Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
You can resell books on the Kindle

That is, when you sell the Kindle device on like ebay, the ebooks you bought will still be on the device and thus transferable....thus you can build the books into the reselling price of the Kindle device. This is what I did with my Kindle 1 and I got quite a nice price for it.

Not only that....you get to sell the books and still keep them since the ebooks are still on the Amazon cloud and you can download them onto your new Kindle when you get it.

1. Buy Kindle
2. Buy ebooks
3. Sell Kindle and ebooks for nice premium
4. Buy new Kindle (perhaps with new generation) and download old books

...and repeat, might even make a nice profit?!?!?! ok, that is being optimistic....if u do this too much you'd probably get kicked off Amazon.

Thus if I'm a long time customer of amazon and I buy several devices over my life time...I can actually resell the same book multiple times. this could in effect reduce the cost of the ebooks to zero.

Last edited by markbot; 08-06-2009 at 10:51 AM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
First off, I believe that is against the terms of your purchase agreement. Secondly, once the buyer registers the kindle on their own account those books will no longer work.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
First off, I believe that is against the terms of your purchase agreement. Secondly, once the buyer registers the kindle on their own account those books will no longer work.
not sure on this fact. but your nonkindle books would certainly still be on the device after registering.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you do that, you are effectively giving a copy to someone not on your Amazon account, and that definitely violates the terms of sale. It is also unethical, in my opinion.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Secondly, once the buyer registers the kindle on their own account those books will no longer work.
Not true.

Amazon purchased ebooks still work, you just can't redownload them if you delete them off the device.

I bought mine used off Craigslist and it had a few books on it that I read after registering it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Technically you could do this, legally and ethically, not so much.

If this is your new business plan expect Amazon to deactivate your account very soon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
markbot
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Not true.

Amazon purchased ebooks still work, you just can't redownload them if you delete them off the device.

I bought mine used off Craigslist and it had a few books on it that I read after registering it.
Vidicated!!! So why all the discussion that the books are deleted when you reregister them? How did this myth come about?!?!

In any case, this suggestion wasn't a "business plan"...in fact I specifically warn against doing this habitually. But at the same time, if you sell your old kindle and don't include your previously purchased books in the reselling price, then that is simply leaving money on the table. wouldn't u agree?

Mark
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Not true.

I stand corrected. My understanding was registering the device would make current texts on the device unreadable. Naturally it would only affect those purchased at Amazon. I'm actually surprised that they still work, but it wouldn't surprise me if that changes in the future as the resell market expands.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You do not have the right, legally, to give the books to another user.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You do not have the right, legally, to give the books to another user.
I think, ethically (but unfortunately probably not legally) you could sell the books on your kindle, as long as you destroyed any electronic backup copy you had and did not download the books again to a new kindle.

Then it would be the ethical equivalent of selling a used book.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I think, ethically (but unfortunately probably not legally) you could sell the books on your kindle, as long as you destroyed any electronic backup copy you had and did not download the books again to a new kindle.

Then it would be the ethical equivalent of selling a used book.
The issue is that the books are still there available for download. That is the dilemma.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The issue is that the books are still there available for download. That is the dilemma.
One must resist the temptation. Ethically speaking.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
One must resist the temptation. Ethically speaking.
The problem also comes if you have more then one Kindle attached to that account. You'd also have to get permission from every one else who has access to those books.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem also comes if you have more then one Kindle attached to that account. You'd also have to get permission from every one else who has access to those books.
I assume then, ethically speaking, you would have to smother in their sleep anyone with a kindle attached to that account. Just to be sure they do not download the ebooks.

No one said being ethical would be easy.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And Markbot needs to go back to the person he sold the Kindle to, get the books deleted, and give back some of the money he got for them since he's not allowed to sell them.