Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Author's name

On my Sony 505, I'm frustrated that some EPUBs index LAST NAME, FIRST NAME and others index FIRST NAME LAST NAME. When I want to find my books by Emile Zola, for example, do I look under E or under Z? Evidently, it depends on the way the EPUB creator set up the author's name. Right now, my library is simply a mess. Is there an easy way to fix this? (Something as simple as an ID3 tag editor?)

Why can't the "industry" agree on the library standard that authors are always files by their last name first?
Brooks
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
As long as it's not a DRM'd file, you can use calibre to edit the tags. If it is DRM'd, you can't.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Author names have a "file-as" attribute that should be set to "Last-name, First-name".

Regarding DRM'd files, I believe those have each file in the zip encrypted separately, that means you can probably extract the (encrypted) files as with any other epub. With some luck, only the book contents will be encrypted and not the OPF file (metadata). If this is the case, you can edit the metadata and re-zip the file.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The OPF file is not encrypted. So you can extract the OPF file, edit the metadata, put the OPF file back and be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Author names have a "file-as" attribute that should be set to "Last-name, First-name".

Regarding DRM'd files, I believe those have each file in the zip encrypted separately, that means you can probably extract the (encrypted) files as with any other epub. With some luck, only the book contents will be encrypted and not the OPF file (metadata). If this is the case, you can edit the metadata and re-zip the file.
Unless the names are Asian or Hungarian... in which case their natural form is "Last-name First-name" and the comma is arguably unnecessary (if not downright inappropriate... by virtue of suggesting the normal name order to be Western name order).

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Tanzaku
Enthusiast

I see where this is supposed to go and have been able to fix it in a couple of test files. Here is an example from a Feedbooks OPF file.

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Kuprin, Aleksandr">Aleksandr Kuprin</dc:creator>

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like using the "opf:file-as" this should be listed in my Sony as "Kuprin, Aleksandr" and be found under the K's, but it's not. When I look at the index Title by Author, this book is listed at the top, with the A's as "Aleksandr Kuprin".

Here is code from my Feedbooks version of Emma that does sorts correctly by last name:

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Austen, Jane">Austen, Jane</dc:creator>

Notice that the author is listed last name first in both instances. Seems like the "file-as" isn't kicking in like it should? Is this something with my Sony 505, or something else I should be looking for? I really don't want to have to change the code on my 700+ book library!

Hadrien?

Brooks Jensen
Editor, LensWork Publishing
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Tanzaku
Enthusiast

BTW, my Sony has firmware version 1.1.00.18040

Brooks
Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
I see where this is supposed to go and have been able to fix it in a couple of test files. Here is an example from a Feedbooks OPF file.

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Kuprin, Aleksandr">Aleksandr Kuprin</dc:creator>

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like using the "opf:file-as" this should be listed in my Sony as "Kuprin, Aleksandr" and be found under the K's, but it's not. When I look at the index Title by Author, this book is listed at the top, with the A's as "Aleksandr Kuprin".

Here is code from my Feedbooks version of Emma that does sorts correctly by last name:

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Austen, Jane">Austen, Jane</dc:creator>

Notice that the author is listed last name first in both instances. Seems like the "file-as" isn't kicking in like it should? Is this something with my Sony 505, or something else I should be looking for? I really don't want to have to change the code on my 700+ book library!

Hadrien?
I'm doing the right thing here, it's Sony's fault. opf:file-as was designed to properly sort books while dc:creator should be used whenever you display the author's name.
I'm not going to mess up my metadata.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Yes, I forgot to say that while there are provisions in the ePUB specification for the "file-as" attribute, it's another matter whether reading/library systems properly support it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Tanzaku
Enthusiast

Thanks, Hadrien. I knew you'd know what the scoop is. I guess I'll have to wait for an update from Sony -- and perhaps prod them a bit with this complaint, too!
Brooks