View Full Version : eBook Virgin Who Just Took The Plunge!

93terp
09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Hello everyone! As you can see from the title of my post, I'm an eBook virgin and I've been lurking these forums over the last few days trying to get smart about eBooks & the various readers available. I had myself convinced that the new Sony Pocket Edition (PRC-300) was the one for me until I read Matt Miller's recent review and I found this forum for the Astak EZReader Pro! I took the plunge & ordered the 5" white model on Wednesday & it's now on it's way to me! :2thumbsup

What changed my mind you ask? 2 things: the plethora of formats available to choose from that are compatible with the Astak and the fact that Astak includes a cover & AC adapter in their package, whereas these are not included with the Sony.

So, now that my eyes are bleeding from all the reading up I've been doing, I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

Thanks!
Lisa

cvkemp
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I do not load any books on the internal memory but I have a 2 gig sd card that I have close to 1000 ebooks and I still have close to a gig of free memory.

chuck

Robertb
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone! As you can see from the title of my post, I'm an eBook virgin and I've been lurking these forums over the last few days trying to get smart about eBooks & the various readers available. I had myself convinced that the new Sony Pocket Edition (PRC-300) was the one for me until I read Matt Miller's recent review and I found this forum for the Astak EZReader Pro! I took the plunge & ordered the 5" white model on Wednesday & it's now on it's way to me! :2thumbsup

What changed my mind you ask? 2 things: the plethora of formats available to choose from that are compatible with the Astak and the fact that Astak includes a cover & AC adapter in their package, whereas these are not included with the Sony.

So, now that my eyes are bleeding from all the reading up I've been doing, I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

Thanks!
Lisa

Dear Lisa:

I work for Astak and I only want to welcome you to the Astak Dedicated Forum and to your new device. Your EZ Reader Pocket PRO is a great device and you will appreciate it more as the years go by and you find it is still modern and reliable.

I was ecstatic that you noted Matthew Miller (The Mobile Gadgeteer). Matt is one of the finest and most personal reviewers and when he likes something he lets people know. He really likes the Pocket PRO.

You helped me a lot by saying what really brought you to the Pocket PRO... the multitude of formats and what comes in the box! That is important for me to know and I appreciate that!

We will be adding more formats as time goes on. We hope relatively soon to add Fictionwise eReader as a DRM format. These DRM formats can be somewhat large... so most of the people here load their music and eBooks onto the SD card and leave the internal memory for formats. You do not HAVE to do this... but it can help keep you organized. Plus, any time that you have an SD card in the Pocket PRO it will automatically open to the card and not the internal memory... saving you time.

Again, thank you and welcome. If you have any questions please read the FAQ sheet on www.theEZreader.com (under "support) or send an email to: support@astak.com

pdurrant
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

The Pocket Pro has 512MB flash memory. eBooks around very rarely more than 1MB, and usually less than 0.5MB.

So you should be able to get at least 500 book on the internal memory probably more like 1000.

On a 1GB SD Card you can fit twice as many.

Morlac
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks!
Lisa
Welcome! I am sure you've made some people (Robertb) very, very happy with your purchase and the reasons behind it! Now I just hope my preordered slate blue one arrives soon so I can say I had mine before you get yours! :p

[EDIT: Robertb responded before I could even finish my post!]

Your question can only be answered very approximately because "average" is not very likely to be a useful concept to describe how you, personally, will use the storage space. You have to factor in the actual book length, the format, and whether or not the file includes images. (I have epub files with images included that take 2+ mb compared to 600 kb or so w/o them.) I also have some slim books of poetry with no illustrations that take under 100 kb.

As a very rough guide, though, you can safely assume that 1 gb will hold several hundred long or > 1000 "typical" novels quite comfortably.

To work through a real-world example -- a "typical" sci-fi novel (1633, by Eric Flint and David Weber)takes up wildly different amounts of space depending on the format you prefer to use.

Paper length -- according to Amazon (don't have my printed copy handy), it's a 688 page paperback. Beyond a few simple line-art maps, it has no particular illustrations.

According to my Baen downloaded file sizes on my particular PC, this book takes:

732 kb in RB
856 kb in LIT
940 kb in PRC
954 kb in epub
3,506 kb in RTF

93terp
09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks to all for the info & recommendations! I'm now leaning towards getting a 2GB SD card & will just load/unload eBooks from that.

One more question! For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?

DixieGal
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Congrats Lisa! You made an excellent choice, and I'm sure you will have many years of happy reading with it.

Buy books? What's that? There are soooo many free ebooks out there, especially if you like romance, politics, or scifi. I've got some links below in my signature section.

93terp
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Congrats Lisa! You made an excellent choice, and I'm sure you will have many years of happy reading with it.

Buy books? What's that? There are soooo many free ebooks out there, especially if you like romance, politics, or scifi. I've got some links below in my signature section.

:thanks:

Thanks DixieGal - I'll give those links a try!

Chiron
09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
:thanks:

Thanks DixieGal - I'll give those links a try!

Dont forget that those new shiny PP get a free SD card (256 Mb or 1 GB) loaded with free ebooks :chinscratch:

Morlac
09-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Just to add a slightly dissenting opinion on the "stick with free" idea: If you find an author or publisher you like, please consider supporting them and "voting with your wallet" by actually purchasing some of their non-free content. It helps keep them in business and shows the marketplace the direction you want things to move. Without that support, they may not be able to continue bringing out more of the content you like!

(And just to keep things Astak-related ;) I will note that thinking is one of the factors in my own thinking in purchasing a Pocket Pro. They are doing things I approve of -- like wide format support and listening to the users -- so why not support that?)

wallcraft
09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro? Only Adobe lending library ebooks work on the Pocket Pro. Most libraries have more Adobe than MOBI ebooks, but you may have found one that only does MOBI. See Wiki: EBook Lending Libraries (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries) for more information. Note in particular "Finding Libraries" which links to OverDrive search (OverDrive supplies most library ebook collections in the US).

For ePub ebooks, I recommend Books on Board (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.html) in the US and WHSmith (http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/) in the UK. The Pocket Pro can also read Adobe PDF ebooks (sometimes called Adobe Digital Editions ebooks, or even just Adobe ebooks), but get the Adobe ePub version if it is available because ePub generally displays better than PDF.

frozennorth
09-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?
Library books usually have drm. Pocket Pro only supports non drm Mobi. This is because Amazon doesn't allow anybody who uses drm mobi to also have another drm format on the same device.

You could always remove the drm as long as you only keep it for your own use.

Robertb
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks to all for the info & recommendations! I'm now leaning towards getting a 2GB SD card & will just load/unload eBooks from that.

One more question! For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?

Dear Lisa:

Books On Board has more Adobe Digital Editions eBooks than anyone I know. They would be perfect as they are friendly and growing at a rate of 3,000 ADE eBooks a month!!! Powell's Books is also a great ADE source!

We do list links for free eBooks on our website: www.theEZreader.com

Also, everybody on here is wonderful, but pay particular attention to Wallcraft! He is a Moderator and he really knows what he is saying. Wallcraft posts are always insightful and helpful. I think we all look up to him!

93terp
09-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Just to add a slightly dissenting opinion on the "stick with free" idea: If you find an author or publisher you like, please consider supporting them and "voting with your wallet" by actually purchasing some of their non-free content. It helps keep them in business and shows the marketplace the direction you want things to move. Without that support, they may not be able to continue bringing out more of the content you like!

(And just to keep things Astak-related ;) I will note that thinking is one of the factors in my own thinking in purchasing a Pocket Pro. They are doing things I approve of -- like wide format support and listening to the users -- so why not support that?)

I agree! I have no problem supporting writers that whose work I enjoy, both fiction & non-fiction! My political collection is quickly growing & getting ready to overtake my "mindless entertainment" novels!

I have found that the only eBook freebies I've downloaded for my iPhone are those that are in the public domain (i.e. classics like H. Rider Haggard & Jules Verne), but I don't really like the iPhone for book reading - it's just a tad too small for me. Otherwise, I love it! :2thumbsup

93terp
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Only Adobe lending library ebooks work on the Pocket Pro. Most libraries have more Adobe than MOBI ebooks, but you may have found one that only does MOBI. See Wiki: EBook Lending Libraries (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries) for more information. Note in particular "Finding Libraries" which links to OverDrive search (OverDrive supplies most library ebook collections in the US).

For ePub ebooks, I recommend Books on Board (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.html) in the US and WHSmith (http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/) in the UK. The Pocket Pro can also read Adobe PDF ebooks (sometimes called Adobe Digital Editions ebooks, or even just Adobe ebooks), but get the Adobe ePub version if it is available because ePub generally displays better than PDF.

Well go figure! I live in an area where the public library system only uses the MOBI format. Just my luck!

RichyRich
09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I believe the SD card only came with preorders. And you found the right place for good community support and with an active Astak rep.

93terp
09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
thanks to both Wallcraft & RobertB for the BooksOnBoard recommendation - I had found them & several others on the EZReader site!

93terp
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I believe the SD card only came with preorders. And you found the right place for good community support and with an active Astak rep.

The support issue jumped out at me immediately from the time I spent lurking here. That also played a big part in my decision to go with Astak over Sony!

wallcraft
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I live in an area where the public library system only uses the MOBI format. Sometimes it is possible to sign up for other libraries in your region.

MOBI lending library ebooks have DRM (encryption). It is possible to remove the DRM, and the Pocket Pro can read DRM-free MOBI ebooks. However, even if you delete the DRM-free version after reading it, stripping DRM from a library ebook may be illegal. It does not seem morally wrong, though, providing you delete the ebook once the lending period has expired.

AnemicOak
09-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I do not load any books on the internal memory but I have a 2 gig sd card that I have close to 1000 ebooks and I still have close to a gig of free memory.

chuck

Do you notice a performance difference? I know on the Sony it just plain works better if the books are on the internal memory.

cvkemp
09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I am not seen any performance difference. I have had ebooks on the internal memory. But I do not anymore for I take out the sd card to add my books. It is much faster than using the usb cable to add ebooks

Chuck

tmgplc
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Hello, I too had thought about the new Sony 5" reader, but I have a lot of books in prc (MOBI) format. I got my EZ Reader Pro about 1 week ago and absolutely love it! It can handle any format I have been able to throw at it. It is quick and responsive, comes with everything you need in the box and just seems to work. I highly recommend this ereader and will tell everyone I know to get the Astak over Sony or Kindle. Thanks

Robertb
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Hello, I too had thought about the new Sony 5" reader, but I have a lot of books in prc (MOBI) format. I got my EZ Reader Pro about 1 week ago and absolutely love it! It can handle any format I have been able to throw at it. It is quick and responsive, comes with everything you need in the box and just seems to work. I highly recommend this ereader and will tell everyone I know to get the Astak over Sony or Kindle. Thanks

Dear tmgplc:

Thank you so much!! I am SO happy that you are pleased and took the time to post!! We will keep trying to get it even better!

DixieGal
09-11-2009, 06:28 PM

Me too, even though I love my 505 more every day. Robertb's stuff was made by ebook lovers for ebook lovers, and is not just as another item in a vast product line.

93terp
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM

I am eagerly waiting delivery of mine next week (Tuesday according to my FedEx shipping info)! Thanks for your observations on your EZ Reader - I will post mine next week! Can't wait! :2thumbsup

93terp
09-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Sometimes it is possible to sign up for other libraries in your region.

MOBI lending library ebooks have DRM (encryption). It is possible to remove the DRM, and the Pocket Pro can read DRM-free MOBI ebooks. However, even if you delete the DRM-free version after reading it, stripping DRM from a library ebook may be illegal. It does not seem morally wrong, though, providing you delete the ebook once the lending period has expired.

You know, right after I posted that message I realized I was looking at Arlington County (VA) instead of Fairfax County (VA)! My local library system (City of Alexandria) does not offer eBooks but we have reciprocity with just about every locality in northern Virginia - including DC & Maryland. Luckily, Fairax County offer the Adobe ADE option, but they don't seem to offer the books that I want to read in my Amazon Wishlist :(

kanguro
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
This is my first e-ink reader too. It arrived to Europe in a week. It has been a sensation at work, where all the people liked it. In fact one other person ordered one right away.
I must say that I'm very pleased with it so far. The things I most value are the format diversity, the ratio quality/price, the elegance of the device (cover included) and the people at this forum, that adds a welcome plus to the device. :)

DaleDe
09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Library books usually have drm. Pocket Pro only supports non drm Mobi. This is because Amazon doesn't allow anybody who uses drm mobi to also have another drm format on the same device.

You could always remove the drm as long as you only keep it for your own use.

Library books have mostly PDF and some have ePUB as well as Mobi. Yes, they have DRM but EZ Reader supports DRM on PDF and ePUB so no breaking of DRM is required. If you break DRM and keep a library book it is tantamount to stealing a library book. YMMV

Dale

Robertb
09-11-2009, 09:13 PM
This is my first e-ink reader too. It arrived to Europe in a week. It has been a sensation at work, where all the people liked it. In fact one other person ordered one right away.
I must say that I'm very pleased with it so far. The things I most value are the format diversity, the ratio quality/price, the elegance of the device (cover included) and the people at this forum, that adds a welcome plus to the device. :)

Dear kanguro:

Yes, I do not think enough can be said about the great people of this forum. These people helped pick the colors, made sure it got a matte finish, and voiced things they wanted remedied (such as Hyperlinks and Better Bookmarking, and font sizes, and a lot more).

They also sat thru a lengthy pre-order wait and rarely did much more then say "I cannot wait". There were no gripes, no nasty posts, just patience.

That is why we ordered four extra-large pizzas and are working late into the night! We all feel their patience needs to be rewarded with shipping as fast as we can.

Right now we are ahead of schedule and Walter has everybody moving like a well-oiled machine.

I think we need a big "WOOT" Toot for the people who made this really possible... the forum members and the moderators!!

GA Russell
09-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Woot!

superstitious
09-11-2009, 09:36 PM
93terp, what kind of books are you reading? I found a lot of book at echapterone.com which is a partner ebook store of the EZ Reader. I found a lot of books I want to read there for cheaper than any other stores. It seems to have almost every book I want to read on there. I read a whole bunch of young adult novels. You can still be young at heart right? lol :D

luisfe
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I have also just bought one the other day. My first e-reader also. The reason to choose this one is that I think that has the best relation price-specifications. I think that the biggest problem for customers is that it is very hard to get one of these devices to touch. Videos and photos over the internet are just not the same. I do not really think that it can be as reading on paper. (I have just never seen e-ink so, please, be indulgent). So I do not want to expend $400-$600 on something I am not very confident.

I was going for a prs-600, freehand annotation would be great to help at job. Until I realized that a 6'' screen would not be the best decission if I really use it to work. Also I have seen many complains about the screen quality, I think I prefer a better screen. So I forgot that and went for one for enjoyment.

Among the rest options, I think that the pocket pro is just the best reader out there on its range, many formats, openess of firmware and everybody that I know that has a Jinkle product is happy with it.

I am very happy to hear that it has search capabilities now. I think they are a must.

Lets wait until I get it to see it with my own eyes.

93terp
09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
93terp, what kind of books are you reading? I found a lot of book at echapterone.com which is a partner ebook store of the EZ Reader. I found a lot of books I want to read there for cheaper than any other stores. It seems to have almost every book I want to read on there. I read a whole bunch of young adult novels. You can still be young at heart right? lol :D

For non-fiction I mostly read political books and for fiction I tend to read mostly mindless novels - Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Sophie Kinsella, etc....I do so much intensive reading for my job that when I read a novel I want something with a decent story line that I can easily follow! Shallow - yes, but to each her own, right? :rofl:

Thanks for the info on echapterone.com - I'll check it out!

superstitious
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
You mean Dan Brown is mindless? Dang, I thought I was all intellectual reading his book. :P I feel ya about reading mindless novels. There is a reason why I read a lot of young adult novels. lol :) I too have to read a bunch for work. I love Sophie Kinsella. Read all her shopaholic books and a couple of other ones.

kennyc
09-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Wonderful and welcome. I've re-entered the Ebook/epublishing world recently myself - I got the Sony 505 about two weeks ago and have the 5" pocket pro (black) on the way. :)

Tons of free books out there at Project Guttenberg here on MR and from Google books ...

You can also check out books from your local library in digital format it they offer that service!

frozennorth
09-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Library books have mostly PDF and some have ePUB as well as Mobi. Yes, they have DRM but EZ Reader supports DRM on PDF and ePUB so no breaking of DRM is required. If you break DRM and keep a library book it is tantamount to stealing a library book. YMMV

Dale

I was referring to the OP whose library at this point only carries mobi. I think as long as you delete the book after you read it there is no harm in breaking the drm.

DaleDe
09-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I was referring to the OP whose library at this point only carries mobi. I think as long as you delete the book after you read it there is no harm in breaking the drm.

I would agree. The original suggestion was to keep the book.

Dale

kennyc
09-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Ah right, I was thinking about Epub, but true about mobi drm...

Sometimes it is possible to sign up for other libraries in your region.

kennyc
09-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Dear tmgplc:

Thank you so much!! I am SO happy that you are pleased and took the time to post!! We will keep trying to get it even better!

Robert, as mentioned above with the Mobi DRM -- is support for that in the future?

kennyc
09-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Woot!
That wasn't very big.....

WOOT

:D

Dr. Drib
09-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Dear Lisa:

Books On Board has more Adobe Digital Editions eBooks than anyone I know. They would be perfect as they are friendly and growing at a rate of 3,000 ADE eBooks a month!!! Powell's Books is also a great ADE source!

We do list links for free eBooks on our website: www.theEZreader.com

Also, everybody on here is wonderful, but pay particular attention to Wallcraft! He is a Moderator and he really knows what he is saying. Wallcraft posts are always insightful and helpful. I think we all look up to him!

There has been no announcement that Wallcraft is a Moderator. He is NOT a Moderator.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)

93terp
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
There is a reason why I read a lot of young adult novels. lol :) I too have to read a bunch for work. I love Sophie Kinsella. Read all her shopaholic books and a couple of other ones.

I loved the Harry Potter series & I'm going to dive into the Twilight series soon! My least favorite Sophie Kinsella book was "Remember Me". I hear that her new one, "Twenties Girl" (or something like that) is really good.

DaleDe
09-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Robert, as mentioned above with the Mobi DRM -- is support for that in the future?

As Robert mentioned, you cannot have Mobi DRM with any other DRM present on the system. They require an exclusive agreement. It is not likely that Pocket Pro will ever use mobi drm, I suspect, however the original EZ Reader Basic can use mobi DRM but flashing the firmware with the January copy of the firmware. Of course you give up all the other improvements.

Dale

kennyc
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
As Robert mentioned, you cannot have Mobi DRM with any other DRM present on the system. They require an exclusive agreement. It is not likely that Pocket Pro will ever use mobi drm, I suspect, however the original EZ Reader Basic can use mobi DRM but flashing the firmware with the January copy of the firmware. Of course you give up all the other improvements.

Dale

I see, I'd missed that point....well then here's what I say to mobi :p

I will begin working to kill it immediately.

frozennorth
09-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I would agree. The original suggestion was to keep the book.

Dale
Even if you keep the book, how many times are you going to read it? Most people read a book only once unless it's exceptionally good. If the OP doesn't share it with anybody I don't see the problem. It would be just wasted memory on her/his device. If we go strictly by what's 100% legal we wouldn't remove the drm in the first place.

griffonwing
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
There has been no announcement that Wallcraft is a Moderator. He is NOT a Moderator.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)

I think Robert was simply combining 2 words into one.

Wallcraft is a Moderate Amatuer = Moderateur :rofl:

superstitious
09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I loved the Harry Potter series & I'm going to dive into the Twilight series soon! My least favorite Sophie Kinsella book was "Remember Me". I hear that her new one, "Twenties Girl" (or something like that) is really good.

Ive read all 4 books from the Twilight series and her science fiction, The Host. I liked them all. I am not sure Ive read Remember me yet.

BearMountainBooks
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
You might also try out Smashwords.com for ebooks (Yes, self-serving because my books are out there, but I chose to put them there because they offer multiple formats with no DRM--it allows me to offer books for all devices).

I've been reading through some of the free books available on Smashwords and have downloaded samples of others. It's a bit hit/miss with quality or content, but that is probably true of any site (commercial or non...)

The good news is that smashwords seems to be attracting more authors now that they will be working with Barnes and Noble and fictionwise.

I still don't have an ereader other than mobipocket for my laptop and stanza for my laptop--so thanks for this thread. Good info to have. I admit that I've been leaning towards the kindle just because that seems to have the most books available...but the pricing is better on other ebook readers...

Maria

griffonwing
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I still don't have an ereader other than mobipocket for my laptop and stanza for my laptop--so thanks for this thread. Good info to have. I admit that I've been leaning towards the kindle just because that seems to have the most books available...but the pricing is better on other ebook readers...

Maria

The main aspect of the Kindle which dissuades me from it is that for the most part, all your books have to be bought through Amazon. They also read Mobi, PRC, TXT, and some PDF support. You can have them convert DOCs and HTML to their proprietary format through an email service. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#File_formats)

So the scope is limited, as far as formats are concerned.

I also don't like the fact that, at the whim of an author or publisher, they can remove legally-purchased books from your device. This is tantamount to breaking and entering and theft.

It's my thinking that purchasing a device, like the Astak reader, with the ability to read from numerous online bookstores, excellent customer service which adds new features and even format support via constant firmware updates, you will have a greater scope of available books with such a device. Instead of one or 2 bookstores, you have access to hundreds.

Sony's bookstore is soon going to ePub, and this will open up the Sony store for any device which supports the ePub format. I would love to see Amazon do the same with their store, but I don't see it anytime soon.

Robertb
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Dear Kenny:

We already have support for non-DRM Mobi on both the 5 and 6 inch EZ Reader. The problem is Mobi DRM. Mobi insists on total exclusivity of format. This means you cannot have Adobe DRM and Mobi DRM on any device.

The first 500 or so 6 inch EZ Reader Basic DID have Mobi DRM; and Amazon forced us to drop selling devices in that format (despite the fact that the factory had been approved). Amazon has been a VERY difficult company to work with from our perspective; and we just are staying very clear of them now.

So, no, I doubt you will ever see any EZ Reader go with Mobi DRM again because of Amazon's wishes. We have Adobe DRM at present which works just fine; and we are close to a contract with Fictionwise to have eReader DRM added on our devices. That depends on Barnes & Noble which owns Fictionwise.

BearMountainBooks
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh, I hope you are able to get the Fictionwise DRM. They have a fairly large selection of books/stories/magazines (which is probably why BN bought them). That would make the device even more attractive (not that it isn't, mind!)

kennyc
09-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Dear Kenny:

We already have support for non-DRM Mobi on both the 5 and 6 inch EZ Reader. The problem is Mobi DRM. Mobi insists on total exclusivity of format. This means you cannot have Adobe DRM and Mobi DRM on any device.

The first 500 or so 6 inch EZ Reader Basic DID have Mobi DRM; and Amazon forced us to drop selling devices in that format (despite the fact that the factory had been approved). Amazon has been a VERY difficult company to work with from our perspective; and we just are staying very clear of them now.

So, no, I doubt you will ever see any EZ Reader go with Mobi DRM again because of Amazon's wishes. We have Adobe DRM at present which works just fine; and we are close to a contract with Fictionwise to have eReader DRM added on our devices. That depends on Barnes & Noble which owns Fictionwise.

Thanks Robert. It has slipped my mind about the Mobi DRM requirement. Thats for the interesting info on Amazon as well. I spent several weeks investigating the Ebook/epublishing world before deciding which bus to get on and after the evaluation it was definitely not the Amazon/Kindle bus. It is my belief that Epub will become the standard (certainly that could change :) ) and eventually Amazon will have to adopt it. Apparently they are playing hardball with others, including Mobi themselves.

Thanks for the confirmation/information.

I've expecting my Pocket Pro to be on my doorstep when I get home this evening, at least that is what UPS is telling me.

wallcraft
09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
So, no, I doubt you will ever see any EZ Reader go with Mobi DRM again because of Amazon's wishes. We have Adobe DRM at present which works just fine; and we are close to a contract with Fictionwise to have eReader DRM added on our devices. That depends on Barnes & Noble which owns Fictionwise. It isn't just the EZ Readers, all the existing EInk devices with DRMed MOBI support (except the iLiad, which is still sold but will have no new firmware) now have a separate firmware supporting DRMed Adobe PDF/ePub. The only new device with announced MOBI DRM support is the Bookeen Opus. Bookeen is the only vendor who has interpreted their agreement with MobiPocket to imply that they can provide MOBI as a "separate but equal" firmware to Adobe. Everyone else has dropped DRMed MOBI for all future firmware releases.

AJ Starr
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I see that many of the ebook stores are carrying Epubs now. I, along with others, think this is great.

My question is, do these stores automatically use a DRM (ADE I believe) on the Epub, unless told otherwise. Or is it DRM-free Epub unless told otherwise.

I looked at some of the smaller stores that were listed in the News and Commentary section, but they did not specify whether they use DRM or not.

I realize the bigger bookstore, specifically Books On Board, use DRM and they Clearly state theirs are DRMed or not, depending on the book.

Can I assume if an ebook store does not STATE it is DRM, that the Epub is Not DRM'd.

Thanks.

cvkemp
09-14-2009, 04:46 PM
To my understanding it is DRM unless it says other wise.
I only find that the free ebooks I find on MR are DRM free.

chuck

KarateMonkey
09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
I see that many of the ebook stores are carrying Epubs now. I, along with others, think this is great.

My question is, do these stores automatically use a DRM (ADE I believe) on the Epub, unless told otherwise. Or is it DRM-free Epub unless told otherwise.

I looked at some of the smaller stores that were listed in the News and Commentary section, but they did not specify whether they use DRM or not.

I realize the bigger bookstore, specifically Books On Board, use DRM and they Clearly state theirs are DRMed or not, depending on the book.

Can I assume if an ebook store does not STATE it is DRM, that the Epub is Not DRM'd.

Thanks.

Check out a few books. They should tell you sometime before you turn over any money what format it's in.

You can also always check the help/FAQ section of the store. There may not be a "Are your books DRMed?" section, but if their instructions for download include things like "Make sure you've installed Adobe Digital Editions/MS reader/Mobipocket Reader." that's a pretty good sign. If they've got large sections devoted to problems downloading or reading books caused by DRM that an even better sign.

jwsheets
09-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Everyone else has dropped DRMed MOBI for all future firmware releases.

The BeBook will be offering new firmware updates for DRM MObi AND DRM ADE - just not together. Users will be able to choose which version they want, they can even switch back and forth, but they can't have both at once.

wallcraft
09-15-2009, 12:45 AM
The BeBook will be offering new firmware updates for DRM MObi AND DRM ADE - just not together. At the moment the latest MOBI DRM firmware for the BeBook One (Hanlin V3) is from February. It would be good news for them to continue to support MOBI DRM, but I don't expect it. For one thing it would allow EZ Reader Basic users to also get an updated MOBI DRM firmware.

Will they be providing MOBI DRM for the BeBook Mini (Hanlin V5) and BeBook 2 as well?

Dave_S
09-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Will they be providing MOBI DRM for the BeBook Mini (Hanlin V5) and BeBook 2 as well?

Endless Ideas makes no mention of any future BeBook support for MOBI DRM on their web site or their forum, so I think that you are correct in assuming that the 25 February 2009 firmware that they are keeping available (for now) will be the last of the MOBI DRM firmware for the whole BeBook line.

Xiaopanda
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Welcome Lisa,

I have the older brother of your reader, selected for much the same reasons, though if I wasn't me I would have waited for the "PEZ" or PP.

Ask a heap of questions and discuss whatever is on you mind!