View Full Version : How to make ePub encrypted?

bhuvana786
08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I've created ePub using XHTML/CSS manually without using any conversion program. How to make it DRM protected or encrypted?

EowynCarter
08-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Why would you want to do that ?

AprilHare
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Why would you want to do that ?
To make money, of course.

JSWolf
08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
You would be best to contact Adobe on their DRM for ePub. But why bother? We can already strip it.

Jellby
08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
You could zip it with a password... :rolleyes:

Or you could have a look at the specification (http://www.idpf.org/ocf/ocf1.0/download/ocf10.htm), section 3.5.5

wallcraft
08-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think it is possible for an individual to add Adobe DRM to an ePub. You will have to find a (self) publishing house that does this for you. Scribd was going to support DRMed ePub, but currently all I see is DRMed PDF. You may want to start with them (80% to the author).

AnemicOak
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
You can set up your own Adobe Content Server, but prices start at $6,500 for the software (of course this isn't practical in most instances)...
https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/ContentServer&distributionMethod=FULL&nr=0#view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/ContentServer&store=OLS-US&loc=en_us

Pricing details...
Initial fee
Adobe Content Server 4 is available for the initial fee of $6500, with no limits on the amount of content you can protect and distribute or on the number of CPUs on which you can install the server. The initial fee includes the server software, the first year of access to the Adobe digital signing service, and maintenance, support and upgrades as provided for by the License Terms and Conditions for Content Server 4.

Adobe digital signing service fee
The initial fee also includes a one-year service plan that enables you to access Adobe's digital signing service as well as receive Adobe Content Server software upgrades, maintenance and support as provided for by the License Terms and Conditions. Customers are required to renew this service plan every year for $1500.

Transactional fee
In addition to the initial fee and signing service plan, Content Server customers are charged a small fee per transaction. Whenever you sell or loan content, a request is made from Adobe Content Server 4 to an Adobe License Service for a digitally signed license. Once signed and returned to your server, the license and protected PDF or EPUB file are available to your customer.

Whenever a transaction is signed, a small license fee is charged to your account. The amount depends on the type of license you select, of which there are two types:

• A permanent license gives the user access to the signed content forever. For each permanent license, you are charged $.22.

• An expiring license lasts between 0 and 60 days, after which time the content is no longer available to the end user. For each expiring license, you are charged $.08.

These charges are billed on a monthly basis to the credit card used in the Adobe Store for purchasing the initial fee.

Solutions provider
Solutions providers and companies that use Adobe Content Server 4 to enable retailers, libraries and others to distribute content may qualify for discounts. For more information, please contact contentserver_sales@adobe.com.

I suppose one could develop their own DRM for an ePub instead of using Adobe's method, of course it's likely few would be able to actually read it.

Amalthia
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
You can set up your own Adobe Content Server, but prices start at $6,500 for the software (of course this isn't practical in most instances)...
https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/ContentServer&distributionMethod=FULL&nr=0#view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/ContentServer&store=OLS-US&loc=en_us

Pricing details...

I suppose one could develop their own DRM for an ePub instead of using Adobe's method, of course it's likely few would be able to actually read it.

I now know why they charge so much money for ebooks. 6,500 dollars! for a piece of software that people have already cracked??? What a rip off!

kovidgoyal
08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I now know why they charge so much money for ebooks. 6,500 dollars! for a piece of software that people have already cracked??? What a rip off!

Oh it's hilarious. By sellling DRM Adobe not only is not guaranteeing anything to anyone using the DRM, they are actually locking people into using their software to download and read books, thereby establishing a handy little monopoly. And they have the gall to charge for it on top of that.

But the greatest irony is that publishers are actually silly enough to pay :) Reminds me off the famous story about Kalidasa, who once tried to saw off a tree branch, while sitting on it!

bhuvana786
08-21-2009, 03:33 AM
The reason for asking this is, just in case if publisher requested me to provide DRM ePub

Abecedary
08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
The reason for asking this is, just in case if publisher requested me to provide DRM ePub

If the publisher is insisting on the book being released as a DRM'd ePub, then DRMing it (licensing the content server, etc) is their responsibility. That's part of the publishing process, and one of the many things the publisher should handle.

AnemicOak
08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
If the publisher is insisting on the book being released as a DRM'd ePub, then DRMing it (licensing the content server, etc) is their responsibility. That's part of the publishing process, and one of the many things the publisher should handle.

It's generally something the distributor (OverDrive, LightningSource, etc.) is going to do, not the publisher.

Abecedary
08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
It's generally something the distributor (OverDrive, LightningSource, etc.) is going to do, not the publisher.

Fair point, but I would still lump the entire distribution end of things as something a publisher would and should handle.

pking36330
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I've created ePub using XHTML/CSS manually without using any conversion program. How to make it DRM protected or encrypted?

All you do is type this at the end of the text before creating the PDF:

[invoke_ePub_DRM_????] (Enter your four digit PIN in place of the ????)

Yeah...that should work. Then send it to all of us here at MR without the PIN and see if we can open it.

pking36330
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
All you do is type this at the end of the text before creating the PDF:

[invoke_ePub_DRM_????] (Enter your four digit PIN in place of the ????)

Yeah...that should work. Then send it to all of us here at MR without the PIN and see if we can open it.

BTW...if you believe that will work, I want to talk with you about the 85,000 gallons of land I have for sale a few miles east of Miami.

Jellby
08-21-2009, 07:22 PM
You would be best to contact Adobe on their DRM for ePub.

Bhuvana never mentioned Adobe :D He/she could use whatever encrypting method and key supported by encryption.xml

Chang
10-19-2009, 06:10 AM
What other possibilities there are for encrypting methods that doesn't require purchasing anything but still work in reading devices that support ePub?

pdurrant
10-19-2009, 11:40 AM
None. Until/unless B&N finally come out with their own ePub DRM system. And even then it'll only work on B&N readers.

What other possibilities there are for encrypting methods that doesn't require purchasing anything but still work in reading devices that support ePub?

AnemicOak
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM

If you want them to work on current readers, none. Fictionwise/eReader/Barnes & Noble are rumored to be working on their own version of ePub DRM and of course anyone else can develop their own DRM for it too, but it won't work on the current crop of readers at this point.

Ankh
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh it's hilarious. By sellling DRM Adobe not only is not guaranteeing anything to anyone using the DRM, they are actually locking people into using their software to download and read books, thereby establishing a handy little monopoly. And they have the gall to charge for it on top of that.

But the greatest irony is that publishers are actually silly enough to pay :) Reminds me off the famous story about Kalidasa, who once tried to saw off a tree branch, while sitting on it!

C'mon, we should (perversely) cast Adobe into bronze for it. A bunch of techno-dinosaurs entrenched in the oldE publishing houses NEEDS that false sense of security, there would be way less e-books without it.

All in good time. A few years later somebody will explain to them that, no, DRM was not a bullet-proof protection that they thought is needed, but yes, they made money despite of it. Or because of it.

We all LOVE Adobe DRM now that it is broken, don't we?