View Full Version : "Slowness" of the Pocket PRO

Egbert
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I got my Pocket PRO yesterday and I just want to comment on a particular aspect of it. I bought the Pocket PRO partially on the basis that page turns will be much faster than most other ebook readers out there. To quote RobertB's blog: "The heart and soul of any eBook Reader is centered around the controller and the processor. The speed of bringing up a book and speed of turning pages... all are a matter of the controller and processor. The Pocket PRO has the new Epson high-speed controller and a 400MHz processor (about double what the competition has in most cases)." (http://robertbez.blogspot.com/2009/08/careful-and-detailed-look-at-astak.html) In addition, on June 8th, he also said "page turns are a matter of 1-2 tenths of a second" (http://robertbez.blogspot.com/2009/06/two-samples-of-pocket-pro-arrived.html). (The quotes link to the relevant blog posts)

Now for the reality: my unit (and I must stress that this based only on a sample of one) does not turn pages as fast as I had been led to believe. First, according to the E-book Reader Matrix on the MobileRead Wiki, it has the same exact Epson controller as the Kindle 2, which is listed as having a 0.9 second full-screen refresh rate. Second, and to me more troubling, is that it takes at least a full second before the screen starts refreshing. I have tested this under various conditions (PDFs, TXTs, and ePUBs) and this is reproducible. This only occurs when I have been on a page for 2+ seconds. When I press the page turn button less than 2 seconds after the screen has refreshed, there is no lag of that length for the next refresh. This behavior does not happen on the Kindle 2.

Do I regret buying the Pocket PRO because of this slowness? It depends on whether the "input lag" issue can/will be fixed. This is a solid e-book reader for the price point ($200) and it has a better button layout than the Sony PRS-300, which is the only other competition at that price. However, I do feel that anyone who is considering buying the Pocket PRO based on the speed of the page turns should be aware that it is not as fast as we have been initially told. I would implore Aztak (or Jinke) to release a new firmware that fixes the "input lag" issue though. Otherwise, when the price returns to $230, having an effective page turn speed of ~2 seconds would make the Pocket PRO a really hard sell.

pdurrant
09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Second, and to me more troubling, is that it takes at least a full second before the screen starts refreshing.

Ouch. I'd guess that it goes into some kind of 'doze' mode to conserve battery power after a couple of seconds, and takes a little time to wake up from that doze. But ouch.

A firmware update might be able to improve that. If they decide it needs fixing.

emellaich
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I have been following the comments on the Hanlin V5 and you are not the first to notice this. It appears that the e-ink flash is quite fast, but that there is a delay between button push and the flash.

I'll cross-post this question in the Hanlin forum, but I'm curious if the users of the OpenInkpot firmware have noticed a similar delay.

MLH

cvkemp
09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
The natural of the eink is that the only power that is needed to to open the books and turn pages. There is no refresh of the display and yes the reader will go to sleep to save the battery that is how you get the 7 or 8 thousand page turns out of the battery. The slowness is not noticed for normal reading and normally you would not even be able to turn a page of a paper book as fast as the ereader can. I have the Ezreader and it I believe has a slower controller than the pro.

Chuck

wayamauro
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Too bad. I was going to purchase one today. I will have to wait now.
Let's see what other people say when they put their hands on it. It may just be a quick fix.

luqmaninbmore
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
The natural of the eink is that the only power that is needed to to open the books and turn pages. There is no refresh of the display and yes the reader will go to sleep to save the battery that is how you get the 7 or 8 thousand page turns out of the battery. The slowness is not noticed for normal reading and normally you would not even be able to turn a page of a paper book as fast as the ereader can. I have the Ezreader and it I believe has a slower controller than the pro.

Chuck

That's beside the point. The slowness on my 500 is something that I got used to with time but this does not change the fact that my much faster 700 is preferable to read on, at least as far as page-turn time is concerned. This device was hyped as having near-instantaneous page turns. The reports that began to trickle in regarding the V5 were one of the reasons that I decided to go with the Sony instead (that and the Bride of Hawking TTS voice and the plastic as opposed to metal housing).

wallcraft
09-03-2009, 10:20 PM
It appears that the e-ink flash is quite fast, but that there is a delay between button push and the flash. I agree with this comparing my V3 and V5 side by side. The V5 is always faster, it reaches the "flash" faster and to my eye the black reversal phase is quicker (or less apparent). However, the difference isn't a factor of two - it is at best 25% faster.

Second, and to me more troubling, is that it takes at least a full second before the screen starts refreshing. I have tested this under various conditions (PDFs, TXTs, and ePUBs) and this is reproducible. This only occurs when I have been on a page for 2+ seconds. When I press the page turn button less than 2 seconds after the screen has refreshed, there is no lag of that length for the next refresh. This behavior does not happen on the Kindle 2. I do see a difference between the V5 page turns in quick succession and after a few second pause, but I don't see it as dramatically different as in your case. I agree, though, that is should not be slower than the Kindle 2. I am used to the V3's page turn time, so perhaps it is slow and I have adjusted. It is the time for the "flash" that typically matters because I find that a can anticipate the delay and hit the page advance early.

richough3
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Does it come from reading off the SD memory card or the internal memory?

SDRebel
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
not sure if you saw it, but there was someone else commenting on the speed of page-changing, it was also in the astak subforum. One person's PP was able to change pages in less than a second while the other persons's took about 2 seconds. Not sure why these differences, but it may be seen with only some devices.... I hope I get a speedy one :P (tomorrow :D)

griffonwing
09-03-2009, 11:25 PM
not sure if you saw it, but there was someone else commenting on the speed of page-changing, it was also in the astak subforum. One person's PP was able to change pages in less than a second while the other persons's took about 2 seconds. Not sure why these differences, but it may be seen with only some devices.... I hope I get a speedy one :P (tomorrow :D)

:rofl:Maybe it is the lateness of the hour, but I busted a gut upon reading this. I thought "Isn't it amazing what they can train them to do these days" :thumbsup:

I suppose I am more partial to calling the units a PEZ... it's a bit less Freudian :)

Chiron
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
:rofl:Maybe it is the lateness of the hour, but I busted a gut upon reading this. I thought "Isn't it amazing what they can train them to do these days" :thumbsup:

I suppose I am more partial to calling the units a PEZ... it's a bit less Freudian :)

Wait, then what PP means then? :bookworm:

griffonwing
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Apologies. In America, and possibly other English countries, little boys were commonly taught to call their penis a 'pee pee', or 'wee-wee'. That's one reason why the Nintendo Wii was commonly ridiculed when it was first released here in the US.

So, now here you tell us that someone's PP can change pages in a book in under a second. That, mi amigo, is what I call talent :)

JSWolf
09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
PP = Pocket PRO

griffonwing
09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes. I know. Thank you Wolf.

Chiron
09-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Apologies. In America, and possibly other English countries, little boys were commonly taught to call their penis a 'pee pee', or 'wee-wee'. That's one reason why the Nintendo Wii was commonly ridiculed when it was first released here in the US.

So, now here you tell us that someone's PP can change pages in a book in under a second. That, mi amigo, is what I call talent :)

Hmm, now thats something i need to try :chinscratch::D

Egbert
09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Does it come from reading off the SD memory card or the internal memory?

It makes no difference.

Egbert
09-04-2009, 12:26 AM

That person was me. The person whose Pocket Pro was able to change in <1s was slm (the other person who got it yesterday). I honestly hope it is just a problem with my device (though evidence from the Hanlin V5 users say otherwise). That way, I could just exchange my unit for another.

superstitious
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
griffonwing, you are hilarious! I never thought of it that way. PP as pee pee..lol :)

SDRebel
09-04-2009, 02:55 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

SDRebel
09-04-2009, 02:57 AM
That person was me. The person whose Pocket Pro was able to change in <1s was slm (the other person who got it yesterday). I honestly hope it is just a problem with my device (though evidence from the Hanlin V5 users say otherwise). That way, I could just exchange my unit for another.

oh ok, i wasn't sure and was too lazy to check:p

John F
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Chuck
I notice the delay on my Sony 505 (and I assume I read fairly normally). The original poster seems to noticed the delay also (and he seemed to be describing normal reading usage).

I recently saw a video of the SONY 600 scrolling/zooming a PDF, and I was very impressed with the speed (considering all the comments I've read about how slow eink is).

SDRebel
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!v:(
I just received mine and it also takes about 2 seconds (it's a black one, by the way)

I timed how long it took to change pages for the manual and it consistently timed between 1.75 and 1.85 seconds using my chronometer

AJ Starr
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?

HarryT
09-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Very unlikely. It's almost without doubt due to the device entering a low-power sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity, and then taking a second or two to "wake up" from that when a button is pressed.

DrBen
09-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Very unlikely. It's almost without doubt due to the device entering a low-power sleep mode after a few seconds of inactivity, and then taking a second or two to "wake up" from that when a button is pressed.

That makes sense. Which makes me wonder if a power-wasting workaround would be to have the unit playing MP3 files in the backround, even if at zero volume, such that the unit is active. Would page turns be faster that way? :chinscratch:

Moo Strength
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
The first thing I did was put six copies of the same book, Clive Barker's Books of Blood Volume 1 on my eReader and test the speed change between DOC, HTM, PDF, RGO, RTF, TXT, and a LIT copy of BoB2. I also tested some Brad Thor books that were of different sizes, 200K, 550K, 780K, and 1.1MB, all in LIT format. It seems that size has little impact. A book by Clive Barker in 700K took significantly shorter time than a book within 40K by Thor.

The format issues do seem to make a difference. I'm ordering a class 6 16GB to use for this and my digital camera, I want to see if having a faster Class card makes a difference.

Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6 - transfer data at least 2, 4 and 6MB per second. There are class 10 cards out there but it would be a a bit of overkill for an eReader. You would use Class 10 for a camcorder. Class 10 runs at a max of 22MB/sec, and a minimum of roughly 12MB.

DaleDe
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
The first thing I did was put six copies of the same book, Clive Barker's Books of Blood Volume 1 on my eReader and test the speed change between DOC, HTM, PDF, RGO, RTF, TXT, and a LIT copy of BoB2. I also tested some Brad Thor books that were of different sizes, 200K, 550K, 780K, and 1.1MB, all in LIT format. It seems that size has little impact. A book by Clive Barker in 700K took significantly shorter time than a book within 40K by Thor.

The format issues do seem to make a difference. I'm ordering a class 6 16GB to use for this and my digital camera, I want to see if having a faster Class card makes a difference.

Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6 - transfer data at least 2, 4 and 6MB per second. There are class 10 cards out there but it would be a a bit of overkill for an eReader. You would use Class 10 for a camcorder. Class 10 runs at a max of 22MB/sec, and a minimum of roughly 12MB.

These specifications are for write speed which is for a camera taking pictures, not for read speed so I would be surprised if you see much difference.

Dale

superstitious
09-07-2009, 04:29 AM
FYI..I copied this from the Aztak website. Seems like it only works with class 4 or below SD cards.

Q.Which SD cards can I use?

The 6” EZ Reader is compatible with SD cards up to 4GB in size. The 5” EZ Reader Pocket PRO is compatible with SD cards up to 16GB. The SD cards must be class 4 or below in order to be compatible.

cvkemp
09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I have been able to read a 8 gig card with my EZreader.

chuck

Musicman
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
FYI..I copied this from the Aztak website. Seems like it only works with class 4 or below SD cards.

Q.Which SD cards can I use?

The 6 EZ Reader is compatible with SD cards up to 4GB in size. The 5 EZ Reader Pocket PRO is compatible with SD cards up to 16GB. The SD cards must be class 4 or below in order to be compatible.

I have been able to also read an 8gig card (SDHC Class 6).

ekaser
09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I have been able to read a 8 gig card with my EZreader.

Yes, RobertB said that the 'supported' card size limits are not 'hardware' or 'software' limits, but has to do with 'performance'. When the card gets too big (and potentially has TOO many books on it), it can slow the machine WAY down. I believe it's been said that the 6" will work with up to either 8G or 16G
(I forget which) and the 5" will work with up to 32G. But they may be slow.

cvkemp
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
My normal card I use is the 2 gig card that came with my EZReader.
Chuck
PS I even use it to do firmware updates

emellaich
09-08-2009, 03:44 AM
I decided to go to the source, so I looked up the Jinke web site, and I found a support bulletin board where I posted a question about the slow page turning as well as suggesting a possible solution.

Anyway, there was a response that said:
=====================================
Hi emellaich,

The kernel program will solve this problem.In the future,it will be uploaded to the web site. One of my friends said :)

I don't want to put too much emphasis on this, because it's not clear how much this person represents Jinke, and when the future will be. However, if history is any guide, Jinke delivers updates quickly and it will be sooner rather than later.

MLH

========edit below =====================
OK, I found another note by this same person and it does seem they are an official Jinke rep. I think I will mark the informal phrasing to their being a non-native english speaker.

SDRebel
09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I decided to go to the source, so I looked up the Jinke web site, and I found a support bulletin board where I posted a question about the slow page turning as well as suggesting a possible solution.

Anyway, there was a response that said:
Hi emellaich,

The kernel program will solve this problem.In the future,it will be uploaded to the web site. One of my friends said :)

I don't want to put too much emphasis on this, because it's not clear how much this person represents Jinke, and when the future will be. However, if history is any guide, Jinke delivers updates quickly and it will be sooner rather than later.

MLH

========edit below =====================
OK, I found another note by this same person and it does seem they are an official Jinke rep. I think I will mark the informal phrasing to their being a non-native english speaker.

I hope it does improve, even though "1.8 seconds" is not too bad, I'd like it faster :D

KarateMonkey
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Personally, page turns are slower than I expected, but not horribly so. After a little while reading you get in the habit of hitting the button at the beginning of the last line or so on your page, and that's it. It would be nice if it could be sped up some with a firmware update, but I'd honestly place that behind adding a new font size somewhere between the two smallest for ePub, hyperlinks in ePub, and eReader support.

My wife, who reads incredibly fast, read a book on my Pocket Pro yesterday, and it didn't even bother her much, although I suspect she would place fixing it a little higher on the priority list than I do.

Robertb
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Personally, page turns are slower than I expected, but not horribly so. After a little while reading you get in the habit of hitting the button at the beginning of the last line or so on your page, and that's it. It would be nice if it could be sped up some with a firmware update, but I'd honestly place that behind adding a new font size somewhere between the two smallest for ePub, hyperlinks in ePub, and eReader support.

My wife, who reads incredibly fast, read a book on my Pocket Pro yesterday, and it didn't even bother her much, although I suspect she would place fixing it a little higher on the priority list than I do.

I read all the notes; but one sticks out... the font size is too small at level 1 and too large at level 2. I will again bring this up to the factory.

Two new firmware upgrades are eminent (next few days we expect): one for the 5 inch and one for the 6 inch! We know that hyperlinks and other bugs are being addressed. Perhaps it will also solve this font size issue.

griffonwing
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I love the fact that Astak is on the ball with updating and informing Jinke of issues.

I also love the fact that Jinke has been on the ball with constant firmware upgrades. How many firmware updates have there been since the 6"EZ was shipped? More than I would expect from other more popular companies I would expect.

cvkemp
09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
That is what I love about my EZreader. There is a choice of firmware and also now we have Robert and others listening, this is just going to make the Ezreader line so much better that it will grow and become well known.

Chuck

kennyc
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Could the slow response be related to the people who have not had a chance to charge, and cycle, the battery several times. Remember, as all of you have been stating, you need to charge it for 12 hours, then cycle the charging several times before the batter monitor catches up. Could this be related to the sluggish response?

Shouldn't be related to that.

kennyc
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing with my Sony 505 which I've only had about a week. Just seemed natural to me. I must admit though sometimes I get over-anxious and push the button too soon. :D

Egbert
09-10-2009, 02:18 AM
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends. :thumbsup:

kennyc
09-10-2009, 06:13 AM
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends. :thumbsup:

I'm a bit confused. the only update I see is for the 6" EZ Reader not for the Pocket Pro.

:blink:

Egbert
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm a bit confused. the only update I see is for the 6" EZ Reader not for the Pocket Pro.

:blink:

At theezreader.com, you should see a firmware download for the Pocket Pro under Support->Firmware Download. I just checked again, in case they might have pulled the link, and it's still there.

kennyc
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Hmmmm, I see it as described by you. That site is kinda weird though If I choose Faqs there is a "firmware download" link to a page that only lists the 6" and then you can't seem to get back to that dropdown where the firmware update is listed....

Thanks. I'm not sure what version of SW will be in mine as it was shipped yesterday, I'll probably need to update it once it arrives.

Hmmmmm. Did the download but.....it's an RAR file. What??? is that? It says in the instructions it should be a Zip file??

I'm beginning to question my decision to purchase....

Okay after a bit of googling I had to download winrar to open/extract it. But why in the world isn't it just a zip file like the description/instruction says???

kennyc
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
As far as slowness of paging. I just watched the review at ZD and the paging looks faster than what I see on my Sony 505.

cvkemp
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
The latest firmware has made the page turns on my EzReader (6") seem to be even faster and the one thing that was irriating about the older firmware is gone and that is the having to hit the 0 for the page forward serveral times for it to works is now a thing of the past.

Chuck

Robertb
09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
The latest firmware has made the page turns on my EzReader (6") seem to be even faster and the one thing that was irriating about the older firmware is gone and that is the having to hit the 0 for the page forward serveral times for it to works is now a thing of the past.

Chuck

Dear All:

The factory is listening and I get a feeling from most com ments in many threads that the Firmware Upgrade helped a lot in many ways. It seems to be going over well on the whole.

We still have work to do. I keep hearing that once you take a hyperlink that returning may not be smooth. I will bring that up.

I also hear that the present font percentage sizes helped (100%. 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%) but it might have been nicer to have a 150%.

SDRebel
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM

sweet, I'll get it today :thanks:

SDRebel
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM

so how fast is it now?

SDRebel
09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Dear All:

The factory is listening and I get a feeling from most com ments in many threads that the Firmware Upgrade helped a lot in many ways. It seems to be going over well on the whole.

We still have work to do. I keep hearing that once you take a hyperlink that returning may not be smooth. I will bring that up.

I also hear that the present font percentage sizes helped (100%. 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%) but it might have been nicer to have a 150%.

is there a "release notes" doc for what was fixed with the firmware upgrade? not sure if that is a private doc

KarateMonkey
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Dear All:

Personally I think that the second and third zoom levels, 200% and 250% I guess, are good but something right in between them would be perfect.

Frankly, I would be amazed if there was anybody who didn't think the first zoom level was way too small to be of any use.

What might be ideal is if we could set the base font size in settings, and then move through something like 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% within the reader.

I really like the less intrusive page numbers, and I can see the search being very handy.

ETA: I love that you guys are so responsive. That makes me feel that much better about my purchase.

Robertb
09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Personally I think that the second and third zoom levels, 200% and 250% I guess, are good but something right in between them would be perfect.

Frankly, I would be amazed if there was anybody who didn't think the first zoom level was way too small to be of any use.

What might be ideal is if we could set the base font size in settings, and then move through something like 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% within the reader.

I really like the less intrusive page numbers, and I can see the search being very handy.

ETA: I love that you guys are so responsive. That makes me feel that much better about my purchase.

I try to make Astak and the factory and the MH members all work together. I view it as a win for all. Others will, I am sure, snicker at this. I look at the needs of the members leading to a better device which increases sales. For Astak and the factory to respond and really try to maximize a product will make you and others feel better about their purchase but will also make for a stronger product. I see the Pocket PRO as a landmark device... one that sets a new standard for a new size of eBook Readers. It will likely decide the future in eBook Readers for Astak. IF this truly sells and the rusted wheels of consumerism start to turn... Astak gets the respect of the factory and the purchasers get something that can sell by word of mouth without reservation!

Egbert
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
so how fast is it now?

A very unscientific estimate (done with a stopwatch in one hand and my reader in the other) puts it at about 1.1 seconds (when turning pages normally instead of doing it as fast as you can). Most of that (~.9 seconds) is the screen flashing to black and back and is the normal speed of the Epson controller, so it can't be "fixed". The other part is the very slight wait between pressing the button and the start of the screen refresh. It takes at least .75 seconds for my eyes to refocus back at the top right of the screen, so it's perfectly acceptable to me.

slayda
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I just check the page turn speed for one of my pbooks. It was a little over 1 second. :rolleyes:

Kennyc, make sure you're looking at www.theezreader.com and not www.theezreader.com/html (http://www.theezreader.com/html). The look a lot alike but the www.theezreader.com/html does only have data for the 6".

Robert, y'all need to clean up your site to avoid confusion.

kennyc
09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I just check the page turn speed for one of my pbooks. It was a little over 1 second. :rolleyes:

Kennyc, make sure you're looking at www.theezreader.com and not www.theezreader.com/html (http://www.theezreader.com/html). The look a lot alike but the www.theezreader.com/html does only have data for the 6".

Robert, y'all need to clean up your site to avoid confusion.

Yep, I found it and downloaded it in anticipation of my Pocket Pro's arrival. :2thumbsup

They definitely need to clean up a few things (like that) on the site. :)

Faenad
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I try to make Astak and the factory and the MH members all work together. I view it as a win for all.

Congrats for the fast firmware release RobertB! While I do criticize when I feel that criticism is needed, I appreciate it when a company takes the time to fix their products and improve them.

SDRebel
09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
A very unscientific estimate (done with a stopwatch in one hand and my reader in the other) puts it at about 1.1 seconds (when turning pages normally instead of doing it as fast as you can). Most of that (~.9 seconds) is the screen flashing to black and back and is the normal speed of the Epson controller, so it can't be "fixed". The other part is the very slight wait between pressing the button and the start of the screen refresh. It takes at least .75 seconds for my eyes to refocus back at the top right of the screen, so it's perfectly acceptable to me.

my stop watch used to time it at about 1.8 seconds, so it seems much better now, I still need to do the upgrade though, about to do that now

SDRebel
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM

I see a firmware for the 5" dated 2009-09-10 ... I wonder if it is yet a newer firmware :chinscratch:

pilotbob
09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Hmmmmm. Did the download but.....it's an RAR file. What??? is that? It says in the instructions it should be a Zip file??

Yes, I really dislike .rar. Not that there is anything wrong with it per se... but .ZIP is ubiquitous and supported natively by Windows and Mac and probably Linux.

That said, I highly recommend 7-Zip. It is free, open source software that supports ZIP, RAR, ISO and their on 7z format. http://www.7-zip.org/

The only downside is it is Windows only... wish they would port it to Mac too.

BOb

griffonwing
09-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Yes, I really dislike .rar. Not that there is anything wrong with it per-say... but .ZIP is ubiquitous and supported natively by Windows and Mac and probably Linux.

That said, I highly recommend 7-Zip. It is free, open source software that supports ZIP, RAR, ISO and their on 7z format. http://www.7-zip.org/

BOb

Aye, I used to swear by WinZip, long ago. And for the last 7 years or more, I swore by PowerArchiver. It's a great utility that covers MANY formats, but it's share/trial. After 30 days, it still works, but the longer you use it past the time limit, the more you have to wait until you can extract... such as 5 seconds, 8 seconds, etc...It also became bloated.

I now swear by 7-zip. Great thing about it is that it integrates with your system menu and it a very small plugin. right-click the file, choose Extract To Here, and it extracts the file in it's current directory, no needing to actually open up the program.

kennyc
09-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Yes, I really dislike .rar. Not that there is anything wrong with it per-say... but .ZIP is ubiquitous and supported natively by Windows and Mac and probably Linux.

BOb

Yep, I use 7zip all the time at work (the windows zip utility sucks) but did not have it installed on this (my home) computer at the moment.

DaleDe
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Yep, I use 7zip all the time at work (the windows zip utility sucks) but did not have it installed on this (my home) computer at the moment.

I use 7zip also but would still prefer zip format to rar. The built in windows zip works perfectly fine for me (doesn't suck and doesn't need to be installed) and info zip provides my command line needs.

Dale

stygian
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I just read through this thread, and want to make sure that I have this right...

The initial poster found that page turning for the Pocket Pro was not as fast as he had been led to believe it would be. The director of business development for Astak, who regularly communicates in this forum with the users of the product, had the problem corrected in a couple of days.

Is this is what happened? If so, Astak is not at all like the maker of my current ereader. I almost feel it is my duty to buy the Astak ereader.

I

RichyRich
09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
For a free, multi-archive utility, I use Filzip (www.filzip.com). It supports RAR and can create self-extracting zips.

GA Russell
09-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I just read through this thread, and want to make sure that I have this right...

The initial poster found that page turning for the Pocket Pro was not as fast as he had been led to believe it would be. The director of business development for Astak, who regularly communicates in this forum with the users of the product, had the problem corrected in a couple of days.

Is this is what happened? If so, Astak is not at all like the maker of my current ereader. I almost feel it is my duty to buy the Astak ereader.

Now you see the appeal of Astak! I don't understand the negative attitude some posters here have toward Robert and Astak. I'm hoping to place my order soon.

John F
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM

I
Depends on how you spin it.

Pre-release, it was reported as instaneous. Then (pre-release) it was changed to near-instantaineous. Once it was released, it was reported 1-2 seconds. What was the fix again? Is it now instantaineous?

Morlac
09-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Depends on how you spin it.

Pre-release, it was reported as instaneous. Then (pre-release) it was changed to near-instantaineous. Once it was released, it was reported 1-2 seconds. What was the fix again? Is it now instantaineous?

Now who's spinning? :p

I didn't dig up the old thread, but I seem to recall Astak's Robertb saying that he was clicking through pages on his pre-release model as quickly as possible, and reporting the number of page turns in a specified period. After which we all got into the many ways that this methodology is problematic. Still, I give him points for trying to establish an actual baseline with real measurable details -- something at variance with his usual passionate verbiage.

Clearly Robertb and Astak want everyone to buy their product -- I think we all understand that. Personally, I'm willing to accept a large dose of perspective bias along with the kind of personal attention and eager-to-please attitude that Astak has been showing so far. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Back to the facts at hand -- yes, it seems from the posts that there has been an attempt to address the delayed page turn. Exactly how much it may have been improved is less clear to me. Sounds like people are saying it's down to 1.1 seconds or so. Once mine is delivered, I'll be happy to try to provide my first-hand impressions if they are still relevant and needed.

But again, personally, I give everyone involved credit for listening to the user-reports and making a good-faith effort to do something constructive about them in a timely way!

HarryT
09-13-2009, 02:12 PM

What seems much more probable is that Jinke (the device/firmware manufacturer) simply happened to release a new firmware in that timeframe. With the best will in the world, no company can release new firmware versions that quickly.

kennyc
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
What seems much more probable is that Jinke (the device/firmware manufacturer) simply happened to release a new firmware in that timeframe. With the best will in the world, no company can release new firmware versions that quickly.

True, true.

I had a similar thing happen recently though with Corel Painter 11. :)

kacir
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM

I didn't dig up the old thread, but I seem to recall Astak's Robertb saying that he was clicking through pages on his pre-release model as quickly as possible, and reporting the number of page turns in a specified period.
Go ahead and dig the oldest posts by RobertB with "Epson" string.

RobertB really *was* touting the new Epson controller as having "instantaneous page turns" for quite a long time. I want to believe that by that time he was simply repeating something that was said by a factory representative and translated from Chinese by somebody that did not understand context. Once he got the first prototype of PocketPro into his hand, he changed his script.

I think that the current speed is not a problem. I am satisfied with the speed of my PRS-500 and judging from various video reviews PocketPro is indeed somewhat faster. It is still faster turning page in a paper book. JET ... I personally would not dare to call it instantaneous.

John F
09-13-2009, 04:40 PM

I didn't dig up the old thread, but I seem to recall Astak's Robertb saying that he was clicking through pages on his pre-release model as quickly as possible, and reporting the number of page turns in a specified period. After which we all got into the many ways that this methodology is problematic. Still, I give him points for trying to establish an actual baseline with real measurable details -- something at variance with his usual passionate verbiage.

Clearly Robertb and Astak want everyone to buy their product -- I think we all understand that. Personally, I'm willing to accept a large dose of perspective bias along with the kind of personal attention and eager-to-please attitude that Astak has been showing so far. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Back to the facts at hand -- yes, it seems from the posts that there has been an attempt to address the delayed page turn. Exactly how much it may have been improved is less clear to me. Sounds like people are saying it's down to 1.1 seconds or so. Once mine is delivered, I'll be happy to try to provide my first-hand impressions if they are still relevant and needed.

But again, personally, I give everyone involved credit for listening to the user-reports and making a good-faith effort to do something constructive about them in a timely way!
Yes, my memory failed me about holding down the button and timing. But I still have not heard Robertb say what the time should be for page turns? This thread is now five pages, and how many times has Robertb replied? How many times were specific to the problem?

Why isn't Robertb saying something like: "Have you seen the video of how fast the new Sony 600 can scroll around a page? There no reason we shouldn't be able to turn pages in .2 seconds. I'm not going to let the factory off the hook so easy, I'll demand that we get the page turns that fast. After all, by god, we're the company that listens to our customers. If we can't get it done, I'll gladly issue refunds (including shipping costs). And by the way I'm in the process of updating my blog with the current correct times for page turns, but you know what it is like getting those Taiwan factory web guys to do anything quickly."

:)

kennyc
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
And who cares how many angels are on the head of a pin anyway. Sheesh!

cvkemp
09-13-2009, 05:58 PM
John F
do not knock it if you have tried it. In other words if you haven't tried or played with the EzReader Pro do not knock it. I do not going around knocking Sony's because I do not have one. I did not get the Sony only for one reason I had friends at work that said they wished they had gotten something with more formats.

Chuck

PS I love my EZreader Why because it fits my needs. I always tell anyone that if the shoe fits wear it but do not put anyone down for their choice until you have tried it.

Morlac
09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, my memory failed me about holding down the button and timing. But I still have not heard Robertb say what the time should be for page turns? This thread is now five pages, and how many times has Robertb replied? How many times were specific to the problem?

Why isn't Robertb saying something like: "Have you seen the video of how fast the new Sony 600 can scroll around a page? There no reason we shouldn't be able to turn pages in .2 seconds. I'm not going to let the factory off the hook so easy, I'll demand that we get the page turns that fast. After all, by god, we're the company that listens to our customers. If we can't get it done, I'll gladly issue refunds (including shipping costs). And by the way I'm in the process of updating my blog with the current correct times for page turns, but you know what it is like getting those Taiwan factory web guys to do anything quickly."

:)

I don't mean this in a personal way, John. I've found many of your posts to be thoughtful and interesting. That's why I'm a bit surprised at how you've chosen to phrase the last few comments -- tweaking others for spinning by putting your own spin on the matter, for example.

As for why Robertb doesn't say the above, I suspect it's because he would like to continue having his job! Denigrating your own product and your factory supplier in a public forum is simply foolish and self-destructive.

That said, I do think that you conveyed Robertb's can-do, enthusiastic attitude squarely -- the overall impression of "I want to make the Pocket Pro the best that it can be and I want every customer to be as happy as I can reasonably make them" seems to be accurate. Why, then, should we mock it?

Also, that said, the overall issue of page-turn time is a big one for me. It was one of the reasons I resisted buying an e-reader for so long. Robertb's many statements about the Epson controller and the faster page turns did, in fact, get my attention. And I would be very upset indeed to find that I've been misled about that. I dare say, since I've preordered a Pocket Pro and (based on your sig/profile) you have not, that I have far greater cause to be angry if that were to happen! However, as stated, it's a problem that seems to have been addressed quickly and effectively -- long before most people will ever get their Pocket Pros.

Nobody is saying that the Sony 600 isn't fast. Perhaps in Robertb's secret heart he fears that the 600 is faster than the PP will ever be. But I would also tend to believe that months ago, when he was talking up its "near-instantaneous" page turns, he honestly felt that the PP was a significant leap ahead of the devices he could compare it to. I doubt very much that Sony saw fit to send him a test copy of the 600 or taunt him with a video of it flipping pages! (Though I must admit, that would've been quite funny to witness!) :chinscratch:

John F
09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
cvkemp and Morlac, bottom line, if your happy with your device (along with the multitude of other owners), that is what counts.

As for why Robertb doesn't say the above, I suspect it's because he would like to continue having his job! Denigrating your own product and your factory supplier in a public forum is simply foolish and self-destructive.

IMO, what I posted (that you quoted), isn't deingrating his own product. If another similar product can do something, and your product cannot, then it seems to be a very strong indicator that your product can be improved.

As for denigrating your factory supplier, I believe that Robertb has done that in the past (when appropriate).

That said, I do think that you conveyed Robertb's can-do, enthusiastic attitude squarely -- the overall impression of "I want to make the Pocket Pro the best that it can be and I want every customer to be as happy as I can reasonably make them" seems to be accurate. Why, then, should we mock it?
I mocked it because I'm holding him to a high standard (maybe unjustly). I still can't tell if Robertb is being sincere, or if most of it is just sales pitches. This is just IMO, I'm sure many people feel differently.

Nobody is saying that the Sony 600 isn't fast. Perhaps in Robertb's secret heart he fears that the 600 is faster than the PP will ever be. But I would also tend to believe that months ago, when he was talking up its "near-instantaneous" page turns, he honestly felt that the PP was a significant leap ahead of the devices he could compare it to. I doubt very much that Sony saw fit to send him a test copy of the 600 or taunt him with a video of it flipping pages! (Though I must admit, that would've been quite funny to witness!)
I honestly don't think the 600 is faster then the PocketPro. I think this may be a missed opportunity for Astak customers, if Robertb/Astak's goal is to make the PocketPro "the best it can be". The hardware looks very similar (400mhz, Epson controller). Why not look into it. I haven't heard any comments about the 600 being blazingly fast at page turns. Why not raise the bar? Provide an option, don't go into sleep mode between page turns. Provide an option for how long before the device goes into sleep mode (after a page turn). Provide an option that screen only does the black thing every X number of page turns...

I may post what seems like some mean spirited comments, but if I do, it is because I feel that Astak living up to their lofty goals. If someone posts that PP is crashing after long use, just don't wave it off/explain it away on a low charged battery, it may mean that resources are not being freed and causing crashes. If you are touting the abilities of a feature, also give the down sides/incompatibilities so users can make a logical choice. If your going to say it supports "up to 20 formats", give a comprehensive list somewhere.

kennyc
09-14-2009, 09:49 AM

I honestly don't think the 600 is faster then the PocketPro. .....

I may post what seems like some mean spirited comments, but if I do, it is because I feel that Astak living up to their lofty goals.....

If you are touting the abilities of a feature, also give the down sides/incompatibilities so users can make a logical choice. If your going to say it supports "up to 20 formats", give a comprehensive list somewhere.

John, "thinking" is not a measurement. The page turning is a feature which CAN be measured. That is if we want to. I personally "think" there is WAY too much emphasis on this particular feature. My 505 may turn pages slowly, but I really don't care. It does the job and once I adjusted to it -- pushing the button as I finish reading the last sentence -- it is not bother whatsoever.

There is no reason to be "mean spirited" -- if there are issues, problems, differences of opinion, it's easy enough to simply state them without the mean spirit.

As far as formats there is a list on the website, in the specifications or features.

As far as presenting the sides/good/bad I agree and in addition as has been mentioned above, if you are going to do this it's probably a good idea to actually own or at least have significant hands-on experience with the device as opposed to speculating and expressing your thoughts based on what you've read or someone else's experience.

cvkemp
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I really do not understand why it is so important that the pages turn so fast, what are all of you speed readers. Reading is something that you do for relaxation or for information you need for you job. How fast the page turns is not that important what is important is the fact that I do not have to lug around 100 lbs of books any more. What I have seeing here is a punch of jealous owners of other ebook readers trying to put down the EZreader Pro why can we not grow up in the world.

Chuck

RichyRich
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Given that the Epson controller is a newer design and that the processor speed is doubled over the previous generation, you would expect a faster page turn. Of course, it couldn't be as instantaneous as an LCD because power has to be applied to change the E-Ink display while an LCD constantly has power going to it, so an E-Ink display will most likely always have a screen refresh time. Just from what I've seen of videos so far, the page change is nothing to be concerned about as it is now. If it took 10 seconds or so per page, then that's another matter entirely.

wallcraft
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
The page turning is a feature which CAN be measured. Yes, although as usual it isn't as easy as it first seems. For many devices on the market we can now measure exactly the same ebook using exactly the same underlying software (mobile Adobe Digital Editions). For the Kindle we can use the same ebook in MOBI instead of ePub, or on the KDX we could use a PDF (remember, it is using mobile ADE for PDFs). However, the problem is that the Pocket Pro isn't slow if you repeatedly turn the page - it is slow (or slower) if you wait a few seconds between page turns. In this mode you can know a slow page turn when you see one but it is harder to measure page turn performance.

I think this is worth taking further. We put page turn speed on the E-book Reader Matrix (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix), but it isn't from a standardized test. The only numbers that have firm reports behind them that I know of are those from iRex, which reported on the page turn times on the DR1000S and the iLiad. It would be reasonable to assume that iRex quoted best case times, but they do correctly indicate that the iLiad has a slower page turn than most devices. A standardized test would probably have to be something like: turn the page 10 times as fast as possible, so it would not catch real-life performance but again best case performance.

Note that concentrating on page turn speed can also have unforeseen consequences. I have seen reports that the Kindle 2 has a fast page turn because it does not always do a "page invert" step. This gives fast page turns at the expense of more ghosting.

AJ Starr
09-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I really do not understand why it is so important that the pages turn so fast, what are all of you speed readers. Reading is something that you do for relaxation or for information you need for you job. How fast the page turns is not that important what is important is the fact that I do not have to lug around 100 lbs of books any more. What I have seeing here is a punch of jealous owners of other ebook readers trying to put down the EZreader Pro why can we not grow up in the world.

Chuck

Speaking as an avid reader who has just about ruined her eyesight from reading without letting up, REMEMBER: Every so often, let you eyes rest by focusing on a far distant object, then a close object, and back and forth a few times. Otherwise you will be wearing as thick of glasses as I've had to do since third grade.

Keep the device at a comfortable focus distance, and take breaks.

AJ

kennyc
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Speaking as an avid reader who has just about ruined her eyesight from reading without letting up, REMEMBER: Every so often, let you eyes rest by focusing on a far distant object, then a close object, and back and forth a few times. Otherwise you will be wearing as thick of glasses as I've had to do since third grade.

Keep the device at a comfortable focus distance, and take breaks.

AJ

Great advice!

dmikov
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Chuck

I can only speak for myself on this matter, but it is second most important spec for me, second only to contrast.
Yes, I can speed read, but it has nothing to do with not liking to see page refresh taking 2 second. It's hurts my eyes to see black flashing, spidering of fonts etc. Before ordering Pocket Pro, I was all about buying JetBook, because of shorter page refresh and only promise of "almost" instantaneous page turns made by Astak, made me go with Pocket Pro instead.
So I it will be quite a disappointment if 2 sec will be true.

cvkemp
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I have the Ezreader and it is slower than the pro and I only see a very quick flash when the page changes and it never goes black but will go the color of the background of the reader but it is very quick and to be honest i can not even flip the page of a paper book as fast. Now granded I am 61 and my eyes are not the best but it does not bother me. I do catch myself hitting the next page button as I read the last sentence on the page.
chuck

John F
09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
... My 505 may turn pages slowly, but I really don't care. It does the job and once I adjusted to it -- pushing the button as I finish reading the last sentence -- it is not bother whatsoever.
I have a 505 also. While the page turning is "acceptable" I wish it would be quicker. I also push the page turn a little early, and once in a while, I need to go back a page. Sure it works "just fine", but why settle for this on a newer device?

John, "thinking" is not a measurement. The page turning is a feature which CAN be measured. That is if we want to. I personally "think" there is WAY too much emphasis on this particular feature.

Sure you can measure it. That is great and very helpful, everyone will decide if it is quick enough for their needs, there will be questions about how the measurements were taken, Is twice as fast really necessary?... Why not look at it from a different angle? Did you see the video of the 600 scrolling a PDF? Doesn't it beg the question: "if you can scroll at a rate of 10 frames a second, with no black flashing and no appreciable ghosting, then why put up with 1-2 second page turns."

Why not raise this with the factory, instead of just saying this is the measurement.

As far as formats there is a list on the website, in the specifications or features.
My appoligies, I didn't expect to see it under highlights, I expected it under specifications.

It says "20+ open formats", and then lists 21 formats. So it supports 21? RTF is missing, so it supports 22? The list is incomplete. Where can a I get a comprehensive list?

The highlights page lists TTS. So TTS works with all formats?

The highlights page list "rotating display"** Where can I get a list of what formats can be rotated?

I (and many other potential customers) could weed through a ton of posts, to find information for the above, but I would rather have as much information as possible in one spot.

cvkemp
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
John F
That is ok I kind of had my dander up this morning. I had a lot planned over the weekend that did not get done.

Chuck

gollu
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
It really is somewhat subjective to say "slow" or "fast" page refresh. So IMO, we can only compare the page refresh to that of some existing device.

If anyone has two or more devices, one of which is the 5" ezreader, please have a video of page turning on both. I'd recommend putting them one by the other on a table, one hand has the camera/phone doing the video, the other hand pressing simultaneously the page turn buttons on the devices(probably easier to be done with someone to give a hand).

DaleDe
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a 505 also. While the page turning is "acceptable" I wish it would be quicker. I also push the page turn a little early, and once in a while, I need to go back a page. Sure it works "just fine", but why settle for this on a newer device?

Sure you can measure it. That is great and very helpful, everyone will decide if it is quick enough for their needs, there will be questions about how the measurements were taken, Is twice as fast really necessary?... Why not look at it from a different angle? Did you see the video of the 600 scrolling a PDF? Doesn't it beg the question: "if you can scroll at a rate of 10 frames a second, with no black flashing and no appreciable ghosting, then why put up with 1-2 second page turns."

Why not raise this with the factory, instead of just saying this is the measurement.

My appoligies, I didn't expect to see it under highlights, I expected it under specifications.

It says "20+ open formats", and then lists 21 formats. So it supports 21? RTF is missing, so it supports 22? The list is incomplete. Where can a I get a comprehensive list?

The highlights page lists TTS. So TTS works with all formats?

The highlights page list "rotating display"** Where can I get a list of what formats can be rotated?

I (and many other potential customers) could weed through a ton of posts, to find information for the above, but I would rather have as much information as possible in one spot.

What you want is the wiki Hanlin V5. I will be generating a format specific list of features at some point as I think this can be confusing. In particular the rotating display is a confusing function since it is implemented as a command in some formats and automatic as a zoom feature in other formats and not supported at all in MOBI. TTS is not supported in all formats, more specifically ADE ones. User fonts is another that can be confusing.

Dale

jodeum
11-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I've had the PP for two weeks now and thought I would post a couple comments on it. For reference I have installed the latest firmware from the website.

The speed of the page turns seems to be relative to the file type. The second day after I got it I wanted to find out which format would be the best for most of my reading. So I took three different books that I happened to have in both text and epub format, their sizes (in text) were 36kb, 742kb and 1.6mb. I then converted each of those text versions to the following formats; doc, rtf, pdb, pdf, and html. I put a copy of all of them, including the epub, on both the reader and the SD card (8GB Sdhc class 6). After doing a very unscientific test of loading each one and turning the page button, the scroll wheel on the right side, as fast as i can for one minute and counting the page turns. I noticed a general difference in that the doc format had fewer page turns and the pdf had the least of all (8 page turns less than text). Html, pdb, txt and epub I didn't notice much difference. No difference between the device and the card.

One thing that did stand out is the rtf format for the bigger file. The 1.6mb text file after being converted to rtf was over 3mb. This file locked up the device after a few page turns, I had to restart the machine (and reset it once). That happened when I went into the book and immediately started turning the page. If I went into that file and waited a minute then turned the pages I didn't have that problem. It's a way around the problem but for me it means I will never use rtf format for any large file.

Now overall, since I was happy with the speed of the txt, html, pdb, epub and to some extent rtf I started looking at the features available in each. For some reason text versions don't seem to retain bookmarks and last page read info if you exit the book to look at some other file and then go back into the original. So that didn't overly impress me. There's also some annoyances in other formats, some rotate when you go to the largest font selection, some rotate through the menu command. I don't see why that has to be. Some don't have TTS, and so on, you get the idea. The type I personally have settled on is the epub. It has more text size selections (all 5), it has TTS, I can rotate the screen in any of the font sizes through the menu, the bookmarks seem to be retained and it remembers the last page read when reentering the book, and it supports catalog (direct chapter access if the book has them).

One last note for people using doc or rtf file formats. Something the manual and FAQ on the web page does not tell you is the saved font size makes a difference. In other words if you save the file in MS Word, or OpenOffice in 10pt font size and then transfer that to the EZ Reader it will be unreadably small on the screen. But if you save that same file with 22pt font size it will be about the average text size as a txt format file. And further, saved at 72pt, it will be bigger than any text size that can normally be attained in other formats.