View Full Version : Mobipocket reader big BUG

naisren
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Anyone experienced the locating backward randomly bug using mobipocket?
PPC and PC mobipockets have this issue.

You can try as the following and watch the page numbers:
turn page back (using button or tap the blank space along sides)
keep doing so and watch the article change and page number change

In my case, I can not expect to go as I do with other ebook readers.
Article Chapter font, position become crazy! Sometimes returns suddenly to the first page from middle part.

It is a shame. I tried to highlight and note in reading and I could not normally check these when turning back.

Nate the great
08-01-2009, 10:18 PM

Article Chapter font, position become crazy! Sometimes returns suddenly to the first page from middle part.

It is a shame. I tried to highlight and note in reading and I could not normally check these when turning back.

I've seen it. It's an annoying but common behavior for Mobipocket.

JSWolf
08-03-2009, 04:40 AM

This is a long standing never-to-be-fixed bug in Mobipocket.

DaleDe
08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Page numbers are not a feature of the format, they are artificially generated in Mobipocket to simulate the book experience but they have always done a poor job. Reading forward it is easy to increment a number which makes it seem to work. Doing a previous page seems to work for a few pages since the reader stores the page position for a few pages when it went forward so it is really like a back function.

Jumping to arbitrary locations is only a approximation based on the file size. This is why you don't get accurate page numbers. It jumps a percentage of the file since this is the only data that it has. Not only does the page number vary but the top of page starts at a different point as well.

This is how it has always been for years and years, although originally it didn't even have the back function.

Dale