View Full Version : ePub for Palm OS?

Oh, Why Not?
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there an ePub reader software for Palm OS. I still read on my various Palm PDAs and my Centro. :help:

igorsk
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Nope. There is 1 (one) reader for PocketPC if that helps any. Also, Mobipocket reader and creator can convert EPUBs to mobi.

Oh, Why Not?
08-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you igorsk. I was afraid that would be the answer. I just don't know if it would be a simple or difficult thing to program compared to other OSs. It would be a useful thing to keep the momentum going.

adullday
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I think the palm OS (at least the classic version) can only handle special palm database files (the .prc and .pdb files) in its memory so the epub would either have to be modified, or read from external storage. But if you have Internet access you could read your epubs through the bookworm (http://bookworm.oreilly.com) site, although I don't know if you'd want to upload commercially purchased ebooks there.

I've just been taking my DRM-free epubs and converting them to mobipocket, and if I have the time, converting them by hand to the eReader format. (I like the eReader software better!)

mtravellerh
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I think the palm OS (at least the classic version) can only handle special palm database files (the .prc and .pdb files) in its memory so the epub would either have to be modified, or read from external storage. But if you have Internet access you could read your epubs through the bookworm (http://bookworm.oreilly.com) site, although I don't know if you'd want to upload commercially purchased ebooks there.

This is, of course, not right. There are all kinds of ereaders for a lot of different formats for Palm (including a nicely working PDF reader) Online reading of ePubs is not possible on Palms. Not in any way. The Palm OS has nothing at all to do with the ebook formats and it's not possible to read any books without any additional software.

adullday
08-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Actually Bookworm (the online epub reader) works fine on a Palm if it has Internet access. I've been skimming through an epub copy of At the Earth's Core with my Palm Centro via Bookworm. It's still awkward compared to using eReader or Mobipocket, and I doubt I'll be using it much, but it does work.

I was making the point that the epubs (like pdf's) would have to be read from external storage since they aren't in the palm database format. The point is moot since most Palm pilots have external capability anyway, and most users have flash cards.

With epub the issue might not be with the format, but with the performance. Many Palm OS devices are pretty low on horsepower, and epub is known to be very resource hungry. Of course since no one (at least to my knowledge) has written an epub reader for the Palm OS there's no way to test it.

webOS is, of course, a whole new ball game.

trevgriff
01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
try the program titled popelli reader

LessPaul
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Popelli Reader is for the Palm Pre (WebOS) and the original poster is looking for a solution on a PalmOS device.

radius
01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
What I would do is unzip the epub and then use Plucker on the embedded HTML files...

Sullivan
01-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Radius is right, you cannot do it without some sort of conversion. no support at all (except for the Pre)

Seabound
03-22-2010, 11:51 PM
So I guess in principle it's possible to create a PalmOS app to read ePub (unencrypted) on PalmOS devices. What would be the starting point to create this software, assuming that a proficient programmer who is not familiar with the PalmOS would take on this project for fun? Is there an equivalent of a PalmOS "SDK", or maybe even something simpler?

charleski
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
So I guess in principle it's possible to create a PalmOS app to read ePub (unencrypted) on PalmOS devices. What would be the starting point to create this software, assuming that a proficient programmer who is not familiar with the PalmOS would take on this project for fun? Is there an equivalent of a PalmOS "SDK", or maybe even something simpler?
http://mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html
http://www.accessdevnet.com/index.php/Core-Garnet-OS-SDK/View-category.html

Good luck

I'm sure there are loads of other old PalmOS resources lying around on the web if you do a search.

wayrad
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
So I guess in principle it's possible to create a PalmOS app to read ePub (unencrypted) on PalmOS devices. What would be the starting point to create this software, assuming that a proficient programmer who is not familiar with the PalmOS would take on this project for fun? Is there an equivalent of a PalmOS "SDK", or maybe even something simpler?I'm sure it's possible, but it'd be a labor of love at this point in PalmOS's long decline. :(

macr0t0r
03-26-2010, 01:55 AM
For what it's worth, Calibre will happily convert your non-DRM ePubs to an eReader *.pdb file:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

- Jim

Seabound
03-26-2010, 02:11 AM
http://mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html
http://www.accessdevnet.com/index.php/Core-Garnet-OS-SDK/View-category.html

Good luck

I'm sure there are loads of other old PalmOS resources lying around on the web if you do a search.

Thanks for the links. I've browsed around and it seems the underlying language is C.

I'm sure it's possible, but it'd be a labor of love at this point in PalmOS's long decline. :(

Yes, of course, a fun project if there is time, and the results would be good. And we also know, of course, that there is calibre. But it would be nice not to keep converting to be able to read on a particular device. It's also insurance for when the mobi format completely disappears from the face of the earth. I actually prefer reading on my Sony Clie than on my iPod Touch.

In any case creating an app to read ePub on PalmOS shouldn't be that hard for someone experienced with PalmOS. After all, ePub is basically html and, surely, there is already an app which renders html on PalmOS. It would just require some tweaking to get it to read ePub.

radius
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
In any case creating an app to read ePub on PalmOS shouldn't be that hard for someone experienced with PalmOS. After all, ePub is basically html and, surely, there is already an app which renders html on PalmOS. It would just require some tweaking to get it to read ePub.

I don't know of any free software project that renders HTML on a Palm device, let alone HTML + CSS.

The closed source Palm web browser (whether the Palm one or Netfront) is not embeddable into another app, nor available as a library that you can access separately.

The only open project which is close to what you want is Plucker, but they do desktop conversion into an easier to render form for the handheld, and doesn't parse it on the device itself (which you would need for epub).

Mobipocket does parse HTML on the device, but it is a relatively simple dialect compared to what you are likely to find in epubs (and no CSS).

I think it would be quite a lot of work to port something like WebKit to Palm because of the 64k memory issue.

If you don't like mobi as a format, you can always choose ereader or plucker.

But if you are only looking at this for fun, then don't let me discourage you :D At least the tools are free and a used device is cheap!

Seabound
03-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I had just gotten through "Hello World" on a PalmOS simulator when I saw this press release from ACCESS. Apparently, there is already an ePub reader using NetFront:

http://www.access-company.com/news/press/ACCESS/2009/20091221_1_epub.html

I went browsing in ACCESS's Japan site which has more interesting info (you'll have to make your browser translate).

http://jp.access-company.com/products/media/publishing.html

I've not seen any signs of the actual NetFront ePub reader software, but it sounds like it does exist.

wayrad
03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I had just gotten through "Hello World" on a PalmOS simulator when I saw this press release from ACCESS. Apparently, there is already an ePub reader using NetFrontWow, I vaguely recall Netfront - it was for Sony, wasn't it, but in conjunction with CodeDiver could be made to run on other PalmOS devices? The Epub reader sounds cool; I wonder if it works on older (before that invention of the devil, NVFS ;)) OS versions?

radius
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Wow, I vaguely recall Netfront - it was for Sony, wasn't it, but in conjunction with CodeDiver could be made to run on other PalmOS devices? The Epub reader sounds cool; I wonder if it works on older (before that invention of the devil, NVFS ;)) OS versions?

Yes, Sony ran the Netfront browser on some of it's Clies (the TH-55 maybe?)

The browser is available for device makers to build into their MIDs, PDAs, phones etc., and I strongly suspect the ePub reader is the same. You won't be able to download it for free to run on a legacy device like a Palm PDA (unless they decide to release it as some kind of technology demo)

sjaves
03-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Isilox will convert html to the isilo format. Isilox is free, Isilo is shareware but will run after the trial period in a limited (but still readable) format.
Isilox.com and isilo.com