Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Fictionwise and Kindle DX

I really like the Fictionwise site, but I am confused about which formats will work on my Kindle DX.

Here are the formats I think will work:

Adobe [.PDF]
Mobipocket [.PRC]
Kindle [.MOBI]

I am confused about the secure formats

Secure Mobipocket Format
Secure Adobe Format

Will both of those work on the Kindle DX?

If the secure formats work I want to Join their buying club. The combined rebate and discount appear to end up with the best prices on the web.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
No format labelled "Secure" will work on the DX. Only the Multi-format books are readable.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
No Secure format at FictionWise will work "as is " on your KDX. They can all work if you are willing to strip the DRM (encryption). Once DRM-free MOBI and Adobe Format (PDF) will work directly on your Kindle, but LIT (MS Reader) and eReader formats must in addition be format shifted to MOBI by (say) Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Be aware that Fictionwise removes a character from a Kindle PID when you enter it (once you figure it out), so that you would have to use the modified PID when removing the DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

How does one remove, for totally legal reasons, the DRM from the purchased book? Is it time consuming?
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
How does one remove, for totally legal reasons, the DRM from the purchased book? Is it time consuming?
In the US, it probably is legal to circumvent the DRM of ebooks you bought for personal use.

In any case, it is very easy to do but you need some basic knowledge of the command line and how to run python scripts for MOBI and eReader. If you have a Windows PC, ConvertLIT GUI makes removing the DRM from a LIT ebook a couple of clicks and ineptpdf.pyw is also very easy to use on PDFs.

If you buy MOBI ebooks, you would use the PID from your Windows PC (not from your Kindle). Once the DRM has been stripped, the ebook works on any device that supports MOBI including the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
It's extremely easy.

Download something called mobidedrm##.py (different version numbers, latest if 05 I believe... 04 works great).

Put all the books in the same folder as the .py file.

Google, download, and install Python.

Download Mobipocket Reader so that you can get a PID, and enter that into Fictionwise. You don't need the Kindle's PID, and the Mobipocket Reader's PID is easier to obtain.

Once you do this once, the following is all that needs to be done on a regular basis:

Start->Run CMD

for %a in (*.mobi) do mobidedrm##.py %a "%~na.prc" PID

If you're converting PRC, switch .mobi and .prc. I name them with a different extension so that they can go in the same folder with the same name and then I just delete the original files.

In the future, download the books into a directory with the Python script on it, run that line, done!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

Deb,

Are you in Vegas? Is there a user group here? It may sound easy to you, but it is like a foreign language to me!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I AM in Vegas. Hey I'm busy this week but PM me for my # and I can talk you through it next week

Or hey we can just take it in steps. Deep breath ...

Download something called mobidedrm##.py (mobidedrm04.py, mobidedrm05.py ... yahoo works well with this) and tell me when you've done that. Create a directory and put that there.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote