal
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
EXCITING!! Who amongst us will get there first?

DixieGal
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Always helps if you know someone in the business.....now about that silver....

For making jewelry. It takes a lot of silver to make a little ring or pendant.

EDIT: Just to brag a bit, but I sold a Uruguyan amethyst (12.5 carats, a big whopper) to a JEWELER at a corporate chain jewelry store in the mall last weekend! She collects gemstones and wanted it for herself. Sort of like selling ice to eskimoes?

kennyc
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
For making jewelry. It takes a lot of silver to make a little ring or pendant.

Gottcha. :) Just pulling your leg a bit. :thumbsup:

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
according to the tracking update, it was already delivered :eek:

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM

same here, I 'm running home now!:2thumbsup

kennyc
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
EXCITING!! Who amongst us will get there first?

Neener! Neener! I beat you!

My new Pocket Pro is plugged in and charging right now. :D

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
We'll be standing by for pics.

fedex delivered it at 3pm. I was planning on coming home at about 3:30 or so, since last time they got here after 5pm, but oh well....
It's now safe in my hands and best of all, it's not dead :thumbsup:

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
It's just weird, that's all there is to it. I ordered some silver this morning (down to $16/troy ounce, so jump on it before it goes back up!). Shipping is tons of options, but to FedEx it to my office where it will be mis-delivered was $1.50 more than USPS to my house in the 'burbs. And it will arrive at home more quickly. Makes no sense.

The most recent shipment was 3 wks ago. I decided to go with the "residential" FedEx. I followed the tracking while it circled the US a couple of times, and then saw that it had been delivered and signed for by a "P. Mathewson." Who??? Took FedEx 3 days to find my package, which had been delivered to a bingo hall and signed for by a security guard there. I'm ALWAYS having trouble with them, and avoid them whenever possible. On the other hand, our UPS man is a gem, always delivers on time, even comes after hours if something needs a signature and he knows we are at work.

where did you buy the silver?

edit:
I've bad bad experiences with both UPS and Fedex in the past, when I lived in apartments... now that I have a home and a porch, they leave everything in the porch, luckily nothing has gotten lost in my new home... unlike the wii and other stuff that "got lost" when living in apartments

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
This is funny.... I just got a UPS package the FEDEX way (drop it, ring the bell and run ) :rofl:

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Neener! Neener! I beat you!

My new Pocket Pro is plugged in and charging right now. :D

you beat me :(

mores
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Funny, I stumbled across this fine specimen of a UPS delivery professional:
http://www.break.com/index/ups-man-throws-package.html

What I don't understand: does UPS just dump your stuff on your doorstep? Is this normal? Or only in rural areas?

In Austria they can only deliver something when someone signs that they got the package - which is either you or a friendly neighbor.

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM

What I don't understand: does UPS just dump your stuff on your doorstep? Is this normal? Or only in rural areas?

In Austria they can only deliver something when someone signs that they got the package - which is either you or a friendly neighbor.

if you consider Dallas, Tx rural.....
when I lived in apartments, I had UPS guys throw stuff to the balcony :eek: and didn't even leave a message, so I found the packages days later :rofl:

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 06:19 PM

ohh, that's the problem, there's none of those here in the US ;)

j/k of course :)

mores
09-29-2009, 06:25 PM
So how would you prove you didn't get a package, when the UPS guy says he delivered it ... once he chucks it anywhere on your property, it's your business to make sure it doesn't get stolen?

Anyhow, I just think it's odd.

SDRebel
09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
So how would you prove you didn't get a package, when the UPS guy says he delivered it ... once he chucks it anywhere on your property, it's your business to make sure it doesn't get stolen?

Anyhow, I just think it's odd.

I think if it gets lost, it is their fault, specially if signature is required

kennyc
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
fedex delivered it at 3pm. I was planning on coming home at about 3:30 or so, since last time they got here after 5pm, but oh well....
It's now safe in my hands and best of all, it's not dead :thumbsup:

:2thumbsup

kennyc
09-29-2009, 07:21 PM

The shipper can require a signature or the delivery company does if the value of the delivery is big enough. But not required for a Pocket Pro from Astac.

Xerxes
09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, mines been stuck in one location too. :( It's on time, but it looks like they throttle there service. "This will teach our customer not to give us more money!"

SAN PABLO, CA, US
09/26/2009 3:59 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
09/26/2009 1:27 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SAN JOSE, CA, US
09/25/2009 10:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
09/25/2009 8:51 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US
09/25/2009 7:30 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

theducks
09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
The shipper can require a signature or the delivery company does if the value of the delivery is big enough. But not required for a Pocket Pro from Astac.
The shipper can require a signature anytime, UPS charges extra for the service to residences.
Fedex requires signatures unless a "Signature release" is on file OR you send "Signature Required".

Booze and Firearms require "Adult Signature Only" and can not be waived by any carrier.

UPS allow drivers to "Driver Release" in "safe residential areas" , where the package can be placed out of sight from passers by.

nomesque
09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
In Australia, 'registered' mail requires a signature. However, half the posties I've come across consider that dumping the parcel on a verandah and scrawling something on their own docket counts as a 'receiver signature', and it's faster. Sigh.

griffonwing
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
The first time I received my PEZ, I was home. I went outside and he hand-delivered it to me. However, I looked on the package.. "Signature Required", I turned back around and the truck was already pulling out.

UPdate!

LENEXA, KS, US 09/29/2009 3:43 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

So it stays in Lenexa for over 12 hours? This is getting preposterous.

Let me spin this Location Wheel and see where we'll end up next..... :D

theducks
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
What you want is UPS Sonic Air service.
They hand carry your package every step and it moves on aircraft and ground, NOW.
Oh! The fee is 5 to 6 figures :eek:

KS appears to be a Hub.

It is normal for Ground packages to be sorted all day, Full-up trailers are queued for drivers (and additional drivers are scheduled when the load grows past daily normal).
Drivers leave on a schedule. Un-loaders work on a schedule. Loaders work on a schedule.

griffonwing
09-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I know. LR is also a hub. I'm just trying to figure out why it had to go all the way down the LR, then back up past me to KS. The only think I can figure out is that since I live in AR, it had to go to an AR hub first. Then, for some unknown reason, it had to go to the KS hub for shipment to CA. All of this makes sense in a technical way, but it's still aggravating that after 3 days of actual travel, it only made it 5 hours away.

Toeknee
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I guess we have to place package shipping logistics right up there with making laws and sausages. You don't want to see how it's done.

Xerxes
09-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Well if I read mine tracker differently, they put it on a truck or something Friday night. I'll imagine it rolled out Monday and stayed on the road all Tuesday. Maybe tonight it'll make it some where new to scan where it's at now.

>_< MADNESS!
It'll be here tomorrow at least and that's all it matters.

gargoyle67
10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Well I've been watching the tracking of my parcel on UPS and saw that had cleared customs, So I thought maybe I'll get it today or tomorrow. I just checked the UPS site and the latest update had this:
"We attempted to deliver your item in GREAT BRITAIN at 2:15 PM on October 1, 2009."
Pretty strange as I've been in since 1 PM and two other people as well, I didn't get a (called but you were out) slip through the door either:blink:
I do hope they have the right address on the package :( I shall go down to my main post office and inquire tomorrow:chinscratch:

kennyc
10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Well I've been watching the tracking of my parcel on UPS and saw that had cleared customs, So I thought maybe I'll get it today or tomorrow. I just checked the UPS site and the latest update had this:
"We attempted to deliver your item in GREAT BRITAIN at 2:15 PM on October 1, 2009."
Pretty strange as I've been in since 1 PM and two other people as well, I didn't get a (called but you were out) slip through the door either:blink:
I do hope they have the right address on the package :( I shall go down to my main post office and inquire tomorrow:chinscratch:

Damn I hate that! It's happened to me at least twice when I had taken off work and was at home waiting!!!! Grrr!!

griffonwing
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I emailed Amy and had her change my shipping address to my work, so I'll receive it here. Then I'll just take the rest of the day off after that! :D

Xerxes
10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Mines just arrived home. At 8PM. >_<
I'm so mad. I'm mid shift and can't go home. Meaning I can't start charging it until 12:30am. Meaning I'll have to wait until 1PM to give a go.

Thanks a lot UPS. Is it common to go out in the truck 7am until 8pm? Seems fishy.

kennyc
10-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm so mad. I'm mid shift and can't go home. Meaning I can't start charging it until 12:30am. Meaning I'll have to wait until 1PM to give a go.

Thanks a lot UPS. Is it common to go out in the truck 7am until 8pm? Seems fishy.

It's happened here as well. :( I know they say to charge for 12 hours, but I really don't think that is necessary or makes a difference. I did not do that with mine.

theducks
10-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Very common in Metro areas these days. I guess they found a high rate of no one at home for required signatures during the day. ;)
3 attempts and the package goes back. A few years back, the "day" was 07:30 to 17:30 for most drivers
You CAN arrange for the package to be held at the UPS Center counter if home delivery is not possible. Bring ID :)

Xerxes
10-01-2009, 09:58 PM
It's happened here as well. :( I know they say to charge for 12 hours, but I really don't think that is necessary or makes a difference. I did not do that with mine.

Funny thing is I got that from the forums. I don't see the 12 hours rule anywhere. FAQ said fully charged. O_o

kennyc
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
The 12 hours is in the (skimpy) manual. :)

Xerxes
10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
The 12 hours is in the (skimpy) manual. :)

This is me questioning it...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=612647&postcount=139

DaleDe
10-02-2009, 01:06 AM
While you can certainly question the 12 hour number it will not do any harm to leave it on that long. (You could leave it plugged in all the time and it would not overcharge or damage the battery.) I do not believe that it is needed but what is needed is to make sure it is fully charged (which may take an hour or so past the indicator) and then discharge quite a bit to calibrate the gauge. This won't change the battery but will make the battery indicator more accurate.

Dale

Xerxes
10-02-2009, 01:23 AM
While you can certainly question the 12 hour number it will not do any harm to leave it on that long. (You could leave it plugged in all the time and it would not overcharge or damage the battery.) I do not believe that it is needed but what is needed is to make sure it is fully charged (which may take an hour or so past the indicator) and then discharge quite a bit to calibrate the gauge. This won't change the battery but will make the battery indicator more accurate.

Dale

Exactly, I mean it just seems like the normal 5-7 hours on the website for a full charge would be just as viable.

mores
10-02-2009, 03:28 AM
I usually use the "shipped" amount of energy left in the devices to really empty it out, then charge it for at least 12h. That's how you calibrate a LiPoly battery, subsequent charges need not be like that. Every once in a while one should let the battery run down completely and do the calibration again - says so in my MacBook Pro manual.

theducks
10-02-2009, 06:05 AM
I usually use the "shipped" amount of energy left in the devices to really empty it out, then charge it for at least 12h. That's how you calibrate a LiPoly battery, subsequent charges need not be like that. Every once in a while one should let the battery run down completely and do the calibration again - says so in my MacBook Pro manual.

The way these Legends-Myths-Rules get perpetuated, is someone writes it in their manual because they saw it in someone else s manual :smack:.
Then there is "Sales Hype" or "Wishful thinking" ;) that predicts optimistic life (page turns) or claims problems (cycle memory) no longer exist :D
Reading the "Battery University" article led me to believe that it was a balanced study, that was not "pushing" :cool: any particular technology.
The problem with using a "As Shipped", discharge to the end plan, is...The End Gauge is not or poorly calibrated :blink: (Why not ship with a typical number for a "fresh from stock" battery?) and let User recharges adjust for battery wear down.
I am *assuming* that disconnecting the battery, resets the gauge because of the admonition to not disconnect frequently.

mores
10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry, I fail to understand what you are telling me.
Please circle the correct answer:

*) No need to run the battery down
*) No need to run the battery down on the first charge only
*) Whatever you do, it won't matter, all batteries die.

kennyc
10-02-2009, 07:02 AM
None of the above.

If you want the battery gauge to be accurate you need to follow the procedures of

1) FULLY CHARGING the battery the first time. (this is why 12 hours -- just to be certain)
2) LET IT FULLY DISCHARGE before charging for several cycles. (this is to let the software learn where the discharge level is at)

If you plug in your reader every day or two anyway NONE of THIS Matters. The only reason for following this process is so the battery gauge reasonably matches the actual state of charge of the battery. It will not cause your battery to fail sooner or later and will not affect its capacity or duration.

theducks
10-02-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm sorry, I fail to understand what you are telling me.
Please circle the correct answer:

*) No need to run the battery down
*) No need to run the battery down on the first charge only
*) Whatever you do, it won't matter, all batteries die.
ALL of the above,
Except that I would say "Batteries run down".
"Die" is when they can not be recharged,
which can be caused by cycles (age) and OVER DISCHARGE << this is very bad, which is why I do NOT recommend discharging until it stops with an un-calibrated gauge.

80% of normal voltage is considered DISCHARGED. Below that may result in permanent damage to the battery pack. Do not leave a discharged battery this way. Self discharge will drop the voltage more and any further discharge may cause a internal cell (out of 3) to "flip polarity".

kennyc
10-02-2009, 07:35 AM
None of the above.

ALL of the above,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gargoyle67
10-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Well after much running about (sorting office, Main post office) with a print out of the UPS tracking details, I was told that they couldn't tell me anything without their (Royle Mail) tracking details:smack: So I get home to find a letter from (Parcel Force Worldwide) telling me their holding a parcel for me with duty on it :rolleyes: So I phoned them and asked why their was an attempt at delivery and how did I miss it with 3 people in the house ?.
He told me that theres a glitch in the system that says attempted delivery but really there wasn't one:dunce: (Nice system:angry:)
So I paid the duty on my card and my friend is going to pick the parcel up after he finishes work:2thumbsup I hope it all works ok after paying duty and parcel forces handling fee of 29.19:o

mores
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
It will not cause your battery to fail sooner or later and will not affect its capacity or duration.Well, if your device thinks there's only 10% left when the battery is still half-full, it will lead to incredibly short battery-life. I had this with my P900 cellphone.

kennyc
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, if your device thinks there's only 10% left when the battery is still half-full, it will lead to incredibly short battery-life. I had this with my P900 cellphone.

Then you probably had a bad battery or device. As noted above and around the internet Li-Ion batteries do no exhibit memory issues and overcharging etc. don't affect them in the same manner as older types of rechargables.

griffonwing
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
YAY! It was delivered to Astak! :D

Hopefully it will get back here faster than that.

kennyc
10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
YAY! It was delivered to Astak! :D

Hopefully it will get back here faster than that.

When there's nothing else, there is always hope!

:2thumbsup

mores
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Then you probably had a bad battery or device. As noted above and around the internet Li-Ion batteries do no exhibit memory issues and overcharging etc. don't affect them in the same manner as older types of rechargables. Actually, the battery was good for 2 years. Then, because I kept reading about the lack of a memory effect, I decided to charge my phone whenever I wanted to, and within days I lost most of the capacity (or whatever it's called) - I now got a day's worth of use when I was able to go for 3, sometimes 4 days.
Calibrating the battery was not the solution. It got better, but not to the durability I had before.

No, I didn't change my habits. Still read the same, surfed the same and phoned the same as before.

My brand new iPhone managed to drain its battery within 13 hours :smack: Hope it gets better!

bbusybookworm
10-06-2009, 12:05 AM

I Saw this same message when I got my Pocket Pro. Its a bit misleading

What it meant was that as there was a Customs Charge payable, it had been delivered to the Royal Mail / Parcel force Deport in town, who then sent me the Letter with the transaction code to pay the charge (Which can take a couple of days to arrive :().

I'll suggest using the USPS tracking code on the Parcelforce (http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/track?catId=7500082&pageId=trt_resultspage&pfHomeTrack=true&keyname=track_blank&_requestid=1412) site to track the status of the parcel. It should Probably Say something like Customs charging pending.

griffonwing
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
FedEx is SLOW on updating their tracking system. Last night, I checked and the last thing I saw was that it left RenoNV on the 3rd. Just this morning (6th), I checked, and it said it left SaltLakeCityUT on the 4th. I should have seen this yesterday morning. How can I see how close it is or track it when its so far behind? I may as well not have tracking at all.

At least I know it's still moving.

griffonwing
10-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Fedex FINALLY updated their tracking page. It's now in Memphis TN. It must have gone from North Salt Lake, UT, through KC and St Louis then down to Memphis, which basically just arc'd a half circle around my town.

It's not due here until tomorrow, but still.

According to this page (http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/network/distribution.html), STL and Memphis are hubs, and I am assuming that AR falls under the Memphis jurisdiction. That great for shipments from the east coast, but royally sucks for those from the west.

Oh well. 24 more hours to go.

Xerxes
10-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Fedex FINALLY updated their tracking page. It's now in Memphis TN. It must have gone from North Salt Lake, UT, through KC and St Louis then down to Memphis, which basically just arc'd a half circle around my town.

It's not due here until tomorrow, but still.

According to this page (http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/network/distribution.html), STL and Memphis are hubs, and I am assuming that AR falls under the Memphis jurisdiction. That great for shipments from the east coast, but royally sucks for those from the west.

Oh well. 24 more hours to go.

A week and some change for me. I finally got in the mail but FedEx said it won't make it to Astak until Monday. Unless Astak wanted to send it to me before they go it. :rofl:

The long wait shall begin.

griffonwing
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
The long wait will be worth it.

I bought a Western Digital media player on Monday, and it should be here by Friday. It'll hook up to a TV via SVideo or HDMI and will play media through it's 2 USB ports. I have over 500GB of TV shows and audio on a terrabyte drive, and now I don't have to worry about converting my PC to a media center.

I also don't have to worry about having to spent countless hours creating and encoding DVDs, which downsample during transcoding. YAY!

Xerxes
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
The long wait will be worth it.

I bought a Western Digital media player on Monday, and it should be here by Friday. It'll hook up to a TV via SVideo or HDMI and will play media through it's 2 USB ports. I have over 500GB of TV shows and audio on a terrabyte drive, and now I don't have to worry about converting my PC to a media center.

I also don't have to worry about having to spent countless hours creating and encoding DVDs, which downsample during transcoding. YAY!

I think thinking about getting one of those. My mom always whines about missing her shows and she's like years backlogged. I've slowly got her on hulu though.

bbusybookworm
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Congrats on the Purchase. I have one of those, and have to say i'm quiet happy with it. One of the nice touches was including the HDMI which a lot of companies don't which is very irritating.

I've got it hooked up to a 500GB Mybook full of Videos, Movies and Pictures and it does work quiet well. The interface is comparatively easy to use and pretty self explanatory, so you don't need to crack open a manual. I'll also suggest upgrading to the latest firmware as it add a little more stability and codec support.

The first time you hook it up, it does take an age to detect the drive and start indexing it.

Just keep in mind that while it does work with Avi / XVID files, its a little fussy about which ones It'll work with. I had to reencode a couple of seasons worth of shows as the were in a non supported codec. Better to standardise on somthing like MPEG4 which pretty much all devices nowadays seem to support.

I only wish it were networked so that I can add new content without having the physically go to the drive and load it on. But thats a Minor COmplaint, and something knew about when I got it.

bbusybookworm
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I think thinking about getting one of those. My mom always whines about missing her shows and she's like years backlogged. I've slowly got her on hulu though.

Hmm, if she's going to be using Hulu a lot, it might make more sense to get something like a Mac Mini or Mediacenter PC in a Small (Shuttle) case.

While more expensive, it will allow her to access Hulu using their Hulu Desktop which appears to provide a more remote friendlt experience then just using the site (Can't say for sure as am outside the US).

At the same time having a full PC will mean that all her other files will also be accessible. And using frontrow or MEdiacenter gives a simple easy to use interface.

Unfortunately Hulu currently (as far as I'm aware) does not allow standalone boxes like Popcorn Hour or Roku access, and actively works to block them. Otherwise they could provide an ideal solution.

griffonwing
10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
This thread has gotten off topic, but since I am the OP, I support this . Especially as I am the one who derailed it to begin with.

That said, I have never hulu'd. I've dabbled, but since it doesn't have every episode of the shows I like, it's not a viable alternative.

I have used a torrent program (eMule) to download 72-p and HD TV rips, so I will see occasional annoying in-show ads of other shows that pop up during broadcast. (does anyone else find those ads annoying and invasive, especially during a tense dramatic moment of a show?)

Anyway, Since i have not had television in over 5 years, I am making up for lost time. I have all 5 seasons of House, and catching up on 6 as it broadcasts. I love Fringe (Noble is incredible), Lie to Me (Roth is spectacular), Dollhouse is actually quite good, better than expected, Defying Gravity (hopefully they will complete the season and go for season 2), Eureka is very entertaining, as is Castle.

Not to mention shows from BBC (by BBC, I am referring to all British Television, not 'just' the BBC channel).

As for the WD box, I got a good deal on eBay, $70.99, free shipping. Brand new. 30 bucks off the new price, it's worth it to me. It'll save me on buying blank disks.

Nate the great
10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyway, Since i have not had television in over 5 years, I am making up for lost time. I have all 5 seasons of House, and catching up on 6 as it broadcasts. I love Fringe (Noble is incredible), Lie to Me (Roth is spectacular), Dollhouse is actually quite good, better than expected, Defying Gravity (hopefully they will complete the season and go for season 2), Eureka is very entertaining, as is Castle.

I'm really surprised at DG. Its stories actually manage to overcome the vast number of factual errors.

Nate the great
10-07-2009, 10:31 PM
@griffonwing

You should also watch flashforward (on Hulu). It's pretty good.

WT Sharpe
10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Being a grouch by nature (according to my wife, at least), I hate not to complain, but I've never had any problems with UPS or FedEx. Both have always delivered on the date they said they would, and both have always been diligent to update their tracking sites promptly.

The USPS is another matter. I've never seen the U.S. Post Office tracking site update an order. When they first get the package, their site will acknowledge that they have received the item, and after that, there are no more updates until the package eventually arrives at my doorstep.

Dagnabbit! I guess I did manage to get a complaint in after all!

Xerxes
10-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Being a grouch by nature (according to my wife, at least), I hate not to complain, but I've never had any problems with UPS or FedEx. Both have always delivered on the date they said they would, and both have always been diligent to update their tracking sites promptly.

The USPS is another matter. I've never seen the U.S. Post Office tracking site update an order. When they first get the package, their site will acknowledge that they have received the item, and after that, there are no more updates until the package eventually arrives at my doorstep.

Dagnabbit! I guess I did manage to get a complaint in after all!

USPS tracking is not tracking. At best it might be able to pass as a confirmation system. But I wouldn't even go that far. :(

griffonwing
10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I didn't get in until about 1pm. The office was closed. Apparently the secretary was sick, and the architect is out of town. Anyway, I waiting on the porch until 4:14 for the FedEx driver. He didn't show. Internet was down for a bit, so I couldnt check.

The internet came online then, and I looking on the tracking site. That idiot FedEx driver stopped by today at noon, but left NO notice so I had no clue. I am pissed.

Now I'll have FedEx coming by here tomorrow, and UPS coming by my house tomorrow. This is unbelievable. Waiting for one will most likely make me miss the other. Let's just hope the secretary makes it in.

cvkemp
10-08-2009, 05:49 PM
You could go by the Fedex center and pick it up I have done so many times.

Chuck :D

griffonwing
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
tried that. called them by they said there's no pickup location. they'll try again tomorrow, and once more on monday, after that, it'll be shipped back.

doncha love it.

griffonwing
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
It's delivered and charging. A quick cursory inspection shows NO creasing, NO warping, and the coating in excellent condition. I'm very satisfied, and the 2 weeks wait for shipping is well worth it to me.

Chiron
10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
It's delivered and charging. A quick cursory inspection shows NO creasing, NO warping, and the coating in excellent condition. I'm very satisfied, and the 2 weeks wait for shipping is well worth it to me.

Really nice griffon, glad to know you are enjoying your new PP without problems; i just finished creating a new boot/shutdown logo that i posted on "customizing your Pocket Pro" thread and im thinking how to make it even better :o

griffonwing
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Yes, I have read the links. Once I come up with a design, I'll use the program and custom fit my PEZ. Although this will be MUCH more useful if/when the firmware update allows for sleep-mode images :)