Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
adobe pro rtf wont work on 505?

i converted a pdf into rtf with the adobe pro and the 505 is not recognizing it...
converted the rtf with calibre into another rtf, the 505 is reading it, but there are no pictures anymore and the formatting is also destroyed

do you have any idea, why the 505 isnt reading a rtf file converted with adobe pro?
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Adobe Acrobat doesn't do a very good job of writing out a .rtf --- far better to get the original source document --- if that's not an option, try one of the third-party conversion tools --- I've use Solid PDF in the past and it works well, preserving images and layout, though I've never converted such a file to a .lrf using Sony's software.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you have MS Word, load the RTF with Word and resave it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Floeee
Groupie

ok thx for your help, will try this now
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Floeee
Groupie

after resaving my rtf doc, the 505 wont read it

solid pdf makes only white pages, is that because of the trial??

anyone got another hint for converting pdf?
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Try one thing more:

Resave your PDF to RTF in Adobe Pro.
Open the RTF in word and save it as a WORD file.
Open the WORD file and save it as a RTF file.
Open the RTF in your 505 and see what happens.

If it works, probably you will have a very small font size in the 505, just change it in word to 16 or 18 and before saving the final version.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Floeee
Groupie

straange, when i try to save the .doc as a .rtf again
word says, that the file or the path isnt available
tried another path... and hell i want this file, not any other ^^
Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Change the filename; add _2 to the end or something like that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Floeee
Groupie

tried also changing the filenames... but ok i will try again with new filename AND new path

edit: tried also on another disc... path isn available... very strange, never had this problem

Last edited by Floeee; 08-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Strange!

Anyway if you want, I can try to convert the file for you as I have word (2003 and 2007 available) and a 505.

Best regards,
Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Floeee
Groupie

do you have also adobe pro for conversion into rtf?

then you can download the pdf source for my rtf here

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/ezine/aug09_issue.html
Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi

You really know how to choose them do you not?

OK, we are talking of a very detailed, really heavy formatted pdf magazine!

Anyway: you are perfectly right, saving from Acrobat 8 Pro into an rtf and one gets a 51 Mbyte file (the original pdf is 31 Mbytes).
Loaded the file into the 505 and it’s not recognized as you say.

Now testing.

What I advise in the post above gets an impractical 471 Mbyte rtf file! Amazing!

Now, I went further and created a lrf file (with calibre) from the original pdf and not the rtf file as you did.
The result is a 5.4 Mbyte lrf ebook, who has images but where of it’s formatting is completely lost and most of the times one does not know where the next place in the article is anymore… or if you want a completely useless file.

Soo… to finish with the testing…

I do not know what your intent is, but what I have found is that the initial pdf magazine file is the best one to be seen in the 505.
Most of the pages are perfectly readable in portrait mode, it retains all the formatting and the beautiful images and when the text is too small, choosing the landscape/2 halfs page mode resolves completely the problem.

Best regards,
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Floeee
Groupie

to me, the portrait mode is too small
landscape mode would work, but i have other pdf (no magazines, but they lose also their formating) where you arent able to read the text
but sometimes in the landscape mode, the text is also not readable to me :/
Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru

Hi

You are perfectly right and yes it’s not just you, with those pdf’s we all can not read them comfortably or even at all.

For this one, I think it’s acceptable reading it in it’s original format and in landscape.

For others, well you will see in the forums zillions of posts about it, one can not read normaly A4/Letter/bigger formatted pdf’s in an 6” screen reader.
For that you will need a reader with a bigger screen - currently the Irex DR1000S or the Kindle DX are the unique options - or a tabletpc/laptop/desktop.

Converting from pdf into anything else is a pain and there is no “direct” conversion that does it well all the time.
I myself advise nowadays that the best thing is to ocr the pdf (if it’s not protected), save it into the format one wants and then clean and correct the formatting/recognition errors that happen in the ocr process until is acceptable.
This is a hellish and hard process and one should go into it juts if the final result - getting the original pdf formatting and file into another more friendly format - is worthy the hours/days of work it’s need to be put into it .

Best regards,
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Floeee
Groupie

ok thats good to hear and an explanation what i was looking for long time

so is the screen of the irex iliad 2. edition as big as the one from the dr1000s ??

that could be an alternative
laptop is to unhandy (already got a 15")
kindle is not available in my land (austria)

or i will change to prs600 with zooming, dunno

but thank you very much for this conclusion