View Full Version : New Firmware Upgrade Posted Already!

Robertb
09-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Dear All:

We got the new Firmware Upgrades posted on our website faster than expected. They are avialable right now:

www.theEZreader.com (under "support")

This update is regarding the font size choices, hyperlink, bookmarking improvements, and more.

tdproffitt
09-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Awesome! Downloaded and installed the firmware. It looks like the fixes/upgrades are mainly for the epub format. It seems like the page turn response is faster too. This firmware update also adds TTS to epub (unencrypted epub at least), although the TTS needs a little work as it cant handle contractions for example youll is read as you l l and 'you're' is read as 'you' 'ray'.

Robertb, you convinced me to buy a Pocket Pro (I bought a white one) and I have to admit that Im very pleased with it. I upgraded from a Cybook Gen3 and, while it is a great reader, communication from the company is really bad. You said that Astak would listen to us and so far, youve been proven right!

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 12:05 AM
This did fix one bug the last firmware hit me with, the missing last sub toc entry on all sub tocs.

The search function works ok, but the timing on hitting the button to select the correct letter is a little tricky.

The bug, introduced in the last firmware upgrade, of not using the embedded font for toc entries in an epub is still there. This one is really causing problems with my Armenian Bible.

The list of features on the download page said it supports hyperlinks, but I still can't find a way to do that in an epub.

I also still can't figure out how to set a bookmark in a mobi file.

GA Russell
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
In regard to the font sizes, there has been some posting that the default font is too small to read comfortably, and the next size up (and all other sizes) is too big.

Does this firmware fix take care of that issue, or will we have to wait for another update?

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I was happy with the last firmware and font size changes. This one does not look like it has changed again.

JSWolf
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I was happy with the last firmware and font size changes. This one does not look like it has changed again.
But if the major ADE/ePub bug(s) have been fixed, then updating the firmware is a rather good idea.

JSWolf
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Dear All:

We got the new Firmware Upgrades posted on our website faster than expected. They are avialable right now:

www.theEZreader.com (under "support")

This update is regarding the font size choices, hyperlink, bookmarking improvements, and more.
Well done on the firmware.

But not so well done on the website. The rather flashy, loud, and annoying intro really does need to go. It looks amateurish. And for people at work who do have sound capabilities on their work computers, this is not good to have. And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro. :smack:

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
But if the major ADE/ePub bug(s) have been fixed, then updating the firmware is a rather good idea.

And that's why I jumped at the new firmware, :) It fixed at least one major bug. I will keep pestering them about the bugs that are still not resolved.

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro. :smack:

There is a skip button in the lower right, but as far as sound goes, it is already too late.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks sound no a professional web site is a bad idea. Now if I can get one of my clients to listen to me instead of his "marketing genius" he will probably end up annoying a lot fewer of his customers...

cvkemp
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
The intro is no different than many other sites that I have to go to and at least I can skip it there or a few that will not let you skip.
While I am not crazy about the intro I believe the site is well done.

Just my two cents
Chuck

JSWolf
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
The intro is no different than many other sites that I have to go to and at least I can skip it there or a few that will not let you skip.
While I am not crazy about the intro I believe the site is well done.

Just my two cents
Chuck
I do believe the intro will lose Astak some customers.

JSWolf
09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Has anyone installed the new firmware and tested that hyperlinks in ePub work?

wallcraft
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Has anyone installed the new firmware and tested that hyperlinks in ePub work? Hyperlinks work in PDFs, but not in ePubs. There is also no "go back" key to return from a hyperlink. Two bugs that were fixed in the BeBook firmware but are still present here are that images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs and the ePub page number gets bigger with the zoom size.

The smallest ePub page size is way too small, which means that the largest size is a bit too small. This is still a big improvement on the original set of font sizes though.

wallcraft
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
And the way the site is setup, there's no way to skip past the intro. There is a HTML-only entry point http://www.theezreader.com/html/. I agree that this should be the default starting point. The current "intro" could easily added to this page as an option.

AnemicOak
09-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Hyperlinks work in PDFs, but not in ePubs. There is also no "go back" key to return from a hyperlink.

Someone else posted that they do work in ePub. Could it depend on how the book was made or something?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=587029&postcount=10

Kinda need that "go back" key though.

AnemicOak
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
There is a HTML-only entry point http://www.theezreader.com/html/. I agree that this should be the default starting point. The current "intro" could easily added to this page as an option.

This should be what you get when going to the main URL instead of waiting for a splash page to load far enough for 'skip' to appear.

slayda
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
There is a HTML-only entry point http://www.theezreader.com/html/. I agree that this should be the default starting point. The current "intro" could easily added to this page as an option.

Problem is, that doesn't take you to the same place that you are after skipping the intro. It looks similar but doesn't have all the information as you get after skipping the intro.

cvkemp
09-10-2009, 11:33 AM
slayda You are correct it does not even show the same firmware as the other way.

chuck

griffonwing
09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I took the /html route, and I never noticed it either. I think the /html was a quick workaround when mention of the annoying flash screen was raised last month, but the /html pages were'nt updated. I've done this before with my own page.

slm
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I tried hyperlinks on two epub files created by Calibre as news feeds, the Wall Street Journal and Slate. They both worked fine.

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I tried hyperlinks on two epub files created by Calibre as news feeds, the Wall Street Journal and Slate. They both worked fine.

Can you explain the procedure you used to follow an internal link?

wallcraft
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Can you explain the procedure you used to follow an internal link? Hit the 0 key on a page with hyperlinks. The first such link gets underlined, use 9 and 0 keys to move the underline between hyperlinks on the page, once the right hyperlink is underlined, hit OK.

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Hit the 0 key on a page with hyperlinks. The first such link gets underlined, use 9 and 0 keys to move the underline between hyperlinks on the page, once the right hyperlink is underlined, hit OK.

That did not work in my epub. The 0 took me to the next page. What do you see when you hit the menu button on a page with links? Did you do this on the 6" or the 5" EZReader?

ekaser
09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
It's possible that Calibre is outputting TOC code with links that work, and some otherwise crafted ePubs are using hyperlink code that's not working. We need two public domain ePubs, one that works and one that doesn't, so we can compare the hyperlink code in the two!

@hyegeek: are you SURE you've properly upgraded your firmware to the latest? (Anyone: how do you find the current firmware revision in the EZ-Reader? What's the latest revision numbers?)

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
@hyegeek: are you SURE you've properly upgraded your firmware to the latest? (Anyone: how do you find the current firmware revision in the EZ-Reader? What's the latest numbers?)
Yep, it fixed one of the bugs that was introduced.

slm
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Attached (I hope) is a file that works

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
No links worked in that document on my 6" Astak EZReader.

To clarify, I was able to navigate the TOC and that worked fine. It is internal links that don't work.

slm
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
No links worked in that document on my 6" Astak EZReader.

To clarify, I was able to navigate the TOC and that worked fine. It is internal links that don't work.

Can you specify an internal link in the WSJ.epub file that didn't work?

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I just brought it up in fbreader as a second program to try things from (fbreader also makes the distinction between links and toc obvious) and it looks like there are no internal links in that document.

hyegeek
09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
From an email I just got from Astak support

"New FW (Support hyperlink on ePub) will be release in the next 2 days"

This is good news.

Lbooker
09-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree: sites forcing me to listen to musics/sounds I did not request are awful. I really cannot stand them.
About font sizes in pdf and epub: could we get many more sizes between the current size 1 and 3?

kennyc
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
From an email I just got from Astak support

"New FW (Support hyperlink on ePub) will be release in the next 2 days"

This is good news.

See: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56156

Mnementh
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
The smallest ePub page size is way too small, which means that the largest size is a bit too small. This is still a big improvement on the original set of font sizes though.

I've just updated the firmware on my PP 5" and to be perfectly honest the smallest font size is to large in my opinion. It could definitely do with being smaller.

I've literally only picked it up from the Post Office Depot about 30 minutes ago (they claimed they'd tried to deliver it but I've been in the house all day waiting for it so I know they didn't) so I haven't had time to do much with it yet but after seeing everybody's comments about the font sizes I had to check them out.

I will be posting a review with pictures in a few days after I've had time to give it a good workout (I'm already liking it 100% more than my old Sony PRS-505).

Rolly
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Robert,

After reading so many reviews of ebook readers, I finally decided to buy the Pocket Pro, however, it seems that there are still bugs in it after your announcement of a new firmware update. Anyway, my main concern in posting today is to inquire if there is a way that we can install a dictionary on a reader which doesn't have, like the Pocket Pro.

Your kind reply would be grealy appreciated. Thanks.

kennyc
09-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I've just updated the firmware on my PP 5" and to be perfectly honest the smallest font size is to large in my opinion. It could definitely do with being smaller.

I've literally only picked it up from the Post Office Depot about 30 minutes ago (they claimed they'd tried to deliver it but I've been in the house all day waiting for it so I know they didn't) so I haven't had time to do much with it yet but after seeing everybody's comments about the font sizes I had to check them out.

I will be posting a review with pictures in a few days after I've had time to give it a good workout (I'm already liking it 100% more than my old Sony PRS-505).

Congrats! I hate it when that "we tried to deliver" thing happens!! Will look forward to your impressions!

Was the font size smaller BEFORE the upgrade?

Rolly
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Intro on the Astak Website can be skipped. I think, other websites have the same style of intro. The only thing Astak has to do is to decrease the volume of said intro...it's quite loud, really.

Rolly
09-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Robert,

After reading so many reviews of ebook readers, I finally decided to buy the Pocket Pro, however, it seems that there are still bugs in it after your announcement of a new firmware update. Anyway, my main concern in posting today is to inquire if there is a way that we can install a dictionary on a reader which doesn't have, like the EZ Readers.

Mnementh
09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Congrats! I hate it when that "we tried to deliver" thing happens!! Will look forward to your impressions!

Was the font size smaller BEFORE the upgrade?

Yeah it's really annoying when they do that, it's not the first time it's happened. I think it's because all satellite navigation systems put my house in the middle of my street (the road is shaped like a 3 with the sat navs placing my house smack bang in the middle when it's actually at the very bottom of the curve).

To be honest I don't know if the fonts were smaller as the first thing I did was put the firmware upgrade on.

Couple of things I've noticed already is that hyperlinks work in the TOC for epubs, I haven't found any books with footnotes yet so haven't been able to test those.

Page turn response is very fast in comparison to the 505 (I got rid of that because the length of time the screen flashed black was just too distracting, this is imo hardly noticable on the PP).

The SD card slot is VERY tight it's a struggle to get the card in and out without quite a bit of force, this might be just peculiar to my particular unit it might just be very close on the tolerances.

Oh and this is just a personal thing but I hate the cover, it's just too bulky for me I like to read with one hand and it strains your fingers trying to hold the cover open, I guess I'm just used to reading with PDA's, so that's gonna go. I had the same problem with the 505 cover so it's not an Astak problem this one is a me problem :)

More thoughts later :2thumbsup

kennyc
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM

To be honest I don't know if the fonts were smaller as the first thing I did was put the firmware upgrade on.

Page turn response is very fast in comparison to the 505 (I got rid of that because the length of time the screen flashed black was just too distracting, this is imo hardly noticable on the PP).

Oh and this is just a personal thing but I hate the cover, it's just too bulky for me I like to read with one hand and it strains your fingers trying to hold the cover open, I guess I'm just used to reading with PDA's, so that's gonna go. I had the same problem with the 505 cover so it's not an Astak problem this one is a me problem :)

More thoughts later :2thumbsup

I'll check the fonts on mine before/after the upgrade (unless someone here can already answer this??)

I'm glad to hear the page turn is faster....it is usable, but definitely slowish on the 505.

Looking at the cover kinda made me think what you are saying here....hmmm.

The cover on the 505 is "okay" with me is it more cumbersome than that?

More difficult to read one-handed than the 505?

Mnementh
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Looking at the cover kinda made me think what you are saying here....hmmm.

The cover on the 505 is "okay" with me is it more cumbersome than that?

More difficult to read one-handed than the 505?

I'd say the cover on the 505 was probably easier to hold then the PP but the cover on the PP is imo much better quality, it just feels sturdier and better made. This is totally subjective and it's been a long time since I gave my 505 away so my memory may be a bit faulty in regards to this as I removed the cover on the 505 pretty much straight away.

I think the PP is easier to read one handed than the 505 from my first impressions (I'll know better when I try to read in bed tonight that will be the acid test for me), it's lighter and just feels better, I didn't really like the feel or the control layout of the 505. So far the PP just fit nicely, again though I'll know better tonight.

Robertb
09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Robert,

After reading so many reviews of ebook readers, I finally decided to buy the Pocket Pro, however, it seems that there are still bugs in it after your announcement of a new firmware update. Anyway, my main concern in posting today is to inquire if there is a way that we can install a dictionary on a reader which doesn't have, like the Pocket Pro.

Dear Rolly:

A second firmware upgrade is due on Monday.

I wouldn't call them bugs... I think all new products with a brand new DRM format will need to be massaged a bit. What happens is that Adobe Digital Editions makes their format for numerous devices and then asks the factories to make their devices function adequately with their format. This is not always perfect the first time out of the box... but the DIFFERENCE is we are listening and making the changes very quickly.

The Dictionary is a very old cry on the Astak thread that was NOT listened to. This is my one shame! Now that we have the factory's ear... let me again bring up the need for the dictionary. I will not quit until it can be accomodated!

Lbooker
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Lbook has it.

AJ Starr
09-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Lbook has it.

The firmware or the dictionary???

AnemicOak
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Lbook has it.

Dictionary? In ePub (ADE)?

kennyc
09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd say the cover on the 505 was probably easier to hold then the PP but the cover on the PP is imo much better quality, it just feels sturdier and better made. This is totally subjective and it's been a long time since I gave my 505 away so my memory may be a bit faulty in regards to this as I removed the cover on the 505 pretty much straight away.

I think the PP is easier to read one handed than the 505 from my first impressions (I'll know better when I try to read in bed tonight that will be the acid test for me), it's lighter and just feels better, I didn't really like the feel or the control layout of the 505. So far the PP just fit nicely, again though I'll know better tonight.

Wonderful. Thank you for the reply. That sounds exactly like what I'm hoping for. :)

wallcraft
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
The Dictionary is a very old cry on the Astak thread that was NOT listened to. This is my one shame! Now that we have the factory's ear... let me again bring up the need for the dictionary. I will not quit until it can be accomodated! Note that eReader supports dictionaries. This does not necessarily mean that the new eReader SDK will do so, and I think this only works inside eReader ebooks (i.e. you can't open the eReader dictionary inside other ebook types, as is possible with MOBI on some devices).

Open InkPot has added dictionary support, and it started out in CoolReader only (e.g. for FB2 ebooks). One issue for open source dictionary apps is that all commercial dictionaries come with DRM. However, there are freely available dictionaries, see dictd-dictionary (http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/dictd-dictionary). These are packaged for Linux, but the list gives you an idea of what is available. I think these "dictd" format dictionaries are the ones used by Lbook also on the Hanlin V3. If you get dictd dictionaries working in the EZ Readers, it might be possible to bundle a commercial dictionary by including it in the firmware (to get round the DRM requirement). That adds extra cost for the dictionary licence. Both Amazon and Sony (PRS-600 only) have gone this route, and both ended up licensing their dictionaries from Oxford press.

AJ Starr
09-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Question:

I've downloaded (Not installed) the firmware from earlier this week. If the next firmware comes on Monday, as possible, and I download it, do I need to install them in sequence, or does the newest firmware include all the previous firmware downloads?

(I get my PEZ on Thursday: :2thumbsup)

AJ

cvkemp
09-12-2009, 12:45 AM
No all you will need is the newest release of the firmware

Chuck

JSWolf
09-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Robertb, will the new firmware support history? What history is is being able to navigate back and forwards via the pages you've been too. So say you were reading a book that has endnotes and you use the link to go read the endnote, if you did not have history, you would not be able to go back to where you were unless you remembered the page number and jumped directly to that page. This is something very important. Not all eBooks will have a go back link.

pilotbob
09-12-2009, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't call them bugs... I think all new products with a brand new DRM format will need to be massaged a bit.

That's right... they are "undocumented features"! :D

BOb

cvkemp
09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Robert are we still on schedule for the firmware update today?

Chuck

jwsheets
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Robertb, will we be seeing the firrmware update today that you said was scheduled for today?

kennyc
09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I received my PP yesterday and my first impressions were not favorable. The screen contrast is slightly less than my Sony 505 -- which is disappointing. The jump in font size from the small to the next step was annoying, but appears to be addressed by the firmware upgrade (which went without too much trouble). I personally don't like the layout of the keys -- page turns in particular -- but will get used to it. It is not easy to read one-handed with the cover in place -- would likely be better without the cover.

Calibre does not recognize the Pocket Pro so books have to be transferred by copying to a drive. Hopefully that will be addressed in the future because I prefer using Calibre.

One thing I really don't like is the tiny tiny fonts on the menus.

Another niggle is that it doesn't always seem to respond to key presses...drives me crazy when that happens.

cvkemp
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
We were told that a new firmware update was come out yesterday but did not make up. I beleive that means that they are working on some of the other suggestions that were given and trying to put more into the update.

Robert B please let us know what you can tell us about the firmware update.

Chuck

AnemicOak
09-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Calibre does not recognize the Pocket Pro so books have to be transferred by copying to a drive. Hopefully that will be addressed in the future because I prefer using Calibre.

I thought it saw it as a BeBook. If so it should transfer books ok even without labeling the device as a PP.

EDIT: Looks like Kovid is working on it showing as a PP.

kennyc
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I thought it saw it as a BeBook. If so it should transfer books ok even without labeling the device as a PP.

EDIT: Looks like Kovid is working on it showing as a PP.

Yes, it think it's a BeBook, but you can't transfer the books that way. You have to use savetodisc or manually copy/drag and drop

JSWolf
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
The Calibre issue is not Astak's problem at all. It's nothing to do with them. So mentioning it the way you did makes it seem like Astak is at fault because Calibre doesn't recognize your PP.

kennyc
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
The Calibre issue is not Astak's problem at all. It's nothing to do with them. So mentioning it the way you did makes it seem like Astak is at fault because Calibre doesn't recognize your PP.

Only to you Wolf. :D

My list was not addressed to Astak, but just a list of my initial impressions/issues.

phenomshel
09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
YAYYY!! PDF's are now readable!!

kennyc
09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, it think it's a BeBook, but you can't transfer the books that way. You have to use savetodisc or manually copy/drag and drop

To follow up here. I was unaware that the BeBook and the Pocket Pro are literally the same Jinke Device rebranded.

From another Thread:

-----------------------
Okay so I'm more informed than I was yesterday. The main problem I was having here was due to

Now that I think about it, I got an error from Calibre the first time it recognized the device, too. In my case, it was Calibre not liking the Chinese version of the manual that is included on the reader. Unfortunately I didn't write the error message down, but I think it had something to do with Calibre being unable to read the metadata from the file. I removed the Chinese manual and haven't gotten any other error messages from Calibre when using the Pocket Pro.

And this was causing it to not read the internal or SD card to find the books already there.

I also was unaware that a BeBook Reader is the same hardware both from Jinke Electronics just rebranded.

SO bottom line here is that Calibre DOES recognize the Astak Pocket Pro, but as a BeBook Mini. The transfer of books/files/news all work properly .... but you have to get rid to that chinese manual because it screws up the works.

I'm much happier with this set up now. My only remaining issue with the Pocket Pro is that tiny font size on the menus!

--------------------------

Morlac
09-16-2009, 07:19 AM
SO bottom line here is that Calibre DOES recognize the Astak Pocket Pro, but as a BeBook Mini. The transfer of books/files/news all work properly .... but you have to get rid to that chinese manual because it screws up the works.

--------------------------

Excellent info! You know, we should start collecting the most critical "what you need to know to get the most from your PocketPro" info into a single FAQ or thread to gather all the wisdom/experience in one place! :chinscratch:

wallcraft
09-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I was unaware that the BeBook and the Pocket Pro are literally the same Jinke Device rebranded. Yes, the BeBook Mini and the Pocket Pro are both Hanlin V5s. This is typically true of of the Jinke device resellers around the world. They all use stock hardware, with their brand name on it, and most use only cosmetically changed firmware. Lbook is one exception, they customize the firmware to some extent. For example, their V3 has bigger fonts in the menus - see here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=518760&postcount=2722) for screenshots.

cvkemp
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Robert I sure hope that the delay in the firmware update and the being very quiet about it all means that just maybe we are getting very close to having the ereader added to the firmware.
I care hope cann't I.

chuck

DaleDe
09-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Excellent info! You know, we should start collecting the most critical "what you need to know to get the most from your PocketPro" info into a single FAQ or thread to gather all the wisdom/experience in one place! :chinscratch:

This sort of thing is ideal for the wiki.

Dale

Chiron
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
This sort of thing is ideal for the wiki.

Dale

And maybe after the wiki is updated make it a sticky here? :book2:

6charlong
09-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Would that be a wiki sticky or a sticky wiki? :rolleyes:

DaleDe
09-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Certainly a forum connected to a wiki works well for people to discuss things.

Dale

kennyc
09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Would that be a wiki sticky or a sticky wiki? :rolleyes:

Yes.

:p

JSWolf
09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Does the Pocket PRO or EZ Reader have history when using ePub via ADE?

kennyc
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I didn't see any history or read anything in the manual about it...

HarryT
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Does the Pocket PRO or EZ Reader have history when using ePub via ADE?

What do you mean by "history", Jon?

DaleDe
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
What do you mean by "history", Jon?

He is looking for a back button which I believe he knows is not yet available.

Dale

HarryT
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Dale. I'm sure, though, that when the Pocket Pro does get a "back" button it will be the most powerful back button ever seen in the history of reading devices :).

DaleDe
09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Dale. I'm sure, though, that when the Pocket Pro does get a "back" button it will be the most powerful back button ever seen in the history of reading devices :).

ROFL

Dale

Morlac
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Not only significantly faster than any competitive back button, but available in designer colors and supporting more than 20 languages! With ADE support! You will not find a better back button in a lifetime of searching.

:chinscratch:

I say this with a deep affection and not out of hostility or mean-spiritedness. From everything I've seen, I really like Robertb. He reminds me of a former boss who spoke and crafted our sales and marketing pitches in a very similar vein!

By the way -- in all seriousness -- I think that this message thread just saved me from possibly serious injury! I was about to leave my desk to use the men's room when I saw the message and decided to add my obnoxious two cents. While I was typing, there was a thundering crash from the men's room. The large wall mirror there had fallen right off the wall, sending broken glass everywhere. Had I been in there, I think I would've almost certainly been hurt! :thanks:

kennyc
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Not only significantly faster than any competitive back button, but available in designer colors and supporting more than 20 languages! With ADE support! You will not find a better back button in a lifetime of searching.

:chinscratch:

I say this with a deep affection and not out of hostility or mean-spiritedness. From everything I've seen, I really like Robertb. He reminds me of a former boss who spoke and crafted our sales and marketing pitches in a very similar vein!

By the way -- in all seriousness -- I think that this message thread just saved me from possibly serious injury! I was about to leave my desk to use the men's room when I saw the message and decided to add my obnoxious two cents. While I was typing, there was a thundering crash from the men's room. The large wall mirror there had fallen right off the wall, sending broken glass everywhere. Had I been in there, I think I would've almost certainly been hurt! :thanks:

DUDE!! Your LIFE was saved by that BACK BUTTON!!!

:eek: :D

:rofl:

KarateMonkey
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
DUDE!! Your LIFE was saved by that BACK BUTTON!!!

:eek: :D

:rofl:

And that was just the hypthetical back button. Think of the good it will do humanity once it actually exists.

HarryT
09-18-2009, 01:18 PM
See - what did I tell you? :)

KarateMonkey
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I can't wait for the back button to kill DRM.

kennyc
09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I can't wait for the back button to kill DRM.

:thumbsup:

6charlong
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM
He is looking for a back button which I believe he knows is not yet available.
Dale

It actually does have a "back button" of a sort. It's the small, left half of the large, round "Menu" button on the bottom right side. It saved me aggravation. When I first used my PP I [unwisely] loaded an ePub version of The Tale of Two Cities and after reading a while I tried going through the font sizes. When I got to the largest size it seemed to lock up. The little green light that shows when it's using battery was flashing wildly so after awhile I started frantically pushing buttons, trying to make it stop. Nothing helped until I started hitting the "back button." It seemed to work like the "undo" in Firefox. After I hit it about ten times in a row it returned me to the menu I was in before I loaded that file. No other ePub file has done that. The rest of them change fonts quickly and reliably, so I'm going to delete that file and reload it.

JSWolf
09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
So if the firmware ever gets to supporting hyperlinks, will there also be a back button? It sounds to me like the firmware was not well thought out/tested.

And the back button will be so powerful, it'll make my 505 go back.

RichyRich
09-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Perhaps it will be like with Mobi files, where you press the Menu, then select 9 for Back.

kennyc
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Perhaps it will be like with Mobi files, where you press the Menu, then select 9 for Back.

There were some "interesting" UI/Navigation/Operation things like that in the Astak Pocket Pro....one of the 'niggly' things that bugged me about it.

I hate to have to remember weird combination's of keys or key press and hold and other such stuff. I want my UI/Operation to be simple and intuitive.

AnemicOak
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
There were some "interesting" UI/Navigation/Operation things like that in the Astak Pocket Pro....one of the 'niggly' things that bugged me about it.

I hate to have to remember weird combination's of keys or key press and hold and other such stuff. I want my UI/Operation to be simple and intuitive.

Totally agree.

DaleDe
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
It actually does have a "back button" of a sort. It's the small, left half of the large, round "Menu" button on the bottom right side. It saved me aggravation. When I first used my PP I [unwisely] loaded an ePub version of The Tale of Two Cities and after reading a while I tried going through the font sizes. When I got to the largest size it seemed to lock up. The little green light that shows when it's using battery was flashing wildly so after awhile I started frantically pushing buttons, trying to make it stop. Nothing helped until I started hitting the "back button." It seemed to work like the "undo" in Firefox. After I hit it about ten times in a row it returned me to the menu I was in before I loaded that file. No other ePub file has done that. The rest of them change fonts quickly and reliably, so I'm going to delete that file and reload it.

Yes, it does have that kind of back button. The button you describe is the exit button. It does backup through the menus, back out (exit) a book and backup through the pages of the library browser. it will even back up through the contents if you have a toc with multiple levels. It will also cancel invoking the menu or a change to the image settings and back out of a zip file. It is the ultimate 'get me out of here' button and can seemingly solve some lockups by canceling the operation. However, it will not back up from a jump to a link you have made inside a book.

Dale

JSWolf
09-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, it does have that kind of back button. The button you describe is the exit button. It does backup through the menus, back out (exit) a book and backup through the pages of the library browser. it will even back up through the contents if you have a toc with multiple levels. It will also cancel invoking the menu or a change to the image settings and back out of a zip file. It is the ultimate 'get me out of here' button and can seemingly solve some lockups by canceling the operation. However, it will not back up from a jump to a link you have made inside a book.

Dale
makes Reading Discworld books a real problem.

DaleDe
09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
makes Reading Discworld books a real problem.

For now you can remember the page number and to a goto page to return. That function was supposed to remember the page for you, but it doesn't yet.

Dale

JSWolf
09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
For now you can remember the page number and to a goto page to return. That function was supposed to remember the page for you, but it doesn't yet.

Dale
You do remember the quote that everyone should live by....

Buy a reader for what it does now, not for what it might do later.

Xerxes
09-25-2009, 08:29 PM
So if the firmware ever gets to supporting hyperlinks, will there also be a back button? It sounds to me like the firmware was not well thought out/tested.

Sometimes. I really think you WANT to like the Pocket Pro. :chinscratch:

AnemicOak
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
For now you can remember the page number and to a goto page to return.

That will get you close, but not to the exact sames spot since every 'page' is really several page turns long correct?

DaleDe
09-25-2009, 10:35 PM
That will get you close, but not to the exact sames spot since every 'page' is really several page turns long correct?

True enough, even a bookmark only sets the 'page'. I think this needs to be changed for all formats.

Dale

JSWolf
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Sometimes. I really think you WANT to like the Pocket Pro. :chinscratch:
I don't see how these bugs/issues got past QA and made it into production devices. I would like to see things fixed but fixed in a logical manor. Some things are just not logical.

theducks
09-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy.
I was going to try an make a image until I noticed that these were tiny numbers. I changed from Zoom 3 or 4 on a page and it turns out to be the original text's page number showing up on the right edge.
:chinscratch: Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?

kennyc
09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy.
I was going to try an make a image until I noticed that these were tiny numbers. I changed from Zoom 3 or 4 on a page and it turns out to be the original text's page number showing up on the right edge.
:chinscratch: Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?

I was told this is part of the Adobe Epub implementation.

ekaser
09-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I have been reading some epub format from Baen a was noticing every few pages that 1 letter at the line end (different line positions) was fuzzy. Baen, Bug or just normal for epub?

It's Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) which puts those "logical page numbers" on there. It has nothing to do with the publisher or the ePub format, purely the "reader software", ADE in this case. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only ePub reader software that ebook manufacturers are including at this point. :(

theducks
09-26-2009, 12:36 PM
:thanks: for the quick reply.
What were they thinking :rolleyes: to blur the last letter of text to the point of unreadability. Why not put the page # on a line by itself, even if it is tiny type and not over-print a existing character?

kennyc
09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
:thanks: for the quick reply.
What were they thinking :rolleyes: to blur the last letter of text to the point of unreadability. Why not put the page # on a line by itself, even if it is tiny type and not over-print a existing character?

I don't think that was the intent at all, it is overlayed -- you can actually see both, but the limited black levels make it difficult. I find the page numbers useful and they don't usually interfere with my reading. Part of it depends on how the margins are set on the particular book.

griffonwing
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
What about editing the endnote to include a link to the initial caller. For example:

"And Christopher set loose the Hounds of Blant (1) upon the invading horde.

"(1)" links to the end of the book endnote number 1.

(1) The Hounds of Blant are a summoned horde of misbegotten gnomish hunting dogs whos bray can piece the heart and cause the most stouthearted to cower in fear or turn and run(C1)

"(C1)" links to the initial "Hounds of Blant" endnote call in the body of the text. Selecting this will send you back to the page you were on when you left to read the endnote.

This will double the amount of hyperlinks in a given book, but you need not worry about making bookmarks, and having a BACK TO BOOK button in the firmware.

6charlong
09-26-2009, 06:28 PM
What about editing the endnote to include a link to the initial caller. For example:

"And Christopher set loose the Hounds of Blant (1) upon the invading horde.

"(1)" links to the end of the book endnote number 1.

(1) The Hounds of Blant are a summoned horde of misbegotten gnomish hunting dogs whos bray can piece the heart and cause the most stouthearted to cower in fear or turn and run(C1)

"(C1)" links to the initial "Hounds of Blant" endnote call in the body of the text. Selecting this will send you back to the page you were on when you left to read the endnote.

This will double the amount of hyperlinks in a given book, but you need not worry about making bookmarks, and having a BACK TO BOOK button in the firmware.

This can be simplified even more. Footnote (1) makes a hyperlink to the Endnotes thus:

(1) The Hounds of Blant are...

The return hyperlink is placed on the (1) in the target. Click that and it takes you back to your place in the body of the original text. I used this method in a PDF version of Beowulf I formatted last year. It works well enough in Adobe Reader and on the PPro too, as long as you know how to active hyperlinks on the PPro.

I'll try to attach the Beowulf file here:

6charlong
09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
BTW. I just looked at one of the ePub books I'm currently reading and the publisher implemented footnotes--actually they used endnotes--the same way I did in Beowulf. You select the endnote you want to see and click Go; it takes you to the page of endnotes; read the one you want to see; select the number of the note and click Go again, and it takes you back to where you were in the text. The publisher of this eBook is Cannongate.

DaleDe
09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
BTW. I just looked at one of the ePub books I'm currently reading and the publisher implemented footnotes--actually they used endnotes--the same way I did in Beowulf. You select the endnote you want to see and click Go; it takes you to the page of endnotes; read the one you want to see; select the number of the note and click Go again, and it takes you back to where you were in the text. The publisher of this eBook is Cannongate.

that is pretty much the way they convert if you have footnotes in word. When you translate to HTML on the way to ePUB the Word program puts both links in.

Dale

Javed
10-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Can someone please tell me what button to press etc when I turn on the Pocket Pro to to a firmware update? I'm up to step 4 but does the "silver volume button" apply to the PP? Does this mean the page turning button on the side? Or do I press something else? Thanks.

From the Astak website:
1. After downloading the upgrade from our website, you must first unzip the file on your computer.
2. After unzipping, put the ".bin" file on your SD card. Your SD card must be 4GB or smaller (for the 6" EZ Reader) or 16GB or smaller (for the 5"PocketPRO) to do this.
3. Turn OFF your EZ Reader, and then insert the SD card into your EZ Reader.
4. Then, first holding down the silver "volume up" button on the right side of the EZ Reader, then press the ON button to turn on your EZ Reader.
5. Keep pressing the buttons until you hear a beep-beep sound.
6. The screen will display a message to ask if you want to update the firmware, so press the OK button to confirm, and wait until it finishes loading the firmware. Then you're done!

DaleDe
10-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Can someone please tell me what button to press etc when I turn on the Pocket Pro to to a firmware update? I'm up to step 4 but does the "silver volume button" apply to the PP? Does this mean the page turning button on the side? Or do I press something else? Thanks.

From the Astak website:
1. After downloading the upgrade from our website, you must first unzip the file on your computer.
2. After unzipping, put the ".bin" file on your SD card. Your SD card must be 4GB or smaller (for the 6" EZ Reader) or 16GB or smaller (for the 5"PocketPRO) to do this.
3. Turn OFF your EZ Reader, and then insert the SD card into your EZ Reader.
4. Then, first holding down the silver "volume up" button on the right side of the EZ Reader, then press the ON button to turn on your EZ Reader.
5. Keep pressing the buttons until you hear a beep-beep sound.
6. The screen will display a message to ask if you want to update the firmware, so press the OK button to confirm, and wait until it finishes loading the firmware. Then you're done!

This is the description for the V3 not the V5. For the V5 the 4th step is to hold down the upper button on the left top side (next page).

Dale

Javed
10-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Thanks Dale!

I never would have guessed it was that button to press! (especially since it isn't near the right side as mentioned). This forum is a great. :)

HarryT
10-02-2009, 05:00 AM
It's Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) which puts those "logical page numbers" on there. It has nothing to do with the publisher or the ePub format, purely the "reader software", ADE in this case. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only ePub reader software that ebook manufacturers are including at this point. :(

The solution is to set a small right margin in the book. If you download any of the ePub books that I've uploaded here you'll find (I hope) that the page number does not overlap the book. I use a 13pt margin, which seems to be sufficient to achieve this.

In a DRM-free ePub book you can easily change the margin settings using Calibre.

DaleDe
10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Dale!

I never would have guessed it was that button to press! (especially since it isn't near the right side as mentioned). This forum is a great. :)

Yea, it can be a bit confusing. It is a logical choice given that the V5 has no volume control buttons. Of course when the V3 was designed they had no idea about the V5 so they didn't anticipate that the key might go away.

Dale

Xerxes
10-03-2009, 03:45 AM

After playing around with a HTML and a PDF I made with hyperlinks, I'm starting to agree with JSWolf here. I mean maybe I'm missing something, but the footnote/endnote links just aren't clickable.

This is... bad.:blink:
I so hope I'm just doing it wrong.